February 09 mamas - they're not babies anymore! - Page 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#781 of 2966 Old 10-09-2010, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here is one type of balance bike... no pedals so the kids learn to balance and glide before moving to petals and don't need training wheels. They also make metal ones too which are more like a "real" bike but I like those wooden ones. I suppose if older kids are around riding bikes (siblings and such) the metal one would be cooler!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#782 of 2966 Old 10-09-2010, 12:57 PM

McKittre I am applying to graduate studies as a distance program in Health Information Sciences and Nursing. It's a double degree. The prep course is for grad studies in nursing. But apparently the email I got on how to apply was wrong since it's still an undergrad course. So I have to reapply. Hopefully I have not missed the deadline because of this. It starts in January and uses a lot of the online software and technology the graduate courses will so I think it will help familiarize me.

Play Kitchens we have this one. It fits nicely under our little window. It is honestly the most played with item in my house. But my ds is a cook in his own right at 4. He has been since he was about 18months. Food is his thing. So I'm sure he steers his sister in that direction. Both of them also love the duplo. We have a train set and it never gets much play and a dollhouse that hardly ever gets used.
Her favorite thing right now is babies. I think I'm going to get her the little doll bed from Ikea and make her some doll diapers. I really wanted to get her own of those nursing dolls but I couldn't justify the expense. 130 bucks for a doll is just too much. They were absolutely gorgeous and certainly felt sturdy. I also really liked these pixie dolls. I think she'll probably also get a stroller.
As for books she likes to 'weed' anything as long as it moves quickly.
My kids always get pajamas and an ornament. It's a tradition.
This topic is good since my cousin's little boy is having his 2nd birthday next weekend and I want to get him something he'll love.
Well I'm off to work last day.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#783 of 2966 Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Oh my goodness, Nilla! Those nursing dolls are beautiful! Esmé would love one! I made her some flashcards the other day for the alphabet and as we went along, she'd pick what picture she wanted on the card. I'd say, "A is for ..." and she'd say "Apple." B for bee, C for cow and so on. Until we got to N. I said, "And N is for?" And while I was trying to think of something, she piped up, "N is for nipples! N is for num nums! N is for nursing!" And so I drew a picture of me, topless!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#784 of 2966 Old 10-09-2010, 07:05 PM

Nilla: Those dolls are awesome. Makenna heard the music playing and came and sat on my lap and enjoyed looking at them. She nurses her toys sometimes.

Starling: Wow - Esme is a bright one!! I can't even get Makenna to sing the ABC song with me. She knows some letters but doesn't knowwhat words go along - that is super advanced! :-) BTW, I was wondering - you're not planning to wean before TTC are you? I'm guessing no. Nursing has really messed with my cycle. Hopefully yours is back to normal, despite the nursing.

Sue: Have you tested yet??? :-)

Makenna and I both were sick yesterday. So hard being a mom when you are sick and your little one needs you even more. We're both much better today though, thankfully. She also got another tooth so she kept saying "mouth boo boo". It's very nice now that she can tell me what hurts...makes things so much easier.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#785 of 2966 Old 10-10-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
Nilla: Those dolls are awesome. Makenna heard the music playing and came and sat on my lap and enjoyed looking at them. She nurses her toys sometimes.

Starling: Wow - Esme is a bright one!! I can't even get Makenna to sing the ABC song with me. She knows some letters but doesn't knowwhat words go along - that is super advanced! :-) BTW, I was wondering - you're not planning to wean before TTC are you? I'm guessing no. Nursing has really messed with my cycle. Hopefully yours is back to normal, despite the nursing.

Sue: Have you tested yet??? :-)

Makenna and I both were sick yesterday. So hard being a mom when you are sick and your little one needs you even more. We're both much better today though, thankfully. She also got another tooth so she kept saying "mouth boo boo". It's very nice now that she can tell me what hurts...makes things so much easier.

Cindy
Hi Cindy ... Esmé is certainly a wordy little kid. And she does love the alphabet! Her favourite letters are E, S and M. Wonder why?

Hmm, weaning before TTC. Well, I already take birth control pills to regulate my cycle, so it's bang on in terms of timing, but I do notice that it my period is considerably shorter and lighter. If I have to wean before doing an IVF cycle, it would mean pushing the dates back by far. I can't imagine weaning her any time in the near future. She is so boob-obsessed. I would really like to encourage other ways for her to be soothed by me. Any suggestions?

