When did yours stop needing night time dipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd still uses a diaper for naps and bedtime, but she has told me many times, "NO, no like diaper!" She is 27 months old and has a few accidents here and there. Usually she will have an accident if she has had a lot to drink, fast, and we have company over, which is every week.
Just wondering...when did your little one stop needing a diaper for sleeping?
Also, did you help them in any way? What did you say to them to help them?
TIA
FYI she does wake up dry, most of the time, from her naps, but not from overnight.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 AM

We just recently stopped using diapers for naps- DS has been toilet trained for about 3 months now. If he has a really long nap he sometimes will have an accident, but most of the time we will go potty right before naptime and he will wake up dry. We still use a diaper during the night. Once or twice he has stayed dry overnight, but most of the time he has a very full diaper in the morning.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#3 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not even close here, dd soaks through 2-3 diapers at night. She'll be 4 in May

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#4 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

My mom thinks that in order for her to be dry at night, I have to stop giving her liquids by a certain time at night (including nursing). I just can't bring myself to do that. Wondering if anyone else tries to 'help' their kid be dry at night, or does it come with maturity.
Thanks for your responses.

#5 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 PM

We did EC with my daughter (daytime only) so she was completely diaper-free by 19months. However it wasn't until about 27 months that she stopped needing a diaper at night. It happened pretty quickly. She went from peeing everynight, to pretty suddenly not having any accidents. After 2 months of basically being accident free we got rid of the nighttime diaper. For a few months she would wakeup and ask to go, but now she goes all night and then some.

We didn't do anything to help her. She had liquids and nursed before bed all the time (and still does). Occasionally I would get her up before I went to bed and let her have a pee but only if she seemed happy to do it.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#6 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannie77 View Post
We didn't do anything to help her. She had liquids and nursed before bed all the time (and still does). Occasionally I would get her up before I went to bed and let her have a pee but only if she seemed happy to do it.
THis is good to hear because I don't feel comfortable restricting her liquids. She keep a sippy cup of water on her bed at night. Many nights she'll drink half to three quarters by morning.

#7 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 PM

I noticed Micah was near dry - just the morning pee in his diaper - when he woke a week or so after the first day of no daytime diapers. He was waking to nurse in the morning, and then we spent 20 to 30 in bed nursing before getting up to change his diaper. So, I eliminated the diaper, and we started heading to the potty immediately upon waking. He was dry from then on for the most part - surprisingly few accidents in the 10 months since he last wore diapers. It was just after his 2nd birthday, and he was just ready. Everything he did was led by him.

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#8 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 10:58 PM

Dd was around 3ish when she stopped needing a night time pull up. We didn't restrict liquids (far from it as it's always been the time of day to get liquid in to her) and she just started waking on her own to go potty in the night. She'd been diaper free for about 8 months at that point.

Mama of three.

#9 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 PM

DH has been diaper free during the day since he was 2.5, and at 4 now is still soaked in the morning. I don't restrict his liquids in the evening, but he doesn't drink that much anyway. Unless I start waking him up to pee at night, I don't foresee him staying dry anytime real soon.
#10 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 PM

Our DD is nearly 3 and hasn't needed a diaper for sleeping for a couple months, but when she first tried sleeping with only underwear she had a few accidents in a period of 2 weeks. I told her it was no big deal, but she felt that it was just easier to wear a diaper and not worry about it. Now her diaper is always dry in the morning but for some reason she's not ready to give them up. I guess she's just a cautious girl!
#11 of 34 Old 02-10-2010, 12:15 AM

my dd actualy PL'd at night first. we had been having her sleep sans diaper on a towel or two and a water resistant mattress cover since she was very small. not all the time, but at least once a week to help air out her diaper area. We noticed around 12 mo or so that she wasn't peeing in the middle of the night, and by 18 mo she was night PL'd. She day PL'd at 20 mo.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#12 of 34 Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Limiting liquids doesn't help night time dryness, I'm glad you are listening to your gut on that one! They are dry at night when they are developmentally ready to be, which is a huge range obviously.

