Looking for Good Luck in March - Sept 2007 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2010, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sanguine! Good to see you and HIP HIP HURRAY for your Cephalic baby

May baby stay head down and may you have a wonderful, peaceful end of pregnancy and birth experience! Please keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 PM

Hooray for a head down baby!

Where is everybody?

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 PM

stay head down, baby!

recent cute conversations with a two year old:

"I'm me!" "yes, you're you!" "No mama, I'm *ME"" "Yes baby, you're you!" "NO, I'M ME!"

During a diapers change for DS she said "What's that?" (pointing to DSs penis) I replied "A penis." She got quite, wide eyed, and whispered "A Princess????"

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 AM

Hi Sanguine! Hoping for a peaceful birth for you!

Alicia - too funny!!! We are fully in the "why" stage here . Why do people have beds? Why do you have a nose? Every answer is met with "Oh....Because why...?" I tried "go ask your father" but he has a hard time understanding her, so she comes back to me.

Katie - yay! It's almost time!

Our dogs went to the vet today to get rabies vaccinations so we can renew their license. The one has been acting like she has a stiff hip. DH asked the vet about it, and it's degenerative myelopathy - a degenerative nerve thing. No cure, bad prognosis - like 6 months till she can't walk and is incontinent. I'm so not ready for that. And I'm so not ready to have kids have to deal with the death of a pet. DH and the vet are looking into meds, therapies, supplements etc. Maybe we can halt it, or prolong it. I don't know. It sucks.

DS came down with a cold (?) yesterday - including a fever . It was a low, 24 hour fever. He was pretty mellow for 24 hours, but is livening up now. He's still sniffly and sneezy. Wonder who's next, and wonder what it was/is.

I am trying to make this . It all started with an attempt to find princesses for dd1's bday present. I think she's so pretty. She's not going to have bunny ears or a basket - if she even turns out. It's been years (decades?) since I crocheted so my stitches aren't real consistent. But I'm enjoying it so far.

Well, Jamison's in bed without me () but she'll probably realize it soon, so I'd better get in there. Plus I don't have any pink yarn, so I can't do anymore crocheting tonight.

Mama to three  
Old 03-23-2010, 02:24 PM

Love that crochet blog, the hobbes and pippi are really cute! The last time I crocheted was probably a year and half ago, I made a big bear for Liam but he figured out how to detach the arms and legs. I'm sorry to hear about your dog, I hope you can find something to help her

We are getting so close! Andrew confirmed dates with me last night. I won't know the exact day he'll get in until he leaves for the US but I do know when he starts the first leg of his travels, and that's less than two weeks from now Getting the garage door fixed has been my focus so hopefully once that's done it will sink in.

Also irritated that my MIL sent tons of chocolate for Easter when she knows Liam can't have it, because he got into it this morning despite my best efforts to hide it and is bouncing off the walls. Nothing in this house is safe from him. I've been able to find non-dairy substitutes (except cheese) for just about everything which is helping so we aren't limited too much.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 03-23-2010, 04:58 PM

about the "princess". That's too funny.

I'm sorry about your dog Jeanine.

Katie- I'm so happy for you that Andrew will be home soon.

Yann had a 24 hour fever yesterday. He woke up with a headache and fever, then was complaining that the tops of his feet hurt. I plonked him in a warm bath and he perked up and his fever went down. A bit later he was complaining about his feet again, then nursed and slept for several hours. Woke up, nursed, played a bit, then went back to sleep for several more hours. Woke and nursed several times during the night - and he was really hot. Then around 8am today he woke up and said he was all better. Don't know what that was about.

I should really be working on my book this evening - but I chose to clean the bathrooms (including scrubbing the grout with a toothbrush). Now I get internet time as a reward.

In three weeks the kids and I will be heading to Texas!!!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:40 PM

The tops of his feet hurt? That's even weirder than whatever bug we have.

