February 09 mamas - they're not babies anymore! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the birthing flag idea! Sounds amazing. Another idea is to decorate squares with fabric pens to be made into a quilt for the baby if anyone does quilting. I did that for my wedding and had all of our guests decorate quilt squares instead of signing a guest book. I called it a guest quilt. Except... I still haven't sewn it into a quilt 5 years later!

I've been wondering about Esmé too. I hope she's doing alright Starling.

Mal: How exciting to be TTC so soon! That is fantastic!

Well, I haven't been charting yet but just paying attention to cervical mucus and position and I actually was having really fertile cervical mucus. I noticed it last month too and right on track got AF two weeks later. Sooo... I made sure that we DTD! I really don't want to get too excited about this since I went through so many years of heartache TTC. But maybe, I am ovulating on my own and I can get pregnant the old fashioned way. Just maybe!

Today is my last day of child care! Hello Summer Vacation, it is so nice to see you!!!!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 03:09 PM

2 years ago today I found out I was pregnant I can't believe that was 2 YEARS ago!! It was such a wonderful day

AK - Woohoo!! Summer vacation!!

Starling - I'm so sorry to hear that Esme is still sick, poor baby! Hopefully you get some answers soon

Mal - I also like the birthing flag idea, that would be cool! Is she planning a homebirth? My friend whose birth I attended had a hospital birth and they were crazy strict, I really doubt they would have allowed a flag like that... or anything...

Cindy - How exciting about your job op! I agree with the all the 2 long days votes, I think. Maybe you could test it out and see how it goes and then switch if the days are just too long? And that's so cool that you dreamed about it! I have crazy psychic dreams like that once in a while too, so weird!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 06-04-2010, 03:33 PM

Cindy, I vote for two days too. The way I see it is if she were there for just mornings she would come home and nap for a bit. With the two day thing you would still have 3 weekday mornings a week to get out and about and spend fun time together. Congratulations! Sounds great!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 PM

I like the birth quilt idea and also the onesies. I did that for a shower for a friend and her babe has personalized onesies until he's 2 now. Some turned out really cute too.

Starling - Sending healing baby vibes your way. As for how I manage... I have a partner who is fabulous and really puts in 110% with the kids and the house and the cooking. I also have a very reliable, capable sitter that I totally absolutely trust. That's how I do it. I can go to work and feel good about where my kids are at. My kids are clingy my first day off and then they settle down. However I do not work nights and I really think that makes a difference. My first day off is a full day and I don't need to sleep. My house really looks like several cataclysmic bombs went off when I am done my set and I am really debating getting a housekeeper. But with dh changing his rotation so maybe between us things can be cleaner?

Cindy congrats on the job offer.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 AM

OMG! DH and I are throwing in the towel!! DD wins on the night time sleep issues. Last night she was up from 11:45 until 3:30 and then only went back down until 4:45 before waking again. She WILL NOT go back to sleep once we leave the room. We literally tried everything last night. So today we put our mattress on the floor and decided that she'll just have to come in our bed if she won't go back down alone and if she won't sleep she can crawl off and play but at least we can sleep. And perhaps she will crawl off and play on those mornings that she wakes super early. We'll see how this goes. She is not used to just lying down and going to sleep in our bed. She is usually nursed to sleep in our bed. So that will take adjustment too. Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!! But instinctively this feels right. I feel awful making my 16 month old stay in her room alone when she clearly does not want to be alone. Wasn't so much of an issue when she was allowed to nurse at night. I suppose I could give in on that but I do think she is old enough to not have to nurse so I would rather not budge on that one.

Still waiting to hear back about the compensation for the job so I am a bit on pins and needles. If it doens't work out that is fine though since I wasn't even looking. Looked at 1 in home daycare on Friday. I wouldn't be 100% happy to leave my infant there but I think I am ok leaving my toddler. They seemed to be doing a good job - just no way a baby could get the same attention as from momma when they have 4 other kiddos there. There are 2 adults and up to 6 kids. 2 babies and the rest toddlers. Does that sound ok? Seems ok to me.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 06-08-2010, 12:28 AM

Cindy, are your nights getting any better?

