February 09 mamas - they're not babies anymore! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2010, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nilla--don't worry, some kids don't walk til 18 months! As for the dirt thing, probably needs some more vitamins in her diet...or it could be that she likes the texture.

VP--wow! That's awesome!

Thursday--Sounds like it was a good trip.

Mal--I bet the festival will be fine.

Tucker is doing well. Lately his thing is taking my shoes off and putting them on himself. He's still not talking...just baby babble--but ds1 didn't talk til he was 2, so I'm not worried. We are also going to a music festival (only this one is just one day, with music/art/etc all day long), on Saturday. Pretty exciting for the kids! I'll probably wear Tucker in the Moby and put all the food, etc in my backpack. Hopefully it won't rain!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 03:21 AM

mal- that's pretty awesome

alaskaberry- have fun.

my first day with Hubby working out of town was fine except I can't fall aslep. The girls were wailing that they wanted their daddy. He usually puts them to bed. luckily tomorrow night we can skype him.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:48 AM

Can I join ya'll since I don't see a Jan 09 thread? My LO was born Jan 4 2009

Jen single mama to Nicole (1.4.09)

Old 05-13-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen1409 View Post
Can I join ya'll since I don't see a Jan 09 thread? My LO was born Jan 4 2009
Of course!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Cordelia is still :Puke. Gillian and Thursday when your LO's had those nasty stomach bugs how long did they last? I'm worried but I don't really know why. She's not dehydrated just tired and so she's napping more than usual and she cries hard after vomiting but stops quickly. I guess what I really want is someone to tell me she is fine and this is normal and it will stop in such and such a time.

We went outside today since I thought if she vomited out there I could just hose it off. I planted a little more and will hopefully plant a little more tommorow.

The doc didn't think my ds's breathing issues were asthma just seasonal allergies and croup. Since his cough is getting a little junkier I figure she's probably right. I probably overreacted since my brother had really bad asthma and spent every april until he was 9 in the hospital.

Camping sounds awesome. We hope to go soon.

Fingers crossed for all those ttc.

Gillian I think I forgot to mention before but my thoughts are with you and your husband. I really hope it works out for you the way you want it to.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 PM

Nilla - He first got sick Sunday in the middle of the night, was sick all day Monday and through most of Monday night. Then was 'recovering' Tuesday. Seemed fine Wednesday and Thursday, but then Thursday in the middle of the night he was sick 2 more times. Then for the rest of the weekend I kept things calm and only fed him bland B.R.A.T. food, and he was fine. I think for Royce (and other LO's) that it can take their stomach's a while to recover, and too much activity or the wrong food can upset them again. How long has she been sick for? I was so worried when Royce was sick, so I completely understand - it is the worst feeling in the world!

Jen - Of course you're welcome!! I have a January babe too

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 PM

She got sick on Sunday afternoon was sick all day monday then better on Tuesday, then sick again wednesday evening and today. She's really not taking in much and is mildly dehydrated now so I've started giving water with a little salt and sugar in it in a little medicine syringe every 15 minutes.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 05-14-2010, 12:37 AM

Oh Nilla - big hugs! I had to do the water in a dropper thing when Makenna was sick and wouldn't drink from a bottle or cup and wasn't sucking much while nursing. It was awful! I hope she is better soon!! What a week you've had!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 05-14-2010, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Nilla - best wishes she gets better soon!

I cannot cannot figure a sleep schedule that works for Katmai. Two nights ago, he napped too late and was up until midnight. The next day he was exhausted, but barely napped, so he went to bed at 6:30. Today I thought I might have got it right - got him to nap between 1 and 3PM. But now it's 10PM (still light) and he won't go to sleep! I can't figure out any sort of schedule that reliably works, which means I feel like I spend half my day trying to get him to sleep. And the only way he falls asleep pretty much is nursing, so I can't even get my husband to help. I'd like to start changing that, but I don't know how, and it seems unlikely to work if I can't even get him to sleep myself.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:16 PM

Fiona likes to eat dirt too! Nice big handfulls from the garden!

She and the kids are busily coloring right now. She loves to use crayons. She'll pull them off the shelf and say "color color" until I get her set up. I usually tape paper down for her and let her go to town. It's fun! I'm excited thinking about moving on to painting and other crafts with her since I love that stuff!

Re Walking: I didn't walk until I was about 16 or 17 months. I think we are still within the normal range for walking.

