What are you putting in your toddler's Easter basket??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is almost 15 mo. I am just at a loss as to what to do about the whole Easter Basket thing. I haven't given him and chocolate yet and don't really see the need to laden my healthy-eater with junk. OTOH, I don't want him thinking Easter is another holiday about toys... I was thinking of maybe an Easter book, a kids CD, and a toy truck. What are you all doing for your LO's?

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#2 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Books. DH and I decided last year that the bunny will bring books to our house. When DS is older I'll probably add in a small bit of candy, but we want to start an "Easter is for new books" tradition.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#3 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 06:20 PM

We're putting in a hollow chocolate bunny, bananas, and maybe a few books or toys from the dollar bin at Target. Maybe a pair of sandals since she loves shoes and has nothing for warm weather.

obstruct livery vehicles

#4 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 06:44 PM

We're filling new rubber boots with DS's stuff. Last year we used a sandbucket, as what do you do with a basket after Easter - but this year we need boots, and I thought it might be cute.

In them... Bubble bath, a few candies, dried fruit, maybe a few new crafty things. It's really never anything major, his bday is the week after and he'll get plenty.

Mom and Dad are getting some candy and a new shower curtain :P
#5 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 07:19 PM

Ds, 3, will be getting some candy - we don't often have it in the house, so I think it's okay for a treat. He always wears his sisters jewelry, so, he'll be getting a kid's watch with trains on it. His own piece of jewelry!
#6 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 PM

Anyone know if small jellybeans would be safe for a LO if cut in half? I have some lovely organic ones I'd love to share with my 13-month old, but I am concerned about them being a choking hazard.

So far we have a hollow chocolate bunny and a stuffed bunny. I bought some large plastic eggs that I'll be using every year, and I plan to stuff them with goodies like dried fruit and bunny grahams. I also own a cute chick that peeps when you put him on your hand that I'll be handing down. Wouldn't you know the batteries for him are more expensive than he was, though? Good grief!

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#7 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
basket is usually a mix of clothing, book, toy, maybe a dvd, a chocolate bunny not huge but has to be no artifical flavors/colors in it. i go for the dark cocoa ones u get the natural chocolate taste and its better for you.

we put a toy, snack stuff or natural chocolate in plastic eggs and have them to hide.

i usually give one big gift from me to one or both of mine. this year my ds 3 got a castle. ya i said got lol: he knows its his easter gift from me and was given early.
#8 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 PM

This year dd1 and dd2 (ages 2 & 3) are getting bunnies dressed in clothes and shoes becauae I had a gift card to build a bear. Last year I did sandbox stuff. When dd1 was 17mon I got her a mini magnadoddle and a microphone that costs 2 dollars from Target. Both still get used almost daoily. I smashed some jelly beans and let dd2 have them last year because she saw dd1 with them. Oh and we do a egg hunt with jelly beans and dark chocolate hidden in the eggs like a chocolate or 3 beans per egg.
#9 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 09:34 PM

a stuffed duck, a couple of wooden trains, and couple of balls. maybe a sweet treat of some sort.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#10 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 11:08 PM

Cars, a stuffed animal, chalk, dried fruit in eggs....maybe an organic sucker....haven't decided about that one yet.

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#11 of 35 Old 03-14-2010, 12:06 AM

A hollow lamb, an Easter Bunny cookie/lollipop, two spring themed cookies. Probably a shirt or something... we tend to give the kids something like shorts, shirt, etc that they need anyways to fill the basket up with something. As for what you do with a basket after Easter, my DD loves loves loves to play with it. She carries all sorts of things around in it! they are great for free/imaginative play.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#12 of 35 Old 03-14-2010, 03:55 PM

Why not buy one cute basket to reuse every year? That's how I grew up. Just like we had a box of Christmas decorations, there was one box of Easter stuff that got pulled out once a year with a basket for each kid, plus the little decorations we liked to put out. I loved that basket and seeing it every year. It was a great tradition. Now I've passed it on to DS.
DS doesn't like any candy or chocolate, which is fine by me. He'll be getting a board book and some truck stickers. I also have a handmade felt barn set w/ animals that I got in a trade that I've set aside for Easter. The year before he also got some little wood cars which he loved. I wanted to get a small amount of candy (for me and DH LOL) from the Natural Candy Store online, I found jelly beans with no HFCS, and fair trade dark chocolate bunnies and choc. eggs. Unfortunately for just a few oz. of candy the shipping was nearly $9 so I had to scrap the idea.

If DS was just a little bit older I would get him some natural art supplies.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#13 of 35 Old 03-14-2010, 04:08 PM

What about some eggs which you have blown and painted or dyed?

I also just bought some German egg dye which you use on hard boiled eggs. You then oil them - they are sooo pretty.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#14 of 35 Old 03-14-2010, 08:01 PM

An Easter book, a stuffed toy, probably some new sandals. Then after he sees it we will go outside and find the eggs that we hid and dyed the day before.
#15 of 35 Old 03-15-2010, 01:45 PM

This year, DD(3) will get child-sized gardening tools, a book, and sidewalk chalk.
#16 of 35 Old 03-15-2010, 04:21 PM

bubbles, side walk chalk, Animalz, books, stickers, new toothbrush and bandaids - very similar to what get put in his stocking
#17 of 35 Old 03-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
You all have great ideas! Thanks! I've been really feeling at a loss...

