February 09 mamas - they're not babies anymore! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 2966 Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
Gillian: Congratulations on a little walker! And keep with the signing - it's very impressive how fast it goes when it finally "clicks". Katmai did nothing in return for a long time, then just a few, and now suddenly can sign at least a dozen words. Make sure to try and teach interesting signs too. Katmai will do "more" and "all done", but almost all of his signs are things he thinks are interesting (rather than things I think are useful) like animals and toys. He still hardly ever uses "milk". I think he doesn't want to talk to ask me for things, he wants to talk to tell me things, if that makes any sense.

Sounds like our LOs are on the same page. Aubrey doesn't say much--just mama, clearly, and baba (dada) and boo not so clearly. But she's had a signing explosion in the last week. Yesterday she sat in her high chair and signed "more" and "eat" in succession. I nearly peed my pants and squealed I was so excited. So now we have ASL: "more," "eat/food," "milk" (boobies), and "up", plus our own made-up signs for ceiling fan and all done. Progress, right?!

#62 of 2966 Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM

all this signing talk makes me wish i had taught her to sign. she signs up and she does the nurse sign, but it means "you who i am looking at hold me now". LOL. It turns out she talks more then i thought. at least she was to my friend Jen. BUT then when we were at my house she would say look in the direction of the sandbox, i'd ask "do you want to play ing the sandbox with the kids?" her eyes would say yes and then I'd say "okay let's go to the sandbox." so she isn't talking a lot b/c i do the talking for her.

I also have a climber. we take down the ladder to the girls bunk bed every morning. at the playground she climbs things she really shouldn't. I keep wantiing to take a video of it, but there is no way i won't be right behind her as she climbs it just in case.

our friday morning breakfast club is on it's 2nd week and was great last week.

LTB my mom got her tubes tied after she had my twin sister and i (which was a vaginal birth) she seems okay.

good luck on the library job mal!

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#63 of 2966 Old 03-26-2010, 12:54 PM

I didn't get an interview. I got in the game too late, they already had about 15 interviews lined up. They said I would be in the second round of interviews if they didn't find someone, but I think that's unlikely. I think I'll just hold off for my friend's job since I know she's quitting when she has the baby.

Sounds like I'm going do to keeping one kid though in the near future. I talked to my SIL about the daycare situation and since I've just lost the 2 y/o I was keeping, I told I would likely be looking for a job in the near future, so she's pulling my nephews out pretty soon. My mom thinks I should be mad at her since she didn't even wait for me to get an interview somehwere, but I figure it's her prerogative and I knew that was a risk when I told her about the job situation.

Plus, I have to say I'm a little relieved. My nephews have been a handful, at best, and with it being family I've always bit my tongue a little when it comes to talking about the boys. I don't like walking on eggshells around her, so it's probably better this way. Plus, it'll give me a breather for a little while before (hopefully) going back to work. The one year old I watch is great and she and DD get along so great. I'll have to plan some really fun things while it's just the 3 of us.

Is there some kind of 12 month sleep regression no one told me about? She was laying down and sleeping 4-6 hours in her crib for a long time, but now we do good to get 2 hours out of her. I can nurse her back to sleep and get her back in the crib, but it only lasts 45 minutes or so. And in our bed, she is SUPER squirmy, doesn't want to be touched, rarely wants to nurse. We've tried putting her back in the crib since all she does is try to get away from us, but no luck. I don't know what to do with her!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#64 of 2966 Old 03-26-2010, 02:42 PM

bummer about the job Mal. I'm sorry that it didn't work out. It will be nice for you to have less kids I"m sure. I know that where I live its hard to find child care so I do understand why your sil is looking now, especially with 2 kids. Even though it can be hard on the budget I'm sure it will be nice to have a little less chaos before you start working out of the house.