Gotta run! Happy Friday!!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 05-15-2010, 09:50 PM

Back the the Motrin thing... the number on our bottle didn't match the number in the recall, but I still feel wrong giving it to her, so I haven't. I figured there may be more recalls to come. Last night, she was in a lot of pain, molars are starting to break through. So, I sent DH to the store to get the generic stuff and he couldn't find anything generic for babies under 2. So, what exactly are you guys using? I ended up just doing Oragel and giving her some ice to suck on in a mesh feeder. It did help her and she eventually went to sleep and stayed asleep all night. If that continues to help her settle, that's good enough for me, but I'd still like to know what I can give her.

Anyway, we had a pretty good day around here today. It was rainy, which normally sucks. But DH is usually working out in the yard on Saturdays, so it was nice to have a day spending time together as a whole family. We went to breakfast this morning, went car shopping (getting some ideas, looking to buy a car next year), cleaned up the house while Owyn napped, then went to a nearby nursery to get some new plants for the front yard. I feel like it was a leisurely day, but we still got quite a bit accomplished. I love days like that! Now, Owyn is spending the evening with her grandma. FIL is out of town this weekend, so she asked to have her just to keep her company. I think we'll go out with some friends.

Today is a close friend's due date and still no signs of baby. Send her labor woo please!

How early can you tell if your LO is left or right-handed? I've noticed Owyn uses her left hand a lot more lately. If I put a fork or crayon in her right hand, she'll move it to her left hand. It's probably too early to tell, but I am curious.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 05-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Mal: We bought baby advil. DIfferent company than motrin so hopefully ok. As for the hands, Makenna still uses both but she is starting to favor her right so I think she will be right handed. Glad you had a nice day! Jealous that your little one is off w/Grandma!

Gillian: You asked for a TTC update. I got my IUD out 40 days ago and still have not ovulated or gotten a period. It can sometimes take this long for a period to come back after mirena. But I am wondering if in my case it is bc DD still nurses so often? I have no idea. It might also be bc I stopped the domperidone a month ago - perhaps it takes a little longer for fertility to come back after that. I hear 6 weeks a lot for fertility to return after dom. Anyway, I may end up having to reduce nursing in order to conceive. I'm not in a hurry to wean so maybe my babies will end up with a bigger spacing than I anticipated. I might night wean next weekend when DH is out of town. Not sure if I'm brave enough to try or not! LOL! Today I told DD no when she wanted to nurse 15 minutes after she just did and she had a full meltdown and it took both me and DH singing and dancing w/elmo to cheer her up. So cutting down nursing or nightweaning is going to be super hard, I think!! Like I said, not ready to wean, but I would be happy to nurse less since sometimes it is every hour! Sorry for the novel!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 05-15-2010, 10:49 PM

Mal:
As for teething - I have used just homeopathic stuff (hylands teething tablets and Camilia teething liquid), he also wears an amber necklace. And so far he has handled all of his teething really well. Maybe he's just a good teether, right now his molars are coming in (I think 3 have broken through recently) and he still is doing really well!

As for right/left handedness - I think Royce is right handed, he definitely favours that hand. I'm not sure at what age you can really tell for sure.

And - I have a friend who is 37 weeks right now! I'm on call to attend her birth and I am SO excited! I keep expecting her to call in the middle of the night. Hopefully she'll go into labour during the day

Glad you had a productive day!!

mckittre - is he tired but just won't fall asleep? Or is he fine? Maybe he just needs less sleep than the average babe? I don't really know what to tell you, but I imagine the daylight must be throwing him off. Can you try and have an activity filled morning, with lots of outdoor time to really tire him out? Royce naps SO much better when we've had a busy morning. I will time it to get home no earlier than 11am and he will nurse and crash. Have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution? I haven't completely 'solved' Royce's sleep, but the book does have lots of tips. Our routine sort of developed slowly over time, a bit of Royce falling into a pattern himself and a bit of me fine-tuning his pattern and adding a bedtime routine. It's working really well for us.

And, speaking of sleep - Royce is (sort of) sleeping through the night And by that I mean he is doing a solid 6 hour chunk almost every night! I didn't even really notice it at first, but then I all of a sudden realized that he wasn't waking to nurse until 2-3am pretty consistently. Then he will do another 2-3 hour chunk (until 5am-ish), followed by a horribly restless 1-2 hours We need to work on that last part!

