February 09 mamas - they're not babies anymore! - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ahhhh freedom. I don't know that feeling! My kid is driving me nuts this morning with the constant demand to nurse! I'm so glad it went well Mal! That's so exciting!!

We had a bbq at a friend's house from playgroup. The 2 other girls didn't ask to nurse at all the 5 hours we were together. We kept them up way past bedtime to see fireworks (not sure why they were a day early?)...by the end, I had to wear M in the ergo so she could just stay attached to my boob constantly! Anyway, M didn't like the fireworks at first - kept saying "no no" but then they grew on her and she was saying "mo" (more). I don't think we'll be keeping her up for them tonight though.

Starling: Hope you are all feeling better. The re-nightweaning is going better. From the 2nd night on she has woken a couple times but we've had success getting her back to sleep by singing Old Macdonald. That is her magic song. I sing it in the car to keep her awake or if she's upset it calms her down. Anyway, she is still waking at night a couple times...hopefully eventually that will stop again when she realizes she won't get to nurse. She had started sleeping through the night last time. But at least we haven't had anymore nights that were spent awake for hours on end (knock on wood).

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 05:23 PM

Willa is a funny nurser. If we have company or are out and about she rarely asks to nurse but if we are at home with just fam she asks frequently. I could use an afternoon without the babe to devote one on one time with DS. He and I have been driving each other crazy and I know it comes from him needing a bit more then he is getting. hopefully soon.

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
Owyn spent the night with her grandma and grandpa last night, first time with both mommy and daddy gone for the night.
Wow! That's awesome that it went so well. I was just thinking the other day that it's been seventeen months since DP and I slept in the same bed without Esmé. Strange. I'm not ready for an overnight away, I don't think. Something to aim for though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
The re-nightweaning is going better. From the 2nd night on she has woken a couple times but we've had success getting her back to sleep by singing Old Macdonald. That is her magic song. I sing it in the car to keep her awake or if she's upset it calms her down. Anyway, she is still waking at night a couple times...hopefully eventually that will stop again when she realizes she won't get to nurse. She had started sleeping through the night last time. But at least we haven't had anymore nights that were spent awake for hours on end (knock on wood).

Cindy
Our magic song is "You are my sunshine" or "Little Sack of Sugar". Either of those settle her beautifully. Works wonders! Oh, and "Baby Beluga" is our magic in-the-car song. We've been using that one for pacifying since we lived three hours up the mountains and had looooong drives too and from the midwives in the early weeks.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Katmai's song is "itsy bitsy spider" or the ABC song.

Our town has big 4th of July festivities every year (no fireworks though, since it doesn't get dark enough), but I'm escaping the chaos for a little while so Katmai can have a nap. We had 10 babies (all the town's under 2s) in a float in a parade this year, in a chain of wagons decorated as boats with fish nets, all with hats decorated as smolt (baby salmon). Very cute and fun.

Katmai is an always nursing baby too. He asks to nurse whenever he feels unsure about anything (so he had to nurse both before and after the parade), whenever he's in a new situation that makes him nervous, or whenever he feels like mom's been neglecting him too much. Definitely more than other kids his age, I think. I don't know what he'll do when I run out of milk (I think most women do in pregnancy sometime).

I need to nightwean before the new baby in December, but will probably wait until September to start, since my husband's leaving in a couple days for a few weeks, then we have a month long hiking trip after that.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Fiona nurses all the time. She likes to say "nu nu, yeah, yeah, Ok" to let me know that she wants to nurse. Cute. We're going to hold off on the night weaning until we get back from our travels.

We are having a bunch of friends over for a 4th of July BBQ and to play bocce in about an hour. The towns fireworks were last night at midnight, we didn't stay up! Any earlier and its too light out! They usually get weathered out and do the fireworks for New Years but we are having some decent weather for a change. It seemed my entire neighborhood was shooting off fireworks last night though. Tough nights sleep for this house. Our dogs totally freak out too. I was grateful for night nursing last night because everytime a big firework startled Fiona awake she would go for the boob instead of actually waking up which was great.