Mama to three  
Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 PM

yeah - there seem to be some weird bugs out there these days.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 PM

yay for homecomings in all their various shapes!!!

boo for weird illness symptoms

other two year old (mis)adventures - While I got ready today I left C. with her toddler safe scissors at the table cutting out pieces from her High Five magazine. I figured DS is with me, what harm done?

.......Her first hair cut happened only a tad sooner than planned...... I may take her in to a shop to clean it up but she didn't do that much damage, and she can now see clearly because she has bangs. I started to get mad/frustrated then I just started laughing because I did the exact same thing with much more gruesome results as a child.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 AM

My then 4yo ds cut dd's beautiful long ringlets off when she was two. She was thrilled. I was sad for a bit. She had been wanting short hair but I just couldn't bear to cut it. The decision was made for me. So much the better!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

I mailed my post cards.

I chose photos of arts and crafts style tiles because the work each of us does is as unique as our children. Mothering is both art and craft. I even tried to match up photos with each of you. Then I took some quoyes I had collected for my note. Can you tell I thought about these? Then I got to the post office to discover they were oversized and needed a regular stamp. Next time I might work to avoid that (not that it broke the bank).

I need to pay a visit to FB and catch up on these growing babies!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Hello again everyone and thanks for the greetings!

Katie- I haven't been blogging. I've just added photo albums here and there. Maybe later in this pregnancy, I'll start again. (if all goes well---week nine, keeping fingers crossed).

Hi Sanguine! I remember your wild birth story! that the baby is head down!

Ok ladies, I posted this but didn't get any response. Probably b/c it is silly to worry about but I was just looking for a head nod or something. So DS is 2.5 now and for about a month or so was doing really well with going peepee on the potty when we took off his diaper and let him run around. He would love to sit and take a book, he closedthe door even and wait for him. He would be so excited and so proud. About 4 weeks ago, he lost ALL interest. He whines to lay down to have his diaper put on, doesn't even want his pants off. DH tried to push the issue when this started happening. I told him after that, that I didn't think it was a good idea to push.
A couple of other things DS was finally saying HI to others when someone said hi to him and he would tell me his name when asked. Now he refuses to do it.
Is this backtracking normal? Should I be worried? I know I could very well be overly sensitive as I'm 9 weeks pregnant and very very tired. But these things are beginning to bother me.
Just want to make sure I'm not crazy!!!
TIA.

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
Old 03-26-2010, 05:01 PM

Hi Nikkihoi- I think it is pretty normal to have potty-learning regressions.

Is he talking otherwise, other than saying his name and hi?

I will come back later.

I can't come up with a coherent response because my head is killing me and Yann wants to nurse and twiddle my nipples every time I sit down AND he's got really bad gas that SMEEEELLLLLS....

I haven't even started on the postcards. I must not be a flake. hope to get some done over the next week.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:49 PM

Nikkihoi - that sounds pretty normal to me. Liam has regressed a lot with the potty but I got him to use it a couple of times today while he was wearing underwear. I think two year old's battle with independence and assertiveness but they demonstrate it in situations that seem kind of off to us, things that they normally like to do or things that we don't think they should react that way too. That is my biggest frustration yet with this age.

I'm waiting on mine because we're doing pictures at the end of May, unless you want them sooner than that

We're currently watching Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs before I get busy with dinner. Laine's third tooth finally popped through, kind of funny to see her with two top teeth. Liam is still testing my patience a lot the last few days with hitting Laine. I really want to get rid of the pacifiers with him, he went back to them over Christmas. If he doesn't have the pacifier he sucks his thumb, fingers, toys, etc. He's never been a thumb sucker until now. This is a sensory thing for him I guess. His teeth are pushed out of place and he has a gap between his top and bottom teeth where his pacifier sits. I'm not sure what I can do since we're dealing with both, I assume it's pretty uncommon for a kid to start sucking their thumb when they're 2 and a half.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:38 PM

regarding postcards: I haven't done mine, either

But then, Passover starts Monday and I have yet to kasher the kitchen/house

Old 03-28-2010, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How did I STILL not get in on this thread?

