February 09 mamas - they're not babies anymore! - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2010, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah I guess it's a lot different comparing NC to Canada vs California! The winters do get cool (I won't say cold ), I think we would get snow 2-3 times in the winter but it was always gone as soon as the sun came out (although schools would still be closed, which I found hilarious!). And the summers were HOT it was what I would call 'summer' weather by the end of March. I never noticed mosquitos, I think it got too hot too quickly for them. Where I live now they can drag on all summer because it never usually gets hot enough to keep them away. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your SC trip - I'm jealous!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 AM

Father's Day: I had a gift idea... something DH has been asking for the last couple of Christmases but never got bought. But, he decided he wanted to buy some supplies to brew beer and make that his Father's Day gift. So, he's going to spend his day brewing, which is his favorite thing to do, so it works.

My IL's are planning a trip to San Francisco this fall and invited us to go with them, free of charge! I'm pretty excited about it. California is one of the only places in the country I haven't visited and I've always wanted to, especially San Francisco. Hopefully it all works out and we get to go!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 06-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Alright, I have a parenting question for everyone! How is discipline going? Do you bother at all? I am having an issue with Royce thinking everything is funny Like when I tell him 'no don't stick the key into the outlet' he laughs and keeps trying to do it. Anything I say 'no' to makes him laugh and try and be sneaky about doing it. Obviously I am physically stopping him from dangerous things (and I have come to realize I may need to get some outlet covers that actually work). He also is becoming a 'runner' anytime we are in public he is eager to take off - laughing the whole time. The other issue is when getting dressed, he thinks it's some sort of game to make it as difficult for me as possible and he thinks its funny. And to be honest, he is so cute when he does these things that it makes it hard for me to actually be mad at him. But it would be nice if he could listen to me when I say no. Maybe he senses that I'm not *actually* angry? Maybe I need to pretend to be really mad? I don't know...

Is there anything I can do at this age to teach him some simple rules?

Old 06-13-2010, 10:27 PM

Mal: I live just outside San Francisco and lived in the city for 5 yrs until DD was 3 months old. If you book your trip out here, let me know and I can offer up suggestions of things to do with Owyn, etc.

Gillian: I have the same problem. Makenna either just laughs in my face or says "no no" back to me. Other than redirecting, I'm not sure what works at this age? I'd love to hear if anyone has suggestions though!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 06-13-2010, 11:03 PM

Gillian - At this age I just avoid the situations that cause frustration. Like the running in public I would use the stroller, carrier, shopping carts in anywhere I wouldn't consider running appropriate. If running was appropriate just not away from me I would run from him and get him to chase me. The outlet covers have you tried these ones? I love them. What works for me for dressing is I ask her if she can help me put her clothes on and I ask her to raise certain body parts or point to them. With my son I would be goofy and look through the head hole of the shirt and he would laugh and then I'd slip it over his head really fast and then ask where his fingers where I needed to nibble them and he would put his hands out. I avoid the situations I can and I make the ones we have to do fun somehow.
I haven't fixed the bath thing yet other than we sing the same song and one parent holds while the other washes and then out in 5 minutes and then we sit in the bathroom until she calms down and then make a point of leaving the bathroom on a happy note.
Mal congrats on the trip. Sounds fabulous!
For father's day I think dh is getting a french press and some bbq parts and maybe an apron that says "You can help me by getting OUT of MY kitchen!"

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 06-14-2010, 02:27 AM

OMG I love that apron! Where can I get one?! DH is such the alpha cook that he would totally love that!

Gillian, I totally get your need for stability right now. How are things going with your DH? Things getting any better?

Mal, I'm trying not to be too jealous of the fact that your family is all around you. That is what I would really love right now!

I do my best to avoid the conflicts as well. Redirection, playing it up. I tend to just move her from the top of the table then really talk about! She tells me nooo all the time so i think I was saying it too much. I'm trying harder to say yes! You can...fill in the blank. I also find that if she helps she's less likely to protest. If she washes her hands under the sink she'll go for it, but if we use a washcloth she'll scream. Woosh this stage is challenging!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 06-14-2010, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Wow, gone for a week, and there's a lot to catch up on!