Happy 4th Friends! I'll catch up with the rest of the posts in a bit!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 07-05-2010, 01:47 PM

NIlla, I would let DH take the kids to a folk festival w/ help. Totally. As long as he agreed to not drink. When we have our camp trips his friends are there and they all drink and no way i would let him take the kids by himself in a situation like that, but I also know if he was soley responsable for them he wouldn't be out drinking.

we aren't nightweaning, but lately she doesn't wake up to nurse at night either. (most of the time). I am trying to limit her day feedings but it is NOT going well. She nurses when she wakes up and then again at 10, 12, 2, 3, 4,6, 8, 9 for her nurse to sleep. Yes like a damn newborn. Then everytime she is just thirsty she will come have a couple of sips. She doesn't liek any sippy cups, but will drink out of a normal cup until she's bored or done and then she pours whatever is left on the ground. *sarcasm*-Totally fun!

Erin- Junie also nurses in "new" situations.

SWIMMING_ Junes likes to swim, unfortunately we don't have a lot of access to pools.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Hey ladies, hope everyone had a good 4th! Owyn LOVED the fireworks. She watched me shoot some off during the day and loved them! I got her some of the little snappers to throw on the ground, and she walked around looking for anything else she could throw to make a pop! It was really cute. I was surprised she made it to the nighttime show, I thought she'd pass out. But she was wired from all the excitement and laid on a blanket with me shouting WHOA!! through the whole show and clapping her hands after some really big ones. It was adorable!

I have a question for those of you that are involved with playgroups. I have a friend with a little one 4 months older than Owyn, we have another friend with a newborn and one who is due next month. I also keep one a month older than Owyn and my friend who is pregnant is going to start watching a almost-3 year old soon. So, we were thinking, since we're all home with our little ones (along with some extras) we should start our own playgroup. What do you guys do at playgroup? How often do you meet? Do you plan certain activities for the kids or just let them freely play with each other?

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 07-06-2010, 01:11 PM

Makenna slept through the night on Sunday! Up once last night and then down until 5. We ae definitely seeing improvement!! Yay!

Mal: I go to 2 playgroups. My main 1 started when the babes were 10 months old. We meet at a house or tot area of a park. Someone hosts each week and is responsible for picking a location and bringing snacks. Then the mamas chat and the kiddos run around and play. No structure. The 2nd one just started up a month ago. It is run by a children's center than got a grant from First Five to run it. It is in the same room every time, which is filled with tons of toys and they usually set up an art project and a table of home made playdough. We stop half way through and they provide food and drinks for the babies. At the end we do circle and sing songs. The only thing we've found over time in my main playgroup if that it is somewhat important that ages be fairly close...unless you watch carefully. Doesn't work as well to have 2 yr olds with imobile babies. But you can make it work. I encourage you to get something going...I don't know what I would have done without my playgroup this whole time! It has been extra important for me since I have no family in the area and most of my friends are still in the city, which is 1/2 hour away. Now I have a whole new set of friends! :-)

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 07-06-2010, 02:50 PM

For our playgroup we have 4 babies that are within a few months of each other. Sometimes older sisters (4 and 5) are there, sometimes not. We rotate houses so the kids can play with new toys and one person doesn't have to clean the house each week! The moms chat, the toddlers check each other out and play with new toys. We don't do snack but the kids usually bring there own. I do especially with Fiona since most of the times the other kids are snacking on goldfish or cheerios and she can't eat them. If its nice out we play in the yard but usually its not and we are inside. We started just a few months back and I really love it. It is so nice to have adult conversation!!