Sanguine and Nikkihoi, glad to see you back! And congrats on the new babies!

Speaking of which....

I just got Judah a "BIG BROTHER" shirt.

My big boys put together a song and dance to announce:
http://gallery.me.com/jeremeybarrett#100184

Due in November.

I can't begin to catch up... But am planning to find some local-themed postcards and get those out. Did we have a deadline? I work better with deadlines.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:19 AM

For babies! I need to download quicktime to watch but I am so excited for you, how wonderful!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:21 AM

Ya'll are giving me baby fever but I INSIST this time, none for me for at least another year.....unless the Army gives me my husband back for a while .

Old 03-28-2010, 11:06 AM

COngratulations Heather!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats Heather!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 PM

YAY! Congratulations, heather

Old 03-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Yay Heather, congratulations!

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
Old 03-29-2010, 02:12 AM

Thanks, mamas! I took Judah to church in a "Big Brother" shirt, and I couldn't believe that people didn't get it! SEVERAL people said, "Is that a hand-me-down/his brother's/etc.?" A close friend of the family said, "Aww, are you getting big, Judah?" Umm... He's the baby! Why else would it say "BIG Brother?"

Of course, being #4, everyone wants to know if this is really good news or not. We were both surprised, at least by the timing. DH moreso, of course! But we HAD been talking about another, and about the likelihood that we'd eventually have one as we're not really either TTC or TTA. So, yeah. Anyway. It's a little irking to have everyone be like, "Wow! Really?? Another one?! Did you mean to?!?!"

Funny story... I called my dad Wednesday to tell him, but he didn't answer and didn't call back. Apparently he found the voicemail last night, and texted me to say he'd call today. So he called, and he just started laughing when I told him he might want to come for my birthday (after Christmas) to meet his new grandchild. He said that when he got the message, he told his girlfriend, "She's calling to tell me I have a new granddaughter." And his girlfriend said, "I know!" Funnier, still, is I keep wanting to say, he should come meet his new granddaughter, and I have to stop and change it to GN. I really, really want to be prepared for either, but it's still really cool to have others think it is for sure a girl.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Ok so it’s almost April now so I figured I should login to March . I don’t know where this month went to. Facebook is making me really bad at logging in here.

Sabo I so agree with you with DH – you can’t reinforce not lying with spanking. The crime doesn’t fit the punishment – how does one relate to the other in a child’s mind? I try to make “punishment” relatable to whatever the “offense” was – ie throw a truck, lose the truck that kind of thing. What is up with these guys?? Seriously.

Plaid I’m sorry about your neighbor. I can’t imagine you “abusing” anyone’s anything. That’s just crazy talk.

Sangine and lots of support. You are so courageous to attempt such a birth with so much stacked against you. that it goes how you want it to.

Faliciagayle at “a Princess!” That’s about the cutest thing I’ve heard in a while. So funny!! about the “first haircut” – I keep waiting for that one. I have been trying to grow DS’ hair for a while, but it is still pretty short. I know I did the same thing to my mom and a week before a wedding that I was in – thankfully some creative babies breath covered up my boo boo

Jeanine I your doll crochet pattern. I’m a knitting freak these days. It’d be fun to make something other than a baby hat This kid will NEVER have a cold head – that is for sure!

Katie that Andrew is coming home!! I hate how every holiday seems to revolve around sugar and presents – it’s nice to not be the only one who feels that way. I’m the “scrooge” around our families because I always have a problem with it, but I don’t understand why it’s ok for everyone to sabotage our parenting choices and yes, diets are our parental decisions!!

Mommajb good for you on the post cards. I still haven’t gotten my act together there!

Heather Congratulations mama!!! I’m so happy for you, especially given all the stuff you’ve had going on lately. Hope you’re feeling good. Sorry people are being dumb That’s frustrating, but at least your dad is on the same wavelength.