Fiona is just starting into the climbing mode. Sheesh, its hard on her Mama!

i sometimes babysit my Dr's son. He was here with me this week so i showed her the Mothering article about Mayan Massage. She took it home with her and made copies for every Dr in her clinic! She's pretty excited about it and says that it certainly can't hurt and thinks it would be a really great option for me (and others in my fertility situation). I'm just feeling really hopeful that things won't have to be so hard this next time. I can't wait to get up to Anchorage for an appointment!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#65 of 2966 Old 03-26-2010, 02:45 PM

I'm sorry, Mal.

I am having a hard time getting Eliza to sleep lately, too. It seems to be the teething, poor sweetie.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#66 of 2966 Old 03-26-2010, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Esmé went pee in her potty today!

We brought it out a few days ago and she's been checking it out and sitting on it when we use the toilet beside her, and today I sat her on it nakey bum and gave her the cue and she went pee! Wow. She knows what pee and poo are, and tells us when she's pooping, so I guess this isn't too much of a stretch, but I thought it'd be way longer before she went in the potty. We'd been applying some EC principle in a super low key way ... but I guess they work!

And ... AND ... (drumroll please) ... she FINALLY got her first tooth! At nearly 14 months! Insane! So now I'm dealing with fresh, sharp little teeth pressing on my boob. Not biting, exactly, just pressing. Does that get better?

And what do you do if/when they bite? Tips? Advice? She has her two top front teeth now. Hasn't chomped down yet, thank god.

We booked tickets to go to Costa Rica in May ... we'll be visiting my auntie and uncle down there for a couple of weeks.

Mal ... bummer about the interview. And good news that you won't need to walk on eggshells around your sis anymore. That had to be tough!

Sleep ... is actually getting better around here. I think she only asked to nurse once last night, if that. I've been letting her wake up to the point where she asks to nurse, and that doesn't happen as much. I was giving it to her every time she cried, but it seems that she has a wee cry (10 secs or so) and then goes back to sleep. Works especially well if I sleep with my back to her or keep her 'num-nums' covered.

Signing ... Esmé is not a signer at all. She's a talker though, so I don't mind. I was so excited to teach my baby to sign (being that I was a professional ASL interpreter way back when) and she has absolutely no interest in it whatsoever.

LTB ... Are you still nursing? If so, does your milk supply go up and down with your cycle? My endocrinologist put me on pills that stimulate a cycle, so I've had one so far, and not sure about the impact on my supply (which is low to begin with but seems to satisfy DD now that she's on solids.)

Climbing ... Esmé isn't much of a climber, except the stairs to the slide at the park. She's not very physical, actually, other that walking and running. And swimming. She's a little fish. She figured out how to blow bubbles the other day. And she loves leaping off the edge, so I'm trying to teach her to "wait" until she has my full attention before leaping off. She goes under all the time, which might make her a little too confident. Hmm.

Biking ... My bike is tuned up and ready to go. Just have to go get helmets for Esmé and I. We got an old wee-ride trailer off CL that's big enough for her and the dog. I have to work tomorrow, so I think our inaugural ride will be Sunday, to the swimming pool.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#67 of 2966 Old 03-27-2010, 06:19 PM

Owyn's swing set is finally going up! The playhouse portion of it is up aside from the roof (we're waiting on some screws to come in for it). We spent all morning climbing the ladder and going down the slide. She loves it!! Can't wait to spend lots of time on it this summer!

A close friend of mine recently decided she's going to be doing a homebirth. I'm super excited for her! She's due in August and found a CNM that does homebirths (a rare find in our neck of the woods). She asked me if I would be willing to videotape/photograph the labor and birth. I'm so honored! Luckily, I've witnessed 6 births aside from my own experience, so I know what to expect. If any of you ladies have photography advice, please send it my way. I think I'm going to play with my dad's film SLR camera and practice all summer. Could be the budding of a new hobby for me!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#68 of 2966 Old 03-27-2010, 11:54 PM

