February 09 mamas - they're not babies anymore! - Page 25 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#721 of 2966 Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cindy - Glad you had such a great trip. I'm sorry your house didn't work out, but it sounds like it's maybe for the best! And that is so cute about the hand holding, I love when Royce will hold my hand when we're out, it makes me feel so awesome

AK - I have the same issue with nightweaning. Some nights I'm good and I remember that we're trying to nightwean, others I just pull out my boob in a sleepy fog He is so cranky during his night wakings though, he kicks and squirms and screams/cries. It isn't pleasant at all and he's too strong for me to hold.

mckittre - Welcome back!! I read part of your blog, it sounds like you had an awesome adventure!

Starling - Oh I'm so glad Esme's tests went well, what a relief for you!

Back to the boot discussion - I may get Royce some Sorel boots. I was at a huge children's consignment store today and they had a pair that I think fit him (it's so hard to tell with boots!), they had some Kamiks but none in his size. They are only $10 too which is awesome. So I'm going to go back tomorrow and get them, I think (I'm sooo indecisive!)

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#722 of 2966 Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM

I bought the boots And 2 pairs of pants, a shirt, and a monkey backpack/harness (which I know are sometimes frowned upon, but I really think Royce will like it). And all for under $30!! This consignment store is great!

#723 of 2966 Old 09-22-2010, 12:59 PM

sweet Gillian! I love a good deal!

Cindy, I'm glad that you feel good about your decision on the house. It sounds like it was the right thing to do, especially since that opens up some opportunity for you guys to think about moving out of state. I hope you don't mind my asking, but why would the house lock you into having only 2 kids?

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#724 of 2966 Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 PM

Sue: I don't mind you asking. :-) We would be limited to 2 kids bc of the high cost of living here. I would need to go back to work at some point - right now we are planning for that when our youngest starts school. With 3, that would get pushed out too far. We are already on such a tight budget, it's going to be really tough to live here and pay for activities, etc for an older child and with 3 that would be extra tough. Plus the house only had 3 bedrooms. I know you could fit 3 kids in a house that size but mostly it's a money issue here.

Gillian: Yay! I totally want a leash. LOL. Running after makenna in a crowded airport sucked! I vowed I would buy one if we fly again soon.

So I dropped the wake up nursing this morning! She cried for a couple minutes until we got up...but then she gave me a super long and lovely hug and we got up and went about our morning and she hasn't asked once! It might be easier than I anticipated! So I guess we are down to nursing before bed only. Wow! I have mixxed emotions about this but seeing that she is handling it way better than I thought she would tells me she is more ready than I thought.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#725 of 2966 Old 09-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Cindy, I'm sorry the house didn't work out, but glad that you're at peace with the decision. And so glad to hear the weaning is going better than you expected! I still miss nursing even though we've been done for a good 5 months now. Ever since she stopped nursing, I've been badly wanting to have another baby. We're in the waiting period right now and I'm soooo anxious to see if I start my period.

Gillian, I've been so tempted to get one of those leashes! I always frowned upon them when I've seen other people use them, but Owyn wants to get down and walk everywhere we go now. And a lot times she refuses to hold my hand.... I think she would like the leash!

Things are going well here. Owyn is working on her last eye tooth, her final tooth until her 2 year molars! So, bedtime has been restless the last couple of nights. Her new thing is to get a pillow and blanket and lay on the couch next to me at nap/bed time. She does it totally on her own, so I let her! She's turning into such a big girl already!!

So, another decision making time here... do these big decisions ever end?! After I graduated college, I put my name in for a job with Department of Social Services. It's usually super hard to get a job with them and I figured it'd be years before I heard anything, if I ever heard anything. I just did it because all my professors said it was a good idea. Well, I got a notice in the mail from them wanting to know if I want to be considered for a job as a children's service worker. Starting pay would more than double our current income... so that's really tempting. I went ahead and sent the form back with my college transcripts, figuring it can't hurt to see where it leads. Most likely, I won't even get called for an interview... but we'll see. I'm not sure I'd take the job if it was offered too me, a lot of pros and cons to weigh, especially considering the fact we just started TTC again...

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#726 of 2966 Old 09-23-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Cindy - glad you made the right decision for your family. I think one of the keys to happiness is not letting yourself get trapped in a lifestyle you can't afford.

No leashes here. I think I'm lucky to have an unusually compliant toddler (at least so far). He likes to walk with me, but likes to hold my hand and will almost always follow directions.

