February 09 mamas - they're not babies anymore! - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 2966 Old 05-07-2010, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
midnight boob binge, lol. I like it.

Mal- I know what you mean, putting away the baby clothes is hard, it's hardest with Juiper b/c before I knew I would see them on another child of mine, now I am giving them away to people I hardly see at all. So evrytime I pack up the clothes I get a bit teary eyed, whereas when I was packing or unpacking them for my next daughter it was a happy occasion smiling at the memories of my little girls. BUT, I am so happy to be moving to the next stage in my life, there is an overwhelming feeling that it's time to move on and work on my new goals as the new me. It's an adventure I am looking forward to, a tep I am ready to take, and one I never could have taken before Juniper. I am a little sad that when it finally becomes time for my sisters to have their kids I won't be doing it with them because we had always wanted to be pregnant together. But it will also be cool that when Junes is 18 and moving out of the house I will only be 45.

Gillian- I am so excited that things with your husband are moving in a positive direction.

justKate-I am so glad they stictched you up properly. Have you visited I-Can? or whatever it's called. My friend had 2 vba2c, and credits what she learned there with her success. (I also credit her super strong personality)

COUNTRY LIVING- how funny that country living/neighborhoods and future kids are the topics up for discussion on our board as they are exactly what we talked about in the social part of LLL yesterday.

We struggle with this. We are in a little urban community that is sort of a haven in Tampa. It's historic, filled with trees, decent sized yards, a lot of things close by, family events that are usually free, a nice little neighborhood market with all sorts of amazing proucts, handmade, hand grown, etc. Extracurricular activities for the kids at a reasonable price, they are in an amazing private school that we barter for their tuition and it goes from pre-school to 12th grade. We have an amazing group of friends, and we did have family, but two of my sisters have moved now.
The thing is we kind of long for the country life, a nice farm with a large garden, cows, pigs, goats the whole bit. Woods for the kids to run in, build forts in. Storage in the house. LOL. (we live in a 1928 bungalow, low on storage) BUT I don't want to give up their school, and I really like the resources available, the cultural experiences I can give them. Our compromise for the time being is a garden in the backyard, 6 chickens as well. From here I don't know where we will go. We have an amazingly cheap mortgage thanks to my MIL buying the house originally before the market and it's giant bubble, she was nice enough to sell it to us for what she paid. My husband planted all sorts of fruit trees and berry bushes in the front yard, so we are kind of making our own little urban homestead.

HOUSE, Small- Mal you would be surprised what you can fit in a house. We DO have a 3 bedroom, but one of them is being used as storage and has been for years. It was our "indoor shed", serisouly. It had tools and an air compressor, and all sorts of shed type things in it. So we esentially lived in a 2 bedroom house with the 2 girls, and it was okay, a bit cramped but totally doable. The girls shared a room. It was when we added baby #3 that it got insane. (we are now working on redoing the back "storage room" since it has some issues with structure and such. Once that is done we will move into it, and our room will be a play room, then all THREE girls will share a room that is only a sleeping and dressing room. ) So if it is 1-2 years for a promotion you might be able to make it work and get your dream house sooner rather than later. You just have to get creative with layout and such. Plus, I don't know how the market is where you are but here it's going to be low for a year or so longer, maybe 3 before it totally stabalizes. We have found 5 acres for super cheap and were actually tempted to buy it now for the amazing price and hold onto it for a time when we were ready to move out and build our own place. Unfortunately, even at the great price we aren't in a position finacially to do it.

(gosh, sorry for being so wordy.)

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#272 of 2966 Old 05-07-2010, 12:39 PM

small House: yes, we too have a small 2 bedroom 1 bath house and think we'll make it work for us as long as we live here in Kodiak. What I was going to tell you though is that my sister lives in a 1 bedroom cabin with 5 of her 8 kids! Her 2 oldest are out of the house now and 1 boy has a room at folks house next door. They are building a bigger house but have been building it for years. You can make do if you want to hold out for your dream house!

Starling: Have a wonderful trip!!! Relax and enjoy the sun. And I don't think you are crazy to travel with cloth at all! Have fun!! (and take me with you!)

