It's March! ~ Feb '08 babies ~ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 86 Old 03-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have book recs/advice for parenting an intense toddler? Robin is running us ragged. She seems so unhappy most of the time and we don't know what to do about it. I try the gentlest redirection techniques possible and her feelings get hurt. I can suggest alternatives to something and she freaks out screaming.

In general I'm feeling like a failure at life. I feel like I'm trying to do too many things and am doing none of them well. I'm very discouraged and disappointed in myself right now . I wonder if I can be a good mother and still finish my PhD.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 86 Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
WOW! All the Feb 08 babies are getting so big and some are big brothers and sisters! Congrats to everyone. I am so glad to see everyone is doing so well. It's been so long since I've been here. We just celebrated Gracie's second birthday on Jan 5th and she's so big now. About 6 months ago she was finally diagnosed iwth asthma and put on daily maintenance meds, which have made a world of difference in the amt of times she's come down with respiratory illnesses and the amt of times we visit the ER. About 2 weeks ago she decided to potty train out of the blue and has been dry for a week without accidents. It's been quite eye-opening to see her being so grown-up! Doesn't really feel like they are all babies anymore. Gracie is so independent. She loves to feel like a big girl dressing herself and cleaning up her own dishes after meals and putting her own shoes on and such.
It's so good to see you all and read all about your children. I remember us all being pregnant. Seems like just yesterday and yet now we have these independent toddlers. It's amazing to me.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#33 of 86 Old 03-15-2010, 02:49 AM
Dea

HI everyone! I've been busy sorry.
Rynna, it must be exciting about your weight loss, but when you get your teeth fixed, be careful, you could gain it so quickly considering you lost it quickly. (sigh story of my life!) About big bones, I read somewhere that if you grasp your wrist with your thumb and forefinger and they touch you're normal bone sized, if your fingers overlap you're small boned and if there's a gap your large boned.

Megan, I hope you're feeling better! I wish I could give you real hugs!

Lauren, I'm waiting to hear what people suggest for Robin, Trixie is a busy toddler and I suck at all of the redirection and I want to see what people suggest. Sometimes she's really sensitive, but mostly she's defiant and strong willed. (I totally know where she gets that from!)

Who asked about NOS? She's around, she pops in and leaves messages here and there. She's spending less time on the computer and so somethings are not getting as much attention. (sorry Rynna, I think you're wrong) She's on facebook....

I think Trixie might have a UTI, I get to talk to the doctor tomorrow. I hope not.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#34 of 86 Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
Anyone have book recs/advice for parenting an intense toddler? Robin is running us ragged. She seems so unhappy most of the time and we don't know what to do about it. I try the gentlest redirection techniques possible and her feelings get hurt. I can suggest alternatives to something and she freaks out screaming.
Is it possible that she has too many options? Toddlers (actually a lot of kids of all ages) are often overwhelmed when they have too many choices, too much going on. Simplification might help a lot. Instead of, for example, asking "What would you like to wear?" you offer two choices and let her choose one; Instead of a huge box of toys, you have two or three choices available at any given time. Then of course, there are other causes. Maybe she's not getting enough sleep, or her blood sugar is crashing, or she's anemic, et cetera, et cetera, and so forth. Does she freak out at particular times, or over particular things? I hope you're able to figure it all out soon, for both of your sakes. I often feel like a failure at life, too. There's nothing like an unhappy child to make you reevaluate every single choice you've made since their birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
HI everyone! I've been busy sorry.
Rynna, it must be exciting about your weight loss, but when you get your teeth fixed, be careful, you could gain it so quickly considering you lost it quickly. (sigh story of my life!) About big bones, I read somewhere that if you grasp your wrist with your thumb and forefinger and they touch you're normal bone sized, if your fingers overlap you're small boned and if there's a gap your large boned.
Yeah, I've heard that too. I've got more than an inch between mine when I try it. Like I said, they're HUGE. I have thought about what will happen when my teeth are repaired, but right now I think my diet probably isn't the primary reason for my weight loss, or even a secondary one. I think that being off of hormonal birth control helps a lot, and that I might have an overactive thyroid. That would explain not only the weight loss but the inability to sleep without massive doses of drugs and my hair falling out. I'm going to see my doctor on the second of April, and ask her to run the thyroid tests as well as some hormone panels (because that could be it, too). Hopefully I can get things balanced out... but given the choice between being smaller and getting sleep, I'm going to choose sleep. I'd rather be a size 20 and be able to sleep whenever I like than be a 10 and only get two hours of sleep out of 24.

