February 09 mamas - they're not babies anymore! - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
speaking of TTC. Remember that article a few months back about the Mayan Abdominal Massage? Well, we have a full day in Anchorage in route to Ohio for our trip. I have an appointment with a practitioner there! I'm so excited to learn more about this technique and see if it can help with my infertility issues. I'll probably do a follow up appointment in a couple of months when we will be back in Anchorage. Let's hope it does some good! I don't expect to not need meds and IUI to conceive but maybe not the highest dose and maybe not 4 tries of IUI before it works. maybe.

ETA: Happy Birthday Cindy! Enjoy your night out!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post

I am always impressed at the language of all your little ones. Royce is so not there yet. His babbling has a lot more sounds to it now, but it is still just babbling. I feel like maybe it's time to start worrying. I think I might take him for a wbv now that he's 18 months (his last one was at 12 months) and see what the doctor thinks. He does understand a lot of language though.
All of Esmé's close friends are boys (or should I say, the mamas I hang out with all have boys) and none of them are talking at all. Lots of noise, lots of consonants and vowels rumbling about, lots of intentional babble that the mamas understand, lots of pointing and bringing mama to whatever thing they want. All of the mamas say that they're starting to worry, but I figure if they're all in the same boat, then it's all okay.

All of the boys are super physical, and are all very intuitive with their bodies and their capacity to move and run and fall and climb. Esmé is not that way at all. She is physically cautious, tentative to make use of space and gross motor skill features at the park or play areas.

I wonder if there is something to the theory that toddler's apply their brainpower to certain things, and not others. Esmé's brain power is going to her vocabulary, while she clings to my leg and watches the boys apply their brainpower to navigating the jungle gym and mastering the ride-on toys.

Long and short of it, I bet Royce is right on track!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think if Katmai's still interested in nursing when the new one shows up, I'll be happy to tandem nurse them. He's such a boob guy, I expect he will. But I'm NOT going to deal with two littles who need to nurse at night, hence the nightweaning. I also won't have room for both in the bed, so Katmai will need to move to a cot on the floor.

Gillian - I think I've heard that understanding language is the most important thing. As long as they understand, speaking usually comes when they're ready. The sniffing sound is cute. Katmai uses a sniffing sound as his word for "flower" and "flour".

I feel like Katmai has a large vocabulary (well over 100 when I stopped counting), and those close to him can understand nearly all of it, but really over half his words are still sign language and sound effects. He rarely even tries words that are more than one syllable. If he didn't have the signs to build on (and to help us differentiate between the multiple meanings meanings of "boop" and "boom"), I don't think he'd be talking nearly so much.

The berries are just getting ripe here! Katmai's favorite thing in the whole world is berries, and he's been having a blast picking them. We were trying to teach him not to pick blueberries out of the pail today (just like in Blueberries for Sal, though we didn't see any bears today). I think blueberries and salmonberries have been over 50% of his diet this week.

This weekend, we're going backpacking with all our friends from town. 13 miles over ridges, two days. 10 adults, 4 kids under 18 months, and who knows how many dogs. Should be a blast!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:45 PM

McKittre: You must have some crazy stained dipes on your hands!! Blueberries and the ocassional raspberries are the only fruit M will eat (and only while we are in the grocery store!)...and now all her diapers are stained!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 08-02-2010, 01:00 PM

Hello! I had to search to page 3 to find out thread! I guess we are all busy enjoying the summer

Not much new to report here. I babysat a 2 month old baby girl (the baby who's birth I attended) on Friday. Royce was sooo interested in her. He was very gently giving her little kisses and just sat there staring at her. It was very sweet. It was quite an adventure juggling such a young baby with my still very young toddler though. The baby needed to be in my arms pretty much the whole time and Royce also wanted to be in my arms, so it was tough! But we managed!

I have been busy traveling and visiting friends for the last couple of weeks but we are now home for a while, most of August probably. So I think I may try nightweaning. He only starts his nursing frenzy after about 3 or 4 am regardless of when he goes to bed. So all I want to do is push that to 6am (for now). Shouldn't be too difficult right? He nurses a ton in those early morning hours though.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 08-02-2010, 02:04 PM

Good luck Gillian! I officially can't wait to night wean, but it will have to wait till next month. We leave Wednesday for a month and I know I need to wait till we are back home.