I know that I'm in for it tonight. Fiona just fell asleep at 6:00. She's going to wake up ready and raring and be up till midnight for sure. I'm going to start making a bunch of noise to wake her here in a few minutes...

Well, DH left this week for his 3.5 week fishing trip. We can email every few days but we won't have any phone contact. Ugh... I hate when he's gone for so long. I hope the days go by fast!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:39 AM

AKIsland: 3.5 weeks? Ouch! I hope the time goes quickly for you. At least it's summer so you can get out and fill your days better.

So we put the mattress on the floor 2 nights ago. The 1st night she slept in her crib until midnight then I brought her to my bed and she snuggled into me and was asleep within 10 minutes. Unfortunately we had to wake her bc we smelled poo. After the diaper change she was crying to nurse and after telling her nursies were sleeping I pretended to be asleep...so she went to sleep. All in all, it went MUCH better than being up with her for hours. I don't feel as bad when she is crying bc I know I am right there for her. I also like sleeping with her much better now that she is not attached to my boob the entire time she is in our bed. And last night she actually slept through the night in her own crib! Until 4:45...which was when she decided she was up for the day. Who knows if it was a fluke or if she may actually start sleeping now that she isn't nursing?

Today we had a playdate with a mom and baby we met in the park. She is a member on mothering.com...funny bc we were supposed to meet as part of a meetup through the tribal area but ended up meeting randomly before that! Anyway, her little guy is only 1 month older and already 100% potty trained, eats with a spoon off of ceramic dishes and drinks from glasses all on his own. I was majorly impressed!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 PM

already potty trained? WOW

wanted to share a recent photo of Nicole with you all
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...DSC02224-1.jpg

and my first tattoo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...tattoowolf.jpg

Jen single mama to Nicole (1.4.09)

Old 06-08-2010, 01:01 PM

Nicole is such a cutie! And I love the tattoo. I want to get another, but I can't decide on a design. I want some kind of tree with Owyn's birthday "carved" into the bark (I'd go back and add my other kid's birthdays when I have them). I just don't know where to put it or how to design it.

I feel like I already have a two year old. Her tantrums are awful! She's been extra sensitive the last week with her molars coming in. She's only been working on them for 2 months! Finally they are poking through so she's been a little better yesterday and today, but I seriously thought I was going to lose my mind this weekend. The whining... I feel like I have a little puppy dog following me around everywhere, but no it's Owyn!

And she gets SO mad if she can't have/do something she wants. Yesterday, she wouldn't stop climbing, so I put the dining room chairs away to keep her off the table. She got so mad she was biting the table and her own arms! She has just started this biting herself when she's mad. Then she gets even more upset because she hurts herself. I just don't know what to do when she gets that upset.

My daycare girl has been gone for over a week and is back today. They quickly went from a warm welcome back to screaming and fighting over everything. Oh so much fun.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 06-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Mal I hear you on the tantrums. Delia smacks her head when she's irritated. She's started the bursts of angry screams where her face turns purple. I ask her when the sobbing starts if she is all done and needs a hug now. She won't let me touch her during the fits so I just stand by and say "I see you are angry now. I will wait". I am actually handling them a lot better now. My ds however is still having trouble not giving her everything she's screaming at him for. I'm trying to instill in him that she will never speak nicely if that is how she gets things. It is pretty hard to ignore though.
It's been miserable weather here and we are cooped up. My kids are at daycare today for half the day since I have an education session this morning and then they are there tommorow since I have to work a shift for a coworker and she's taking one of mine next week. So this week they are in daycare 3 days and then next week not at all. Ah well c'est la vie.
My SIL just moved to Calgary yesterday. So we are all a little sad around here. We are going to miss her.
Oh and my ds chopped his bangs to the roots because they were bugging him. Could be worse he could have chopped Delia's baby curls.
Cindy I am glad your nights are improving.
Well off to work I go.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 06-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Nicole is beautiful!

