S/O What do you call "girl parts"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd turned 2 in Dec. and we have been referring to all of her under-the-diaper area as her "bottom" or "butt" but I'm thinking we're going to need more specific terminology soon. With my son, we use penis but with girls, vagina is not really technically correct for the outer genitalia and for some reason vulva and labia aren't really comfortable (though neither was penis when I started!). What do you call the external "girl parts"?

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#2 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 AM

Vulva, because it is.

Although, I do call her clitoris her "nubby bit" as in "ah, you're playing with your nubby bit, that's called a clitoris, you can play with that in private."
#3 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 11:49 AM

vagina, labia, clitoris, and "yoni" which I got from MDC. For some reason we never used vulva.

As a point, there is no single name encompassing penis, testicles and scrotum so I don't think there needs to be one for a girl. But for us, yoni covered it.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#4 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 PM

vulva, vagina, clitoris (as of yesterday when she asked about her "little penis not growed out yet"), anus. I had forgotten about yoni, THANKyou for reminding me!
#5 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Vulva. We don't have any girls yet though.

Live and love with your whole being.
#6 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM

Vagina.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#7 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Pee-pee

For both boys and girls. For boys the pee-pee is on the outside, for girls the pee-pee is on the inside. The anus is "the little hole where the poo-poo comes out."

So far the private parts have only been used for tolieting and their sexual function hasn't come up.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#8 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM

I told DD1 all the technically correct names of all her parts when she was about 3, and she's asked me to repeat them for her dozens of times. She's five now. Up until then, we talked about her "girl bits" or her "girl parts." If we're dealing with urination, we also say, "pee-pee place" sometimes. Even now at five, she knows all the correct names-- labia, clitoris, vagina, etc.-- but for common everyday situations she still says "girl bits," or just "bits."

DD2 is just turned three, and seems uninterested. She says "bits" too, and when the moment seems ripe I'll start telling her all the correct names.

DS calls his genitals his "pee-pee" although I have told him the correct names a few times. He also sometimes mentions his "boy bits."

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#9 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 PM

Vulva is what we use. DD just started exploring hers.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#10 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM

We use vulva, vagina, clitoris, anus and bottom around here. DD knows that Daddy has a penis.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#11 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 PM

vulva.
#12 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We use vulva here too. I wasn't exactly comfortable with it in the beginning, probably because I never even heard the term until I was in college! The kids are all comfortable with the anatomically correct terms, though. DD1 just came up and said "mommy, the chicken pox on my legs and on my vulva aren't itchy anymore!".

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#13 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 03:09 PM

Vulva, because that's what the outer genitalia is. I've never understood using 'cutesy' names for genitalia- i think it's kind of backwards and repressed.
#14 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 03:13 PM

We've always called it "vulva" with DD(6). As she got older we've gotten a little more detailed with different bits. It took me a little bit to get comfortable saying it, I grew up with "down there".

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#15 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 03:15 PM

Vulva. Because it's correct. But we just say "bum" for her butt and haven't really talked about her anus specifically.

At times we have talked about the fact that pee-pee comes out of your urethra, which is in your vulva. So far she has not been interested in talking about her vagina or clitoris.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#16 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The part you may see if you are changing clothes or diapers is the vulva or labia.. so we've always used those words.

No one sees your vagina except your midwife or your lover.. its hidden from view most of the time.
#17 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 PM

vulva, the vagina is inside the body

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#18 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 04:13 PM

We use the scientific names for everything. Vulva for general area with vagina, urethra, labia, clitoris and anus. DD also knows the terms for male parts.

Our DD has always been very interesting in all things science and biology. Sometimes we do refer to "bum" or "butt" for the part she sits on, but we found that she was trying to use those terms for her vulva and we wanted to be sure she knew the difference. We want her to know what everything is so she can describe things if she has a problem with anything (or anyone trying to touch her).

We have a great book called "It's So Amazing" by Robie Harris. It's for 7 and up, but we got it for DD when she was 5 because she already knew a lot of the basic info. The author also has another book for younger kids called "It's Not the Stork."

We also have books about good touch/bad touch/secret touch. We like "It's My Body" and "A Very Touching Book."

Edited to add: Thalia makes a good point about being specific to the interest of the child. We let DD lead us with what info she wants. For instance, I didn't bring up clitoris with her, but it was mentioned in one of the books (she reads on her own now) and she asked me about it. So I gave her the information in an age appropriate manner.

I just noticed that the OP's child is still very young. I would keep things simple, but use anatomical terms. "It's My Body" might be a good book to start with.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#19 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We call it her ladyhood.

