a butt by any other name... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post
We use penis and testicles for my son, but lady business or girly parts for my DD, mainly because I do not want my DS going around telling people his siter has a vagina.

Isn't that better than him going around telling everyone she has a penis?

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#32 of 55 Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I use butt/bottom/heiny/rear kind of indiscriminately. "Spank your bottom" just flows so much better. "Get your heiny over here!" "Sit on your bottom, please." "Sit your rear on the potty right now!!" "I need to clean your butt." They all have uses.

[uhhh before anyone panics 'spanking' in this house is accompanied with a lot of laughing and giggling and zero pain or discipline intended.]

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#33 of 55 Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
[uhhh before anyone panics 'spanking' in this house is accompanied with a lot of laughing and giggling and zero pain or discipline intended.]
Our house too. DS is a... um... very physical being. He loves to be chased, tackled, thrown, pink-bellied (shirt lifted up and light fast slaps with both hands while shouting "PINK BELLYYYYYYY!"), zerbert-ed, tickled, and dupa-spanked.

If we ever have a physically sensitive child, I'm not sure what we'll do.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#34 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 01:03 AM

we say butt ( well 2yods has just started saying it) and booty... he hears bottom at daycare. when we're being silly its a booty-butt

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#35 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Bottom. Or very occasionally, royal diasticutis.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#36 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 01:51 AM

Bum.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#37 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 AM

Bumbum or Popo (which is German for Butt).

joy.gif
#38 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post
We use penis and testicles for my son, but lady business or girly parts for my DD, mainly because I do not want my DS going around telling people his siter has a vagina.
Don't you think people might already suspect?

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#39 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Bottom or bum.

We also try to keep things as kid friendly yet technical as possible. Penis for boys and yoni for girls. Once DD is old enough she will also be introduced to TCOYF style anatomy lessons since us ladies have a heck of a lot more explaining to do. lol.
#40 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We say butt. Also, penis, testicles, vulva, vagina but just for the actual vagina - not for the whole vulva area. They're just words and just body parts. Not big issue here. I don't think we ever actually discussed it. We just used the most obvious names.
#41 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 11:17 AM

We say urethra, uterus, labia, vagina, and bottom; DD knows her brother will have a penis and testicles. I do not use "bottom" for the front bits-- one of my midwives referred to my perineum as my "bottom" once, and I thought that was so ridiculous that I resolved to always use correct terminology.

When I was growing up, a lot of kids used "butt" like "ass" (i.e., saying, "You're a butt," or "butt-hole"), so to me, it does seem vulgar (or to refer to the cut of meat).

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#42 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 12:57 PM

butt here too. butt, penis, & balls.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#43 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaterPrimaePuellae View Post
... one of my midwives referred to my perineum as my "bottom" on...
Mine did this too! She said, "How's your bottom?"

Had I been not all foggy and post-partum, I'd have probably replied, "My @$$ is fine, but my perineum is killing me."

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#44 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizznicole View Post
Dupa.
We used Duppie... Coming from a polish family. We use bum mostly but occasionally Duppie and Coo. DP is Portuguese and Coozing (please excuse the phonetic spelling ) is slang for bum (I think)

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#45 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 04:00 PM

we have booties and bottoms, but no butts

The word butt is actually considered a bad word at school so we don't allow it at home either. That and 'shut up' - too harsh.

Mommy to one beautiful boy, born 9/28/08
#46 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 04:41 PM

We say penis and heiny. I don't think he's really noticed his testicles yet though. DS just turned 2 so penis usually sounds more like "peanut" which sort of describes what he's dealing with anyway. He once noticed that the dog has a "fuzzy peanut" which of course sent DH into hysterics. DH now refers to penis' as "fuzzy peanuts".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
Don't you think people might already suspect?
I really lol'ed at this. DS is into figuring out the difference between boys and girls right now. I tell him that he's a boy because he has a penis, and I'm a girl because I don't have a penis. I realize I'm just being chicken here, but after our lengthy dinner time conversation about "peanuts" (Thanks, DH.) at our local pizza joint, I'm just not ready to add, "Mommy has a vagina" to the mix. I probably need to just get over it.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#47 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 PM

Butt for the butt. Coochie and winky (and nuts) for the girl and boy bits respectively. The kids are two and get plenty of exposure to this because we do diaper changes together (one is a boy and one is a girl). We also talk about what mommy and daddy have, respectively. It just gets awkward when we're at the store and DS starts singing out reallllly loudly, "Look mommy, that's a lady, she has milks, she has a coochie, I don't have a coochie, I have a winky, Daddy has a winky, that daddy over there (all men are "daddies" to him) has a winky..." etc etc and on and on. I try to tell him that yes, that's true, but it's not polite to talk about them in public, but it's a bit, erm, awkward...