Mal: I feel ya! We had a few days that were really bad. Thankfully Makenna is mostly back to herself for now though.

Makenna slept through the night again in her own crib until 4:20. Not as late as I'd like but I'd def say 7-4:20 is through the night! She did go back to sleep for an hour or so in my bed...until she pooped again. She's had diarrhea the past few days. Poor baby! Maybe she caught it from Esme. Speaking of...How is Esme doing??

Cindy

Old 06-08-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
Delia smacks her head when she's irritated. She's started the bursts of angry screams where her face turns purple. I ask her when the sobbing starts if she is all done and needs a hug now. She won't let me touch her during the fits so I just stand by and say "I see you are angry now. I will wait". I am actually handling them a lot better now.
Yep, that's Aubrey. Trying to comfort her just makes it worse. I sit there on the floor and offer arms if she looks to me. The day/evening ones are okay but the nighttimes are still awful. I don't want to be a complainer but our night times are horrific. I don't even like to think about it, but maybe it will make you gals feel better....?

Basically the hysterical screaming/tantruming begins the moment I try to lay her down in the evening for even a minute (even in my arms, infront of the TV where she KNOWS she won't fall asleep, or to be carried up the stairs, or for a diaper change). This includes holding breath, gouging eyes (both of ours), pulling her hair, banging head on wall, and other means of attempted baby suicide. Then bath, which is thrilling and exciting (as if she wasn't just losing her mind a minute ago). Then boobies in our bed, followed by hysterical tantruming (as above) when the boobies go night-night (and they're so empty at this point! Like flapjacks). Holding her down, screaming when I don't; screaming when i do; telling her she's going to go in her crib; on and on and on. Then intermittent screaming through the night if/when she wakes without a boobie nearby. Ugh. We've tried everything. Fortunately she'll have her OT evaluation soon, and hopefully that will lead to some strategies to avoid sensory overload 500 x daily. I think that's the root of the problem.

Cindy, the job offer sounds perfect. I'm jealous! I'd go with 2 days/week too. And Makenna might really like the extra time with other little ones--I'm sure it will work out really well.

Mal, Cindy, AK--I'm excited that you guys are TTC, (or at least thinking of it). I've thought of it lots too, but Huz is not really on board, and with a move coming up for us (again) and the "issues" we have with Aubs, I can't see complicating things any further at this point. So I'm back to thinking that we'll just have them further apart than planned, but hey. Plans change, right?

Jen, Nicole is a cutie!

Our contribution to the EWW theme: Aubrey thinks it is hilarious to pluck Daddy's leg hairs out and eat them. She smacks her lips as if they are delicious and looks for our reaction. Where do they get this stuff?!

That's it for now, back to work....

Old 06-09-2010, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi all ... Esmé is finally on the mend from her tummy bug. Never heard back from the lab, so I'm assuming it was a rota/norwalk-type virus, especially because it flattened me a couple of days after we went to the doctor. I have never had such an explosive rear end! It lasted for over a week! I'm just now daring to be more than a few metres from any given toilet.

But, now we've all got colds.

I'm not juggling work/writing/mothering very well. Not sure what can give, as we need all the income that I bring in. I'm feeling very down about being spread so thin, and not bringing my best to what I do on any given day. I can't see my way to a second child because of this ... there's just not enough of me to go around.

As for night times ... those are getting frustrating too. Esmé hangs off the boob ALL NIGHT LONG. I finally had enough last night and put on a t-shirt and told her that her num-nums went night-night. She pitched a fit, but was so close to sleep that she screamed for about five minutes and then fell asleep. She nursed again at two and six. That's better than all friggin' night.

For those of you planning/expecting number two ... does it scare you at all? Because I cannot for the life of me see how a second small child would find any space in this busy, exhausted family living in 900 sq. feet of space.