Well DS has been super-clingy lately. I want to just sit in my house, in my PJ’s and never get off the couch with him. I’ve been waiting for 2 ½ years for him to want to cuddle with me and he picks NOW??!! Life couldn’t be crazier, more hectic, or jam packed of stupid stuff to do than it is right now and he picks NOW??!! Oh, life, why do you test me?? All I want is to love and hug my little boy until my arms fall off. I’m seriously contemplating taking a week or so off before the arrival of this little guy and just spend it with my current little love. I feel like this time is fleeting so fast and I don’t want to feel like he missed something This is SO hard!!

and to all of you. I hope April will be a good month for us…March seems to be going out on a high note and we all SO need it!!

Jessica - I my guys!! DH Marty (4-22-06) DS Marty (7-2-07) DS Anderson (4-12-10)
Mighty-Mama
Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 AM

Heather - I get girl feelings as well, are you going to find out or wait until birth day?

Liam has taken the reigns on potty learning the last couple of days. I had abandoned it a while ago because he just wasn't interested. A few days ago he told me he had to poop and asked for his diaper off, and then lo and behold he used the potty. Since then he's had intervals during the day where he asks to go diaper-less and use his potty, but I leave it totally up to him. It's certainly more progress than we've made in a while so I'm happy with letting him decide how he wants to do with it now that he's interested. I think he's motivated by the fact that he likes washing out the little container in his potty and using the sink. We've tried underwear but I think it reminds him too much of a diaper so he pees in it.

I'm starting to get apprehensive about Andrew coming home. It's totally normal and I know that, one of the emotional stages of deployment and all that. I'm just worried about the transition for all of us. As hard as it is to be a single parent, I'm used to it. I can be a bit of a control freak, I think it's part of the territory, so it's kind of scary to hand over responsibility to somebody else. Liam knows who dad is but has no memory of what it's like to have another parent. I have no idea how Laine is going to react and whether she'll have attachment issues with him. I worry about Andrew and the emotional transition he has to make. I'm excited and relieved that he'll be home, I'm just worried about learning how to function as a family again.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:12 AM

Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 AM

Katie. I remember last time he was coming home how anxious a time it was, too. I hope it goes really smoothly for ALL of you. I'm sure you have lots of resources there on how to handle the transition, but if we can do anything, let us know!

I'm expecting we won't find out baby's gender until birth. My suspicion is girl, but I've been wrong TWICE with that leaning. Though, both of those times, it was a more logic-based decision, where this time, it's more of a strong feeling. I know we'll be fine with a boy, too, but EVERYone is wanting a girl. And it would be quite an adventure to have one!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 AM

Thank you. I keep telling myself that it's okay to feel how I feel but it's how I act that matters. I've said in the past how much of a worrier I can be, perhaps it's an anxiety thing, I don't know. R&R was a bit different because it was more like a vacation, neither of us really prepared to adjust to life together, we were just really happy to see each other. It was really overwhelming for him to try and deal with two kids then, and even for me it's only become more of a challenge now that they're older. I think I got a sneak peek then of what we're in for now. I'm sure we'll be okay, I just want it to be a smooth transition and not too traumatic for the kids but it is what it is.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Oh Katie, isn't it odd how stressful his leaving and his return is? I know it's normal and I've only gone through it either on a shorter time frame or without children but you are right about builing a daily life alone and then needing and wanting to welcome him back into the fold. It will be an adjustment for everyone, a happy time but not a time w/o some tension.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Oh Katie, isn't it odd how stressful his leaving and his return is? I know it's normal and I've only gone through it either on a shorter time frame or without children but you are right about builing a daily life alone and then needing and wanting to welcome him back into the fold. It will be an adjustment for everyone, a happy time but not a time w/o some tension.
You're right and I just keep telling myself that I should feel elated and having feelings that are off during a time that should feel happy seems really wrong to me. But I hear about it time and time again from people who've been in my shoes before so I guess it's normal. I know that he's coming home a different person in a lot of ways because of what his daily life has been like, a harder person than he was before. And perhaps I'm a harder person as well.

User Tag List