Is anyone else totally loving toddlerhood?? I love that he can communicate with me what he wants (through gestures and 'showing me'), I love that I can communicate to him and he UNDERSTANDS me, I love that he can WALK (seriously, this has made my life SO much easier, despite all the warnings I got from people ), and I love seeing his personality blossom and watching him play and have fun Oh, and I love that I can hand him toys in the car and then he will be happy and not cry

Old 05-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Cindy - I would definitely say the bf-ing would impact your cycles. My cycles returned at 9 months pp and they still aren't regular (they were for a few months, but then they stopped, I just got af a couple weeks ago so we'll see what happens next). I am obviously not ttc right now, and I would actually prefer a bigger spacing (at least 3 years, but we'll see...) I sometimes say no to Royce for nursing. At night I will try and just roll him onto his belly and rub his back, but if he flips out I nurse. During the day I have said no (many times actually ) if he just nursed recently, or if we are out doing something (the other day we were in a super busy store and he wanted to nurse so, yeah, that's a no). I guess that kind of goes against the whole 'don't offer' 'don't refuse' thing. But I do offer sometimes too, if he's fussy or if he hurts himself. So I guess that makes up for it

And also - why in the world would you do the night weaning when dh is out of town?? That's one of the benefits of having a dh

Ok, I think I outwrote your novel

Old 05-15-2010, 11:59 PM

Gillian: LOL. Yeah I think you're right - I should nightwean when DH is here to help! I just know he can't stand hearing her cry at all. But I don't think I can deal with being up multiples nights in a row and not having anyone to help me during the day at all either or let me sleep in a little.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Another 11PM bedtime. Though it's probably the fault of a late nap (didn't get home until 2PM, nap at 2:30). He does seem reasonably happy when he's up late. Just his parents are not. I do try to get him outside, but it's hard to have too busy a morning, since he's only up at 8-8:30 (the one consistent part of his schedule - I'm not messing with it).

Speaking of outside - anyone have waterproof soft shoes for their toddler? Katmai's are instantly soaked in puddles and mud.

Handedness - Watching Katmai use silverware, I'm pretty sure he's right handed.

Gillian - I do love this age as well. The walking is great because it means I can actually put him down outside while I'm doing chores and he can amuse himself by wandering around and throwing rocks. And with his signs and words and gestures, I feel like I can have whole little conversations with him. It's really fun to watch him becoming a little joker... All of the fun parts of toddlerhood, and not much of the bad (yet).

Jen1409 - welcome!
Old 05-16-2010, 03:31 PM

Mal: we bought generic infant drops. They say age 2-3 but we asked the pharmacist and he assured us it was the same as the tylenol.

Erin: We have soft star shoes. They keep her feet dry and I can roll them up in my hand they are so soft. They are not, however, good puddle jumping shoes!

We struggle with late bedtimes around here too. I think the daylight does play a role. Although I sometimes get her to bed early (8:30 is early for us), 10:00 is more normal. Usually she sleeps till 8:00 but lately she's been up at 6:30! Then she's grumpy because she hasn't slept long enough. I don't know. We put blinds in our room but it doesn't seem to be helping much. If we do a late nap like Katmai then we are easily up till midnight. I really try to avoid those late naps but you know how it goes, sometimes it can't be helped!

Communication is going great here. She understands everything! She's signing and talking more and more. She's really into make believe play. She'll pretend to go to bed by laying her head on a pillow and saying "night- night". She loves to be a puppy. She'll crawl around and pant and bark, its so cute! She also cooks us meals with her play food and brings it to us smaking her lips to indicate she wants us to pretend to eat it. I'm really loving this age!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 AM

Toddlerhood is really fun here too! Owyn is such a funny kid. She loves to tease us and make us laugh. She sat on the couch next to me today just making funny faces at me to get me to laugh! I think she's really going to be a clown the older she gets. She also loves to pretend to talk on the phone. Anything that resembles a telephone goes straight to her ear, then she says "Hiiiii Dada!". She has also started singing recently. Whenever we're driving somewhere, she just sings to herself in the backseat. So adorable!

Her new favorite game is chasing. She'll run up to me and laugh, then run away and look behind her to see if I'm chasing after her. Once I come after her, she gets so excited she just throws herself on the floor in giggles.

She started running in the last week or so. She's been walking a long time, but she wasn't quite coordinated enough to run. She'd walk pretty fast and trip herself up. But now, she's really running! She has a xylophone she can pull behind her and it jingles. She runs all over the house pulling that thing behind her and laughing at herself.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 AM

Oh yeah, Cindy, today I was at my cousin's high school graduation. There was a baby girl sitting in front of me and I kept thinking "Gosh, she looks so familiar". Then, it dawned on me, the little girl looked exactly like photos you've shown of Makenna! She could have been her twin. So cute!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 AM

Oh wow Mal! 2 of my little girl? I don't think the world can handle that much cuteness! ;-) LOL!