It totally started raining for our BBQ (like half and hour before everyone arrived!) but we still had fun. Fiona wasn't too sure about her house being filled with people. She was pretty much in my arms or DH's the whole time. BUT I'm so happy because usually its just me that will do and she was equally happy with DH. Since he got back from his trip she has been all about Papa. Pretty cute! She's not cranky in these situations but she's not her usual independent self. I wonder if the shy streak will stay? I have a bit of it myself!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 07-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
playgroup ... sounds fun! We don't have a formal playgroup, but our neighbourhood parks serve the same purpose in good weather, and our local family resource centre does the same on rainy days. I would second the notion to keep an eye out on the mixed ages. I see a lot of pushy behaviour while the parents are busy chatting. I don't think you'll have the same problem in a smaller group though.

Esmé doesn't like groups much, so we tend to do a LOT of watching from the sidelines, so we see a LOT of the dynamics. As with any group, there are plenty of politics between parents and politics between children too. I'm not sure what I think of them when there are more than half a dozen kids.

Not sure that it is a constructive experience when the parents are drinking starbucks and texting and chatting while their three-year-olds dominate the push cars and play kitchen and knock over smaller children. It's so hard to know when to step in. Some kid threw a truck at the park yesterday and it hit a tiny babe-in-arms, so I said very sternly, "Hey, NOT okay! No throwing." The mom caught up to him and took him away, but not before telling me not to discipline her kid, thank you very much. Can't win.

shyness, socializing, lifestyle ... Esmé is very shy around children, but quite comfortable around adults. We've tried so hard to include children in her life from day one, but she just doesn't like to be around them, not even one on one. She likes the vantage point from my lap, my boob, or from standing between my legs while she clutches her stuffed rabbit. If the park empties, then she ventures out and has a great time on the slide and such, but if there are more than even two or three other kids around, she's glued to whoever she's there with. The same goes for playgroups, library time, the pool, wherever.

Part of the reason we moved to the city from the mountain was so that she'd have more opportunities to be socialized, because I tend to be a loner and it's easy to be a loner in a tiny mountain town. Seeing how she's developing, I kind of wish we'd stayed put. She's far happier collecting rocks or chasing birds. We're going to have to make a big decision as she gets older. If she's not the kid for school, then we'll be homeschooling. I don't think she'd like the colourful chaos of the local alternative school. I've always said that it'll be up to her. If she's that kid longing to get on the bus by the time she's three and pretending to go to school with her stuffies, then fabulous, public school it is (in French, mind you) but if this is her true and lasting personality, then there is no way that I am going to force her into a strange, scary experience at the age of five. Yeesh. I have to stop thinking so hard.

AFU: Hand, foot, and mouth disease. It wasn't strep after all. Anyone have any experience with the coxsackie virus? And words of wisdom?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Gosh, lots to catch up on. Sounds like everyone had a good 4th.

I just wasted $10. I couldn't help it. I asked IntuitiveJamie a question... here but it hasn't popped up yet.
I don't know why I'm so obsessed with growing my family, or planning it, or whatever! We aren't really TTC or TTA...maybe just being around here gets it in my head. Anyway, I guess spending $10 that way is no worse than spending it on lotto tickets or Vitamin Water or car washes. What happened to the old carefree, take it as it comes, me?!

ETA: Re. coxsackie virus *shudder*, that is the worst sore throat I've had in my life. I had it about 5 months ago. Aubs didn't, but I'm sure I got it from one of the little ones at her school. Worst sore throat EVER. Don't mess with the blister/spots, just makes them take longer to heal. Tea if you have it, lots of nursies for DD. And tylenol. We aren't big tylenol fans, but pain relief was necessary. Hope it is better soon.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Okay, wow, so much to read and catch up on!

RE leaving babes for a night - No way would that work here. Even when I attended my friend's birth (and therefore was able to return to Royce a couple of times to nurse/nap with him through the night) it still left him practically traumatized. It has been almost 6 weeks and he is just now allowing me to leave the room without a complete melt down. I wonder if it's because I'm parenting solo and so he has literally had no one but me with him at bedtime? Or it could just be his personality. I do fantasize about a weekend away though

RE playgroups - I go to one that is at a local church and daycare is provided while us moms go to another room to chat. Royce doesn't usually last in the daycare and gets brought to me. I also have started going to a new one that is all outdoor stuff, so far it's just been a different local park each week, but this week a beach trip is being planned. Royce also tends to cling to me, but sometimes he gathers his courage and ventures a few feet away

RE nursing - Royce also nurses quite a bit mainly when he's tired or if he has hurt himself. Although I do say no a lot too or try and distract him. I've been feeling very touched-out lately and he has been so clingy and is always grabbing at me and pulling on my clothes and whining and wanting to sit on me (beside me is never good enough). It has been driving me insane!