Katmai did wonderfully with a week of backpacking. He had a great time learning edible plants, learning to walk over rough terrain, throwing sticks and rocks, and being outside so much that he didn't have to ask "outside! outside! (actually sounds like "aits!") all day long like he does at home. I think he picked up at least a half dozen new words as well. We did well too, I carried Katmai on my back through quite a bit of thick brush with no damage to either of us, we kept the mosquitoes off him most of the time, and between my husband's big pack and my fanny pack and front pouch, we managed to carry a week of food and gear (including a raft) without too much trouble. Now can I do the same when I'm 5 months pregnant? When we have 2?

Starling: Speaking as someone who wasn't exactly planning on another right away, I am a bit nervous about how we're going to make it work with two. Not so much the space, but the time and lifestyle issues. But I think it'll be good. And we have no plans to stop adventuring and grow up any time soon - we just integrate the little ones into the adventure. Katmai will be backpacking well over a month this summer, we might live a few months on a glacier with both of them next summer.

But I've got the best of both worlds, really. A great place to live with family nearby (grandma next door) and strong community connections, and also a lot of opportunity for adventure.

Gillian: For discipline, I find that telling Katmai what TO do, works much better. Rather than "no throwing rocks at mama" I say "we don't throw rocks at mama, we throw rocks in the water" or I tell him which direction TO go, what he CAN do with the thing he's got, something else he can play with etc... I find that he follows my suggestions most of the time with few issues. But he doesn't tantrum much either. I think he might be unusually compliant for his age. Of course, he has his things - can't get him to do anything but scream in the bath for the life of me.

Anyone else's kid having problems figuring out the limits of parental omnipotence? Katmai is constantly asking for more of anything he likes... "more quack!" "more berries!" "more stick!" etc... We keep trying to tell him we can't magically materialize ducks, make more airplanes take off, etc... But he keeps asking.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:18 PM

Erin, so glad that you had a great trip! It sounds awesome! I'm sure that Katmai loved being outside so much. Fiona would fit right in with him I think. She always wants to be "side" (outside). Me, I don't think I could keep up with you mama! You are amazing!

Big news here... drum roll, Fiona peed AND pooped on the potty today! i was changing her diaper this morning and she started to pee so I said lets sit on the potty. (we've been sitting for a while now, just no action!). She loves to sit. We have one of those seats that goes on a regular toilet. She was sitting and chatting with me and I'd ask her if she was all done, and she say and sign more. So we sat some more. Then she went! I'm so proud of her! DH isn't even in town to exclaim over his baby so I have to do it here.

Well, I'm off to clean the house while Fi plays with the neighbor girl!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 06-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Fiona!

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM

Yay Fiona!! That's excellent!

Nilla: Thanks for the clothes changing tips...they came in handy this morning. Makenna normally is fine for getting dressed but this morning she kept saying "no no" about most of the things I picked out. Your tips helped!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 PM

OMG we just had the biggest poosplosion ever . She woke up from her nap and her entire outfit, the sheets and blankets and her hands were covered. There was no choice but go to the bath. So any progress we had made with the bath is probably gone now. I had to put her in fully clothed and well she was not impressed.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yay Fiona! I have not even purchased a potty for Katmai yet (though we let him wander the yard diaperless sometimes). I've been saying I should get to that for months.

Here's a picture of Katmai bushwhacking on our wilderness trip:
Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 PM

ahh nilla that sucks, so sorry.

Erin, you will do it and you will handle doing ti with 2 beautifully. you are one of the most amazing mommas I know. When you have two youwill keep doing the same things you ae doing now, and you will handle it b/c that's just how it goes.