Cindy

Old 05-17-2010, 01:12 AM

akisland- Junes loves to color too, lately her thing is markers. she colors all over herself and all over things. It does NOT help that her sisters keep leaving markers all over the dang place.

handedness-Junes seems to favor her left hand, switching crayons and such over to her left. Her sisters always used there right hands, even at this age, so I think Mal thatyou and I justhave left handed girls

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:34 AM

Junies new hobby

Old 05-17-2010, 01:56 AM

Thursdaygirl: Love the pic! She looks like such a big girl!!

Speaking of pics...and since Mal mentioned recalling Makenna's old pictures, I figured I'd post a recent pic. Maybe we all should...it's been at least a few months since we posted.

Makenna

Old 05-17-2010, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

fun. Here's Katmai's latest hobby
Old 05-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
Is anyone else totally loving toddlerhood?? I love that he can communicate with me what he wants (through gestures and 'showing me'), I love that I can communicate to him and he UNDERSTANDS me, I love that he can WALK (seriously, this has made my life SO much easier, despite all the warnings I got from people ), and I love seeing his personality blossom and watching him play and have fun Oh, and I love that I can hand him toys in the car and then he will be happy and not cry
I am not loving toddlerhood. I think Nicole has early onset of terrible twos. She doesn't listen to me (much), throws herself on the floor, loves to throw out the lower lip, it seems like EVERYTHING hurts her feelings even if I tell her no in the nicest way possible. I can't wait for this stage to be over

Old 05-17-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen1409 View Post
I am not loving toddlerhood. I think Nicole has early onset of terrible twos. She doesn't listen to me (much), throws herself on the floor, loves to throw out the lower lip, it seems like EVERYTHING hurts her feelings even if I tell her no in the nicest way possible. I can't wait for this stage to be over
We also have a lot of that. Owyn has quite a temper and a mind of her own. Put those two attributes together and she is unstoppable at times. Discipline, even when gentle, is so tough at this age. She really doesn't understand why she can't climb onto the dining room table or run into the street, so it's hard to explain that to her. Right now, it's just "No no, Owyn" and constant redirection. Exhausting, but it is definitely balanced out with all the fun things about having a toddler!

Have I mentioned lately how wonderful it is to have one sleeping through the night?! She's still going strong. The true test will be when we go camping. We have a pop-up and she'll have to sleep with DH and I again. We'll see how she does now that she's been sleeping in her own bed for so long.

Here's a recent one of Owyn. I think you can scroll through the album if you want.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM

Love the photos ladies!! So cute

And here's one of Royce from just this morning

Mal - highlight the text you want to use, then click on the little earth with the paper clip (I think that's what it is) a little box will pop up for you to put the link in

And I sooo look forward to Royce truly sleeping through the night. I don't think I'll know what to do with myself But for now I am happy with his 5-6 hour chunk, plus he's been going to bed pretty regularly at 8pm, which means I get some alone time!

Jen - I'm sorry you're having a rough time I didn't mean that things were all sunshine and lollipops over here, we certainly have our bad moments/days too! He is a toddler afterall

Speaking of bad moments, did anyone see my thread on Royce's meal time annoyances? He is being so difficult about eating his meal and wants nothing but snack foods. It is driving me nuts! I know I should pick my battles, but it is so frustrating when I make an effort to cook a typical toddler-friendly supper, and he just cries and throws it on the floor and then wants corn puffs or fig newtons Ughhh... Okay, vent over :/

Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 AM

Royce had a new sleep record last night! 8pm - 3:45am!! That's *almost* 8 full hours!! Although he did stir a couple of times (so of course I woke up too), but just rolled around and went back to sleep on his own He woke up again at around 5am, and then was his usual restless self until about 7:30 when we finally got up. It's progress though!

Oh, and Royce is 16 months old today

Old 05-18-2010, 02:01 PM

Fiona has her share of meltdowns too. The assertiveness is a good thing in the long run right?! I will confess right now though that when she's been at it all day I plug her in to give myself a bit of a break. Half hour of Signing Time or Little Bear does this Mama good! I was never going to be a TV Mama but here I am!

We are hosting our new playgroup at our house this morning. I don't have daycare kids today which is nice. Only a few more weeks to go until my summer break! I am so looking forward to it!!!

Loving the pictures!

Here is Fiona wearing my underwear on her head! And another of her just be cute! (I can't get hot links to work for me anymore. Don't know why. Dang computers! )

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...h/IMG_2667.jpg

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...h/IMG_2722.jpg

Old 05-18-2010, 03:43 PM

We're lucky that Nicole has been sleeping through since 6 weeks.

I've been having difficulties with lunch/dinner too. She normally loves grilled cheese and barely touched it on Saturday. Just another hurdle to get over I guess.

Tags
Toddlers
User Tag List