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#273 of 2966 Old 05-07-2010, 12:45 PM

oh yeah, we have totally travelled with cloth, on a number of occasons.

my crazy friends lived in the tiniest 2 bedroom house (that they turned into a 3 bedroom by mkaing 2 of the smallest rooms you have ever seen) with 3 kids all close in age for the entire 20 years they had the kids at home. when I think of them doing that it always makes my house a little easier to deal with. LOL

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#274 of 2966 Old 05-07-2010, 02:49 PM

Re. small spaces--no complaints right now, as we went from a tiny 2-bedroom condo in FL to a decent size 3-bedroom house in TX this year. I've been thinking a lot about minimizing lately, and started posting stuff on ebay just to clear it out. I posted the rest of Aub's clothes that still had the tags, and some Minnie Mouse stuff that I just don't see myself putting her into. Not sure where we'll be living in 18 mos., so we may have more or less space. Hopefully wherever it is we can have chickens, 'cause I'm getting kind of obsessed with fresh eggs...they sell them at our little hardware store and Huz and I are ADDICTED.

Gillian, maybe this was your Huz' quarter (mid?) life crisis. I really hope that things work out the way you want them to. If I were in your situation I would be handling things exactly the same way. I think that you're showing Royce (and all of us!) that you are very strong.

Cindy, that's frustrating about the lack of a period. I'm ready for mine to come back too. Of course Huz keeps reminding me that I would have to pretend to like him to get pg anyway.... But I'd just like to know that it's an option when I'm ready.

Mal, it's so hard to look at Aubrey and think "little girl" instead of "little baby." After every bath I pick her up and cradle her in a towel in front of the bathroom mirror and "play baby" with her. "Look at mama's little baby...so tiny!" And kiss all over her face and rock her as her long legs and big feet smack the coutnertop. I'm going to keep doing it until she makes me stop. Hopefully that won't happen for a LONG while.

Starling, I hope you guys have TONS of fun in Costa Rica. The weather should be beautiful. Try to see some monkeys for me! Do you have anything specific planned, or are you just going to try to relax?

Okay now I need to actually pretend to work instead of playing on the internet. Three hours to go until my WEEKEND begins!

#275 of 2966 Old 05-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post
We struggle with this. We are in a little urban community that is sort of a haven in Tampa. It's historic, filled with trees, decent sized yards, a lot of things close by, family events that are usually free, a nice little neighborhood market with all sorts of amazing proucts, handmade, hand grown, etc. Extracurricular activities for the kids at a reasonable price, they are in an amazing private school that we barter for their tuition and it goes from pre-school to 12th grade. We have an amazing group of friends, and we did have family, but two of my sisters have moved now.
The thing is we kind of long for the country life, a nice farm with a large garden, cows, pigs, goats the whole bit. Woods for the kids to run in, build forts in. Storage in the house. LOL. (we live in a 1928 bungalow, low on storage) BUT I don't want to give up their school, and I really like the resources available, the cultural experiences I can give them.
Exactly, absolutely exactly. I don't think I would be happy living in between, say, in a suburb or outlying part of the city. Where we live is a arty funky neighbourhood, with lots of other two-mama families, lots of free or nearly free activities, good parks, lots of alternative schooling options, a big home schooling community, great produce and organic products, and my sister lives three doors away from us. Take away all that good stuff, and I would not be a happy camper.

We would LOVE to get into a co-op here so we could sell our expensive condo and save some money, and then buy a small piece of land with a cabin on it for weekend and holiday fun. Big dreams! I love 'em!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#276 of 2966 Old 05-07-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gillian - How exciting! Crossing my fingers for you that it works out how you hope. But whatever happens, I'm sure you'll make it work out.

Speaking of small spaces - we fit the three of us pretty well into just one room! And I know folks here in AK who've raised bigger families in smaller cabins. With a little creativity (and preferably some kind of shed or outdoor storage space), it can work well.

My husband and I aren't sure whether we'll have another or not, and are mostly leaning towards just one. Either way, I pack up Katmai's clothes and toys as soon as he grows out of them and pass them along to the next kid in town (or sometimes to the Salvation Army - we have a glut of baby clothes in town). I got all of his as hand-me-downs anyway, and I figure if we have another one eventually, someone else will have clothes they're trying to get rid of. With a one-room house, I can't afford to be sentimental about those kind of things! But I haven't yet had that kind of baby nostalgia, really. I just think my little guy gets more and more interesting and fun as he gets older.
#277 of 2966 Old 05-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Happy Mother's Day Everyone!!!!

I am spending the day with my own mother and of course my sweet baby boy We will be having a pretty relaxing day with a nice dinner out later. And then probably early to bed as my little one had me up at 6:30 this morning which is waaaaayyyyy too early for me!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#278 of 2966 Old 05-09-2010, 01:10 PM

LOL Gillian - my little one slept until 6:30 and we thought that was a blessing!