junes won't go on thepotty, she pees near it instead. I kind of think I should get her a smaller potty b/c she can't get on hers with out help. it always scoots backwords when she tries.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post
We ended up goign to the ER (me and all 3 girls since dh is out of town on business again) and Josephine got 2 sticthes in her cheek.
How is little Josephine healing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
I am considering becoming a certified postpartum doula (maybe also birth doula). I would absolutely LOVE to become a midwife. But the schools for that here in Ontario are too far away from me, I would have to move (again), plus I'm not sure how I would balance it with either single motherhood or my husband's frequent work-travel (whichever happens).
What about when Royce is in school? Be a doula now, then do the hard work when he's in school? If it is a dream of yours, it will all work out. I bet you'll make a great doula (and midwife too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
I really think I want to be a birth doula as well, maybe a postpartum doula. I haven't actually seen or had experience with a doula IRL though. I am attending my friend's homebirth in August and she is having a doula so I'll get to see it in action. I'll wait until then to really decide if it's something I want to do. I have a strong passion for it, I'm just not sure if I have the right kind of personality for it.
I think postpartum doulas are a great thing ... especially for mamas who don't have family nearby. I hope you have a great experience at your friend's birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
Oh, and as for all the moving... I was born in the town I live in and have only moved once.
There is a certain stone-smooth beauty to this. I envy your roots. Part of me wishes for this in a big way. Part of me would be terrified at the thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
Any creative father day gift ideas?
We celebrate my partner on Father's day, even though she is 'baba' to Esmé. I'm hoping to get her a hand-stamped medallion for her keychain that says "Proud Baba to Esmé" or some such thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
Alright, I have a parenting question for everyone! How is discipline going? Do you bother at all?
Like other's have said, we do a lot of positive framing, vocalizing what she CAN do versus what she CAN'T do. Does it work all the time? No. Do I remember to do that all the time? No. I'm not sold on the avoidance of situations where Esmé will test, because I do think that it's important for her to learn appropriate boundaries. So sometimes we get a cookie at the bakery on the way home, and sometimes we don't. This is very hard for Esmé. For things like throwing food on the flood, I try to get her to throw it onto a plate instead. Sometimes she does, sometimes she adds a little extra fling while she aims it at the floor.
Time to pick our battles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post

Katmai did wonderfully with a week of backpacking. He had a great time learning edible plants, learning to walk over rough terrain, throwing sticks and rocks, and being outside so much that he didn't have to ask "outside! outside! (actually sounds like "aits!") all day long like he does at home.
Your trek sounded AWESOME! I am in love with your life as I know it. Can I have it? Teasing ... sort of.

Quote:
Big news here... drum roll, Fiona peed AND pooped on the potty today!
Yay, Fiona! Esmé has become totally phobic of anything remotely resembling a potty. I foresee a loooooooonnnngggg hard road to potty learning. Many more months (years?) of washing those dipes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
OMG we just had the biggest poosplosion ever . She woke up from her nap and her entire outfit, the sheets and blankets and her hands were covered. There was no choice but go to the bath. So any progress we had made with the bath is probably gone now. I had to put her in fully clothed and well she was not impressed.
Blech. Uber blech. Is she feeling okay? Too many berries?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Thanks for all the discipline advice. Sometimes I feel like I say no too much, I'm going to try rephrasing things as much as possible (I hate hearing myself say no all the time!) It feels sort of wrong to be mad at him for some of the things he does when he is clearly having so much fun! I do have the book Playful Parenting but I haven't read it yet, I should do that!

mckittre - great photo! That boy is having quite the childhood already, he's very lucky!

Nilla - Oh gross! Hopefully you can continue to make progress with the baths. Summer is the worst time to develop a bath aversion, this is the first time I've noticed my darling baby getting stinky on a daily basis!

AK - woohoo! Way to go Fiona!! The other day Royce peed on the floor then carried his potty over next to it and pointed. It was pretty funny, and hopefully a step in the potty learning direction! I try and leave him naked a lot so I can catch him peeing, but once I put him on the potty he won't go

As for me and my dh, as of today it isn't going well. I found out from my sil that he has been lying to me about some pretty big stuff. So I think it may be over for good. I'm sort of in shock about it but also I guess on some level I knew. I just don't understand why he is continuing to lie. I still haven't confronted him. Ugh... Sometimes I really hate my life.

And I hate that I'm always such a downer on here, sorry about that.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:17 AM

I'm excited about our future doulas and midwives! So cool!

Gillian, I am so sorry about your DH. I can't imagine how you are feeling right now. I often think about you and find your strength amazing! You are such a good Mama to Royce. I know that it probably doesn't feel like it right now, but you will start to feel better and be able to pick up and make a life for you and Royce that you do love. I really believe that. Please know that we are all here for you and you can come vent any time. Really! Big Mama!

Old 06-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Hi all!

I haven't been around in forever but recently started coming back to these discussion boards. Mlle. C is doing great walking around, signing, and speaking the words she's picked up. We've been having fun lately with pointing to Maman, Papa, Grammie, nose, feet, etc.