I limit Katmai's nursing mostly by cutting him off after a minute or two each time he asks, and by not nursing to sleep. It's really not as comfy nursing dry while pregnant, and I know he's not getting anything from me. I'd consider weaning altogether, but I know I'm getting milk back soon, and will be nursing the new one as well, so I might as well keep going.

I love all the adorable things Katmai says now that he talks more. Yesterday we were looking at a kitten picture book, which had a picture of a cat playing with a goat, and one of a cat playing with a guinea pig. Looking at the goat: "Kitty play goat" "That nice goat" Looking at the guinea pig with a confused expression: "That uh-oh goat."
#727 of 2966 Old 09-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Okay I have read about 40 posts back but know I am missing some from the last time i visited. Things have been crazy busy. adjusting to school, taking on all kinds of responsibilities, husbands gone again so I have all his stuff too. I felt like i was drowning or like i would explode with everything but I am starting to learn to balance this new load. I have decided not to apply for midwifery school with hopes of going in January. I'd have to leave my kids in town with a friend for 3 days, 2 nights. Hubs can't do it b/c he's traveling all the time. I have made a new rule, no more than a week then he has to come home. lol. it can't start until he finishes this 2 weeks away.

I loved all your travel stories, even the booboos. my kids would be so jealous if they knew about your camper.

starling- I'm glad the murmur is not dangerous.

I am thinking about night weaning, it is starting to get super annoying, she's waking up more than usual. I guess probably b/c something is going on. That's generally what's behind it. She has stopped with the potty learning. She is talking occasionally. never really one word but sentences or a string of excited sounds. when she is really excited she sort of does this dance-walk. I really need to try and get a video of it.

I love all the "uv one" and this "weally goob" just so cute.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#728 of 2966 Old 09-24-2010, 10:37 AM

I was thinking about making a leash for Aubs the other day. I cut the belt off of her changing pad--I never used it--and was thinking that I could use the buckle and some leftover fabric to make her a little harness... Mostly I was thinking that it would be good for taking walks, because she doesn't listen to me at all, and the cars move pretty quickly on our street. And the zoo, so that she doesn't have to be held or in her stroller constantly. She refuses to hold hands or be worn when there's lots going on...and it's just too hot anyway. Now I sound like I'm justifying it. I guess I am, to myself. Never thought I'd use one, but I also never thought I'd have such a, ah, spirited child!

#729 of 2966 Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
leashes ... I'm of the "there but for the grace of God go I" school of thought on the matter. I happen to have an incredible gluey child who never strays more than four feet away from either myself or any of her loved ones who might be out with her. We go to the park and she leans against my leg and eats her snack and watches the kids. On the street, she lags behind me, dragging her fingers on the dirty storefronts and giving a running commentary to her Bear in her sling.

She does not need a leash of any kind. She needs a catapult! Honestly, I try to gently encourage her away from me! Go play! Go explore! She says, and I kid you not, "No thanks mama. Mé Mé stay right here with you."

HOWEVER ... I have a few very dear friends, every one of them AP, whose children pose a safety hazard to themselves dozens of times a day by bolting away from their mamas/papas while out. Haven't seen a leash among them yet, but wouldn't be surprised to. They do use their strollers to the same effect though, as safety restraint. The kids want to walk, and will ask to, but the mamas will say no. I wonder if their kids weren't bolters, if they'd be more into letting them walk?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#730 of 2966 Old 09-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post
Things have been crazy busy. adjusting to school, taking on all kinds of responsibilities, husbands gone again so I have all his stuff too. I felt like i was drowning or like i would explode with everything but I am starting to learn to balance this new load. I have decided not to apply for midwifery school with hopes of going in January. I'd have to leave my kids in town with a friend for 3 days, 2 nights. Hubs can't do it b/c he's traveling all the time. I have made a new rule, no more than a week then he has to come home. lol. it can't start until he finishes this 2 weeks away.
What a lot on your plate! I'm glad to hear that you're balancing all the new additions to your load. You rock!

What does your husband do that takes him away so often for so long?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#731 of 2966 Old 09-25-2010, 01:36 AM

Starling: Funny you pose the question about the possibility of parents letting their kids walk more if they didn't bolt. My kid runs away as fast as possible, laughing her head off, every time I let her down somewhere. She does it bc she knows it annoys me. Giving chase or telling her to come back only makes her run faster and laugh harder. Today we went on a meetup at a redwood grove. It had a paved path and I let Makenna walk. I actually did think of you while we were walking and about how Esme loves to explore the nature around her (rather than socialize). I tried to channel you for a bit. LOL. But after a millon times of running back the same way we came or going off path (and into a patch of possible poison oak!) I'd had enough and strapped her into the stroller. Needless to say, she was not happy. I don't let her walk as much as maybe I should bc she either runs off into crowds, etc. or refuses to go the right direction. I just don't think she's quite ready for the responsibility unless the area is completely safe. And the last couple meetups I've gone to that weren't in fenced in tot lots haven't been enoyable for me bc I spent my time running after Makenna instead of being able to have a conversation.