Ok so Makenna is *officially* a toddler now. Over the past couple days she has started freaking out to be put down while we are out. She gets all squirmy while I try and hold her and shakes her head back and forth when I try and pick her up. I do not like the phase at all! It makes going anywhere with her significantly harder. My mom is in town and we went to lunch and she was about to throw a fit if I didn't let her wander the restaurant. We had to skip dessert and my mom had to take her out while I waited for the check. Then in Blockbuster, I let her walk while we looked at movies but she kept pulling everything off the shelves. It's still super cute to see her walking around and mostly she's not into too much yet...but this is definitely unchartered territory...and I can see why everyone says it's more work!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#69 of 2966 Old 03-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
And ... AND ... (drumroll please) ... she FINALLY got her first tooth! At nearly 14 months! Insane! So now I'm dealing with fresh, sharp little teeth pressing on my boob. Not biting, exactly, just pressing. Does that get better?

And what do you do if/when they bite? Tips? Advice? She has her two top front teeth now. Hasn't chomped down yet, thank god.
That happened to me too when Royce first got teeth. It got better within a couple of weeks. Although I still often have little teethmarks after he's nursed, but it doesn't hurt (I don't even notice anything different while he's nursing). As for biting, I have always just unlatched and sayed 'no, you don't bite mama' and ended nursing time. Usually he only bites if he's in that overtired/overstimulated frenzy so I will calm him down first and then nurse.

Mal - I'm sorry the job didn't work out I'm sure something will come up that will be the right fit for you!
And, I've also been asked to attend a birth, for support, but I'm going to bring my camera and do pictures for them. I have a really good camera, so it does all the work. But I think I'm a pretty good photo taker. And I know the pictures that I love from my birth/what I wish I had so that will help make sure I capture the right moments for them.

Cindy - I've been having more 'toddler' experiences too. It's kind of exciting (and yes, a little annoying ) Luckily distractrion works perfectly for him!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#70 of 2966 Old 03-28-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
Ok so Makenna is *officially* a toddler now. Over the past couple days she has started freaking out to be put down while we are out. She gets all squirmy while I try and hold her and shakes her head back and forth when I try and pick her up. I do not like the phase at all! It makes going anywhere with her significantly harder. My mom is in town and we went to lunch and she was about to throw a fit if I didn't let her wander the restaurant. We had to skip dessert and my mom had to take her out while I waited for the check. Then in Blockbuster, I let her walk while we looked at movies but she kept pulling everything off the shelves. It's still super cute to see her walking around and mostly she's not into too much yet...but this is definitely unchartered territory...and I can see why everyone says it's more work!

Cindy
Our Ergo was always my friend, but now it is my dear, dear friend. I put Esmé in it when we go out and keep her in it, which works well. Oh, and I have to put her in it BEFORE i open the front door, otherwise she wants to go out there and climb up and down the stairs and not head for wherever we're supposed to be headed.

We went on the bus the other day and it was a longish ride so I took her out ... BAD IDEA! While she had a meltdown about not being able to walk up and down the bus, I got off nowhere near our stop, and put her back in and got on the next bus. Right, so now she only gets let down if she can frolic freely.

(And on a related note, I wish strangers would stop 'helping' me put DD in a back carry! We have a system! It works, even if it looks a little perilous!)

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#71 of 2966 Old 03-28-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
That happened to me too when Royce first got teeth. It got better within a couple of weeks. Although I still often have little teethmarks after he's nursed, but it doesn't hurt (I don't even notice anything different while he's nursing). As for biting, I have always just unlatched and sayed 'no, you don't bite mama' and ended nursing time. Usually he only bites if he's in that overtired/overstimulated frenzy so I will calm him down first and then nurse.
Thanks for the advice about calming babe down first. That's the same thing that happens when Esmé hits ... she's always over-excited/stimulated. I'll watch out for that.

#72 of 2966 Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM

Starling: I have noticed she has yet to have a meltdown about getting down while she's in the ergo - so I guess I'll be using it even more! Thanks for the tips!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#73 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 AM

junes always wants down. she wants to walk everywhere, and can walk for blocks and blocks. Today we went to busch gardens and wanted down, we didn't put her down right then and my dad's new girlfriend said she was being selfish. WTH? yeah a 14 month old being selfish. more like the adults being selfish b/c we had an agenda and she wasn't getting a say.