Fiona had a well baby visit on Friday. She's 18 pounds, 12 ounces and 32 inches. She's chugging along on her own little growth curve as usual! She's actually gained a pound in 2 months which I was pretty impressed with. Doc said keep her off of gluten for a year and then challenge it and see where we are. She loved playing with the instruments. I think I need to get her a Dr kit!

She still fights bed time as she's done her whole life. The other night she was trying for one more book. I said "Fiona, no more books. It's night night time. You can come have nu-nu with Mama or rock with Papa." Her reply,"Uver one?!" Me, "yes, you can have other one nu nu". Her, "OK! Uver nu-nu. Yeah!" Scurries over clapping. She acts like I was denying her "uver nu-nu" for days or something. Silly girl!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 08-02-2010, 03:48 PM

Wow, Fiona is thin! Makenna also had a well baby visit on Friday. 23 lbs and 31 inches. 25% for weight and 50% for height. She HATES the dr...hysterical the entire time we were there. :-(

Our birth center had their annual picnic yesterday. There were a bunch of 6 week - 3 month old babies. They were so little and squishy! Made me want one! I had a lot of fun playing at the park w/Makenna though and none of those mommies got to do that - they just sat and nursed the entire time.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

We just got back from an awesome backpacking trip this weekend! 10 adults, 4 babies (from 7 months to 18 months), and 6 dogs - on a 13 mile 2-day off-trail wilderness trip with bushwhacking, a little scrambling, some being lost in the fog... It was a blast, and everyone did great. I just think it's amazing we have a group of friends who are willing to get out for this kind of thing. I love my town!

Fiona is little! I always think Katmai is small, and he's probably 21 pounds and 31 inches or so. No well baby visit - I did 15 months, and am planning to skip this one.

Gillian - nice to hear that toddlers can be sweet towards new babies. We don't have any littles around these days, but that gives me hope for my upcoming one!

We're working on nightweaning here too. which sometimes means a very long time of grabbing the sippy cup, having a drink, putting it back, laying down, sitting up, grabbing the sippy cup, etc... before sleeping.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Nice to hear from everyone! Fiona is so tiny! Owyn is just over 20 lbs and about 30 inches long. She's a pretty skinny girl too!

We took her to her first carnival this weekend and she was just in awe the whole time. We rode the carousel and she loved it while she was on it, but didn't want to go back for a second ride. She stayed there with us for a while, then went to have a spa night with DH's mom while we visited the beer gardens to catch up with friends. She doesn't even miss us anymore when she stays with his parents. She was practically pushing us out the door! I love that she can't be so independent from us, but it makes me miss my sweet baby at the same time.

It's so hot here right now! We're under heat advisories for the next few days, so we're kind of stuck doing things inside. Owyn and my daycare girl have cabin fever already and it's only been one day. Any ideas for things we can do to stay entertained?? Today, we filled up the kitchen sink (one side for each of them) and put some kitchen tools in the water and just let them play and splash in the water. They loved that! I'd love to do some art projects with them, but everything I look into is suggested for older toddlers. We've tried coloring, but neither one of them have quite got the hang of it yet. They just want to eat the crayons.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 PM

http://www.sewliberated.typepad.com/

Check out this post about toddler art projects. Lots of fun ideas. I want that book she mentioned now!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 AM

Hi Mamas,

I'm relatively new to mothering.com and would love to join this thread. My little guy was born on Feb 09. I'm loving mothering.com, it gives me so many ideas about how to be a better parent and makes me feel so connected to moms in the same boat as me!

Hope to connect with you more in the future

Kelly

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 PM

Welcome Kelly! We'd love to have you here!