TGIF everyone! We stopped at a horse stable on the way to our walk this morning - Makenna LOVED seeing the horses up close and personal. She says they are her favorite animal and later today she told me "love horse" and did the "i love you" sign while saying it. :-)

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#732 of 2966 Old 09-25-2010, 09:32 AM

My dh is doing solar water cooling and/or heating. He says during the winter he will be home more often which would make sense since a lot of the jobs he's doing are places where it snows.

All of my kids have been occasional runners. They don't bolt every time but they like to go there own direction. It's kind of nice now b/c I can send my oldest, Jewel, off to grab June...although sometimes she does this thing were she pretends like she's trying to catch the baby but really she's trying to get the baby to run more. She thinks I can't tell the difference. I generally let her walk, but a lot of times we are at places that it doesn't matter that much. I try to stick to those situations for the most part. I think it then helps when we are somewhere and I really need her to stay close b/c she is more likely to listen to me. When we are at my older girls school cleaning (I clean the school grounds every day prior to a school day) I just let her wander as much as she wants. So she gets the exploration she craves. If she WON'T listen and stay I usually put her in the pouch and sometimes i have to carry her while she thrashes and wails. Fun times.

I did ALMOST get a leash for my daughter Josephine it was so frustrating with her, but in the end I just couldn't bring myself to leash my child even with the cute monkey backpack.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#733 of 2966 Old 09-25-2010, 02:53 PM

Ahhh! I am so sick of the No word! Owyn has learned how to use it and uses it well. Everything I ask her gets a very snotty sounding "No no!!" Even when she doesn't mean it, she just likes saying it and says it really mean! Where in the world did this come from??

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#734 of 2966 Old 09-25-2010, 05:31 PM

No bolting here. Fiona sticks pretty close to me. We also aren't really in places much where she can't explore. If there are many people around she sticks quite close. She too is pretty shy. A friend and her kids (that I used to babysit last year) came over for a play date the other day. It was a huge thing that Fiona crawled onto my friends lap to read a story. That never happens. She'd rather be with Mama or Papa or a select few kids.

She's a little nature girl too. Anytime she's grumpy (like this AM) we just get her out in the woods and all is well in her world again. She's a collector of rocks, sticks and spruce cones. She's also a champion puddle stomper! All of these things keep her so occupied she feels no need to run off. It's really quite nice!

Starling I remember you mentioned this before too. This quiet personality of hers has me really thinking about school environments and what would be good for my introverted girl. I bring her to one group thing each week. It's a music class. I have to be sure to be there early so that we can walk into a quiet room and Fiona can watch as the other kids and parents come in. To arrive late and walk into a bustling room full of kids isn't her thing at all! I wonder how long such personality traits persist and how to gently build her confidence. She does enjoy it while we are there if I set thing up right.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#735 of 2966 Old 09-25-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
Starling I remember you mentioned this before too. This quiet personality of hers has me really thinking about school environments and what would be good for my introverted girl.
I know it's way early, but I truly wonder about this too. Esmé is very organized and orderly, so I'm not sure that a free-style alternative school (what I would've loved!!!) would work for her either. I actually looked into the private Montessori, IB, and Waldorf Schools in the last week or so, and the tuition runs about $13000 for a school year.

Who knows what we'll end up doing. Like I've said before, either the French school, or homeschooling. Leaning more towards homeschooling, so long as we could arrange our work schedules around it. Esmé is already quite into her alphabet and knows her shapes and colours already, so will likely be quite comfortable with her letters and numbers by the time school age comes around. So whatever learning environment she ends up in, I just don't want her to be bored. And please don't get the impression that I'm one of those force-the-flashcard-read-by-three mamas ... it's just her nature. She's got a busy internal world.

Esmé just started a six-week art class with my partner. They do it on Wednesday mornings. Again, Mé isn't thrilled at the thought of being in a group of unpredictable toddlers, but I hope that by doing a more structured class now and then will encourage her to get more comfortable in groups.

What are you thinking, AK? Do you have many options?