When she's older and is interested in what exactly is down there, I will have no problem telling her the actual names of things. I just don't see the need right now. I call her toes, piggies, but don't think that will lead to any long-term confusion.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#20 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweed View Post
Vulva, because that's what the outer genitalia is. I've never understood using 'cutesy' names for genitalia- i think it's kind of backwards and repressed.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
We use the scientific names for everything. Vulva for general area with vagina, urethra, labia, clitoris and anus. DD also knows the terms for male parts.

Our DD has always been very interesting in all things science and biology. Sometimes we do refer to "bum" or "butt" for the part she sits on, but we found that she was trying to use those terms for her vulva and we wanted to be sure she knew the difference. We want her to know what everything is so she can describe things if she has a problem with anything (or anyone trying to touch her).

We have a great book called "It's So Amazing" by Robie Harris. It's for 7 and up, but we got it for DD when she was 5 because she already knew a lot of the basic info. The author also has another book for younger kids called "It's Not the Stork."

We also have books about good touch/bad touch/secret touch. We like "It's My Body" and "A Very Touching Book."

Edited to add: Thalia makes a good point about being specific to the interest of the child. We let DD lead us with what info she wants. For instance, I didn't bring up clitoris with her, but it was mentioned in one of the books (she reads on her own now) and she asked me about it. So I gave her the information in an age appropriate manner.

I just noticed that the OP's child is still very young. I would keep things simple, but use anatomical terms. "It's My Body" might be a good book to start with.
I was going to say something very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
We call it her ladyhood.

When she's older and is interested in what exactly is down there, I will have no problem telling her the actual names of things. I just don't see the need right now. I call her toes, piggies, but don't think that will lead to any long-term confusion.
Ultimately the point isn't about confusion, but giving your child the ability to communicate accurately about their body, whether for instances of abuse or health.
They can't tell you what the problem is if they don't have the words.
#21 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 PM

I will say that since my daughter has become school-aged she has picked up the term "privates," but it encompasses both boys and girls.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#22 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My daughter has been announcing, "Clean my vuvla!" in public bathrooms since she was about 14 months old. It kind of freaks people out. She is now (21 months) starting to use the difference between vulva/labia/anus/vagina. It was all the vulva for a while because she just couldn't tell the difference. I'm starting to talk about her clitoris because she has found it (oh boy has she ) and I talk to her about good/bad times for playing with her clitoris and vulva. (When you have diaper free time in your bedroom or in the bath tub/during diaper changes or when you are on the potty--ew)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#23 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 08:58 PM

Vulva.

Though, for now, everything is pee-pee to DS

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#24 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
My daughter has been announcing, "Clean my vuvla!" in public bathrooms since she was about 14 months old. It kind of freaks people out.
DS went through a stage where he would yell, "BYE BYE PENIS!" when we put his diaper back on. It was cute, but... yeah. I think I said it ONCE, because he wouldn't take his hands off of it so I could put his clean diaper on, and he picked up on it and it became his new-diaper mantra.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#25 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweed View Post
I would hesitate to call any speech backwards. Do you use the terms urine, urinate, feces, defecate, and gluteus maximus when using EC?

Justine, wife to DH :cop:, mom to DS(14) :, DD(13) and DS(8)
#26 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 10:12 PM

We use vulva, but DD2 has made up her own name "little butt" (as in, at this age, her vulva looks like a smaller version of her "big butt" LOL).

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#27 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 PM

vuvla for the girls, penis for the boys.
#28 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 PM

Vulva. And personally, we do say urinate. Is that weird?

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#29 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Vulva. And personally, we do say urinate. Is that weird?
Nope, just like I don't find the term "pee-pee" weird....My point to the previous poster was simply that we may all use terms that others might find different, but I certainly would not call it "backwards".

Justine, wife to DH :cop:, mom to DS(14) :, DD(13) and DS(8)
#30 of 86 Old 02-19-2010, 12:06 AM

sorry, backwards might be a bit harsh- i didn't mean to give offense, but it is something i feel really strongly about.
I just meant backwards in a quasi victorian sort of way. Like a 'lady' wouldn't say a 'dirty' word like vulva or labia. I think it's healthy and totally empowering to be able to call things what they are. Why is it embarrassing to say labia, but not, for instance, nose??
Also like a pp stated, it is good to teach kids the proper names, so that they can describe things accurately if there are any health related problems, or even sexual abuse issues. What if little Sally were to go to her grandmother and tell her that Johnny at daycare touched her hoo-ha. Well, grandmother might think that a hoo-ha is some newfangled toy, and tell Sally that nice girls shared their hoo-has.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page