Man. I'm tired. Can you tell?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:07 PM

justKate - Oh, big big s I hope the OT appt goes well and you can get some answers. It must be so frustrating for you (and I'm sure for her as well).

And, your eww story is soooo gross! You'll have to tell her that one when she's older!

Starling - Big s for you too! I'm sorry you guys are all feeling down. Try not to beat yourself up too much, things always seem so much worse when you're not feeling well. And, also, making decisions about having a second baby probably shouldn't be done when you are sick and tired I hope you all feel better soon!!

Royce doesn't at all tantrum like some of yours seem to be doing. He's fairly easy to distract. He does get pretty whiney sometimes though. When that happens I just start singing 'it's a hard knock life for Royce...etc', that may be more for me to keep from losing it It works though!

Speaking of singing, the other day I was singing 'dancing with myself' to him and he started dancing I thought it was pretty funny. Apparently he must like my singing! He also started dancing when I played on his little drum set.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Starling, I'm sorry things are rough for you guys right now. I do get overwhelmed at times. I just remember how quickly this last two years has gone by... from finding out I was pregnant and meeting all of you on here, to giving birth and the first year of being a parent. This time is so fleeting. Our little ones have already grown so much, so fast. She won't be hanging on your boob forever, even if it seems like she will right now.

When it comes to number 2... it helps that my good friend just had a baby and another friend is due in August. I see how exciting this time is for them and watch the new baby as he discovers the world. It seriously makes my ovaries twinge and I can't wait to do all that again.

We all had plans of having kids together and getting our families together with parties and trips and play dates. And now it's all happening, it's so exciting to be in a place I've only dreamed about before. When it's hard, I just remind myself that I'm young and I'm just getting started... I have so much more to look forward to when it comes to my family.

Although, with the fits Owyn has been having lately it is a little daunting to think about doing it with 2. I'm hoping this part may be a little easier with number 2. At least then they'll have each other to play with and bug each other. I can hope right... at least I know it'll be different.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 06-09-2010, 05:06 PM

Starling: Glad you guys are passing the tummy troubles. Hope the colds pass soon too! I sure hope I don't get M's tummy troubles!! Perhaps you are feeling spread thin bc you are so run down right now? Hopefully you'll feel more energetic and positive when you are well again. As for #2, we are trying and I am thrilled by the idea of a tiny baby but I am scared to death about how it will be. M is so attached...needs to nap on me, etc...not sure how I will manage with 2. But I'm sure I will. And they don't stay tiny for very long. It might be a rough year or 2 but then they will be much easier and be able to play together. As for the nursing - you should just keep trying to night ween. Sounds like it went well if she only cried for 5 minutes! Makenna slept through the night in her own bed for a 3rd night (until 4) and then slept next to me for an hour after I said nursies were still sleeping. I do think she would sleep later except she is waking up w/poop every morning. Anyway, I'm thinking the night weaning may actually have taken now!!

Just talked to the guy at my old co wo wants me to work for him. Need to wait until middle of next week to hear if it is a go and if they'll pay me what I want. Ugh - I'm anxious to know if I am going to be working or not! And to figure out daycare! I hope the spot at the place I like so far isn't filled by then.

Cindy

Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 PM

It seems lots of hugs need to go around. JustKate: It sounds so frustrating for you guys right now. I really hope that you get your eval soon and they have some good techniques to help Aubrey. Starling: Sorry that you are all still sick but at least the stomach bug seems to be on the mend. I agree that big decisions are not to be made when you are sick! Hope you are feeling better soon!

I completely understand the feeling of being overwhelmed and stretched thin. That is how I was feeling with daycare. Like I wasn't doing great for the kids, I wasn't being a very good parent to Fi, and I certainly wasn't being a very good partner to DH. Uggh! I'm now on break which is wonderful but DH is gone for the whole month... that part sucks.