I have started to tell her that babies need num-nums more than big girls. That's not something I ever wanted to do, but I need to start somewhere. Poor Mé. She just loves nursing. And after such a rocky start with it and low, low supply, I don't want to give it up any earlier than necessary.

Sorry to hear that you two were sick ... it makes me wonder how I'll manage being pregnant and feeling poorly. Mckittre? How have you felt during this pregnancy?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#786 of 2966 Old 10-10-2010, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been lucky with this pregnancy so far. I didn't even know I was pregnant until 11 weeks, so missed out on the early symptoms, and have been basically fine and active (though a little slower and sleepier) since. I also got pregnant with Katmai literally the first moment it was possible, and with this one as a surprise accident despite an all-the-time nurser. Feel free to hate me now. Though I think my husband's getting snipped after this one, or I'll end up with a dozen kids! I did have some strange complications near the end of my pregnancy with Katmai (a weird liver-related itching thing), so I'm holding my breath that doesn't come back.

starling - if you don't need to stop nursing to get pregnant, it'll probably be OK. Katmai loves his nursing too, but has dealt pretty well with the loss of milk, and with me severely limiting the length of nursing sessions. He still asks and nurses though, so I expect I'll be nursing both soon.

Esme's alphabet is impressive! Katmai is wordy enough when it comes to communication, but hasn't shown any interest in letters.

Cindy - Every time Katmai hurts himself, he comes to me and says "Need dis(kiss) on --- (whatever body part)" Very cute, but wouldn't work so well for teething!

I wish I could get Katmai to show even the slightest interest in babies or dolls. I got him some "baby coming" and "big brother" type books, and he won't look at them - keeps bringing me ocean-themed books instead. He'd rather we brought home a new octopus, I think.
#787 of 2966 Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 AM

It is 5:00am and I am awake Not because of Royce though, we had a fire alarm in the building about an hour ago and now I can't get back to sleep (Royce is back to sleep). I hate this!

Anyway,

Starling - Wow! I am totally impressed with Esme! She sounds like a very smart girl!

It's hard to tell with Royce what he really knows as he still isn't talking. I think he's going to need speech therapy. I'm a little worried that something is wrong. He saw the doctor at 19 months, and the doctor admitted he was a little behind but thought we should give it a few months to see if he has a breakthrough. It's only been a month since then and I guess Royce does have a couple more words. But I find even the words he does say are garbled in a strange way. For instance, he recently learned 'cow' but the way he says it is a really long drawn out 'owwww', no 'c', he seems to drop the first letter on a lot of words. Except maybe 'doggie' which he says very quickly. And he has a weird sort of babble that I haven't heard from any other toddlers his age. It is like he is carrying on a complete conversation in a different language. It's very unique. He also doesn't copy sounds/words that I make, sometimes it seems like he's trying to but what he is saying isn't even the right sound or in any way similar to my word. I don't know. I've read that you don't have to worry until age 2, but at the same time I don't want to wait and have him get further and further behind.

Okay, so I guess I'm rambling on because it's 5 in the morning

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#788 of 2966 Old 10-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
I got him some "baby coming" and "big brother" type books, and he won't look at them - keeps bringing me ocean-themed books instead. He'd rather we brought home a new octopus, I think.

And here's hoping and praying that the liver itching stays at bay!

#789 of 2966 Old 10-10-2010, 01:39 PM

Gillian ... Is it really time yet to worry? I have a friend who takes care of three little ones all around the age of our babes and they have about ten words between them. And her little boy doesn't say anything except "Hi" and "No." And he's a Jan 28th baby. Isn't it supposed to be more about receptive language at this point?
I know that Esmé is a bit ahead in terms of language, and I always feel like a braggart when it comes up, but I'm constantly worried about her social development and her intense anxiety about minor things. If it's not one thing, it's another ... when, in reality, by the time our little ones are five it will all have evened out!

#790 of 2966 Old 10-10-2010, 02:19 PM

McKittre: I hope the liver itching stays away! eww! Makenna is super into me kissing boo boos now too. I kiss probably 50/day. LOL. She seems to concoct a lot or tal about old ones from weeks ago and need them kissed.

Gillian: I'm guessing it's still normal too. But perhaps there are things you can do to help him along a bit extra? I'm sure you are already doing them. I do buy into the boys talking later idea myself.