DD1 was dry at 2, DD2 is 3 and shows no signs of being dry anytime soon.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#13 of 34 Old 02-10-2010, 12:37 AM

We ED'd (started late, around 7mo), and DD was dry at nights by about 13-14 months old and completely diaper free by 18mo.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#14 of 34 Old 02-10-2010, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
We ED'd (started late, around 7mo), and DD was dry at nights by about 13-14 months old and completely diaper free by 18mo.
Just curious. Do you have to get up to take your dd to the toilet in the middle of the night? Or does she really hold it all night?

I love the idea of EC, but it is intimidating to me. It seems like so much effort is needed to EC.

Thanks to everyone. Guess I'll just wait it out.

#15 of 34 Old 02-10-2010, 11:59 AM

We haven't used a nighttime diaper at home since 4 months old or so, but we do have a waterproof pad on the bed and I generally get up with her at 4am to pee.

For naps, she'll start squirming in her sleep and if I catch it, I can take her to pee without her waking up. But then, she's still light enough to hold up easily.
#16 of 34 Old 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shami View Post
Just curious. Do you have to get up to take your dd to the toilet in the middle of the night? Or does she really hold it all night?

I love the idea of EC, but it is intimidating to me. It seems like so much effort is needed to EC.

Thanks to everyone. Guess I'll just wait it out.
Nope- she holds it!

#17 of 34 Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 PM

We did not EC dd1. At almost 6 (in March), she still wears and floods a goodnight or underjam every night.

We did EC dd2 daytime and nighttime since birth. She was not EC'd at daycare and not much when we were out either. She was probably dry at night before during the day. She probably could have lost the night time diaper sooner since she was dry most of the time for months before we actually did stop using a diaper at night. She wore a cloth fitted diaper at night with no cover. Daytime she had been wearing training pants most of the time at home except when DH was watching her since probably about 15-16 months or so. At daycare they used cloth diapers. So it was really no big deal to wash the night time fitted with the ones that were used at daycare. We went on vacation right before she turned 2 and used pullups all the time. She did so well and we were on the go most of the time. She turned 2 a couple days after our trip. When she left daycare (before our trip) to go to a Montessori school (right after our trip), I decided, I did not want that 1 cloth diaper everyday. How do you wash just 1 diaper a day? So we switched her to training pants at night and when out, and undies during the day at home. After a week or so in training pants at school, I started sending her in undies. She is 2 years 5 months and is in undies full time.

dd2 has not had a night time accident in months, however, Saturday morning she accidentally peed in bed, and last night in the middle of the night too. Hopefully it is just a fluke. She still wakes a number of times at night. When she wakes the first time, I take her potty unless she says no. Other than that, she typically does not need to potty at night.

Also, both of my dds take a cup of water to their room at night. and dd2 still nurses too.
#18 of 34 Old 02-10-2010, 05:32 PM

We EC-ed DS from about 4.5 months onward. He was dry during nap/daytime at around 15 months. We continued using diapers at night until he turned 21 months. He is not restricted in his liquid intake just before going to bed. Sometimes, I take him to the washroom at night if he fusses much.
#19 of 34 Old 02-10-2010, 06:07 PM

I've never night-diapered my kids after they were potty-trained. My youngest DD (32 months) has been in panties day and night since 26 months and has never wet the bed. She still wakes once or twice to nurse so no restricting of fluids here. I don't take her pee in the middle of night either (that sounds like a ton of trouble!). She has no problem holding it all night and I don't think she's unusual. Two of my other kids were the same way. They probably wet the bed a couple times the first week or so of potty-training but were dry after that.

I did have a little trouble with DD2. She started wearing underwear at 24 months by her own choice but had weekly nighttime accidents for a couple months and monthly accidents until past age 3. She was against diapers so I protected the mattress and dealt with the extra laundry.

Shami, I would follow your DD's lead on this. Protect the mattress and see how she does without diapers for a week.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#20 of 34 Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 PM

Both of mine were late: DS was 3.5yo, DD was just 3 when they switched to daytime undies. DS asked for no nighttime diaper only a month or two later. He had 3 accidents, then was dry 100%. DD cut out day and night diapers at the same time and never had an accident.

FWIW: I never restricted liquids. Though if they had a huge amount to drink, then they would get up once in the night to pee. By that I mean DS gets himself up, pees, back to bed; DD tells DS she has to pee and he then wakes DH or I up to take her to the toilet.
#21 of 34 Old 02-10-2010, 11:49 PM

it happened the night we ran out of pullups. I made the executive decision to just quit, and she only had one accident since then. I wish we would have "run out" sooner! I think she may have been ready before I realized it...