Mal sorry about the job

starling I pop her off and say "NO, that hurts mommy, we don't bite." and then i pop her off fo r a minute, if she wants back on after that she can, but if she bites again, i repeat it then put her down and walk away.

so we got rid of tv and subscribed to netflix, do you all have some movie recs?

oh and bikes pulled our trailer out (it's been almost 2 years since we used it. yikes! ) and the straps holding the seat up broke. so I need a new seat, and don't know when that could happen. plus i went to look at target and they didnd't have any, the employee i asked seemed like i was asking for a two headed alien.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#74 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mal: Sorry about the job. Hope you find something that works for you!

Katmai is walking more and more now (along with super fast crawling), but I think he's a little clingier than some of your babes. We've been driving around the country, so we're in new places all the time lately, and the first thing he wants to do when put down in a new spot is to climb on mama. I guess I'm lucky he's not more of a toddler! He does warm up to exploring after a little while. Unfortunately, setting up to give a talk/book reading is long enough that he's super happy to crawl everywhere by the time we get started and wants to play ball with the audience. He's the real star of the show, I think.

What do your babies do when you say a stern "no" for something? When I tell Katmai "no" and mean it, he cries! I'm not yelling, or even loud, just telling him that "no you can't eat that rock" or "no you can't bite mama's shoulder". I guess I'm glad he's listening, but I feel bad every time.

Starling: As for signing vs. talking - I think they just do whatever's easier. I notice that Katmai doesn't even try to copy my signs for the few words he can say (moon, moo, mama, dada). But for nearly every other word I teach him he finds the sign easier and will try that instead of even attempting to speak it. So I suspect it's rare that a kid will do lots of both.

Katmai and I are both having a great time with the signing, but I'm not sure how practical it really is, given that at least a third of his vocabulary is animals. (dog, cat, bear, mouse, bird, fish, whale, pig...) I spend a lot of my day saying things like "yes Katmai, that IS a dog. I see the dog running."
#75 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 AM

Junie used to cry when i told her no.

she is also clingy sometimes, it depends on her mood, although she is definitely my shy kid.

lol and the repeated sentences.

#76 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 02:26 AM

mckittre ... we try really, really hard not to use 'no' and instead put a positive spin on things. ie. "Rocks stay on the ground!" or "Danger! The stove is hot!" or "Sit down before you hurtle yourself down that big slide!" but Esmé still often cries. I think it's the tone. I also make a harsh "Ahh" sound when I want her to stop whatever she's doing, and that makes her cry too, but it's very effective. ie. "Ahh! Bring me the cigarette butt instead of putting it in your mouth, thank you!" (She is always finding the grossest things on the ground!) I think they're crying because we've interrupted their plans!

As for clingy ... Esmé is sooo clingy. She's super shy. I watch a lot of the kids her age at the park exploring and interacting with each other, and she's mostly parked on the boob, watching from her safe, warm perch.

Bummer about the bike trailer, Thursday. How about Craigslist? We got ours off a local parent listserve for $60.

#77 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 AM

Owyn certainly doesn't cry if I tell her to stop doing something. In fact, she's very determined. If I tell her to stop climbing on the dining room table, she grin at me and try to climb even faster before I can get to her to get her down. The one year old I baby sit, is the opposite though. She has a meltdown anytime I tell her no. Difference in personalities, I guess.

I wouldn't describe Owyn as shy, but she definitely has her clingy moments. Like when I try to eat or go to the bathroom. Those are the moments she needs mama right. now. Evenings at home are difficult. I'm trying to get the house cleaned up from the daycare kids and prepare the kitchen for the next day. By the time I sit down to eat dinner, she's almost ready for bed and daddy just won't do. She'll want up and want back down a million times. She'll want a bite but spit it back out. She'll try to climb up the chairs, but often falls because she's tired and clumsy. It's always better when we get out of the house in the evening. She's much happier getting out and about.