Happy mother's day! My mom flew in yesterday. We always spend the day together. Makenna is obsessed with her. She will quit nursing or turn down nursing even to go be in the other room with her Grandma. My mom and I spent the day together yesterday alone and went to high tea and browsed some bookstores that we always want to linger in but can't with a baby. Today we are going out to brunch and then to walk around some rose gardens. Not sure what else.

I hope everyone else enjoys their day! I bet Starling is having a great day in Costa!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#279 of 2966 Old 05-09-2010, 06:06 PM

Happy Mothers Day! I would love to be spending the day with my own mother but I've had a fantastic day so far!

I got to sleep in till 8:30 this morning. Then DH brought me coffee in bed! We went to our favorite restaurant for breakfast then took the dogs swimming at the beach. Fiona threw rocks in the water while the dogs chased sticks. It is a gorgeous sunny day here! I also got a gift certificate for a one hour massage. I can't wait to redeem it!!!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#280 of 2966 Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
LOL Gillian - my little one slept until 6:30 and we thought that was a blessing!
Yes, I guess in the world of toddlers 6:30 isn't so bad! He was up at 6 this morning, but I managed to get him to doze a bit longer until 6:30. BUT, he has just figured out how to slide off the bed without my help, so I'm hoping that maybe he will be content to play in the room for a bit to give me more time dozing

#281 of 2966 Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm back in an attempt to remain sane at this moment. Royce, got me up at the crack of dawn, only to be a fussy tired whiny little boy all morning and I am going to lose my mind!! Why does he wake up so early if he's just going to be tired and cranky?!??! I am seriously thinking we are going to have to go back to 2 naps/day if he keeps this up. Which I really don't want to do because it's a real pain! UGHHHH So frustrated!!

Okay, and now I better go and see if he'll take a nap. And then worry about the looooooong afternoon ahead of me if he won't take another later

#282 of 2966 Old 05-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Oh, Gillian, I hear ya. On those days, I do make Owyn take two naps. It usually means she has a much later afternoon nap, sleeping until around 5-5:30 and is up later that night. But, staying up later makes her sleep in a little later the next day and hopefully gets us back on track.

We had a great Mother's Day here. Owyn gave me the gift of sleeping until almost 9:00! It was great to sleep in. Of course, she does sleep in on the one morning her dad is supposed to get up with her, lol! We went to church in the morning, then DH took us out to lunch. Owyn really loves eating at restaurants right now. She feels so big sitting up to the table and "using" the silverware to eat. So funny watching her!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#283 of 2966 Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 PM

glad you had good mothers dayd. gillian sirry royce was cranky, those days can be sooo hard.

we picked breakfast up at a resturant and took it to my mom, then picked Jewel up from her girl scout camping trip. went to a beach/park for a picnic. then back home, dh had to work at the girls school o my sister and i went to run some errands w/ the girls. it was a nice day.

#284 of 2966 Old 05-10-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

And here I am trying to drag Katmai out of his sleepy morning nursing to get up at 8:30! Of course the flip side to that is that I've been having trouble getting him to sleep before 10. One day I let him take a late afternoon nap (4:15-5:45 or so, but it was his only nap) and he was up until 1AM!

We had a good mother's day here. Breakfast at the restaurant with Katmai, husband, and mother-in-law, then all day outside in the sun, doing various yard chores. Including planting my first seeds in the ground this year (yay!), and impatiently shoveling snow off other parts of the garden. It's been gorgeous and warm and sunny lately (and the sun doesn't set until 10:30 or so), so we've been outside all the time. Katmai loves it.

I did make the mistake the other day when he was fussy of parking Katmai in front of some YouTube videos of horses and cats for a bit. Now every time he sees my computer he signs "horse" or "cat" and fusses to see more! Oops. I didn't realize a video addiction could come on so quickly.