#736 of 2966 Old 09-25-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
Starling: Funny you pose the question about the possibility of parents letting their kids walk more if they didn't bolt. My kid runs away as fast as possible, laughing her head off, every time I let her down somewhere.
Awesome adventurous little monkey! Now, if you added an infant to that mix (still working on that, Cindy?) I'd be the first one in line to get a leash!

#737 of 2966 Old 09-25-2010, 05:58 PM

No we have zero options. Well that isn't really true. The preschools here are of the religious variety and are also of the chaotic, un ordered preschool variety. Neither of those are options for us. I grew up Catholic and attended Catholic school K-12 but I don't need religion pushed on my preschooler. Both of these do! One is Baptist and the other Lutheran. If we stay here then she won't do preschool and as we enter the primary years we will homeschool.

There is talk of a group of parents trying to start a co-op preschool in the next year. I may be interested in that. Again, it would depend on the setting, number of kids, philosophy etc...

If we leave, which we hope to in about 2 years, we hope to find something that will work for her. I like aspects of Montessori and Waldorf both. Of course there are things I don't like about both too. It's hard! A lot will probably depend on where we end up moving. Homeschooling sounds more and more appealing. And yes, I know its early but I think its important to think about early. Maybe Esmé and Fiona can be homeschooling pen pals!

#738 of 2966 Old 09-25-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
Maybe Esmé and Fiona can be homeschooling pen pals!
Totally! I call roadtrip! (After all, they'd have to meet eventually!)

#739 of 2966 Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM

Ack - Starling - i'm hoping Makenna will get the running away out of her system by the time a new one comes along. Otherwise I'll just have to strap the new one on tight and keep on runnin! Yep, still working on a second, with little success. My luteal phase is still super short. My midwife and OB both ordered hormone testing. I had my annual exam yesterday and the doctor was very fast to reccomend clomid! I know I don't need that. I do think I might try progesterone supplements next month if my luteal phase is still short this month. She said she'd prescribe some. I can't take it this month bc we are testing my progesterone levels and need to get true reading. I am hoping that since we are down to 1 nursing/day now, my body will sort itself out. I know it's the nursing that is messing things up. I think I'd rather wean than take clomid. But I would prefer to let Makenna keep this 1 nursing/day until she wants to stop.

DH and I visited a friend and their 3 week old baby today! She was 2 weeks early like Makenna and weighed the same as her at birth - 5 lbs 12 oz. So tiny! And she is colicy and wails from 12am -6am. Their stories made me wonder why I am in such a hurry to have another!

Cindy

#740 of 2966 Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 AM

I love hearing about your shy girls. Owyn takes a bit to warm up to people, but after the first few minutes, she's usually her normal self... loud and outgoing!

I've thought a lot about the school thing as well. We have a few different options here. I'm really leaning towards the Montessori school at least for preschool. But I cannot decide for the school years, I'm glad I'm thinking about it early because it's a really hard decision! With her personality, I think she would feel comfortable in the public school, but I am really unhappy with the public schools in this country right now, so I will just have to see where they are by the time she's old enough to enter. The Montessori school goes to 8th grade, but they just added the grades 2 years ago and it's still a very small program. If she was an introvert, I think it'd be great for her, but she's more of a social butterfly, so I don't know. There's also a Lutheran school that goes to 8th grade, but it's also very low on numbers...

I found out yesterday my SIL is pregnant! This will be their 4th. I called DH (who is on a camping trip this weekend) and said "She's pregnant and I'm not!" He just laughed and said "Well, we need to fix that!" I'm really hoping to be pregnant by Christmas...

I took Owyn to a bridal shower yesterday, then went with my sister to the new American Girl store in the area. Wow, I certainly felt like I was that mom all day with the screaming toddler. She didn't want to be in her stroller, didn't want me to hold her, didn't want me to even hold her hand. She just wanted to run away from me! It was like she didn't want me to be able to see her, she'd run around the corner and hide from me! I really needed that leash!

#741 of 2966 Old 09-26-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Katmai's kind of shy too, especially with kids his own age. Goes along with the not bolting, I guess. He doesn't mind crowds though (maybe because he's accompanied us while we give talks enough times), and doesn't take too long to warm up to adults. But we were at a party yesterday and there was another little boy his age (with 2 older sisters) that kept trying to tackle him. He definitely wanted nothing to do with that! I'm working on getting him some more time with some less crazy toddlers.