And being scared about fitting in another baby... YES! I do wonder how we will do it and still be the loving, patient, fun parents that we strive to be. I don't want to just feel like I'm coming up for air all the time. But I remind myself that Fiona will be a whole lot older (look how much she's changed in this past year!) and her needs will be different. And with my age and fertility issues its not going to get any easier to get pregnant so I feel a bit like its now or never. Another thing is that we are hoping to make a major move in the next couple of years to be closer to my family. I do think that will make things easier with 2. We'll find our rhythm, however crazy that may be and know that there will be hard times but the fun and love will outweigh those times!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:03 PM

i am so sorry I have abandoned you ladies for mynew obsession (backyadrchickens.com) I have been spending wayy too muhc time there, and trying to actually keep up witht hings aorund the house. DH is out of town again adn it's the last week of school so pretty crazy. Junes has become a constant nurser which was fine yesterday when I had a plugged duct but has been totally annoying last night and today.
Off to catch up on what has been happening with all of you.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:26 AM

Justkate I hope you get some tips on how to make your lives easier and your daughter calmer. Please share when you get them. I'm interested.

Starling hugs to you. I know what it's like to feel stretched to the max. I was studying for a certification exam, working fulltime and being a mama to 2. Yep I was stretched. Made me realize I really can't feasible go back to school just yet. I need to wait until we have kids in school at least.
As for adding another. I've finally hit my groove in the last couple months with 2 but let me tell you it's a lot easier with sleep. I nightweaned Delia at 11months which is early I know but it was necessary for sanity. She didn't suffer any and is still a chunky monkey. It was hard when she was tiny but now it's a lot easier. We've found our rhythm and I make sure my ds gets his snuggles and mama time even though he hardly ever asks for it. For a while there I did think I was going to go crazy with sleep exhaustion and nursing demands and tantrums and accidents but it was a short while in the scheme of things. It's such an incredibly special, heartwarming thing to watch my kids together. They truly love each other and they hug and giggle and of course fight and smack. The other day we were at the park and a little girl was picking on my dd. She was about 2 and the mom was not paying much attention. My ds wanted to follow her and tell her to bug off because "her was hurting my sister. Nobody hurts my sister!" I don't know where he got this but it must be inherent that only he can hurt his sister and everybody else better buzz off.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for all the kind reassurances, mamas!

I do feel stretched thin.
In my previous just-my-dog-and-me twenties, this is when I would decide to up and move to a cute, small town for a change of pace, new surroundings, fresh start and a reminder of what is important in life.
Now, it's too hard to do that.
We have roots here, whether I want them or not. Jobs, family, resources.
I don't know how to manage my itchy feet, how to balance my wanderlust with the necessity of having a routine.
I'm the kid who sees an ad for a general store for sale on a tiny island somewhere and decides that I've always wanted to be a shopkeeper and so off I go and buy myself a store and set to running it like it's always been my dream even though I only came up with the idea last week.
I'm used to the only constant in my life being my dog.
Now my constant is Esmé ... and instead of wanting to stay put and make a solid life for her here, I want to pack her into a converted bus and take her on the road, with my partner at the wheel!
When will I ever grow up and settle down?
I think I'm among the oldest in this DDC, and yet I feel like all you wise mamas are light years ahead of me in grace and sensibility.
You all rock.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Erin, How exciting!! Congratulations, and have fun on your camping trip.

Okay I am all caught up now!

so yesterday my two older girls were playing a game that ended with the middlest getting a broom to the face, a push broom too so it was big and heavy. We ended up goign to the ER (me and all 3 girls since dh is out of town on business again) and Josephine got 2 sticthes in her cheek. She did great, all 3 behaved, and the nurses were in love with them. We GOT to the ER at bedtime, and then it was LATE by the time we got home. Junes has got a cold now and kept me up half the night. I am TIRED!

BUT I fixed our washign machine today. super proud of myself!

bedtime. we have no real routine for Junes she still nurses down at night. The older girls get a bath, brushed teeth, books, and bed. Junes gets those things, but boob is in as well. I will ween her off the nursing to sleep thing when she is 2 i think.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Courtney, i saw the pictures of your lo. Glad she is doing ok, poor girl! And are you over the plugged duct thing? I hope so! You've had a time of it these past few days! By the way... love backyardchicken.com!

