Stroller shopping- please help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-17-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2 /12 year old son w/ mild cerebral palsy. Due to Kansas Medicaid budget cuts, we are on hold to get his wheelchair, so I am in a desperate hunt for a stroller that will accommodate him for a few years. He uses a Crocodile walker to walk short distances, but there are times when we just need a stroller.
Looking for one that is well-built, w/ large sunshade (he's VERY sensitive to bright light) w/ large wheels as we love to go to the lake, park, etc., but must also be able to steer well for doctor visits, museums, etc. Can only afford maybe up to $400. He is 38 inches tall now, and 32 lbs. Would really appreciate any help, have been searching Amazon for weeks now, and I'm dizzy from trying to figure out the best one for him!
#2 of 6 Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 AM

Jogging strollers offer much of what you are needing. Most have large sunshades and all-terrain tires, can accommodate a wide range of sizes (often newborn through 50-70 lbs), and provide easy navigation.

Here are a couple of well reputed brands:

http://www.babyjogger.com/default.aspx

http://www.bobgear.com/

Hope that helps...

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#3 of 6 Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The BOB has the biggest sun shade, it is huge and definitely will block out light. My average sized DD1 could ride in it until age 6.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 6 Old 02-18-2010, 01:48 AM

Did you try posting in special needs? I know a bunch of kids at DS's school have big maclaren strollers but I have no idea what they are called.
#5 of 6 Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A Chariot!!! They're pricey, but oh, lovely. http://www.chariotcarriers.com/
One of the reasons they were developed was actually because one of the developers had a friend with a SN child who needed to be in a stroller for longer than the average kiddo. The weight limit is close to 100lbs (if it isn't 100lbs? It's been awhile since I needed to know this stuff!), and there's a lot of leg and head space. I would recommend the Cougar. They have great space, a suspension system, they seriously can go over *any* terrain. The jogging wheel is great, but it's nice to have the stroller wheels if you're going to be around town/in public as the mean you can basically turn the thing in place. The jogging wheel means you have to rock the stroller back and then turn it - takes up more space. Anyway, the side window panels are UV coated and tinted, and the sun shade was recently made longer/bigger. You can have just the shade down, or the shade plus the bug mesh, or the shade plus the wind/rain cover. You can also buy a kit to easily clip it on to your bike as a trailer, or even a ski kit ($$) to put the thing on skis and pull it via a harness. They're very awesome. And they last forever. We love ours.

For greater things are yet to come...

#6 of 6 Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 PM

I REALLY love my Baby Jogger City Classic. I have the double for my two but I can not say enough about how well made these are and I am sure that is has everything you are asking/looking for. I love that it has a super tight turn radius as well, perfect for maneuvering. There are little clickable videos showing you the features on the Baby Jogger website. I have to say that you can remove the shoulder strap porion of the 5 point harness if you want/need to.

http://www.babyjogger.com/city_classic_sngl_dtl.aspx

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page