flying southwest with toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we have 2 trips planned in the next month (so 4 air flights). DS is 2 1/2. We will be taking our roundabout on the plane. I'm not worried about keeping DS busy on the flights (we've flown several times before). I'm worried about the boarding procedure. Southwest no longer allows families to truly pre-board. I think the process is "business select" "A-Listers" then group A, B, C. Where do families fit into the process? After the A group? Are Business Select & A-list the actual A group?

My thought is since DH will be flying with us (yeah!) that if we get in the A group he boards with the carseat, saves us seats and install the carseat and then DS & I wait until the family boarding. My concern is that if we wait until family boarding we won't be able to find 3 seats together.

Also we have NO IDEA how to install the roundabout on the plane. anyone know where I can find a video or pictures of what it'll look like or SOMETHING?

TIA

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#2 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Families board between groups A and B.

You can print out boarding passes 24 hours before your flight, so if you pay close attention to the time the previous day you should have no trouble getting into the A group.

If for some reason you aren't able to get the A group and you can't find 3 seats together, you and DH can trade off sitting with the baby.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 02:24 PM

We flew Southwest with our 11 month old in December. It was three of us and the carseat. Both flying out and back home we got in the B group so did family boarding. We didn't have any trouble finding three seats together. It was really busy when we flew too (December 23 and January 4!) and the flights were full but still not an issue at all. Happy travels : )

OH! and as far as the car seat we just ran the seat belt through it like you would do in the car without the latch system. We have a Britax Decathlon and there was info about flying with the car seat in the manual that came with it...but all it said was to use the seat belt.
#4 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 02:50 PM

I fly with my kids solo several times a year, so I say this with love
No one wants to sit by your toddler. You will be able to get 3 seats together. You may ask someone to move for you, when faced with sitting by a toddler they will accommodate. In the very unlikely event that they do not you can smile and say 'well feel free to come and get me if she needs anything'. They will move.

Car seat installation on the plane is the same as installing wth a lap belt in your car. I recommend rf if you can, little feet tend to kick the seat in front of them.
#5 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 04:51 PM

We flew Southwest over the holidays and were in the B group and were able to find three seats together every time we did family boarding. Have fun!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#6 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
I fly with my kids solo several times a year, so I say this with love
No one wants to sit by your toddler. You will be able to get 3 seats together. You may ask someone to move for you, when faced with sitting by a toddler they will accommodate. In the very unlikely event that they do not you can smile and say 'well feel free to come and get me if she needs anything'. They will move.

Car seat installation on the plane is the same as installing wth a lap belt in your car. I recommend rf if you can, little feet tend to kick the seat in front of them.
Free babysitting....awesome!!

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#7 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 PM

Also, Southwest is pretty nice with their boarding.

If you don't get into the A group and need to install a carseat, just talk to someone and they'll let you board early.

We've flown Southwest a handful of times with DD and its always been a breeze.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#8 of 12 Old 03-05-2010, 02:27 PM

We've flown Southwest several times. As stated above, if nobody has an "A" boarding class, then families board between "A" and "B".

If one member of the family has an "A" boarding pass, they'll board the whole family with that person. We used that before DS was 2, because DH could register on-line while I had to provide evidence that my lad qualified for the baby fare.

When we flew with DH, he usually went (immediately) in front of us and installed the carseat (at the window seat) while I followed with DS.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#9 of 12 Old 03-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Southwest is my favorite airline to fly with DD. I just love them. They have even put me in the A group before after seeing that I am traveling alone with a toddler. I have to say, I feel like they are really trying in an age where it seems like the airlines could care less about us. Oh, and I fly all the major airlines. Even Jet Blue.

Twice in a row now I have gone on after A and gotten the very first row. It has no tray tables or storage under the seat in front of you so a lot of people pass it up, but it has amazing leg room and room for little one to walk around without playing pinball down the aisle. There is just kind of a padded wall in front of you. She loves it.

So, it is really no problem. You are getting on before 2/3 of the plane I think.
#10 of 12 Old 03-05-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
No one wants to sit by your toddler.
I love this.

This is all good to hear, we're flying Southwest for the first time this spring as well. Yay!

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#11 of 12 Old 03-06-2010, 12:07 PM

If you check in on-line, you'll probably get an A boarding pass. I set an alarm on my cell phone to remember to check in online exactly 24 hours before the flight. I've always gotten an A by doing that.

If you can't find enough seats together, just talk to the flight attendants. I've seen them ask for volunteers to move around so a family can sit together. And it's probably easier than asking people to move yourself.

Have a wonderful trip!

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#12 of 12 Old 03-08-2010, 01:39 AM

I second the suggestion to set an alarm on your watch or cell to log in 24 hours in advance, if possible--you should certainly be able to get in the A group if you do that. I'm not sure, but think SW might allow you to get into the priority boarding group by paying a $10 surcharge on a ticket--I have done that when flying alone with 2 kids (1 infant, 1 6 y.o.). $10 seems worth it to not have to worry about timing of checking in--and I think I only paid that for 1 ticket--they weren't going to make me have the 6 y.o. board by herself!)

That said, you still should be able to get seats together if you board between A and B, and if not, you'll at least be able to get 2 together, and probably someone will switch, and as the previous poster mentioned, especially when that means they'll get to sit with other adults and not your kid!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page