Quote:
Who asked about NOS? She's around, she pops in and leaves messages here and there. She's spending less time on the computer and so somethings are not getting as much attention. (sorry Rynna, I think you're wrong) She's on facebook....
Well, that's a) when she stopped posting to this thread and b) when she unfriended me (and Helen, as I recall) so it seemed a logical and obvious conclusion to draw.

Quote:
I think Trixie might have a UTI, I get to talk to the doctor tomorrow. I hope not.
UGH. Boobah had quite a few of those as a little person and they sucked horribly. I hope she's feeling better soon.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#35 of 86 Old 03-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Dea

Trixie may or may not have a UTI. She's peeing fine, but there are still some baffling issues. sigh.
okay small man calls for Mama.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#36 of 86 Old 03-16-2010, 11:43 AM

How are you all surviving the time change (for those affected)? Holly is staying pretty consistent but Robin is all messed up and waking twice at night.

Feeling a little less doom and gloom about life with kids and being a student... one day at a time, I guess.

Dea, hope Trixie doesn't have a UTI... it's so hard to figure them out sometimes, isn't it? Robin isn't quite to where she can tell us something hurts. We had no idea she had an ear infection 2 weeks ago.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#37 of 86 Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 PM

Poor Trixie, hope it's nothing as bad as a UTI.

Lauren, so far we're doing ok on the time change, I think. The big kids love it because they can wing outside and run around, ride bikes (well that's more because of the weather than it being light by the time we're home). DD still has to stay inside if DH or I are working on something in the house (cooking or some such).

Ok, let's talk going potty. Because DD has been telling me, DH and the babysitter occasionally that she has to go potty. However, that's usually right after she's already gone in her pants. Now this morning, as we were getting her dressed, I took off he diaper and she said "I have to go to the bathroom." So she went and did her business, her favorite part being the dump and flush.

This leads me to believe she might realize when she has to go, but just lets loose when the diaper's on, I think she knows she can't when there's no diaper on (well that's just my inkling). This time, she told us she had to go before she peed when she was sans-diaper. I wonder if we should get her some big-girl undies and see if that inspires her to tell us before going? We don't really do diaper-free time well since 1. she's at the babysitter's house most of the day and 2. I just have no interest in cleaning messy house, I'd rather clean messy clothes.

So how does this work? DSD and DSS were much older when they did the potty thing.

signature currently in transition
#38 of 86 Old 03-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Dea

So Trixie prolly doesn't have a UTI, she hasn't told me that her bum hurts in a couple of days and there is no more pus in her diaper. (that's why I was freaking out) I have no idea waht it was, doctor isn't concerned and it's seems to have passed, YAY for a good immune system. She never had a fever or any sores. I have no idea.

Teeny... so here I am in potty central. Trixie has 2 and 2 seats for the toilets (one on each floor) and Hudson has a potty. Guess who's more reliable for telling me that they need the potty? (yeah HE tells me!) hmmm...

#39 of 86 Old 03-17-2010, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my, I forgot to tell you ladies that Bear pooped on the potty last week. It was very exciting for me. I don't think he's really close to learning but I do have the impression that he's going to be one of those quick and easy kids where the toilet is concerned (unlike Bella). It actually made my heart race to think of Bear moving out of diapers some day this year.

Teeny, in your situation I vote for long shirts/dresses and naked buns. At this point, big girl underpants will be confusing and she'll probably pee in them. It's getting warm, she does well with the buns out so go ahead and set them free. When she's using the potty consistently for a while, you can introduce the underpants. Best of luck!

#40 of 86 Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 AM

Robin asked to use the potty last night before bath time -- completely out of the blue. We have a bjorn potty but it's in the garage so I held her on the big potty, which kind of freaked her out. I was kind of hoping she'd hold off on being interested in the potty for a few more months I'd prefer to mess with training over the summer -- warmer, easier clothes, Holly won't be a NEWBORN, etc etc. So I'm not really encouraging it, although I'm of course not DISCOURAGING either. I think she'll be ready soon, though. She sees her friends use the potty at daycare so I know that's an incentive.