Katmai's favorite "joke" lately is a conversation that goes something like this: Katmai: (signs stars). Me: "where are the stars?" Katmai: (signs stars all-gone). Repeat with any other objects that aren't immediately visible. After "all-gone" his favorite word/sign is "big", and he's constantly calling everything big.
#285 of 2966 Old 05-10-2010, 03:36 PM

I'm at my breaking point I think. I just finished my set at work (4 12hr shifts) and Delia had me up at 445 each of those mornings. Then last night she was up all night vomiting and diarrhea. My whole house smells nasty. I'm so exhausted I can't really function and my house is a disaster zone. I want to clean and sanitize but I'm so tired. No chance for a nap either since my boy isn't sick and he's refusing to be quiet or sit quietly. I am pretty sure he will have it by this evening and be up all night and Delia will be sleeping and then Dh and I will get it and they will be fine. It always seems to go that way. I've got to find a way to boost dd's immune system. She gets over the illness quickly but she catches everything. She's not vaxed, still bf'ed, gets Vit. D & C. Not much for probiotics though maybe I need to add those in? I'm counting down the hours until dh gets home. I think we are going to have chicken and rice soup for dinner and maybe I'll make some millet biscuits if I dd will stop crying long enough. My ergo is in the car... My dh has the car at work. Sorry to be a big whiner. Just had to let that out.

Country living
I like living in a city but not too big of a city. I live on a double lot with a mini orchard we have plum tree, crabapple, cherry, fall apple, currants, raspberry bushes, strawberries, blueberries and hazelnuts. I plant in a square foot garden and I make enough for us to eat and to preserve. I guess we do have a little urban homestead. No chickens though but my bf has a farm with chickens so I buy the eggs from her. She's got a cow now too so we may be getting milk and making cheese from her as well.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#286 of 2966 Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
Katmai's favorite "joke" lately is a conversation that goes something like this: Katmai: (signs stars). Me: "where are the stars?" Katmai: (signs stars all-gone). Repeat with any other objects that aren't immediately visible. After "all-gone" his favorite word/sign is "big", and he's constantly calling everything big.
That's neat that he can put sentences together! The only time Aubs signs in sentances is when she just runs through all of her signs trying to find something that will work. She has started signing "please" to nurse more, which is irresistable. I pop her off and say all done, then she makes the whimper face and signs please. Who could say no to that?

#287 of 2966 Old 05-10-2010, 10:19 PM

Nilla - Huge s I'm sorry you are having a rough day. I hope your little one feels better soon!

mckittre - wow! Katmai's signing sounds impressive! I've been working on signing with Royce for months now and he's just not interested. He will sign 'milk' while he's nursing, he will sign 'eat/food' while we're reading the hungry caterpillar (and ONLY then, which is funny because I have never used that sign while reading, he did it on his own), and he has sort of signed a few different animals just once copying me. That's it, and I've been using a bunch of other signs. I really wish he would sign more because he also isn't talking. And of course his lack of communication (signing and verbal) has me worried

#288 of 2966 Old 05-10-2010, 11:10 PM

Gillian have you tried showing Royce signs when he really wants something? For instance if he brings you something to open you say "Oh you'd like this open?" and sign open. I find my kids will only pick up the signs they find 'useful'. Like they always had more than enough on their plates so they never really signed for 'more'.
Also does he understand you. Like if I say "do you want booby?" My dd will immediately spit out her soother and say "aaaahh". Or if I ask if she wants up she'll raise her arms. So I know that she understands what I'm saying. My ds didn't talk until 20mos. He did sign for a lot of things but that didn't really take off until about 15mos. I always knew he understood me though so I wasn't really concerned. When he did start talking though he was articulate for his age and even now he's ahead of his peers in the language department.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#289 of 2966 Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Nilla - sounds tough! I will send healing thoughts your way.

Gillian - don't worry! (I know it's hard not to worry). I think so much of this developmental timing stuff just comes down to personality quirks, and what kids are focusing on at any given time. If he can understand, I'm sure he's doing fine.

It is really fun to see Katmai's little "sentences" - a bit of a window into how he's thinking. Katmai's turned into kind of a poster child for sign language (I think he knows around 75 signs, and is getting more and more into the 2-word phrases). But a lot of that is because he's really really into labeling things, and doesn't have nearly enough sounds to say them. Half his language isn't useful - he just absolutely loves to make all-gone jokes, to point out everything he sees, and to label pictures of donkeys and kangaroos and bugs and spiders and airplanes and clouds.... He's driven to learn them. On the other hand, he spent literally 3 months standing before he bothered to even try to walk.

It is kind of funny though, because it seems like it's our secret language sometimes. I'm the one who taught him all the signs, and so I know how he mispronounces them, and which ones he knows, and which sound effects he does with them, so I have to translate for everyone else.
#290 of 2966 Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 AM

Yes, I usually show him signs when he has shown an interest in something/wants something. He points and goes 'ah' at the food cupboards in the kitchen when he wants food. I will say 'are you hungry? do you want something to eat?' while signing and he just keeps pointing. He does know some of the signs though, so I guess that's good. And he understands some other verbal language - bath, ball, outside, book etc. Things that interest him

Royce is really into pointing at things, but he says something that sounds like 'duck/dog', I'm not sure if maybe it's supposed to be 'look' or 'that'. I try and give him the appropriate word and really sound out the different sounds. I guess he'll figure it out eventually.