Thanks so much for the link, Sue. There are some great ideas on there! About halfway down the page, she shows the little kitchen area they have for her son. Wow!! That just might be Owyn's Christmas this year if I can get DH motivated to get out to the garage with me and get to building! We actually have a little nook in our kitchen that holds a table and chairs. We just don't use it and have been throwing around ideas of what we could do in that nook instead of the table and chairs. That is just perfect and Owyn would go nuts over it!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Hi Kelly ... welcome! This is a great board. Very supportive, and active too.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM

Oh my goodness, that play kitchen costs $250! Yikes! Get thee to a lumberyard and arm thyself with a saw and a bucket of nails! I often think about putting together a play kitchen for our house, but then I think, "Heck, let her muck around in the real kitchen." We don't have a lot of space, so not sure that we're going to sacrifice the room. Jurie's out on the play kitchen phenomenon.
My sister is making felt food for E for Christmas, so maybe we'll paint a stovetop onto her toybox?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Welcome Kelly!

Makenna LOVES play kitchens. As did I when I was little. I've been dying to get one. Last week while we were buying her shoes she ran off to play with the one in the store and a lady buying shoes for her older son noticed...and said she had anold POttery Barn set in her kitchen she would love to pass on. Those go for like $500!! Only thing is, I gave her my # and e-mail last Thursday and have yet to hear from her. I sure hope she doesn't forget or change her mind!!! She also said she had a little table we could have. A table and kitchen are the 2 things I've really wanted to get.

Ok my whiny girl is demanding my attention...

Cindy

Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Welcome Kelly!

Yeah, I REALLY want to get a play kitchen for Fi but the cost and the space are a big issue. I would love to do it for Christmas though. We'll see. I think she'd love it!

One thing we did spring for this summer was the Learning Tower. It is a big hit! She stands at the counter every night while DH or I makes dinner. She snacks on dinner ingredients, stirs here and there, and plays with measuring cups. Sometimes I pull it up to the sink and let her have at it! I'm really glad that I got it. DH wanted a bright one so we got red. It's bright alright and wish we had just done a natural color but I had to have him on board! LOL

I love reading various blogs but sometimes their lives seem so perfect I can't stand it! LOL Only two crayons to not overwhelm, the perfect EC area, not too many books... It's inspiring and annoying at the same time. Where's the post about the dishes in the sink and the laundry piled up?! I blog too actually and often forget to write about the down sides of mothering. (although mine is mostly a "Hey family that we don't often see, look how cute Fiona is" blog) I don't want to be a hypocrite so I better post a messy kitchen picture soon!

I really need to pack! Heading off for a month tomorrow! One day in Anchorage (getting my first Mayan Abdominal Massage!), a week in Ohio with DH's fam, and then 3 weeks in Washington with my fam. Can't wait! We've been seriously lacking any sunshine this summer so we need a good dose of sun and family!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 PM

I agree with you there, Sue. I think most people just blog about the good things. I checked out Courtney's blog she linked to on FB and I'm glad to see she posts about the good, the bad, and the ugly, lol! I appreciate it.

Looking at that blog does remind me that I really need to keep focused on the kind of play environment I want to create. I like Waldorf, but I've had more experience working in Montessori schools and the way Montessori works really makes sense to me and is something I want to create in the home too. It helps to be reminded of that.

We receive so many hand-me-down toys from family, it's hard to keep focused on that. I really need to de-stash the toys and get back to basics. She's bored with a lot of her toys and overwhelmed, I'm sure, by the full toy box!

Has anyone checked out Knock-Off-Wood? This woman posts tons of plans for building all these sought-after, but too expensive furniture items. Lots of kids furniture there too! A friend of mine just built the toddler daybed and said it was super easy with the help of the blog! I really want to get out to my husband's garage (he has every woodworking and carpentry tool I could imagine out there) and build a new toy storage bench so we can actually organize the things we have.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I live in a one room yurt with a messy kitchen and toys strewn across the floor. Most of the time. And these aren't carefully chosen artsy toys - they're a mix of hand-me-downs from our own childhoods, from other kids in town, and random things people have given Katmai. No room for anything like a play kitchen. I'd get rid of some, but it seems like we need to rotate them frequently to keep him interested. And anything "too young" for him we'll need for the next one!

I don't have a special tower, but I do pull up a chair to the counter for Katmai to stand on while I'm cooking. He's gotten really into "helping" me dump measuring cups of stuff into a bowl, washing the greens from the garden, pretending to roll pie crust, etc...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Hey gals,
I used to post and read here once in a while when we were a ddc. Wondering if I can pop back in and share some life with you all!