As far as school, here it's pretty much send your kid to "the school" or don't. Preschool is headstart, the school is a public K-12 with around 80 kids total, so quite small. I'm inclined to do it as long as he does OK there - pretty much all the other kids in town will be there, and in a school that small, one more kid (or two when my next one comes along) is a significant part of the community and a significant impact on the funding. And it would be nice to have more time to work at home. I'm not the type that goes out of my way to do "projects" with him - if he's happily playing, I just ignore him.

Does anyone else's kid get into clothing fights? He doesn't seem to care which clothes, but often insists on not changing, adding, or removing any. Several days lately he's been wandering around outside in just socks. Yesterday he insisted on no pants either. Other times he won't take his coat off. I haven't bothered to fight him, but he looks pretty funny when we go out sometimes!
#742 of 2966 Old 09-26-2010, 04:21 PM

McKittre we have the clothing fights here but when it's cold and I need to go out I have to have the fight. I usually try and sing her song "Old MacDonald" so she's distracted.
AK and Starling my son was a very reserved shy child until he was about 2.75 and then he suddenly blossomed into this very articulate, confident child. As long as he is well prepared for whatever he is going to he just goes and does his thing and doesn't need me. In new situations and new places he's still hesitant but anywhere he knows he's very confident in. Not saying your girls aren't going to stay shy but I think sometimes the adventurousness and defiance lol comes out when they hit 3. My boy is still very busy internally and is incredibly imaginative and can amuse himself for hours but now he seems to also need social stimulation and he does really well in an organized traditional preschool environment.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#743 of 2966 Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 AM

I've used the leash a couple of times now, it does feel sort of weird to have him on a leash. I keep thinking everyone around is judging me But, Royce thinks it's great. He looks so proud of himself wearing his little monkey on his back, I think for him it's like when I wear him on my back. And he doesn't seem to realize I have a hold of the monkey's tail. It's nice to be able to let him walk and feel safe about it.

Royce's personality is sort of a mix. At home he's a bit of a nut, busy, 'talking' (babbling) constantly, getting into everything. If we're out in adult public places (shopping, etc.) he's pretty much the same, hence the need for the lease. BUT, if there are other kids around (playgroup, etc.) he won't leave my side and becomes very shy. He may eventually warm up to the other kids, I think he is getting better over time. He warms up a lot quicker to kids that are older than him. He'll watch them intently and then start to follow them and try and copy them.

As for school, Royce will probably be in public school. I love the idea of a montessori or waldorf education, but I'm not sure if it's financially possible. I do have a lot of concerns about public school though. It's the homework that bothers me. The idea of kids as young as grade 1 having homework is crazy. I feel like after school time should be for bonding with your family or enjoying activities that HE chooses to do. But we'll see what happens. I've got a few years.

mckittre - the only clothing thing Royce has is with socks, he always takes them off. I think I'm going to get him some robeez for indors so he'll keep his feet warm this winter.

mal - I hope things work out with the job, it does sound like a good opportunity! Too bad the mat leave in the US is so terrible, they would only have to hold the job for 6 weeks, right? Or am I mistaken on that? Here in Canada you would get 1 year - makes it a lot easier to start a new job even while ttc.

#744 of 2966 Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post

mal - I hope things work out with the job, it does sound like a good opportunity! Too bad the mat leave in the US is so terrible, they would only have to hold the job for 6 weeks, right? Or am I mistaken on that? Here in Canada you would get 1 year - makes it a lot easier to start a new job even while ttc.
Yeah, typical maternity leave is 6 weeks. A lot of places are offering a little longer now. The little one I baby sit, her mom was able to take off 12 weeks paid. We also have FMLA (family medical leave act) that says I could take off up to twelve weeks, but they only have to pay for the 6 weeks of maternity leave, and likely that's not the whole income. And... most of that only takes effect after you have worked somewhere for a year. So, if I got pregnant now and had the baby before my first year was up, they don't have to offer anything. I'd have to take all my vacation and sick time to get any time off. My SIL ran into this problem with her most recent baby and only took off 2 weeks!

I took Owyn to a nearby pumpkin patch and petting zoo yesterday and she has soooo much fun! After such a rough weekend with wedding showers and shopping (so not her thing!) it was great to take her to a place where she could just wander, run, and do her thing all she wanted! She fed goats and made the turkeys gobble at her. She picked out her own pumpkin and took a ride on the train they had there. Then, we had a picnic lunch and she played to her heart's content on their awesome playground. We need more days like that!