Okay, so I've lost my train of thought. I guess that's all I'm going to respond to.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

I certainly couldn't leave Katmai for a night, but that's mostly because I've yet to institute a go-to-sleep routine that doesn't involve nursing (unless someone wanted to wear him and hike all night long). During the day, 3 or 4 hours is about his maximum "away from mama" tolerance.

Playgroup/socializing: I don't do a formal playgroup, but I see other folks with young children reasonably often at parties and other events. Generally if the kids are older than Katmai (2.5 and up), they'll take the initiative to play with him and can do entertaining new things, so he's pretty interested. If the kids are his age or younger, he wants nothing to do with them - shies away, ignores them entirely, or tries to push them away from the toy he's playing with.
He doesn't mind groups, but is only comfortable being watched by mom, dad, or his grandmas, and will get very upset if anyone else tries. Yet he'll take off in a crowd, intent to go look at big cars in the parking lot, with or without me. I do feel like I should make more of an effort to get him together with similar age kids, or get him comfortable being watched by other adults, but I don't seem to get around to it.

starling - Kids change a lot as they grow. Feel grateful that you have two potential good options (the local school and homeschooling), and try not to worry too much yet!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:42 AM

starling- hope she recovers quickly.

she will fall asleep for her daddy. She took a nap for him the other day and fell alseep to them (DH and the other two girls) singing to her.

playgroup- i have a playgroup i meet with occasionally for Juniper. It's tough b/c everyone else only has one kid who is about June's age and here i come tromping in with 3 kids. So i don't go as often as they do. I do get together with friends who have kids, the ages are always very mixed and they are more like playdates and I just try to vary who's friend we are seeing. It seems like at leats one of my kids is left out in these. Usually the baby which is why i try to get to the playgroup. The older two will play together anyways, but I sometimes worry that the active play of them will put the moms off. I remember what it was like to have 1 young kid and be overwhelmed by the rambunctiousness of older children. Most first time moms are very different from a more exeprienced mom. if my husband was home more often I'd have him watch some kids wihle i took the other to a playgroup or play date for that kids friend. BUT that isn't goign to happen.

Erin- Junes has been super clingy the past 2 days or so. She will ONLY let me hold her practically. I think she is getting some new teeth because she has been gnawing on her hands a lot. Before this she would so happily go to daddy or anyone really.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:49 PM

So junie is "communicating": more. she is toally mangaling the "traditional" baby sign language signs BUT i know what she means.

*The first was milk which she signs when she wants something.
*PLease isn't the hand in the center of the chest rubbing a circle but both hands pulled up the sides of her chest.
* the newest one she has "messed" up is I was flipping my hand over for all done and gone. Well apparently she was caught up in her feelings while I signed those things because she uses them to mean more.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Had an appointment with our doc last Thursday b/c Aubs hadn't slept or eaten anything but cheese for 4 days. Diagnosis: Bad ear infections. Weight: 19 lbs. 6 oz.

Follow up with doc yesterday: ears mostly better. We did antibx--had to this time. Weight: 20 lb. 13 oz.

Re. playgroups, we've tried...mostly for me. I WOTH so she gets plenty of age-appropriate baby interaction during the week. I'd like some mom friends, but honestly I don't feel comfortable with the moms I've met on the local Austin AP meet-up forum (not mentioning any names, of course). It sort of seems like an exclusive club that you can't be a part of if you don't do everything "right." Like they're complain about being judged by more mainstream mamas but then seem to judge me because I use disposable diapers.