Well we had a rough night. M sounded like she was getting croup so we had her in bed all night. I had cramps bc my period was arriving and was uncomfy. Blah. So another month of no baby. Not surprised. I think I'll be starting some meds this month that will hopefully do the trick. My cycle lengthened 1 day this month but is still on the short side, despite being down to only nursing before bed. Makenna was so stuffy last night she nursed a tiny bit then I wiped her nose and she didn't want to nurse anymore. I'm starting to think she might actually give it up for good on her own in the nearer term rather than later. :-(

Starling: I never thought I'd be able to get down to 1 nursing after how addicted M was. She handled it WAY better than I ever imagined possible. I hear you on not wanting to rush it though! I feel a bit bad weaning this much but I haven't been able to get preg and nursing was starting to wear me down. I do plan to let her keep her 1 nursing/day until she doesn't want it anymore though. Even if it means tandeming. I think a low supply mama can handle 1 extra nursing/day.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#791 of 2966 Old 10-10-2010, 06:04 PM

Yeah, it probably is a bit early for me to be worrying. That's what I get for rambling at 5 in the morning It is a bit of a concern, but I'm still planning on waiting until he's 2 and then seeing how he's doing at that point. And I'm visiting my mom today and I was outside for a minute and she was with Royce and she insists that he said 'where's mama?' which would be his first sentence (sort of a sentence), if he actually did say it.

Cindy - I'm sorry af arrived. I hated that when ttc, it seems so rude of mother nature to announce 'oh you're not pregnant, and btw here are some cramps for you'

Starling - I love hearing all the amazing things our little ones are doing - it's not bragging at all! And Royce's receptive language is pretty good, so he's probably ok for now. The Dr. Sears charts freak me out a bit though (in 'The Baby Book'). I guess we all worry, but all of our babies have different developmental milestones that they are working on and excelling at

My 'bragging' about Royce would probably be his skills at the playground climbing and doing everything on his own. He also is excellent at catch and has even started kicking the ball. Oh, and just the other day he put his shoes on by himself! And of course he's adorable

#792 of 2966 Old 10-11-2010, 11:15 AM

Sue- Anxiously waiting to hear if you tested this weekend!

We had a great weekend feeling like kids again. Owyn seemed to have a great time with my ILs while DH and I had a weekend away. They said she was pretty quiet all day Saturday, like she was just wondering if we were coming back. She's been back to her normal self for the most part, since we got home. She did have a mini-meltdown when DH left for work this morning, which is something she never does. So, I guess she's still adjusting.

I had some menstrual-like cramps all day yesterday, but no period. I'm hoping it was ovulation, which would hopefully mean a BFP sometime soon! Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#793 of 2966 Old 10-11-2010, 04:34 PM

Nursing--we weaned earlier than I had planned, but it got to a point where I just couldn't TAKE it anymore. Aubs was a violent nurser.... But it makes me so happy that she remembers nursing. She'll be sitting on my lap (like facing me) and look down my shirt and say "boo?" "Yep, boobies. What are boobies for?" "Baby!" And then she'll pretend to nurse (in this toothy, chompy eating way). So it makes me a little sad, but she is fine with it, so that helps. It also helps that she feeds her baby doll a bottle through it's belly button--because babies eat boobies.

Mal--

Sentences--don't think Aubs has any real ones yet. She says "nigh night Dada" and "awe you mieuuu?" (Where are you, milk? when looking for her cup.)

Has anyone ever noticed how many words start with "B"? Baby, blanket, bye bye, bird, big, button, bed, bear....

#794 of 2966 Old 10-11-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post

I had some menstrual-like cramps all day yesterday, but no period. I'm hoping it was ovulation, which would hopefully mean a BFP sometime soon! Keep your fingers crossed for us!
BFP! BFP! Come on, BFP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
It also helps that she feeds her baby doll a bottle through it's belly button--because babies eat boobies.
So cute. Esmé saw a baby being fed a bottle in a cafe the other day:
E: Mama, what dat baby drinkin'?
Me: Her mama is giving her some milk, in a bottle.
E: Bottle?
Me: Yes, some babies get their milk from a bottle.
E: Dat baby no have num-nums? No nurse mama?
Me: Maybe she nurses too.
E: (Shaking her head) No nursing. Baby want num-nums!
At this point the baby started crying. Esmé looked at me, alarmed. "Baby needs num-nums, Mama! No bottle!"

It would seem that I have created a militant pro-breastfeeder. If only she knew the struggle I had with low supply and donor milk and supplemental nursing systems!!!

#795 of 2966 Old 10-11-2010, 06:40 PM

I tested and got a negative... on an expired test! Ha! The control line came up though. I figure if I still don't have a period I'll test again with a new test towards the end of the week. I'm much more relaxed about it this time around... mostly because I don't really think it's possible.