Her sleep schedule has recently gone out of whack so I'm wondering if we're going down to 1 nap a day!

Ghislaine

Maman to Mlle. C born 2/22/09, Due with #2 at the end of May 2013

Old 06-16-2010, 01:41 PM

Poor Owyn is feeling pretty crappy this week. She woke the other night with a slight fever, so I gave her some tylenol and she woke up fine yesterday. After her nap, she felt warm again and was pretty lethargic all evening. Her fever spiked to 103 just before bedtime! All she would do was lay on me and let out a whimper every now and then until she finally passed out on my lap. I gave her some ibuprofen and she did sleep well all night. But when she got up this morning, she was burning up again. I took her to the dr and her throat is looking pretty yucky but no strep.

Right now, she has some drugs in her so she's feeling pretty good, but it takes almost nothing to set her off. So, I can tell she's still not feeling well. Poor baby, I hate when she doesn't feel good. It makes me feel so helpless.

Gillian, I'm so sorry things aren't working out with your husband like you'd like to. I really hope you can make peace with it. You're such a great mama to Royce, he's a lucky boy to have you!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 06-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Gillian: Don't feel like you are a downer. Hopefully we ladies can offer up a bit of support to help you through a tough situation! Hugs to you! Sucks to get your hopes up and then have them crushed again!!

Mal: I hope Owyn is better soon. Fevers can be scary.

M still has a lot of loose poo. I am figuring it's bc all 4 molars are coming in. The 2nd popped through last week and the 3rd popped through yesterday and the 4th is about to. Plus the 1st isn't even all through yet. She is officially UN night weaned now...with worrying about dehydration from the pooping and being inconsolable without nursing bc of the teeth...it's just not a good time for it, I suppose. Not that I didn't try the past few nights but it just wouldn't work. Tylenol is the only thing that finally got her back to sleep last night.

M has started saying Please and Thank you. Especially when she wants to nurse...how could I say no then? And also when she wants a cookie...which is now all the time...despite her hardly having them (and they are really teething biscuits).

Cindy

Old 06-17-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I'm excited about our future doulas and midwives! So cool!

Gillian, I am so sorry about your DH. I can't imagine how you are feeling right now. I often think about you and find your strength amazing! You are such a good Mama to Royce. I know that it probably doesn't feel like it right now, but you will start to feel better and be able to pick up and make a life for you and Royce that you do love. I really believe that. Please know that we are all here for you and you can come vent any time. Really! Big Mama!
she said exactly what I was thinking, just in a way more articulate way.

Josephine is helaing up beautifully and never even thinks about her stitches...unless she is telling people "I got stitches and I didn't cry at all!"

Tomorrow I should get to pay for the doula class so I am uber excited about that. I'm on my way!!!

DH is back home from El PAso (did I tell you all he was away? Putting solar panel on Ft.BLiss), it is so nice to have him home.

okay, msut go sew since the babe just fell off the boob in a deep deep sleep.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:25 AM

Thank you for the support ladies. I do most of my relationship venting on PaP just because it's private. I just did a big vent over there. So I'm going to try and keep my posts here more Royce-focused

Royce is continuing to do so well with teething. He now has his top 4 and bottom 4 center teeth, and 4 molars. I wish I knew whether it really was the amber necklace or if it's just his personality.

I hope all of those little ones not feeling well or having a difficult time with teething are feeling better. Poor babies

Royce still nurses like crazy through the night. I don't even try to not nurse him most of the time. But I am trying to stay awake so I can unlatch asap. Sometimes I swear he only needs to nurse for 5 seconds. Someday he'll nightwean... I think.... He will, right?

Today we drove up to my moms and went for a bike ride. She lives in sort of the country (it's a teensy tiny village). It was so picture-perfect - there is an old mill, a river, cows in the field, people horse back riding, kids playing baseball, geese with babies in the river. It was wonderful to bike around with all of that going on! And Royce loved the cows and the horses (I don't think he's seen those animals irl before). Tomorrow we are going to the zoo and a splashpad! Should be fun

Old 06-18-2010, 12:22 PM

Gotta ask you all, even though I know the answer already....