They do know the "real" words but we don't use them daily. Come to think of it, I *never* learned the words in my native language for girl parts. My mother NEVER used them with me. I'll have to look them up. I learned the English words as a late teen. If there was any conversation about girl parts, which I honestly can't remember a single one, it must have been something like "the area down there" as the general term.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#48 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 09:33 PM

Another vote for "butt" here! But it does make you wonder... there has to be a more anatomically correct term for it!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#49 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
Another vote for "butt" here! But it does make you wonder... there has to be a more anatomically correct term for it!
gluteus maximus

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#50 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 PM

we say bum ("sit on your bum") or butt-cheeks ("i am going to pinch your butt-cheeks!!")

we also say butt-crack and butt-hole ("lemme make sure i wipe all the poop off your butt-hole")

wow, the things you never thought you would be typing....

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#51 of 55 Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 PM

We call it "took-iss" not sure how to spell it hahah but I say it with a funny accent too. It sounds so random but one day when he was a baby I said something abotu his "cute little took-iss" and it stuck! ahhaha.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#52 of 55 Old 02-20-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
We call it "took-iss" not sure how to spell it hahah but I say it with a funny accent too. It sounds so random but one day when he was a baby I said something abotu his "cute little took-iss" and it stuck! ahhaha.
Its yiddish for butt- i have seen it spelled Toches, Tookhes, Tooches, but its all pronounced like you wrote it.

I prefer "butt". it is the shortened version of the real anatomical name, so I think its silly if people think its too vulgar. I have to wonder if those people might also find "penis" and "vagina" vulgar?

After reading a similar thread on here a while ago that talked about a little girl who was told her yoni was called a "bag". She was at school and told her teacher that a boy kept touching her bag and her teacher obviously didn't know what was going on so she couldn't' stop it. After I read that I vowed that we wouldn't use cutesy names for body parts. Especially words like "cookie".

I have only heard "Coochie" used as a sexual reference, so I would personally stay away from that, along with the more vulgar terms. I wouldn't call my son's penis a d**k..
I like Scro, though, as a shortened version of scrotum. we might adopt that (after he learns the real words, of course!)

For me, ts both a safety/clarity issue and an attempt to curb the shame people in this society put around body parts. making the words taboo, inapropriate, funny, etc tend to make the object shameful, IMO.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#53 of 55 Old 02-20-2010, 11:37 AM

Bum, butt, and bottom used in this house. I also use penis and vagina, and DH is getting less and less uncomfortable with using those terms every day. It's hard though, when your 18m/o DD has discovered her vagina and clitoris and insists on playing with them at each diaper change. We also let her run around without a diaper sometimes. Last week, she was sitting next to our cat and the cat flicked his tail into her crotch. She grabbed his tail, looked at me, said "tickle" and proceeded to rub his tail on her vulva. I had to tell her that kitty's tail doesn't belong in her vagina....oh, the things you never thought you'd have to say....

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#54 of 55 Old 02-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
I have only heard "Coochie" used as a sexual reference, so I would personally stay away from that, along with the more vulgar terms. I wouldn't call my son's penis a d**k
That's funny, I've never thought of the term as vulgar before. I've heard plenty of vulgar terms for female (and male) anatomy and wouldn't dream of using them. "Coochie" didn't have that sort of ring to me at all and I've *never* heard anyone use it in a... hmm. A "vulgar" way. Like I can't even imagine it being used in a sexual situation.

ETA: Just like a grown man's penis would most likely not be called a winky. (That was DH's word that he started using with DS early on.) It sounds like a little boy's penis. Coochie sounds like a word for a little girl's vagina. Not a grown, sexual one. Does that make sense? I don't think I'm saying my thoughts very well.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#55 of 55 Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleanani View Post
That's funny, I've never thought of the term as vulgar before. I've heard plenty of vulgar terms for female (and male) anatomy and wouldn't dream of using them. "Coochie" didn't have that sort of ring to me at all and I've *never* heard anyone use it in a... hmm. A "vulgar" way. Like I can't even imagine it being used in a sexual situation.
urbandictionary.com has entries that support both stances.
I guess its a matter of personal reference.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page