Toy shopping cart recomendations needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dds 2 year b-day is coming up and I would like to get her a shopping cart and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation. I like the idea of the Plan Toys one but at $70 there is no way we can get that for her.

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :
#2 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 01:36 PM

I love wooden green toys but we couldnt afford the good one either. I happened to have a gc for toys r us and wander past a shopping cart for 5 bucks and well thats what ds has, and so far its holding on considering how much its bashed into walls

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#3 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 PM

We have the one by Melissa & Doug and it is awesome. I was able to shop around for a good deal and found it for less than $30. It has a seat for dolls that folds out like a real cart and the wheels swivel.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#4 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 01:39 PM

My DS has the first years shopping cart and it was only $35 here in Canada, we bought it at walmart if that helps

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

#5 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I have to avoid plastic stuff like this because my husband breaks them. I can look where I'm walking so I don't get why he is incapable.

I look around on craigslist for a lot of our wooden toys. I get some sweet deals.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#6 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 01:55 PM

We've got the little tykes brand. I had wanted the step 2 brand, but when we were shopping at christmas time we couldn't find it.

It was easy to set up, and is sturdy and well loved. Even her brothers like it.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#7 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 01:57 PM

I think the wood ones look really nice, but I will say my 2 yo is super happy with his cheap-y plastic one. He has only had it since Christmas, but with four kids putting a bunch of stuff in it, it has held up really well so far.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post
We've got the little tykes brand. I had wanted the step 2 brand, but when we were shopping at christmas time we couldn't find it.

It was easy to set up, and is sturdy and well loved. Even her brothers like it.
Sorry the Step two is the one we have, I just checked, I thought it was the first years one. It is awesome. We only paid $35 for it and it has been used for numerous things that I'm sure that its not supposed to. My fiance insists on pushing our 15 month old around in it My lil guy loves it.

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

#9 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 03:17 PM

We have the Little Tikes one and it is one of my kids' favorite toys--dd (almost 5) still plays with it and ds loves it. We've had it for 3.5 years and it still looks new.
#10 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 PM

We have the PBK one, which is similar to the Melissa & Doug one, metal with a doll seat and strap like a real cart (and a cute little chalkboard on the front.) DD got it for Christmas when she was 18 months and loves to stack her plush in it and push it around.
#11 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 PM

PBK metal w/ chalk board on front, can even hold a 30 lb toddler but be gentle on the wheels - they are easy to replace tho.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#12 of 21 Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 PM

DD received a wooden one from Rosie Hippo from my mom for Christmas. I don't know how much it cost, but I will tell you that it's phenomenally made!
#13 of 21 Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will keep trolling craigslist but I can now put something on the Amazon wish list for the grandparents.

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :
#14 of 21 Old 02-10-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilki8 View Post
We have the Little Tikes one and it is one of my kids' favorite toys--dd (almost 5) still plays with it and ds loves it. We've had it for 3.5 years and it still looks new.
ditto this! My dd is almost 6 and she's been using it since she was probably a little over a year and a half (she started walking at 19 months). So we have had it about 4.5 years. dd2 uses it too. She is 2. It still looks new. It take a beating and keep on ticking!

We like it so much I bought one for my nephew's 2nd birthday. He loves it too!

Sometimes plastic isn't all bad.
#15 of 21 Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrieoseal View Post
We have the PBK one, which is similar to the Melissa & Doug one, metal with a doll seat and strap like a real cart (and a cute little chalkboard on the front.) DD got it for Christmas when she was 18 months and loves to stack her plush in it and push it around.
yup! pottery barn kids one is excellent!

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#16 of 21 Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytonsmommy View Post

DD received a wooden one from Rosie Hippo from my mom for Christmas. I don't know how much it cost, but I will tell you that it's phenomenally made!

Wow.l I've never seen that Rosie Hippo one before. Beautiful.

#17 of 21 Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 PM

My 1st DD had the Little Tikes one (red/yellow?) but it was never a big hit with her. I have a new 18 mo old now (oldest DD is now 10, so it's been awhile since we had a cart!) and I wonder how she'd like it?

I've been looking at the metal Melissa and Doug ones on Amazon for about $35 I think. But I wonder about the quality? 

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#18 of 21 Old 12-08-2010, 04:25 AM

We have the Melissa and Doug metal one too.  He loves it!  We take it to the grocery store with us and it keeps him occupied and he enjoys it cause he's helping.  We get so many comments on it.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#19 of 21 Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 AM

We have the little tykes one and it is 6 yrs old.  DS3 got it for his 1st Christmas.   Now DS4 is playing with it.  It is incredibly sturdy I have caught my 7 yr old sitting on it having my 2 yr old push it. It has gotten TONS of use.    "I" will use it to pick up toys ( load it up and push it back to the play room).   We have a lot of wooden toys but with the amount of time it gets rammed into the walls Im glad this item is plastic.   I have gotten them as gifts for several friends.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#20 of 21 Old 12-12-2010, 02:25 PM

we have the little tykes one too, as does the daycare i work at. i will say though, the older little tykes ones are better. theyre one piece, and i had to put mine together... and sometimes the wheel covers pop off when big kids, like my 8yr old cousin, are playing too rough with it.... the old ones though, man, they can handle anything, including a room full of 2 year olds, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#21 of 21 Old 12-15-2010, 06:57 AM

FWIW, I have the Plan Toys one and I don't think I would buy it again for two reasons.  First, it is really unstable, which isn't as much of a problem now that my son is older but was when he was 1 (he was a pretty early walker and I got it for his first birthday).  Second, the fabric bag has potential to get really dirty.  We have dogs and it is always full of dog hair.  It is removable and can be washed, but it is cotton canvas and I am really afraid of shrinking it.  If I were to buy again I would probably get the metal Melissa and Doug cart. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page