I RSVP'ed to a splashpark play meet-up this evening from 6-8 here in Austin. It is really not convenient, but I want to make "mom friends" and Aubs loves the water. Now only the organizer (who is going to have her second baby any day now) and I have RSVP'ed, and I'm not sure if it's worth it to go. I've never met them before, and the other child is 24 months (so probably not a perfect playmate for Aubs).

Pros: possibly make a mom friend, check out a new splash park, start a friday evening activity, not look like a flake.

Cons: I could take Aubs to the splashpark in our neighborhood and not have to drive. Will use more time traveling there/back ~10 miles each way (we could go earlier in our neighborhood and not mess up dinner / bed time routine). I'm tired and lazy by the end of the day. Huz won't go because he's waiting on the UPS guy who doesn't come until like 7 p.m.

So would it be really rude to cancel? I don't think she's "counting on us" just trying to organize some events. I guess I should find a more convenient meet up group....

Old 06-18-2010, 03:19 PM

JustKate: Well, it does sound like it would be fun but that timing would be hard for us for dinner. (Not bedtime since my little bug is choosing to go to bed later and later!!) I think that I would try to find a better time. But, I completely understand the need for a mommy friend. Just in the past month we started a playgroup with 3 other moms and babes and I love it! The kids tend to play next to each other rather then with each other at this age. It always seems that saying goodbye is the most interaction between them... lots of hugs and high fives!

well, I'm about 2 weeks in to DH's time away with just under 2 weeks to go. I hate these trips because I only get short 2-3 sentence emails every few days. But except for the fact that our house seems to always be a total mess we are doing great. Having no daycare has been fabulous! Fiona and I have taken long walks with the dogs, gone to the beach, had play dates, gone out to lunch and just explored some new areas. The other day we went to the fair grounds which we had been to for the fair but not otherwise. I never realized how big it was. We walked around for an hour looking at horses and stomping in puddles. We were the only people there, I loved it! She was asleep before we even pulled on the the main road!

And no interest in the potty since Monday! I moved her little potty to the living room so now she sometimes sits on it with clothes on and says pssss!

Old 06-18-2010, 04:56 PM

justKate - is there anyway you can send her a note that you can't make it? I would think that most moms understand that with toddlers plans change constantly! Although, some people may be planning on going but haven't officially rsvp'd, so if you do go you may end up meeting more than just 1 mom.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 PM

probably a good chance more moms are coming, i know a lot of times people (me) don't RSVP.

Man a whole month with the hubs away, and i thought 8 days was a PIA.

I have signed up and paid for the doula course, paid for the doula certification packet and my membership to DONA. I can not wait to get my packet and get started. I am making it happen and on my way to becoming a midwife and it's so freaking exciting I can hardly believe it.

on a feb baby note, she is super annoying. I don't know what it is, but by the evening she is all clingy and nursey and it just annoys me. (okay i know what it is i haven't had a damn break in way too long). I WILL be making an appointment to get an IUD as I really DON'T want anymore kids. DH is being a pisser and not willing to go get a vasectomy, which makes me angry b/c I had 3 damn kids and it wasn't really easy. He could do something! BUt lets not talk of angry things b/c i am not terribly angry right now, hot and slightly annoyed yes. Must cheer up and put myself in a good mood.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:49 PM

I haven't posted in a while but I do read....
Oh my you guys are my sanity check. Many of my irl mom friends have babes sleeping throu already, some younger than Willa. I rremember this with my DS but for some reason it is bugging me more this time around!! I have one frind that is so excited her dd weaned herself at 13 months so she wouldn't have such a time with it later on. Pet peeve...the babe did not wean herslef if you started offering cows milk all day long!
Willa has been driving me a bit crazy this week. She is into everything. EVERYTHING!! It is so hard to get anything done when I am stopping every 30 seconds to redirect her. And, she does stuff that ds never did! Just this morning we had a run in with one of the dogs. I had a 120 lb shep mix when ds was little and never never worried. But willa is so rough with the dogs. Grabbing tails and whatever she can grab onto. She is never left unsupervised with them but today ds let one of the dogs back in the house without a heads up to me and before I knew it I heard a dog yelp and then a baby scream. Willa was bitten though it did not break the skin. ughh! And then there are the eating habits. She will try everything but has a bad habit of throwing stuff on the floor...even if it is something she likes.It doesn't mean she is done always either. Again ds never did that. I knoew I was spoiled with him!!
OK I will stop comparing. Willa does have lots and lots of positives too! I just needed a vent...