#745 of 2966 Old 09-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Mal, that sounds like a magical day! I love days like that. I wish we had a pumpkin patch. The 4-H kids here barge a butch of pumpkins up each year though. We go to that to pick out our pumpkin at the fairgrounds. They also have a few games that Fiona was too little for before but might enjoy this year. I love stuff like that! I hope someday we can go to a full on harvest festival!

Remember when I was asking about boots? I pulled out a bin of hand me downs in the next size up and found the perfect pair in there for winter! Yeah! I love hand me downs. So glad to not have to spend the money on that!

Here is a fun recipe to share that we made the other day. We had so much fun with it!
1 cup of corn starch, 1/2 cup of water, food coloring optional
mix it up with your hands. you may need a bit more corn starch
this concoction is crazy because its part liquid and part solid. We had a ton of fun playing with it!

#746 of 2966 Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the tip Sue! We did that once at Makenna's facilitated playgroup. She didn't like the way it felt. Today at that playgroup, they let the kids paint cardboard with water. Just dip the brushes and sponges in water. They can also paint the walls with water. Makenna loved it. I'm going to have to do that one at home.

Can I just say - I am SO happy that we moved Makenna's bedtime later! We pushed it to 8 instead of 7. I am enjoying eating dinner with her. But we are actually getting to sleep in until a human hour. Today she slept until 7:30!

Cindy

#747 of 2966 Old 09-29-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Now I just need Katmai to go to bed at a sane hour! The past few nights he's been up until 11! (and still getting up 8 ish)

The pumpkin patch sounds fun. Not that pumpkins will really grow here. But Katmai helped us dig the potatoes yesterday, which he enjoyed. The first time he's really been interested in eating potatoes - he almost couldn't wait until they were cooked!
#748 of 2966 Old 10-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Helllllloooooo!!!!! Where is everybody??? It's been DAYS since anyone has posted

Mal - Have you made any big decisions about your job? I'm sure it must be tough!
I can't wait to take Royce to get a pumpkin, it sounds like you had a pretty cool place to go to!

AK - I love hand-me-downs, that's where most of Royce's wardrobe for the winter came from. But I had to get boots on my own, so I was glad the consignment store had some!
And thanks for sharing the recipe, I want to try that! I think I already packed the cornstarch though so it will have to wait until we get moved.

Royce will happily stay up late, sometimes it results in sleeping in but not always. He is usually up around 7:30-8. His nap is getting shorter and shorter, from 2 hours down to 1. On days when he skips his nap for whatever reason he will actually go to bed at a normal time, like 8. But often I'm lucky to get him asleep by 9. Did you know that there are toddlers who take 3 hour naps??? I heard this at a playgroup recently, I don't want to believe it's true. A 3 hour nap AND a reasonable bedtime

Oh, and I'm totally failing at nightweaning. I have been regularly nursing no matter what time it is at night.

#749 of 2966 Old 10-03-2010, 10:49 PM

No major decisions yet. I'm still waiting to see if I get called for an interview, and I'll just see where we go from there.

Owyn's naps are typically 1.5-2 hours long. 2 hours is great and means she'll be ready for bed around 8. 1.5 hours means she'll be fussier by 7 and going to sleep by 7:30. She took a 3.5 hour nap one day last week and it was hell getting her to bed at a reasonable time that night!

I went to a good friend's bachelorette party last night. It was really great to have an adult night out without having to chase after a toddler all night, I almost didn't know what to do with myself! DH even let me sleep as late as I wanted this morning, it was wonderful!! Next weekend, Owyn is staying the night with my IL's while we go visit our friends a few hours away. This will be the second time she has stayed all night with them, but the first time we've left town. I'm hoping to have a good time, but sure I'll be a nervous wreck the whole time!

#750 of 2966 Old 10-05-2010, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mal - I don't think I've ever been at a party without Katmai - I don't think I'd know what to do with myself! That said, the only adult-limited activity in town is a smoky bar - all parties are all ages.

We've given up on bedtimes. We go through the routine, my husband tries to take him to bed, and if it doesn't stick, we just wait until he finally asks to go. Even if it is 11PM. We can't spend all evening getting him to sleep anymore. And he's probably only 2 for 7 at napping at all this past week.

Winter is here. At least winter is a couple hundred feet above us. Went hiking with a friend today in the one non-pouring rain day we've had in a week. Ended up walking through nearly foot-deep snow, sunny, below-freezing, and windy. Beautiful, but we didn't prepare the toddlers for winter, so they couldn't get down to play...

And along with winter coming, I only have a little over 10 weeks until Katmai's little brother or sister shows up. Eeek!

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page