In exciting news - Royce and I slept in until 7:41am this morning And Royce's nightwakings have decreased I think. I'm usually half asleep during them anyway, so it's hard to remember, but I think we're down to only 2-3 and those are only in the early morning hours.

#291 of 2966 Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM

I've been a little concerned about Owyn's lack of communication as well. She does understand some things and responds appropriately to me when I talk to her or ask her questions (short of course), but she doesn't say much and doesn't always seem to understand me.

I did sit down and think about all the different things she says though and she does have quite a few words. Here's her list: Hi!, shoes, mama, dada, what's this (no one else recognizes what's this other than DH and I, it's rough but that is what she means, DH says it sounds more like "Oh sh*t", so that's good for a laugh). She also says Wee! (meaning swing). She also has several sounds she makes consistently, I just haven't figured out what they mean yet.

She is VERY into music and dancing lately. She gets so mad at us if we turn the music off. She really doesn't care what kind of music as long as it has a good beat. I am a big lover of folk music, but she's not a fan so far. She likes things that are a little faster, good for dancing!

I can't wait to take her camping. It's coming up in a couple of weeks and it will be non-stop live music for 3 days. She will love it! I'm bummed that the band I really want to see isn't playing until after midnight one night. I'm not sure what to expect from her sleeping schedule that weekend, I'm guessing there won't be much of a schedule more like pass out when she's good and tired. I'm just hoping we'll get to enjoy all the shows. If she's not handling it well, DH and I can always take turns. I'm really hoping she can sleep in the Beco, that way we can still enjoy the shows and she'll still get to sleep when she needs to.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#292 of 2966 Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Hugs Nilla! Hope you are feeling more rested and healthy at your house!

Gillian, I love that you got to sleep till 7:41 (not 7:40!) That made me smile!

I took Fiona to a playgroup today. An hour with 3 other littles her age. Really its the only time she's played with kids her age since the daycare kids are older. They had a lot of blinky plastic loud toys which she wasn't so sure about. God, I hate toys like that. It was such a contrast to our house but its only an hour. The idea is to get together with these moms and kids once a week. We'll rotate houses. I'm thrilled to have a chance to visit with other moms!

Fiona has been working on her canine teeth for what seems like 2 months! They have finally broken through her gums. All 4 at once! Goodness I'm glad to be on this side of it. Teething is hard work on everyone! She usually is feeling back to her old happy self within a couple days of a tooth breaking through. Since they all came at once at least we don't have to spread that out.

#293 of 2966 Old 05-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Nilla: Wow - sounds like a doozy! I hope your little one and your house are on the mend and that everyone else stays healthy.

AKIsland: Yay for playgroups! I would go crazy without mine.

My mom just left. Makenna has been walking around looking for and and asking for her. I so wish I lived in the same city as my family!!!

Makenna's language is blowing my mind. She says almost everything! She'll repeat almost anything. Today she learned "face" and "lip". She is still picking up signs and she still uses a lot but she usually says the word along with whatever she signs now. It is helpful bc sometimes her words sound similar so it helps us know for sure what she means. At sign language class yesterday she literally didn't stop talkng the entire time! But mostly said the same 3 words over and over. My mom had me check my baby book and I was repeating everything by 14 months...so the early language is probably genetic. Just like I have friends that walked at 9 months and their little ones do too. My cousin's son is 2 months older and doesn't say anything. Makenna is talking more than all but 1 baby in her playgroup so for those with babies that aren't saying much, I really wouldn't worry about it at all.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#294 of 2966 Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 PM

mal I didn't see your question about the camping. Junie did great! She just sort of wandered around the sight and followed after her sisters. we have been going camping twice a year since Jewel was 9 months and have NEVER had a problem. Sometimes we bring a wagon and after they fall asleep set tblankets in and just pull them from spot to spot but you're going to a bigger event so that probably wouldn't work.

My dh is getting ready to go out of town for a week. It is going to really suck. Then my 7 year old dd(Jewel) leaves for a week and that is going to be quiet.

#295 of 2966 Old 05-11-2010, 09:49 PM

quiet in a bad way.