I've been having this wierd light headed dizzy thing going on though. I'm getting over the longest ever cold and think it has more to do with that then anything but it does have me thinking...

I've started the process of night weaning again with more effort this time around. To begin with I've been cutting the nursing short by telling her "finish up, nu-nu's go night night." For the first two nights she just unlatched and rolled over and went back to sleep! Last night she fussed more about but was able to fall asleep after only a few minutes of crying/fussing. Early this morning I just pulled her in with me from her side carred bed and she didn't even try to nurse. I'm feeling like this is going to work after all. I just need to take it slow and hope that when I tell her no from the beginning she doesn't flip. I'm going to wait several more days on that.

Starling, I love that conversation of Esmé's!

Gillian, while I think that you are still in the normal range with Royce I think a speech evaluation might be worth it. If they do indeed find that he needs speech therapy then great you are starting early! If he is just slightly delayed they can likely give you some things to work on at home. Every parent that I know with a child in speech therapy wishes that they started earlier. I hope that this doesn't worry you more- just another perspective.

Cute Fiona thing... we've all had colds and she always says bless you. Now she calls tissues "bless you." Cuteness.

Mal, fingers crossed.
Cindy, sorry this wasn't the month for you. Are you going to try Clomid? I plan on doing a couple more months of mayan massage and then we'll go back to the clomid route. Sure would love to at least skip the IUI. We'll see.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#796 of 2966 Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Gillian - Everything I've heard/read suggests that receptive language is really the important thing - if he understands you, he'll probably talk when he's ready. (kids who don't understand might have hearing or other problems)

It's really true how they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, and develop different skills at different times. Katmai's jabbering away in sentences, attempting to pick up words like "flotsam" and "helicopter", and memorizing his shorter books. And he does well balancing and walking on slippery/uneven terrain. But he still can't/won't climb up or down a simple kitchen chair! The kids a couple months younger than Katmai that we usually hang out with don't talk much, but can already climb better.

starling - a toddler breastfeeding activist - I love it.
#797 of 2966 Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM

Anyone here had any experience with Fifth Disease? I'm wondering if Owyn has it... She woke up yesterday with some red blotchiness around her nose. I didn't think anything of it since she had just woke up. Then, she had a couple of meltdowns throughout the morning. So, when it stayed there, didn't think anything of it. By last night, it had spread all over her cheeks. Now, she has some blotchiness around her neck and on her chin. It's flat to the skin, not raised at all and doesn't seem to be bothering her. So, just not sure...

She did run a little bit of a fever last night and is slightly less warm this morning, but she has a tooth coming in. Pretty sure the tooth is in the process of breaking through today, so I'm not sure if it's all related to the teething...

The reading I did on Fifth Disease, basically tells me it'll run its course and shouldn't be contagious once the rash shows up. But, it can cause a miscarriage if a pregnant woman is exposed to it. If I really did ovulate over the weekend, it's possible I'd be newly pregnant right now and not be able to tell yet... Ugh... DH is coming home in a little while to take her to the doctor, so I guess we'll see.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#798 of 2966 Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 PM

Mal - I have no experience with fifth disease, BUT, I don't think you need to worry if you are pregnant. It takes a couple of weeks before the baby would be connected to your blood stream, in the beginning they get everything from the yolk sac. I'm sure it will be okay.

AK - that is was just the expired test!

I've been nursing a bit less this week because my nipples are sooo sore! I think it could be related to my cycles or that Royce was messing up his latch recently (he's getting a couple new teeth). And I have a cold so I'm exhausted and grumpy and don't feel like nursing. Although, he still nurses before bedtime/nap, when waking up from bedtime/nap, a couple times through the night, and maybe once more during awake time

#799 of 2966 Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 PM

Mal, I'm sure everything will be OK. Let us know what the Doc says. Hope Owyn is feeling better soon!

Gillian, have you moved yet? Isn't that any time now? I'm sure you are anxious to get settled in your new home. A clean slate! This will be so good for you and Royce!

Yesterday DH had off of work. He got to see a day in the life with an extra kid around. He said he understands why the house isn't always put together when he gets home now! It was a good day!