Robin actually slept through the night last night for the first time in weeks! I really wish this would become a habit she often wakes up more than Holly does. Crazy kid.

What cute things are your kids saying? Robin is full of adorable phrases right now...

"Mommy my do it" means that she wants me to do something... "Robin my do it" means she wants to do it herself.

She's really into narratives about missing people. This all comes from the Jack Black episode of Yo Gabba Gabba . "Miss Dada. Crying. Back soon!" That's the story -- I miss someone, I'm sad/crying, but they'll be back soon so now I feel better!

She also does this for injury/being upset in general. "Holly crying. Dada hugs. And Mommy hugs. Better." This comes from a few months ago when she and I fell on a box while I was pregnant and we both cried, and then Brian hugged us and we felt better. It was kind of a traumatic experience for her and she kept talking about me tripping over the box and crying, so I really emphasized the Daddy hugs to make us feel better, and now it's part of any commentary on people crying (including people on TV, men women old young, animals, etc -- Daddy hugs will make them all feel better!).

#41 of 86 Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Bear likes to talk about everything. Lately he's very interested in shoes, especially Bella's because they're pretty and because they're big enough for him to just slide in to but small enough for him to actually walk. I feel kind of bad about the fact that there just aren't that many shoes around here.

He really like to identify things-- animals, shapes, letters and numbers, people, colors-- he does so with the same enthusiasm and in the exact same voice unless he isn't sure about something. We had a very funny conversation last week which made me giggle because it reminded me so much of myself. Baby logic is absolutely hilarious to me. So is watching a child who is dressed in his sister's clothing push a truck down the hallway screaming, "BEEP BEEP! VROOOOOOM!"

In other news, a good friend of mine is going to make me a corset! I'm excited; She's really really good. If I had to pay for something like this out of pocket it would run me around $560, but she knows I can't afford that so we'll be working out something else. I'm so stoked. I asked her if she had ever thought about sewing for children (she doesn't have any of her own yet, she's having trouble conceiving ) because there's a huge market for period clothing for children, especially little boys, and I think she could do really well at it. She said it hadn't really occurred to her, but she was excited about the idea. Even if she decides to stick with princess dresses for little girls, she could do really really well working at home and doing custom work. I'm looking forward to hanging out with her and discussing it more. I'm also thinking of asking her to sew some skirts for Bella, who absolutely loves long skirts but who does not have the hips to hold anything up. She can still quite comfortably wear an 18-24 across the hips but she needs a five or even a six for the length she wants. Both of my girls have this issue, but in Boobah's case it's more because she has short legs than anything else. At least Boobah is willing to wear pants. Bella FREAKS if you ask her to wear pants unless they're under a skirt or dress.

Mike took the kids to the park. It's very quiet in here. I'm going to have a snack and then do some cleaning. I hate cleaning, but I ought to take advantage of the peace while I can.

#42 of 86 Old 03-17-2010, 08:13 PM

Terran's been in the midst of a language EXPLOSION, lately! He was one of the first DDC babes to say a recognizable word but then everybody else caught up and surpassed him, so I haven't really posted much about language for awhile; I never really thought he needed early intervention services, but I didn't want to sound unsupportive of moms who thought their los did,iykwim

Anyway, I'm FINALLY ripping apart my network and joining the 21st century, so Terran's been hearing a lot of computer talk and I love the way he says "reboot". When we got back from a David Rovics concert, he started saying "I'm a better Anarchist than you" and giggling. He loves to sing and neither of us care if he doesn't always get the words right.

As far as potty talk, he appears to be 99 44/100% reliable with pee, but I put a diaper on when we go out just in case since he doesn't mind too much. Pooping is still traumatic and he still won't sit to do it.
#43 of 86 Old 03-18-2010, 04:11 AM
Dea

Rynna, baby logic is funny for me too. I love to see how Trixie's mind works and I am quite proud that she's so quick! The other day we were talking about Hudson's penis and I asked her if she had a penis and she told me no, she has a pee bum. heh.
Anyhow! YAY NOS it's nice to see you here again, although I've seen you around here lately anyhow!
I am off to bed, I have to get a root canal at stupid o'clock in the morning, although I would rather stay up all night and work on a skirt for Trixie. I"m making her a pettiskirt... it's going to be adorable.
Stupid dental work... although it's better than losing the tooth! (it's a front tooth! and I"m going to be vain and pay the extra for them to bleach the insides of the tooth to get rid of the staining from the previous root canal.)