Starling: i feel like I could have written your last post. Oh to head off to run the store on the island. YES! Sign me up. Drive across the country with my family discovering all there is out there. YES! Sign me up. I think growing up is over rated and I would advise against it!

Our big plan is to move to Washington or Oregon, back to my old stomping grounds and buy a huge chunk of land. I've wanted a small farm forever and DH finally said, "Lets quit dreaming about it and make it happen!" God I love him. He's a fisheries biologist and was just funded for some big multi year projects. The plan is to stay here while he finishes those and save money. Meanwhile we'll be paying attention to job opps and land prices down south. We have a family friend that we could potentially buy from in the same area as my parents and sister. Oh how I would love to live there! BUT, the job opps are nill for DH. So I just have to keep looking and hope that something will work out for us.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 AM

starling I'd totally wander around but dh is far to practical for that. When I suggest dropping everything and moving to wa state, even when he was unemployed at the moment AND his dad said we could stay with him, he just couldn't do it. My MIL played beautifully into his practical nature and signed a house over to us, we took over payments and have to pay the what's been paid into it back when we sell. Having a house really keeps chris in place, especially since a)it needs to be fixed up so he doesn't want to sell until it's fixed and we can get more money for it b)since she bought it back before the house prices rose we are paying an amount NOONE else in our generation is paying for our mortgage.

Of course now he has started a business so we really aren't going anywhere, which is a shame b/c florida kind of sucks. Of course now I am committed to staying b/c I have plans to satrt the midwifery school nearby.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:07 AM

Thursday - I also saw poor Josie on fb, I hope she is feeling better!

I think my hopes and dreams at the moment are for some stability! After university my husband and I got married and we have moved around all over ever since. First we moved to NC to follow his dreams (which was a wonderful experience that I wouldn't trade!), then back to our hometown, then moved 5 hours away, and now we're back home. Plus with our marriage being so messy at the moment it just feels like I'm in limbo-land all the time. My fantasy is for everything with my husband to work out, and for us to buy a house, and be NORMAL. That would be so so wonderful.

I guess the grass always seems greener on the other side, right?

I am considering becoming a certified postpartum doula (maybe also birth doula). I would absolutely LOVE to become a midwife. But the schools for that here in Ontario are too far away from me, I would have to move (again), plus I'm not sure how I would balance it with either single motherhood or my husband's frequent work-travel (whichever happens). I could only take birth doula clients with due dates in the winter when my husband doesn't travel, so that is why postpartum doula-ing would be a better fit right now. I think becoming a doula would be a good stepping stone to midwifery. And then relook at midwifery once Royce (and future children) are all grown up.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
Thursday - I also saw poor Josie on fb, I hope she is feeling better!

I think my hopes and dreams at the moment are for some stability! After university my husband and I got married and we have moved around all over ever since. First we moved to NC to follow his dreams (which was a wonderful experience that I wouldn't trade!), then back to our hometown, then moved 5 hours away, and now we're back home. Plus with our marriage being so messy at the moment it just feels like I'm in limbo-land all the time. My fantasy is for everything with my husband to work out, and for us to buy a house, and be NORMAL. That would be so so wonderful.

I guess the grass always seems greener on the other side, right?

I am considering becoming a certified postpartum doula (maybe also birth doula). I would absolutely LOVE to become a midwife. But the schools for that here in Ontario are too far away from me, I would have to move (again), plus I'm not sure how I would balance it with either single motherhood or my husband's frequent work-travel (whichever happens). I could only take birth doula clients with due dates in the winter when my husband doesn't travel, so that is why postpartum doula-ing would be a better fit right now. I think becoming a doula would be a good stepping stone to midwifery. And then relook at midwifery once Royce (and future children) are all grown up.
I really think I want to be a birth doula as well, maybe a postpartum doula. I haven't actually seen or had experience with a doula IRL though. I am attending my friend's homebirth in August and she is having a doula so I'll get to see it in action. I'll wait until then to really decide if it's something I want to do. I have a strong passion for it, I'm just not sure if I have the right kind of personality for it.