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 AM

So do you give your little ones milk? I was talking today with the lactation consultant/pediatric dietician about a couple of things. One, Fiona's wheat allergy (we are pretty sure that we have finally narrowed it down to that) and two, breastfeeding while taking clomid. She seemed surprised that I don't give Fiona milk (cow or soy were her suggestions) and that she'll need a "drinkable replacement for breastmilk, high in fat and protien" if/when clomid and or pregnancy dries up/changes my milk production. i guess I understand that if I take clomid to get pregnant and it dries up my milk that she should have something else... most people probably do cows milk. BUT, if we hold off for a while on the clomid does she really need to be drinking milk now since she breastfeeds on demand still? She only ever drinks water and breastmilk now. She also eats a wide variety of solids. Curious what you guys are doing about this.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 AM

DD drinks organic whole cow milk at meals. She loves it! We ran out tonight before dinner and she kept asking for it. I'd say she probably drinks around 8 ounces per day. She also gets water through out the day...maybe drinks a few ounces of that each day. And she nurses often...but I have low supply so she doesn't get a ton from me....maybe 8-10 ounces/day now that I'm off my meds to increase milk supply. I was really on the fence about giving cows milk since I was vegan until pregnancy. But I don't feel comfortable that she would be getting all she needs from soy or other non dairy milks. Goats milk is another option...more expensive, I think. I'm not sure how long it is so important for them to drink milk? I think I heard until age 2. I would figure that as long as she is getting a lot of breast milk she doesn't need any other kind of milk. But I do agree, can't hurt to get her used to something if you think your supply might drop sometime soon.

Ugh molars. Poor baby keeps pointing to her mouth and saying "mouth booboo". She has been sooo unhappy.

Happy father's day to all your partners! Not sure what we will be doing. Probably going out to breakfast then up to the little farm here to see the animals. I got DH some new running clothes and a subscription to runner's world. He's training for his 1st marathon!

Cindy

Old 06-20-2010, 04:19 PM

I started giving Owyn cow's milk during the day when she was refusing to nurse. Only with her meals and she gets water in between. I fought it for a long time because I really wanted to keep nursing, but she had completely lost interest in it. She really did wean herself. But if nursing is going well and your supply is keeping up, I wouldn't worry that much about it, personally. She will adjust to it if/when your supply changes with clomid or pregnancy. It took Owyn a couple of weeks to start actually drinking it. I just stayed consistent with it and gave her a small cup of it during mealtime. I didn't push it on her, just made it available and she eventually took to it and now loves it.

DH is spending Father's Day brewing a batch of beer, that's what he asked for. The ingredients to make it and the morning of Father's Day to brew it.

So, that meant I took Owyn to church by myself. Church is soooo not going well anymore. I'm torn about what to do. She is so loud and wants to run up and down the aisle. We have a playroom downstairs that I can take her to. But I really don't like the idea of taking her to the toys when she is misbehaving. I want her to learn how to behave during church. So, right now, I take her out when she starts a tantrum, but we only stay down there until the tantrum is over then we go back. DH will stay down there with her the whole time, but I don't want her to think if she throws enough of a fit she can just go play with the toys all through church. I know I can't expect a 1 year old to sit still and listen during church, but it is something I feel like we should begin to teach her so that we're not having this fight when she's 5.

And I so feel you on the molars. Owyn's top ones came in a couple weeks ago, but her bottom ones have been pushing their way up for over a month. One of her bottom ones finally came through yesterday/last night and the other one is sooooo close. I feel like I haven't actually seen my sweet girl for over a month with all this teething. I can't wait for it to be over.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Ah, church. We stopped going about four months ago for the same reasons. We go to a Unitarian Church that is pretty kid-friendly, but the expectation is that once your child is old enough she will leave with the other children and go to the RE classes/playroom/nursery after the first part of the service.
We don't leave Esmé with anyone but family. So, no nursery for us. Which, now that she won't sit still and play quietly, means we don't go to church.
When she's more verbal and is able to tell me about her time in the playroom/RE classes and how she's being treated there, then she can go.
It's sad though, because I'd like her to be a part of the service. Don't know what to do about that.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!

Tags
Toddlers
User Tag List