One thing that we have been working on with Fiona is grabbing toys from my daycare girl. She whines and grabs, whines and grabs. I've been telling her to use her words... I want that please. If I am right there to intervene she'll do it. Then it is explaining she might have to wait... My daycare girl sometimes reminds her too which is sweet but otherwise is a typical 3 year old and says "NO!" So how do you teach sharing to kids? Especially kids who aren't really old enough to share? (like our little ones, I think a 3 year can)

#800 of 2966 Old 10-13-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
Gillian, have you moved yet? Isn't that any time now? I'm sure you are anxious to get settled in your new home. A clean slate! This will be so good for you and Royce!
Yep! It's being done in two parts though. I leave tomorrow to go there because I get the place on Friday so I have to sign the lease, be there for the utilities people, etc. And then I will be staying with my friends for a week, then next weekend we move all my stuff up (I had to wait until then because my dad couldn't help this weekend, and I can't do it without him). But I am excited to get up there tomorrow! And it will be a giant relief next Sunday when everything is done!
And as a bonus on everything, my friends decided to get a new washer/dryer and they are giving me their old set. My new place has a washer and dryer hook up so I had planned on trying to find a set. I am so excited about not having to use coin laundry anymore - woo hoo!

Re Sharing - Royce definitely doesn't understand the idea. He will often share on his own but sharing against his will? Not going to happen without some good distraction. He also doesn't grab toys that others have, but he will stand right next to them staring, he's creepy like that The other day we were at a playgroup and he had to take turns with 2 other girls on this one toy and every.single.time I had to get him let the next person go, he would freak out. (And to be honest, I was sort of annoyed with the other girls, because they didn't even want a turn until Royce had it, and then after a few turns I just decided to take Royce somewhere else to distract him, and then they left the toy too )

#801 of 2966 Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

gillian - exciting about the move!

Sharing: I've been working with Katmai on the idea of turns, and he basically gets the concept, but his feeling is that turns should last about 30 seconds. When he takes a toy from another kid (or one tries to take his), I usually tell him to give the kid a different toy. Works well enough for younger kids, but probably wouldn't for the 3 yr old.

I just sorted through a box of hand-me down little clothes, and put some newborn stuff in the dresser with Katmai's stuff! I still have 2 months, but am starting to feel like it's time to get things ready.
#802 of 2966 Old 10-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Well, DH took Owyn to the doc yesterday and they were pretty unhelpful. They ran a strep screen on her which came back negative. And thought it was just a harmless virus that would run its course.

Then, this morning she woke with a fever of 102.4, so I called off daycare for today. I let it go this morning to see if it would come down, since I took her temp right after she woke up. It did come down a little, but she was pretty lethargic all morning. She snoozed on the couch with me for a while. Every now and then, she'd try to get up and play, but lose her energy pretty quick. She asked for breakfast, but hardly touched it, then had some diarrhea. She asked for fruit snacks (her favorite thing in the world right now ) later in the morning and ate that okay. She would touch her lunch, but took a few bites of my chicken. She refuses to drink anything... I've been offering her milk and water all day, she won't drink it.

The redness is spreading onto her chest and down her arms. So, I called the doc back and they want me to bring her in to run labs. Ugh... I hate taking her in to be poked. Since I gave her some ibuprofen, her fever has stayed down and she acts pretty normal, just a little tired. But when she falls asleep, she wakes up in almost a panic and starts crying like she is in pain. It takes a while to get her calmed down again... My poor baby.

#803 of 2966 Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 PM

Oh Mal! Poor Owyn! I sure hope this passes quickly. I hate it when our lo's are sick. Sending healing vibes your way.

Well I couldn't wait till the weekend after all and went and got a new unexpired pregnancy test. Negative. Still no period though. Probably just my long crazy cycle again. Ugh.

#804 of 2966 Old 10-13-2010, 06:09 PM

Mal: I hope Owyn is better soon! So sad when they are sick!

Sue: Sorry about the BFN! Hopefully you will get one soon!

I got some bad news yesterday. Got one of my hormone tests back and it doesn't look like I am even ovulating. The whole thing makes no sense to me bc I have all the signs of ovulation and have a sustained tempurature shift until AF comes but my progesterone levels were so low they thought maybe not. I still think I am, just not a strong one and I expected my progesterone to be low bc my luteal phase is short. I have no idea what this means. I think it means I might need clomid to get prego again. Sort of depressing but hopefully we can just get things figured out so we can take measures to correct things.

As for sharing, I lost the article, but a friend had sent an article about how kids this age can't grasp the concept of sharing. I'll look for it. Makenna is good with the taking turns concept though for the most part.

Cindy

#805 of 2966 Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 PM

Shoot Cindy. While there are some annoying side affects from clomid (hot flashes and moody for me) I did not find it terrible. I just hope that you don't have to go on it for long. It really is amazing that they can figure these things out about our body and help us conceive. I'm eternally grateful for clomid!