First of all, happy 18 month birthdays to everyone! Can you believe it? Wow.

So, question for you. Is anyone doing early potty learning? Especially with a boy? He's quite interested in watching dada go peepee, so I started thinking we might capitalize on that. I read some about how potty learning used to happen much earlier than it does now. I don't know how this overlaps or coincides with EC, but we've not done that and I don't know much about it.

Anyone have thoughts or experience here? Oh, we're moving in a month or so, should I wait until after that? Does potty learning require lots of time at home? Hope everyone is having a great summer.

Meredith

Married to my best friend for 9 years. Loving being at home with my busy boy. Praying for a vbac.gif next time around!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Meredith,

I've got potty on the mind too. My little boy is interested in things related to the potty. I've been telling him the words "pee pee" and "poo poo" when we change diapers. Shortly after he started doing that, he came up to me and told me had poo poo (he did) and said pee pee (I felt his diaper and it was turning warm - he was peeing). Maybe you could introduce words if you havent. Soon I am planning to start changing all of his diapers in the bathroom, so he gets the association down. I let him sometimes come into the bathroom with me and I tell him "pee pee." He also LOVES the concept of wiping lol....he goes into the bathroom and rips off a sheet of toilet paper and wipes down his whole body head to toe then throws it in the toilet!

So I think you can look for "signs" that the kiddos are ready, like you said. I'm sort of approaching the whole potty training in little baby steps. Eventually I'm going to sit him on the potty when I change him or when he tells me he's going at that time. Hope this helped. What everyone else's thoughts?

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 PM

Welcome to the new mama's joining us!

RE potty learning - I'm not really potty learning now, but I have been introducing the idea to my ds for a while. Mostly since he turned one, but I did make some attempts at EC during the first year, so that was also an introduction. He is very aware of his pee's and poop's, he isn't talking yet but he will point to his diaper. He also knows the connection with the potty. And he is often in the bathroom with me when I go and I tell him what I'm doing and he seems to get it. It's all very laid back as I'm not concerned about actually potty learning right now

AK - I feel the same way about a lot of blogs! lol! They just annoy me
I barely make it through the normal daily stuff without even considering fun art projects, outings, and super healthy complete meals. I do like to be inspired though, but I find I get enough inspiration just from you ladies

I hope you got your packing all done and you have an awesome trip!

RE learning tower - I love the idea, but so far we have just been using a chair, Royce loves being up at the counter!

RE play kitchens - I had one as a little girl and loved it. Royce has a little one and he plays with it a bit. I don't know if I'll get him an actual one or not.

I took Royce's measurements today just for fun. He is about 33" and 25lb. His growth has really slowed, he used to be so big, but now he's more 'average'. Although I still get a lot of strangers commenting on him being a big boy

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 AM

We've been away so I'm checking in now. lots to catch up on.
to all the new mamas to the board.
Re: potty learning we have been trying to introduce it since she seems upset by peeing in her diaper and understands and tells us when she is going or needs a change. However as with anything with D she is upset by it. She doesn't like change at all. She cried learning to walk, learning to sign, learning to talk. She just cries. I really hope sitting her on it isn't traumatizing she asks to go on and then cries.

Re: play kitchen, we have a little one from ikea and honestly it is the most played with item in my house. It gets daily use from both kids. We never could decide whether or not to get one for ds and then my in laws got him one so we could stop debating. I'm glad they did. I was going to make one out an old cupboard if they hadn't.

We've had a language explosion here. She told me today "Maaaaamaaaa I'mmmmm hungggggrrrr!" translated mama I'm hungry. This was her first real sentence I think. This is so much earlier than my boy it's amazing to me. We've also had some major progress running and climbing and teething. This makes for one tired cranky girl.

Sue I hope you have a great trip. I like blogs for inspiration but yes I find them a little annoying in that they make me think if I just tried a little harder I could be that organized or clean or healthy. I'm happy being me. I don't need to feel that way.