#44 of 86 Old 03-18-2010, 10:10 PM

I'm tired...

This week was my first week back on the job and I got mandatoried for a double shift Tuesday night. Thankfully I come prepared for that eventuallity and had extra storage bottles for my milk. Thank goodness they have a refrigerator for officers to put "food" in My pump gets a lot of giggles and comments from the male officers My favorite joke is to offer a bottle of milk when they say they are thirsty I get worried though that I can't pump enough for Tristyn. I have thus far it seems, but I don't have a stash in the freezer to supplement in the event of a low output night. I'm planning to spend the next two days (glorious days off!) nursing in and pump as well to try and get a small stash for emergencies.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#45 of 86 Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Right on, Sarah Lynne. Oatmeal is really helpful. I always had oversupply issues, and when Bean was little I was eating a ton of oatmeal because it was simple for me to make and eat that week he was in NICU. I actually groaned aloud when I learned that the oatmeal played a role in my painfully swollen boobs.

Dea, how's your nursing going?

#46 of 86 Old 03-19-2010, 01:57 AM

About potty stuff: I tried as best I could, but DS2's surgery stuff meant that I couldn't really EC him and let him run nakey bum as much as I wanted, because there was this awkwardly placed stoma by his belly-groin crease where he would leak pee from the age of 4 months to 18 mos, when he had the second surgery.

My other 2 kids were out of diapers and reliably dry during the day by 26 mos and 24 mos. This guy is slowly catching on. If I leave him nakey butt, he will go to the potty ON HIS OWN INITIATIVE to pee--most of the time. Maybe 1-2 accidents during the day. The last two days, he even went to poo on his own

Of course, all bets are off once clothing is involved, so these triumphs are strictly for home viewing, as it were...

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#47 of 86 Old 03-20-2010, 12:58 AM

Sarah Lynn, I agree with the oatmeal and Mother's Milk Tea also helped me when I would need to pump. I can mail you some if you want.

My sister is pregnant!!!! I can't tell anyone IRL yet so here I am telling my favorite women online!! I'm really excited for them! They've been married for almost 4 years and she's the one that have a lot of mental health problems and had to live with me and all these really difficult/stressful things. Well she's been feeling good for a year now and actually off all of her meds for over 6 months. It wasn't planned, but they weren't preventing either so..... I'm going to do my very very very best to only offer info when asked (She know's how I feel about things) and I hope she asks me to be her doula, but I won't offer that either. This may be a difficult 9 months for me!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#48 of 86 Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Congrats, Sarah! My sister is planning to get pregnant in the next year or so and I know I will have to hold back a lot (but I also know she has been really inspired by my experiences and will likely seek a natural birth with a midwife). I've told her I'm happy to share what/when she wants me to but that I don't want to push her in any direction (even though I'm obvs invested in her birth experience, because I love her!).

#49 of 86 Old 03-21-2010, 09:09 AM

Wow, congrats Sarah. I can only imagine how hard it is to not get overly involved with family when it comes to babies, especially when you are so passionate. I am sure you will be just FINE. You are so thoughtful and sensitive.

Great to see you NOS. I have missed you here in the DDC.

Sarah lynne, you seriously rock

Potty learning Hillel says no no no. He insists on pooping on all fours and when he is nekkid, he pees pretty much anywhere.... sigh. I am hoping he will get out of his no no no phase. Just this morning I asked him if he wanted his snack, and he says no, no, no, while taking it I have greatly reduced using language with him - I just do stuff, like get dressed, eat, go to sleep etc. If I warn him verbally, I am setting myself up for rebellion.

I am feeling much better. Despite talking to my fathers new partner yesterday for the first time . It did not go brilliantly as she told me I should only speak English with Hillel and not confuse him by speaking both languages. I politely told her it is not possible, but we do have an English at home rule and Hebrew in public way of living. It is just not practical to speak two languages in public for me. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt, I am sure she was really stressed out talking to me, and probably really did not mean to be advising me just yet.

Gosh, I am so nervous about meeting her in July now.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#50 of 86 Old 03-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Rolling in to say hi!