So I co-sleep, am BFing, wear Aubs when she'll let me, selectively vax, and live as naturally as possible. I also use 'sposies and let Aubs watch the Wonder Pets. I don't buy organic everything from Central Market. I don't care if others can't or choose not to extended breastfeed. I don't care if you vax or don't, or where your baby sleeps (I wish mine would sleep in a crib!). I hate that we can make "different" choices and then judge others for not making the same ones. So anyway, that's why I quit AAP.

And I really appreciate that you guys accept me, even though I don't CD and don't buy organic cheerios. I hope.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:06 PM

OMG JustKate, you don't buy organic cheerios!! I don't know if I can handle that! Just kidding!

Ugh, we are having rain rain and more rain. Is it too much to ask for a little sunshine this summer?! Oh wait, we did have that one week last month...

We hung up a picture of Fiona in our room last night that we finally got framed. She was crawling onto the bed and pointed at it and said, "Who's dat baby?" When did you start talking like this baby girl?! I'm glad DH heard or he wouldn't have believed me. Her "sentences" are more typically, more peas, hi Papa, stuck Mama, help peas, Nu-nu yeah yeah... that kind of thing. I don't know who told her she could turn into a big girl!

haircuts? Who's done them? Fiona's hair is wild and curly and long. If I don't pull the front into a pony tail on top of her head its in her eyes all the time. I don't know if I'm ready for a haircut though. I'm hoping that we can just let it keep growing and it will be long enough to stay tucked behind her ears. Maybe I should cut her bangs though. She's always brushing it out of her eyes. Hmmm....

Old 07-09-2010, 09:38 PM

re playgroups: I don't do formal playgroups, per se. Mostly I just meet with my friends (and most of them have kids) and we do a "playdate" which is kids play together while mamas knit (or chat, etc). Some of the kids are older, some are younger. It's a good mix. Tucker loves pretty much everyone (esp babies!).

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
Old 07-09-2010, 10:16 PM

Kate: LOL about the cheerios. I finally bought REAL cheerios for the first time. Haha. I would hate to be judged! And since when does cloth diapering make you an attachment parent? It's the other things that do anyway.

I'm fortunate that the area where we live is pretty crunchy. So my regular playgroup is pretty AP. Most still breastfeed and most cloth diaper. But we do have a mix and that is nice too.

Haircuts: not yet. Can't bring mysel to do it, depsite wild and crazy hair. It's fine if she leaves a clip in but that doesn't usually happen.

Decided to really cut down the nursing. I had tried to put her on a schedule and then she got sick. I need to get back to it. Yesterday, the entire day was spent nursing or crying to nurse. Not working for me like this anymore! I'm not ready to wean. The idea still breaks my heart. But i need some sanity. I'm still thinking she'll nurse 4 times/day. But for now even 5-6 is what I'm aiming for. Which is how many times she nurses for most of her infancy, until she became obsessed and able to tell me about it, around a yr old! Oh and we have stuck with the night weaning. She has slept through the night once and now is getting pretty close most nights. And she at least goes back to sleep easily without nursing, even if she does wake up. Yay!

Cindy

Old 07-10-2010, 09:59 AM

Kate, I'm sorry you feel so judged. I sometimes get that vibe when I peruse other areas on mdc. I love it here, but there is pressure to be just so crunchy and I feel judged if you admit to being a little more soggy than others. AP is in the way you parent and interact with your child, not in the kind of diapers you use or the kind of food you buy. Around here it can sometimes feel like survival of the crunchiest. Lol. I certainly won't judge you!