SMC to dd 4/07.
#22 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingletwitz View Post
it happened the night we ran out of pullups. I made the executive decision to just quit, and she only had one accident since then. I wish we would have "run out" sooner! I think she may have been ready before I realized it...
This is interesting. Yours is only six months older than mine. So the pull up was just a crutch for her and as soon as it was gone she realized she had to hold it at night, too.

I wonder how the brain tells the body to hold the pee even while we are asleep. There is a maturity factor and a biological factor and I guess a psychological factor involved.

Anyone out there experts on the connections that have to be made between the body and the brain?

#23 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
This is interesting. Yours is only six months older than mine. So the pull up was just a crutch for her and as soon as it was gone she realized she had to hold it at night, too.

I wonder how the brain tells the body to hold the pee even while we are asleep. There is a maturity factor and a biological factor and I guess a psychological factor involved.

Anyone out there experts on the connections that have to be made between the body and the brain?
I think (and this is all just my own personal theory ) that we are born with that ability- that your body just naturally "holds" it. Maybe physically in the beginning it's not possible, but only for infants. By putting kids in diapers, you in a sense retrain the brain to think that it's not necessary to hold it, ever. So when you get to potty-training time, you have to completely retrain the brain of how/when to hold/go (and those muscles, since they haven't been used in years.)

#24 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Allison and Springbabess
Seems like you just went for it and they figured it out.

Maybe I should try it. I just thought that since she wakes up soaked every morning that she prob. wasn't ready yet.

When she potty learned I just went straight to training pants and she got it the first day. It seemed like she just realized, hmm, pee pee down my legs, not pleasant. I think I'll go in the potty from now on. I never used the pull ups.

Do you think that in order to learn to stay dry while you sleep she might need to have some accidents for it to register?

#25 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 AM

Haha. I think your over-thinking it. You won't know unless you try. Maybe it will work and she won't have any accidents, or maybe she will only have a few. Worst case scenario is she continues to wet the bed - so go back to pullups and give her another year. Not the end of the world. Believe me, she won't be in diapers on her first date!
#26 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
My mom thinks that in order for her to be dry at night, I have to stop giving her liquids by a certain time at night (including nursing). I just can't bring myself to do that.
DS is an outlier with this - he was diaper-free at night at 15 months, probably in large part because we've ECed. But... he does drink water just before bed most nights and he NURSES.ALL.NIGHT. If he does drink a ton of water, he's more likely to wake up at 3am and say "peepee" in the sleepiest voice ever and so we take him to potty. For us, restricting liquids obviously isn't necessary.

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::
#27 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 AM

My son is almost 5 and he still wears Goodnights to bed. He's such a heavy sleeper that he simply does not wake up if he has to pee. If he goes without a diaper (such as during a nap) he will wet the bed everytime. Even with a diaper, he wets the bed every week or so. I think there's definitely a genetic component as there's a history of bedwetting in the family.
#28 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
My DD is 38 months and has been potty trained for about a week (to the point where she'll realize herself that she needs to go and will take herself. And for about 2-3 months where she would go if I took her, but only for #1s... #2s still went into her diaper/trainers/whatever).

She is still wet, very wet, at night. Last night, she even soaked through a Pull-up and wet the bed. I do not restrict liquids and she does have a potty in her room that she sometimes uses at night or during a nap.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
#29 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 PM

19 months was the last time DD had a nighttime diaper.

I will say that she wets the bed at night, here and there. Usually when she's skipped a nap or is sick. But its maybe once a month or every six weeks or so.

I think diapering at night can send the wrong message.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#30 of 34 Old 02-11-2010, 07:47 PM

DD was completely day-time diaper free by 18 mos, but wore a night time diaper until she was 2.5. She woke up dry for several months before I just stopped diapering her. IMO, night time diapers are NOT a big deal. If she still needed a pull-up or goodnights or whatever I can't imagine that I would care all that much.

We did not and do not restrict liquids, and when she was nursing (til 3.5) I did not restrict nursing in the evenings.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page