We've been doing lots of nekkie time with Steven and putting him on the potty although he has yet to go in the potty. He's got some sort of rash on his bottom that we can't figure out. I don't think its from the diapers because Tristyn wears the same ones without issue as well as my niece Lily when she's here with no issue. Hopefully it will clear up soon.

His language has exploded over the last 2 months. He is a lot more articulate than Austin was at this age. He surprises me daily with the amount of knowledge and understanding he has.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#51 of 86 Old 03-21-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
We've been doing lots of nekkie time with Steven and putting him on the potty although he has yet to go in the potty. He's got some sort of rash on his bottom that we can't figure out. I don't think its from the diapers because Tristyn wears the same ones without issue as well as my niece Lily when she's here with no issue. Hopefully it will clear up soon.
Different buns respond differently. I don't even know anyone else who breaks out in hives and wheezes if they're exposed to sandwich crumbs, but Bear does every time.

I took a new picture for my Facebook profile last night and one of my friends said I could pass for fourteen. Dude, no way! It's hilarious, but it's kind of disturbing to me. I thought I looked at LEAST 25.

#52 of 86 Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 PM

More Terranisms:

"Nay Nay Han"=Sinead O'Connor

For awhile all music was "Bach".

"Hello? Bubba? Go! Ducks! Now!" (usually spoken into his nonoperational cell phone) meant that he wanted to pick up his brother and go for a driving lesson. (the ducks are cheap, phlalate-ridden plastic toys that ds1's credit union was giving away as a promotional and we compromised by keeping them in the car)

"dog bowl!" = "I need to pee" (the "magic bullet" for ending his potty strike was to use a large dog's water bowl for a urinal, so he could stand to pee. His aim has improved to where he can stand to use the BBLP now and, since he's a guy, he likes to pee in all manner of bowls, cups, bottles, tupperware, etc. but for some reason anything you pee in is called a "dog bowl".

"towel butt" =diaper or "I need to poop and I want you to be prepared to clean it up immediately when I do"

I'm hearing a lot more complete sentences these days and some of them are easily intelligible to people who don't know him, so I'd better write down all the cute baby sayings somewhere before I forget them.
#53 of 86 Old 03-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Dea

breastfeeding....

I talked to my ob about fenugreek and domperidone and she thinks that I don't need to take anything that it won't do anything now, says I"m past the point of them helping since Hudson is older.... I don't know. I don't want to stop them.

Anyhow I nurse him several times a day, and he swallows. He puked up my breastmilk the other day and it filled my hand, which I am sure made all of you cringe, but saved me cleaning the floor and I could see how much! I pumped a full ounce yesterday which is HUGE for me, I've never been able to pump more than half and ounce. I'm sure he gets more than that when he does breastfeed, but still it was nice to see it. I added it to his bottle that Adam was giving him. (it was the middle of the night) and he didn't even finish it. sigh.

We booked our tickets for New Zealand, yay! I'm nervous to not take my pump though! I guess I"ll just use my little human pump, he's more efficient!

#54 of 86 Old 03-21-2010, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
I talked to my ob about fenugreek and domperidone and she thinks that I don't need to take anything that it won't do anything now, says I"m past the point of them helping since Hudson is older.... I don't know. I don't want to stop them.
Older than what?

Quote:
Anyhow I nurse him several times a day, and he swallows. He puked up my breastmilk the other day and it filled my hand, which I am sure made all of you cringe, but saved me cleaning the floor and I could see how much!
What does it say about me that I laughed out loud? Being a parent is gross, that's one of the reasons babies are so cute.

#55 of 86 Old 03-22-2010, 12:54 AM

hi everyone!!

i love reading about all these little baby, ahem, toddler stories!

the language is awesome. linnaea is just so sweet about everything, "here you go," "thank you," "oh, okay,".

she can also do all the ten shapes in the tupperware red/blue shape sorter on her own and she knows, get this, circle, diamond, square, almond, rectangle, and dome.

the dome has a funny story, the same book has a semi-circle and so she points to it and says "dome." and i told her, "well honey, that's sort of a dome, it's upside down." so she turns the book around so the shape is pointing the other way and says, "dome" and i was like, "well, yes, i guess it is a dome now."