Oh and who knew the girl who hates the bath loves the pool. She yells deady, seh, doh! translated ready set go! and then throws herself with wild abandon at whoever happens to be in front of her.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 08-04-2010, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome new mamas!

Potty learning: Katmai talks about pee and poop quite a bit (will point to a wet diaper and say "pee!" then point to the new one and say "dry!"). He'll tell us when he's pooping sometimes, and we often notice if he doesn't, so we try to put him on the potty then. It's often a bit late. Other than that, I haven't done anything.

Language explosions are fun. Katmai is hugely into 3 word sentences these days, and especially into labeling things by color (he just learned colors, and is super excited by the concept). So he goes around saying things like "blue walk(ing) stick!" and "drink red wine!" and "Dada in vroom (car). In white vroom!" He also likes numbers, and is insisting on having two of everything (he'll repeat a lot of numbers, but one and two are the ones he actually understands). He uses a lot of signs with his words still, but I understand him, so I hardly pay attention to the difference.

Next week I leave to trek in the Arctic for a month. So much to do!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Hi Kelly and Meredith.

So neat to see how the little ones grow.

Re. potty learning--I was excited about it for a while, then slacked off after Aubs got her last ear infection and stopped eating. I should probably get back on it, since she's holding it in the mornings. Actually this morning she climbed out of our bed and ran into her room saying "die-doo", but then she was dry.... So maybe she was trying to tell me that she was about to go. I dunno.

Yesterday she got ventilation tubes in her ears. It sucked for me. It was hard to decide to do it, but I'm hoping that this will be the end of the ear infections. That last one was just too much. We took her in at 9, they took her from us at 9:40, and we had her back and awake within 15 minutes. The bad part was when she came out of the anesthesia, she was hysterical, and didn't stop fighting us for more than an hour. But I can understand. I'm sure it was scary for her... I really hope this helps make her more comfortable. And it should help with her speech. I hope!

That Pottery Barn play kitchen is SO CUTE. We're moving (again) in ten months, so i'm hoping to avoid any big purchases until after that. Maybe that would be something grandma and grandpa could buy. I guess it will depend on where we go and what type of space we have--right now, we've been told the options are: Kodiak AK, Alameda CA, Baltimore MD, Yorktown VA, and DC. I'm not really excited about any of the options. I love the idea of Kodiak, but I can't imagine being that far from my family (they live in DC), especially now with my favorite grandma in her 80's. I already feel very far away in Texas and i'm sure its super expensive to fly back and forth. We won't find out until winter and then move in May. Sue--any thoughts?

I don't read blogs. They just stress me out. Some days I try to "do activities" and some days Aubs just gets to do with me whatever needs to be done. As far as coloring goes, I tape paper to her highchair and give her two crayons and let her do whatever. I draw things and talk about them, and she seems to get that. We do "inside gymnastics" sometimes--I help her roll forwards and backwards; barrel rolls, roll her on a yoga ball; try to teach her to jump; try to get her to hang on my arm, stand on one foot, wheelbarrow. Mal this might be something you could do with the girls. We also blow bubbles in the bathroom. It is HOT here too.

Hmm think that's it for now! Back to work.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Kate: I live about 15 minutes from Alameda, in Berkeley! DH and I were actually considering moving there. It's a cute, small townish feeling place that is only 1/2 hour from San Francisco. My birth center had their picnic at a great park there this past weekend. PM me if you have any questions! I'm sorry Aubrey had to go through such a scary experience - I know how confused and groggy I feel when I come out of anesthesia and I understand what has been done to me. But thankfully, little ones don't remember this stuff. I hope it solves the problems!

McKittre: You amaze me! Treking in the artic for a month while prego! Wow!

Makenna is soooo cranky and whiny today. I think I must be the world's worst mom bc sometimes I just so feel like telling her to shut up! I don't, of course. She's down for a nap a little early - hopefully that will help!

Cindy

Old 08-07-2010, 01:19 AM

So tonight while nursing Makenna, I asked her is she loves nursing and she giggled. So I asked her if nursing was her favorite thing and she thought for a minute, popped off and told me Elmo is! LOL! I thought for sure she loved my boobs more than Elmo! I thought it was cute. :-) Perhaps it's a good sign that she will indeed wean - one day!