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#18 of 35 Old 03-15-2010, 06:19 PM

We're getting:

new rubber rain boots
some curious george stickers
Who's in the Garden
some little Peter Rabbit books from the Target $1 bin
chocolate coins
big chocolate bunny
felted egg shakers
ceramic painted egg w/ name & year on it
little ducky stuffy in a reusable paper mache' egg

And I'm probably going to felt a dinosaur to "hatch" out of a felted egg.

We use the same basket every year filled with wool "grass" and I have special reusable paper mache' eggs for treats.
#19 of 35 Old 03-15-2010, 06:24 PM

For our DD's we are doing coloring books/board books/sticker books. Some mixture of all of the above. Along with maybe a stuffed bunny or some little dollar toy. Plus I usually like to buy cute 'themed' socks for such holidays too. Not just for the kiddos but for me as well!! Not really in the candy thing, not just because of age but we just are not big candy eaters. It usually just sits at our house till it goes bad

I usually do the same sorts of things for Valentines Day as well. Just some cutesy stuff, and books! I love buying books! I think I get more enjoyment out of reading them then my girls sometimes

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#20 of 35 Old 03-15-2010, 06:32 PM

No idea what we're going to put in DS's basket yet, but as for reusing the baskets, we like to use them for toy storage. Blocks, small books, animals, cars, etc all look nice in a little basket on the shelf or by a chair.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#21 of 35 Old 03-18-2010, 06:05 PM

Last year dd was almost a year, and she got beeswax crayons, a small pad of watercolor paper to color on and a set of small (handkerchief sized) playsilks dyed by me, all in a fabric "basket"/tote.
This year, she'll be almost two and she's getting a toy wooden rabbit, a spring book, a fruit bar and bubbles I think I'm going to get a very small high quality piece of chocolate as well to tuck in her wool basket I felted for her.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#22 of 35 Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 PM

I'm still working on this but love all of the ideas on here! My DD will be 14 months. I have some musical shaker eggs and plan to get the Gerda Muller Spring book. I was thinking of a small hairbrush too. I wanted to get a bolga basket to use for her easter basket but can't spend the money right now. Maybe next year...

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#23 of 35 Old 03-19-2010, 12:28 PM

DD will be 19 months old at Easter time. So far, the Easter Bunny is bringing:
  • Two of those Disney "magic towels," the washcloths that are shaped like Nemo and you put them in water and they expand (lol).
  • A hollow chocolate bunny. It will be her first chocolate experience.
  • Sidewalk chalk.
  • A ceramic egg that you can grow a plant in. You break off the top and it has growing medium inside and it comes with flower seeds.
  • Maybe a few things from the Target 1$ bins.

That's about it!
#24 of 35 Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM

My dd (16 months) is getting a spring book and a wooden bunny and hummingbird. We're not doing any candy, she's never had any and I see no reason to start when she gets ridiculously excited about strawberries. I will probably bake some sort of sugar free treat as we're going to family for Easter and I know there will be all kinds of junk food there, so I'd like to offer my daughter some kind of treat.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#25 of 35 Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
I'm still working on this but love all of the ideas on here! My DD will be 14 months. I have some musical shaker eggs and plan to get the Gerda Muller Spring book. I was thinking of a small hairbrush too. I wanted to get a bolga basket to use for her easter basket but can't spend the money right now. Maybe next year...
This is the same spring book we're getting, and she has a bolga basket from my mom that we're going to use as her easter basket!

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#26 of 35 Old 03-19-2010, 02:12 PM

We'll have an egg hunt with a few chocolate eggs and a few eggs filled with playdough. It's been a lovely spring here, and I think she'll enjoy running about outside.

My MIL bought DD a Beatrix Potter book as that's what DH used to get when he was a child.

We never did Easter baskets when we were growing up - just an egg hunt - is this a US tradition?

Mum to DD 9/07 and DS 01/11

#27 of 35 Old 03-19-2010, 07:58 PM

My girls are each getting a set of wool felt finger puppets and a littl wahm made bracelet. Then my oldest (3.5) is getting some chalk and markers, a drawing pad and Just Strawberries. My baby is getting some bubbles and bath stuff and Just Bananas.
#28 of 35 Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 PM

I actually just wrote something about this for my blog, including ideas for theme baskets (ie. a Garden Basket, a Backyard Basket, etc). If you're interested: http://fullbellysisters.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-build-healthier-easter-basket.html

Good luck and happy Easter :-)

#29 of 35 Old 04-19-2011, 07:33 PM

Each of my kids (6, 4, 20 months) is getting a pair of sandals for the summer (my youngest's will be hand-me-downs, but they've been put away for 2 years, so we don't think the older kids will notice), a pad of blank paper and age-appropriate coloring implements (colored pencils for the oldest, triangular crayons for the youngest, and crayon rocks for the 4-year-old who needs to work on fine motor strength), bubbles, wildflower seeds, a stuffed toy off of etsy, and a wooden cell phone, also off etsy. 

We won't do candy in their baskets, but there will be candy in some eggs.

#30 of 35 Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 PM

Because we observe Lent which is a time for giving up pleasures, I have no problem putting candies in the Easter basket.  This is the first year DS (3 years) will really understand, so I went a little crazy.  He got:

a pinwheal

a coloring book/sticker/crayon travel set

a paint your own airplane kit

a chocolate Peter Rabbit

chocolate carrots

chocolate covered marshmallows

and some other things I can't recall.

DS2 (5 mo) is getting a frog sponge animal that makes sounds for the bath.

I'm excited about the liner I thought of for the basket.  I have a stash of several dozen handkerchiefs which I have no idea what to do with.  I'm going to tack them together as a cute liner.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page