I'm thinking about putting owyn in sposies overnight. I feel like we've been fighting rash after rash since christmas and I've tried EVERYTHING with her diapers! It's the worst in the morning, she will wake with blisters on her butt! It just kills me to see her in pain all the time. She has really started hating diaper changes because it hurts when I wiape her even when I try to be as gentle as possible.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Oh, and haircuts.... Owyn had her first hair cut just before her birthday. We just cut off the rat-tail she had in the back where it was quite a bit longer than the rest of her hair. Then, my SIL tried trimming up her bangs on time and ended up chopping it short all the way to her ear!!! So, my dad ended up shaping it up to make it look normal, so it was pretty short for a little bit. It's getting long again now and hanging down in her eyes again, but NO ONE will be touching it again! Not after that experience!

Owyn still doesn't talk a whole lot, so it amazes me to hear these phrases your little ones are putting together! She has words, but one at a time mostly. Sometimes she's say "Bye bye Daddy". We came in the house a couple weeks ago and she pushed the door open and said "Hiiiii!" then came waltzing in shouting "Daddy! Daddy!". It was pretty adorable. Her receptive language is definitely there, though. She understands what we say and simple commands. It's crazy being able to actually communicate with her now. I can ask her questions and in her way, she responds.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:33 PM

No hair cuts here - Royce is just now starting to HAVE hair lol! He'll probably be in school before he needs one

And Royce isn't talking either, I'm also amazed at the things other LO's are saying. Royce doesn't say anything recognizable other than mama, and even that is more in a babble. But he definitely understands what I'm saying, so that's good!

I wouldn't really say my area is crunchy, but I know lots of other moms who breastfeed, cloth diaper, bedshare, etc. etc. etc. Maybe my area is more crunchy than I realize!

Mal - That sounds like a pretty bad diaper rash. I'm sure you've already thought of everything, but could it be a reaction to a detergent or a food? Are you using a fleece liner or something to wick away moisture? Does she get lots of naked time (this seems to be the best way to keep rash away for Royce).

Old 07-10-2010, 06:57 PM

That does sound like a bad rash! Poor girl. Could she be reacting to microfiber or whatever material your diaper is made of? I saw that GMD's is selling silk liners to help with rash. Might be worth a try. Once Fiona had a persistent rash that I treated with tee trea oil. I diluted about 10 drops in olive oil and dabbed on at each diaper change. The rash was gone in a day! I continued to treat for about 3 days to be sure it wouldn't come back.

Fiona is sick with diarrhea. My poor baby. We were up most of the night. She's nursing and drinking lots of water. She ate a couple bites of banana but isn't really interested in food. Cant blame her, I've already changed 6 poopy diapers today. Is there anything else I should be doing for her?

Old 07-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Yeah, we've changed detergents several times... used less detergent, added rinse cycles, kept an eye on foods, etc, etc, etc.... I don't use a fleece liner, but most of the time at home we go with a prefold and no cover so I can tell just when she's peed and change her diaper. I thought maybe the berries she'd been eating... berries are one of the only fruits she'll eat consistently, that and grapes. So we cut those out to see if it helped and nope. When her rash gets really bad, I put her in sposies until it clears up and there is considerable difference as soon as I put her in the sposies. I'm at a loss.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:05 PM

Mal- Have you tried stripping your dipes? Try running them thru a few HOT cycles without any detergent. It is amazing how much build up there can be sometimes. If you do the first run without and open up and see suds without having added anything chances are there is some build up!

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 PM

Yup, we boil them anytime the rash gets bad enough to use sposies.

Her rash cleared up today, so she's back in cloth right now. If it comes back, I'm going to start the sposies at night and see if that helps. I love using cloth diapers for so many reasons, but if sposies are going to keep her from having blisters on her butt, so be it.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:26 AM

I have a question for all you mommas. So I am losing a lot of hair again - not quite as bad as a few months post partum, but similar. I also just got my period back a couple months ago and just ovulated for the first time a few weeks ago - so lots of hormonal changes going on. I'm wondering if anyone else is either 1) experiencing this now or 2) went through this when AF came back? Just trying to figure out what could be causing it. I'm also wondering if it has to do w/having mirena removed in early April? Not stressed out (other than any other mom of a toddler is, LOL) and doubt it's my thyroid. Thanks!!