I took Owyn and my daycare girl to the swimming pool here in town today. I ended up with 6 of my nieces and nephews as well!! Luckily I was able to get my sister, mom, and a good friend to come with us. I could not have handled all of that by myself. We had 2 10 y/o, an 8 y/o, 2 4 y/o, and 3 1.5 y/o. Wow! It was exhausting, but lots of fun. We'll have to make many more trips there this summer! We have family friends who have a private pool they allow us to use anytime we want to. But they are doing construction on their house right now, so they're not opening it until the 4th of July. That's a bummer for now, but I can't wait to spend time there the rest of the summer!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 PM

Oh, and as for all the moving... I was born in the town I live in and have only moved once. When I was 10 months old, we moved across town. Oh, and I moved in with my husband when we got married. That's all. A little boring, but DH and I both have strong roots here. We have no intentions of ever living anywhere else. I do get a little envious of people that get out and see the country or the world, but I really am perfectly happy here. I kind of hope at least one of my kids travels though, I'd like to go visit them in more exotic places.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:41 AM

Mal: I'm jealous that you are in the same town as all your family! I can't even imagine how life would be if I could visit my family, my mom especially, whenever I wanted! Or actually have someone babysit from time to time.

I do love where I live though. I doubt we will ever move back to San Diego, which is where I am from. We talk about a big move to North Carolina where we could easily afford a house. But I sort of doubt it will ever happen. Which makes me happy and sad at the same time.

Cindy

Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 AM

Any creative father day gift ideas? DH will still be out at sea but we'll celebrate when he gets home. So far I've thought about getting him the book Encyclopedia of Country Living so he can read up on all the country stuff he and Fiona are going to be busy with. It might be one of those gifts thats for me though! I think I need another idea!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:07 PM

Mal - Wow, that is really cool! I do like living in new places once in a while, but it would be nice to have a really close knit family like that. I'm not really that close to my parents or my brother. My parents separated when I was pregnant and the whole family kind of fell apart after that. It sucks

And I have also never seen a real doula in action. But I acted as doula for my friend. I think I did a good job for her (if I do say so myself ) I really did not like the hospital environment and the staff though, so that would be a pain to deal with regularly. I think being a doula to someone having a homebirth or even just using midwives would be a lot nicer! But the people using doctors are probably the ones who most need a doula. For my friend's birth the nurses only popped their heads in the door every couple of hours and the rest of the time she was on her own. I'm glad I was there for her, I don't know how women do it who don't have proper support!

Cindy - I LOVED living in NC. I lived just north of Charlotte. The people were all so nice, the weather was fantastic (compared to Canada), the shopping was great (again, compared to Canada), and yes the cost of living was great. Plus we could drive to the mountains in under 2 hours, and the coast was only about 4 hours. We travelled a lot to the SC coast, which I really love. I could definitely retire there!

If there was some Canadian land further south I would definitely move there.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:29 PM

Gillian: We just booked a vacation on the SC coast for september. DH's brother lives in SC. I'm looking forward to seeing it. The area we'd be moving to is Chapel Hill. DH lived there for 5yrs before moving to California. Problem is, compared to California, the weather sucks! That is my big concern. Its way hotter and humid. We don't have humidity here and I absolutely HATE humidity! Also our winters are super mild here and NC gets some snow and ice...but I don't think that would be too bad to deal with. I'm scared of the heat and the mosquitos that come with the humidity. Mosquitos LOVE me and I get quarter sized welts from the bites. I have no idea how I'd deal with that all the time? But otherwise, it's beautiful there! LOL! Anyway, I guess there is a reason it's cheaper than CA, right?

Cindy

Tags
Toddlers
User Tag List