she also LOVES puzzles. like, she'll do the ones i bought for lazlo that he never touches. we have this one: http://www.hapetoys.com/Product.asp?ID=BEL17125

and she will take all the pieces out, one by one, and then flip them over, one by one, and then if you start at one side of the ocean for her she will grab the continents and put them where they belong. she even rotates them to make them fit.

i am totally bragging but it sometimes amazes me her ability to manipulate shapes in a way lazlo never did (and still doesn't).

she occasionally pees on the potty but it's mostly by chance when she's naked. every time i am motivated to let her go we end up with pee everywhere (on the carpet) and i just can't do it.

lauren- every mama i know doing a PhD has said it's _incredibly_ difficult. i admire you so much for keeping on with it.

dea- yay boobies making milky!! poor trixie, it sounds ouchie whatever it was, i'm glad she's feeling better.

megan- i really hope that your dad's new partner is a wonderful woman that just came across wrong because she was nervous. like, there are so many benefits to being bilingual it's not even funny.

sarah lynne- s how's tristyn doing with you working?

rynna- my cat was hyperthyroid and it was like she was on crack. she never slept, lost a whole bunch of weight, and puked all the time. we got her on meds and she sleeps all day and is porking up (back to a healthy weight) nicely. the meds are amazing.

sarah- you are awesome to be so supportive and not pushy for your sister. really, that's the best approach i think. flies, honey, vinegar all that.

whew! typing one-handed this took me forever! linnaea is sleeping on my other arm

in news for us, we are moving to corvallis, oregon. i actually was accepted at all three schools i applied to but this one has a program specifically for teaching science so i picked OSU. and, i'm done! must read to the little boy!

eh. who needs a signature?
#56 of 86 Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I visited Oregon once. It rained every day we were there, but it was still beautiful.

So Bear learned the lesson that not everything that has been broken can be repaired. He pulled a flower off of it's stem and asked me to fix it, then sobbed when I told him it couldn't be done. Poor little muffin. This morning he found one of the flowers Bella brought me yesterday and he was very sweet and gentle with it. He's terrified of breaking another. He also brought me a crayon last night which he identified as "chartreuse". I had to pick my eyes up and put them back into my head. I'm terribly impressed by his drawing, though. I can't get over his love of shapes and colors. I guess it's still quite novel to me because none of his older siblings really did this, certainly not to the extent that he does.

Bear is having another growth spurt. I love his moosianism. We're trying to wean him off of the bottles, because he is a big fellow, but he won't drink Neocate out of a cup and it's still his primary source of nutrition; The kid's diet just isn't all that varied, you know? We may try the sippy cup deal, but again we're not sure if he'll deal with it. The thing is, he's two and he chomps right through bottle nipples, which aren't designed for kids who are able to chew their own food with no trouble. That, and Mike was completely unable to find a sippy cup with measurements on it, and those are kind of important when you're mixing formula. Urgh. He's doing pretty well with the allergies, though. His skin is clear and his diapers are relatively pleasant. Part of me thinks "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" but most of the time I look at the chewed up nipples and think "He's really too old for bottles, we have to do something else." My little complicated boy. Oh well, at least he's cute.

#57 of 86 Old 03-22-2010, 02:53 PM

Well, I did get her some undies... : cinderella/princess undies, because she loves cinderella. And I tried the naked buns thing. Um how does anyone deal with that? In no time at all I had two big ol poops to clean up. One in cinderella and one minutes later on the floor. But then she insisted on Snow White undies. She said (in a menacing voice) "Snow White, take a bite of this apple. HA! Bite the apple!" She's a wild child this one. But Snow White didn't hold out either. NO sooner did we get to her cousin's house and she peed in the playroom. She did hold in poop on Saturday enough to walk across a huge field to get to the bathroom. So who knows.

IDK. Maybe I have to take some days off work for this.

ANd in other news, the powers that be have finally cottoned on to my online time, and I have to be on here less, so you won't see alot of me. But I will probably pop by on my lunch hours from time to time.

signature currently in transition
#58 of 86 Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 PM

Ugh teeny, that is unpleasant about your online time

Carrie, my dad's partner was trying to convince me that I should speak one language and my husband the other, strictly. I have heard that, but it really is not practical, and right now I am not worried about Hillel's language.... he's not as verbal as some of his DDC peers, but he is doing just fine. It's a mix of Hebrew and English. Sometimes both. A bin is a 'bin-pach' (scottish 'ch') - from both languages. And he'll say "more perach" (flower) or 'more etz' (tree) and sometimes Adi is daddy-abba.... it's gonna be interesting seeing how it all unfolds. His grandparents are teaching him lots of Hebrew, and are a little obsessed with animal sounds. Do you have that in the US, that toddlers are expected to know what sounds animals make? And do 'high five'? There are so many cultural things that I am adjusting to....