Cindy

Old 07-11-2010, 12:58 PM

I went through a couple of lots of hair comig out after I had my second daughter. I don't rmemeber how it cam eout when i got my first period back though.

we use disposables at night. I didn't with my second, but it doesn't bother me that i am so "uncrunchy" as to sposie at night, sometimes we even use sposies when we go to amusement parks b/c i already have enough to carry and don't want to have to lug around dirty dipes, or have them take up soo much room in my bag. I'm packing for 3 kids, w/ snacks, drinks, change of clothes that's a lot of stuff. I don't feel bad because it works for us.

as for the making you feel guilty, i am so sorry, that really sucks. I hate when stuff like that happens. I just did not have luck with joining playgroups, more luck with making up groups of moms with friends. we met at places like the birth center moms group,lll, mom and me gymnastics, and the kids school. I have an advantage that i have older kids so we have a lot of activities and stuff that i didn't have when my first daughter was our kids age. If your local library has baby time or free shows (like puppet shows and music performers) try going to those and see if you can meet any other moms. Bring a "business card" with your name, the babies name and your phone number or e-mail. Give it to any mom you might click with and then the ball is in their court. they might call you or they might not. but you might have just made a mommy friend. I actually have a playdate next week with a mom I met at the zoo that way.

Hope Fiona feels better soon, you sound like you are doing what you need to do. Just hug her a lot.

So I am going to drop my oldest off at camp today, 6 days, 5 nights. We are all very excited. I have been wanting to send her to camp since she was a baby, and now it's here and I think she will have so much fun. (but i will miss her, I already have one leter to drop off at camp so she will get it tomorrow, i made her a little necklace with a heart b/c "she is always in my heart" from a book we read a long time ago).

Old 07-11-2010, 03:16 PM

I have actually noticed recently that Royce stays dry through the night. He does still wake to nurse throught the night but by 'wake' I mean he stirs a bit and 'asks' to nurse without even opening his eyes. So I guess he is staying asleep enough to not pee. One night when my diapers were in the laundry I layed some towels on the bed and let him sleep naked and he stayed dry.

I am thinking of taking Royce camping next weekend for his 18 months old milestone (I can't believe it ). I'm just waiting to make sure the weather looks okay. I have 2 friends that are going to come too, so it won't just be me and Royce (THAT would be an adventure!). But they both work so I will probably go Friday with Royce and set up the tent. I think Royce will have fun, he's not very scheduled and tends to go with the flow, and he loves being outdoors.

Cindy - sorry I didn't have that happen to me, but it definitely makes sense that with all the hormonal changes you are experiencing that the hair loss could be from that.

Has anyone noticed their pp af's being a lot easier than pre-pregnancy? I had the absolute worst cramps of my life during the year we were ttc, and before that I always had pretty bad cramps, but since my af returned I have had extremely mild cramping if anything. Maybe my cycles are still annovulatory? I am a lot more regular than I was when we were ttc.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Kate: Judging is silly. I just fed Katmai a breakfast of regular cheerios and regular whole milk, because that's what WIC gave me. He'll survive.

Luckily in my town, we have few enough mom's with young kids that we can't afford to judge eachother. And it's a pretty relaxed place anyway.

Diapers: I've actually never used either cloth or disposable - always used the compostable gDiapers, composting all the wet ones. They've worked well for us (and with neither trash pickup nor running water, definitely most convenient).
Mal - if the cloth keep giving her rashes and you don't want to switch to disposables, you could try the gDiapers. Katmai's never had a rash in them.

I've been reorganizing the entire yurt now that my husband's out of town (and I can throw/give things away without objection) - making a bit more space for when the new one arrives.

Katmai's been totally obsessed with trucks lately. Big ones. And airplanes, construction equipment, etc... Do your little girls do this too, or is it something inherent in the Y chromosome? Also he's been interested in colors, so I've taught him red, yellow, brown and blue (as well as the signs for them). It seems like every day he learns new words and concepts. A fun age.

Tags
Toddlers
User Tag List