Still really cranky and tantrumy! Has been all week. Not sure if it's still from her dtap shot a week ago or what. I really hope this isn't the beginning of how things are now! The timing seemed too coincidental to the vaccine though. My friends got the dtap vax this week for themselves and said they haven't felt right since so I'm hoping that is all that is bothering her and also hoping that she feels great again soon!

Cindy

Old 08-07-2010, 01:40 AM

Yikes, I didn't even know there was a thread. Sorry about being MIA!! (My February 09 baby was actually the first born in the group...or one of the first born--January 14th).

Catching up:

Mia's now about 21-22 lbs (we'll find out at her wbv Monday...but she's still pretty small). For those that don't know, she was diagnosed as immunoglobulin a deficient (IGA deficient) so she's likely small because a) she's always sick ( ) and b) she's always reacting to something. So far, she's gluten/dairy/egg/nut/scallop free due to severe food reactions (projectile vomiting 6-8 times after exposure to the point of bringing up bile). She's also reacted severely to her only two vaccines (1 at 2 months and 1 at 3 months) so her doctor said no more vaxes. Part of her IgA deficiency is that she can't fight respiratory and gastrointestinal illnesses, but part of it is that a lot of children with IgA deficiencies also have multiple food allergies due to the immune system not knowing how to function.

But despite all that, she's spunky and very active and loves to climb, on everything! She went from having no words at 15 months to now having about 100 words, plus some sentences. (My favorite is that she puts a little bucket on her head, runs around the house and yells "oooooooh I a ghoooooost". It's too cute!). She has absolutely NO delays which is awesome because a) she was a preemie, so we expected her to be behind and b) her biological brother has autism. her adopted sister also has developmental delays too. It's nice that she's completely neurotypical and developing on track.

Potty learning: She loves her potty chair...as a step stool. She does sit on it, but nothing really happens. Mostly though, she uses it to reach light switches. LOL!

Early learning: We are a Montessori house, and we're homeschooling the 3 year old, so she tags along. I do blog about her "tot school" activities: http://barefootinsuburbia.wordpress.com if anyone's interested...her stuff is posted on Tuesdays. We do a lot of simple things, but it's amazing what she can do. Just today, she pulled out her cutting board, pointed to the bananas, and then when I got her one and opened it up, she put it on the cutting board and began cutting it with the little pate knife we keep near her cutting board. Little kiddos are amazing at what they already can do!

I think I'm caught up now.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 08-07-2010, 01:47 AM

Hi Ally!! Nice to hear from you again! I remember the excitement before you had your c-section. You were indeed the first mama from our DDC to give birth! :-) Sorry to hear Mia has been sick. But I'm glad she's developing normally. Love the ghost thing! Makenna loves to run around with tupperware on her head while making noises. Not sure she even knows what a ghost is though.

Cindy

Old 08-07-2010, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Ally,

Sorry to hear that Mia is sick, but glad she's developing well otherwise. And she doesn't seem terribly small. Bigger than my guy, and bigger than a lot of others here as well!

Learning activities: Am I the only one who doesn't really do special activities for their kid? I mean, I play with him, of course, and read him books when he brings them to me (not always, he does this all the time). And his grandmas and dad and other family play with him too. But I let him play on his own when he's willing to. And otherwise I just kind of do stuff and try to get him to either "help" or do some other activity nearby. So he plays with his dump truck, watering can, and shovel when I'm gardening, he helps dump things in the bowl or wash greens when I'm cooking, he picks berries, etc... I really almost never have any specific activity I've planned just for him, but he seems to learn plenty and have fun anyway.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Hi Ally! It's great to hear an update from you, I remember you from when we were all pregnant. I'm so excited to hear about your Montessori activities. I'm in the process of eliminating a ton of toys from my house (garage sale!). Owyn is needing more structure, she is so easily bored with just toys and books. We're converting the basement into a playroom and I'm going strictly with a Montessori atmosphere. I did some teaching in Montessori schools while I was in school, so I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on it, but I'd love any advice you have to offer. It's been a while, so I'm sure there's a lot I'm forgetting!

Tags
Toddlers
User Tag List