I had a very vivid dream that I gave birth to a girl - so holding thumbs that it isn't in 9 months... I would definitly prefer some more time before that is in my immediate future.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#59 of 86 Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 PM

megan- one of the strangest things for me to learn was that animals say different things in different languages! like, the animals make the same noise but we all hear it differently?

i could see a grandparent obsession with that. it's like, it's a way to be able to connect with a little kid that can't really have complex conversations yet. and the high five, what can i say, we have that here as well as knuckles (bonking knuckles together) people seemed more intense about it with lazlo i think because he is a boy. linnaea they all want her to smile or wave (and she prefers "mad face" with her brows furrowed ).

also, i've heard that bilingual children take longer to acquire language but once they do they tend to go quickly. i had several bilingual students and they spoke english very well and without any accent at all. i'm glad you are feeling better too! i forgot to mention that last post.

rynna- i'm glad to hear the bear has been having good dipes and no rashes! and the chartreuse is so cute! linnaea loves doing the crayon game (what this one mommy?) and _i_ sometimes get stumped, like, "well, that's teal and that's sort of blue green, and that's, uh, dark blue?" because of my own limited vocabulary of colors. i'll put that paper in the mail today, i totally forgot about it

linnaea's idea of coloring is to make like ten or twelve really tiny spots (like 1/2" x 1/2") of really intense solid color. so, i'll draw the outline of a cat and she'll fill in the whiskers (lines) and tail (a big balloon type thing) and then a bunch of these spots. they're SO cute. i was thinking about trying to sell some on ebay as "outsider art" because i have a friend make quite a bit of money selling his funky sketches there.

in other bragging news {{i know i know, i'm sorry}}, she has quantity down too. she's known two for a bit, like, she'll have a crayon in both hands and say, "i got two of those." but this morning, i'm getting the bowls for oatmeal and before i even get them down she says, "mama, get bowls for oatmeal." and curtis and i look at each other and we're all, "she's so cute!" and _then_ she says, "mama get three bowls for oatmeal." and i was like, "hunh? what did you say honey?" and she repeated herself. so, like, not only did she know what three was but she knew that i only get oatmeal bowls for her, laz, and curtis. and then i said, "she knows three!" and she said, "four, five, six."

i have no idea if she actually knows what the quantities look like for numbers that high but i was impressed that she knew what three of something was.

teeny- we have dora underpants and she just poops in them so we're saving them. that is so cute about the cinderella/eat the apple!! what a little firecracker! sorry about the "powers that be", i'm looking forward to jsut about zero internet time once school starts. i'm going to be taking something like 19 units between pre-reqs and program classes so i'm going to have to be super diligent if i even want to spend time with my family let alone my computer!

also, in case anyone is curious, i talked to helen and she's having a bit of a rough go of it. i'm sure if anyone wanted to send her hugs and support she'd like it.

sorry for the novel again, i finally have two hands free!

eh. who needs a signature?
#60 of 86 Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

I'd give anything to have native Hebrew speakers around my kids. They know their names and a handful of words, and Bean knows the Aleph-Bet. Really speakers of any language aside from English. I was thinking about this earlier today, and it depresses me so much.

I too was amused by the animals making different sounds in different languages, but the more I learned of those languages the more sense it made. The ones that really get me are the ones that sound *nothing* like the actual animals. Seriously, when have you ever heard a pig say "oink"? It's more of a snorty noise, you know? Bear knows many of them, that's a game we play often in public (because it garners fewer strange looks to hear a toddler identify animal sounds than trapezoids or chartreuse ). "You sound like a cat! You sound like a chicken!" He likes to pretend to be animals, too. I should teach him the French & Hebrew sounds, I still remember most of those. In fact... I still remember a bunch of folk/kid songs like "Kum Yeled Atzeyl" (Come, Lazy Boy) and "Hinay Rokevet" (Here is a Train). Hm. I should try to find some online.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page