#296 of 2966 Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
Gillian, I love that you got to sleep till 7:41 (not 7:40!) That made me smile!
Every minute counts And I really do check the clock as soon as we wake up to see how we did!

Royce signed 'more' to me tonight, that's the first time he's done that one! And he signed 'eat' again reading another book with food in it (I find it very amusing that he will sign 'eat' for food in books but not food in real life). Still waiting for him to start saying words that don't sound like 'dog/duck'.

#297 of 2966 Old 05-12-2010, 12:22 AM

Well Delia's on the mend. So far no one else has it fingers crossed. However she slept last night and the my ds had a severe asthma attack. Or at least that's what we think it was. He's had some irritation and coughing the last week mostly after going outside. Last night he played outside before bed and then at about 1am I heard him freaking out and wheezing and coughing. He was using all his chest muscles, retracting around the sternum, sharp wheezing, laboured and fast breathing. It was very scary. I almost took him to the ER but then it he settled. We went in the bathroom with hot steam and then he couldn't stand it in there so we went outside. I gave him rescue remedy. DH sat with him breathing slowly and then I put on the tv as a distraction and made dh go get some coca cola since I know caffiene can help. So he watched tv and drank coke in the middle of the night . But it worked. I can't get him to the doctor until tommorow so I got some arsenicum album and a few different essential oils. He had a bath tonight with some of them and some epsom salts. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. Oh how I wish I had some ventolin. Well that was long and totally about the wrong kid. Thanks for listening ladies.
Delia still isn't walking and she really doesn't seem to want to. It's so frustrating that she doesn't even try. I am kind of concerned that she's been set back by how often she's been sick.
We are seriously considering moving. The air quality in our city is really bad and I think the kids health would improve if we were to move.
Anyone else have a dirt eater? Cordelia licks the dirt off of the shovels and spoons it into her mouth when we are gardening.

#298 of 2966 Old 05-12-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Nilla - glad both your kids are feeling better. The illnesses sound like a problem, but not trying to walk could just be a personality thing. Katmai didn't try until he knew he could pretty much do it.

Gillian - that's awesome. "more" was the first sign Katmai used too. The real explosion happened about a month and a half after those first few signs, so keep with it. Many of his words still sound like "da" or "moo"

Cindy - wow, "lip" and "face" sound like pretty hard ones to say! Katmai can do "eye" and "knee", but the rest of the body parts are beyond his articulation skills. He "talks" while he signs a lot of the time as well, but for the most part they're more sound effects than words (like "sssccchhhh" for ocean or "yaa yaa" for fire)

We're still having trouble with nap/sleep schedules around here. Yesterday he wouldn't nap until 3:30PM, and then was up until midnight! I'm not sure what to do about that. I try to get him to nap earlier, but sometimes he won't. Late naps keep him up until 12 or 1AM. But he's not ready to go totally without a nap either. He seems to wake up at 8:30AM regardless of when he went to sleep, so when he goes to bed too late, it's a problem.
#299 of 2966 Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 PM

mckittre - that's rough! I have to struggle to keep Royce up until at least 11am or 12pm for his nap and then also to him up until 8pm for bedtime! He always seems tired (and therefore cranky). It must be hard to have a decent sleep routine with all the daylight you get this time of year. If he won't start his nap until later, what about waking him after only an hour?

nilla - I'm glad Delia is feeling better. How scary about your son though! I can't imagine having to deal with something like that. It sounds like you handled it well though! I'm glad he's feeling better too!
I'm not sure about the walking, I think it's still normal to not be doing it yet. Does she creep along furniture? Royce only took his first steps a month and a half ago (he was 14 months).
And, sorry, no dirt eating here Actually if Royce falls outside he will cry for me to help him up to standing because he doesn't want to put his hands in the grass or dirt or whatever else is outdoors It's pretty funny.

thursday - I'm glad your camping went well! I would love to go camping with Royce, but I think we'll stick to day trips this year.

mal - I hope you guys have a great time on your trip! Hopefully Owyn will do well

Sooo, just wondering how all you ttc-ers are doing? I didn't know if any of you were hoping to concieve this month for another February baby

#300 of 2966 Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 PM

Owyn eats some dirt too. Mostly by accident thought. She's actually aiming to eat rocks and wood chips. The girl puts everything in her mouth!

DH and I are still waiting until the end of the summer before we start TTC. Our camping trip is kinda special though. We were at the same festival when Owyn was conceived. Now, two years later, we're taking her there!

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page