I'm almost certain that I'll be on it again soon too. I was on the highest dose last time. My Dr said I can skip right to that dose again if I want but run a higher risk of twins by doing so. I sort of don't want to mess around with all the low doses, do the blood work, wait some more business. I want it to happen right away! DH is a bit freaked by this! We'll see though. I'm going to keep up with the Mayan Massage work for a bit longer. I'm starting to get baby antsy though!

#806 of 2966 Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 PM

Took her back in and, sure enough, it's fifth disease. No matter how many times I said the words "fifth disease", the damn doctor could only hear me say "hand, foot, and mouth disease". I knew that's not what it was. So, two trips to the doc, one day of lost pay, all to be told what I already knew.

Oh well, at least now we know and she will be fine. They said it'll just run its course and she shouldn't feel too terribly bad for it. Just treat the symptoms and it'll be gone in a few days.

#807 of 2966 Old 10-13-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
Oh Mal! Poor Owyn! I sure hope this passes quickly. I hate it when our lo's are sick. Sending healing vibes your way.

Well I couldn't wait till the weekend after all and went and got a new unexpired pregnancy test. Negative. Still no period though. Probably just my long crazy cycle again. Ugh.
Is this what led you to clomid the first time around? I haven't had a period since August 21, so I'm afraid I'm getting back into the crazy long cycles again. I experienced this before I got pregnant with Owyn and actually got pregnant with her at... well, not what would be considered ideal time for conceiving at all. And it was pretty much by accident that it happened.

I'm really afraid of having trouble this time around. Before getting pregnant the first time, I had mentioned the long cycles to the gyn, wondering if it would make getting pregnant difficult. He more or less shrugged it off and said "Well, we can always put you on clomid if you think you need it." I never thought that was very helpful. I'm dreading that. I keep hoping I'll have a miracle happen like before.

#808 of 2966 Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
Took her back in and, sure enough, it's fifth disease. No matter how many times I said the words "fifth disease", the damn doctor could only hear me say "hand, foot, and mouth disease". I knew that's not what it was. So, two trips to the doc, one day of lost pay, all to be told what I already knew.

Oh well, at least now we know and she will be fine. They said it'll just run its course and she shouldn't feel too terribly bad for it. Just treat the symptoms and it'll be gone in a few days.
Yikes! That's lousy. I was just searching the Health forum because I think Aubs might have got the Pox. I'm secretly about it, but I'm not positive yet. She's got four red spots that have come up on her legs and face in the last 36 hours or so, and had a low fever last night. They really look like fire ant bites rather than Fifth's or Hand/Foot/Mouth (we've had that one), but there's no way she could have gotten the fire ant bites over night. I'll probably end up taking her to the doc tomorrow, so we'll see.

I hope Owyn feels better soon.

#809 of 2966 Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM

justKate ... I dunno, not sure that I'd put my money on the Pox, but I'm routing for you! It's also that time of year that fleas come inside to get warm. Any cats or dogs at your house?

Cindy ... That sucks. As someone who keenly gets the emotional and logistical complexity of fertility issues, you can have a steady supply of hugs from me.

ps. Have you made any connection between your compromised supply and this?

Mal ... Poor Owyn! Some healing vibes to her ... One great thing is that your mama gut and woman brain were bang on!

AK ... It ain't over until Auntie Flow sings!

Mckittre ... Aw ... so cute to imagine wee newborn clothes beside Katmai's big boy clothes. He's going to be a big brother!

Gillian ... Sounds like a complicated move! Be sure to take some time to breath and enjoy a small treat for yourself. Mocha with extra whipped cream perhaps?

If I missed anyone, I am sorry. Been crazy busy as usual, and haven't been able to catch up. Much love to you all!

#810 of 2966 Old 10-14-2010, 02:16 PM

Sorry to hear about Owyn. Hope she's better quickly.
Gillian I hope the move goes well with no unexpected bumps.
Sending pregnancy and fertility vibes out there to all those who need them.

My poor girl has a flaming red diaper rash, a sore tummy and blisters on her bum. I think she must have gotten some gluten since dairy usually constipates her and right now we have diarrhea. When she has a reaction it seems to make her dipes stinkier. Can't quite figure out why or how to fix it because the stinky dipes seem to compound the diaper rash. I'm using rockin green so there shouldn't be any soap buildup. If she didn't get a rash from sposies I'd be tempted to switch.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page