Anyone doing anything for Easter? We do the typical Easter basket thing. This year, she's getting swimming supplies (a suit, a life jacket for the lake, water shoes). DH is taking her to the local Easter egg hunt this weekend. I hope she likes it!

#78 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 AM

Starling, Eliza's little teeth feel a bit sharp but we haven't had imprints or anything. She has bit me a couple times.

Quote:
LTB ... Are you still nursing? If so, does your milk supply go up and down with your cycle? My endocrinologist put me on pills that stimulate a cycle, so I've had one so far, and not sure about the impact on my supply (which is low to begin with but seems to satisfy DD now that she's on solids.)
Hmmm, my supply didn't seem to have been affected. I will pay more attention next time. My breasts are shrinking (deflating?) though, yippee skippy. :P I am really going to miss breastfeeding when it's over. Last baby and all that, and I've been breastfeeding for over 5 and a half years now.

We love our Ergo, too! Eliza has started protesting getting in lately, but she settles down once she's in there. She'd rather walk, though. If I'm putting her in the Ergo, it's usually because I need her out of the way so I can do laundry or cook or something.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#79 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
mckittre ... we try really, really hard not to use 'no' and instead put a positive spin on things. ie. "Rocks stay on the ground!" or "Danger! The stove is hot!" or "Sit down before you hurtle yourself down that big slide!" but Esmé still often cries. I think it's the tone. I also make a harsh "Ahh" sound when I want her to stop whatever she's doing, and that makes her cry too, but it's very effective. ie. "Ahh! Bring me the cigarette butt instead of putting it in your mouth, thank you!" (She is always finding the grossest things on the ground!) I think they're crying because we've interrupted their plans!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
Owyn certainly doesn't cry if I tell her to stop doing something. In fact, she's very determined. If I tell her to stop climbing on the dining room table, she grin at me and try to climb even faster before I can get to her to get her down. The one year old I baby sit, is the opposite though. She has a meltdown anytime I tell her no. Difference in personalities, I guess.
We tell Eliza "no no no" and also just, "Eliiiiza," in a warning voice with a little look. And "stop". I guess I say "stop" more than I thought I did because now Eliza tells me, "stop!" Sounds like "'top!" Sassy girl. She's definitely assertive and opinionated, wonder where she gets that from.

[QUOTE=starling&diesel;15236338]As for clingy ... Esmé is sooo clingy. She's super shy. I watch a lot of the kids her age at the park exploring and interacting with each other, and she's mostly parked on the boob, watching from her safe, warm perch.

Aw, that is soooo cute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
Anyone doing anything for Easter? We do the typical Easter basket thing. This year, she's getting swimming supplies (a suit, a life jacket for the lake, water shoes). DH is taking her to the local Easter egg hunt this weekend. I hope she likes it!
We are doing baskets for each of the three kids. I raided the dollar section at Target for little stickers and toys and things and we'll throw a couple mini chocolate eggs. Then we're going to meet up with some other young families from church for a casual potluck breakfast and Easter egg hunt. The kids can get all dressed up in their cute spring-y outfits. Then back home to watch General Conference on TV (an LDS April tradition). We might stop by and see DH's parents later in the day.

#80 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 AM

Makenna doesn't respond to "no" in the typical way either (Mal - glad to know I'm not alone!). She usually laughs in my face and does whatever she isn't supposed to with extra gusto after we tell her no! Be it hitting the cat, hitting mom, whatever. I think I'm in for it! Thankfully I haven't had to say it too much yet but I can see the frequency will need to increase with her being more independant and mobile. I do try to rephrase things so I'm not just saying no though - like Starling does.

As for signs and talking. There are some words Makenna does both for...like cheese and milk and dog and cat. She will do both at the same time or sometimes use one or the other. She hasn't picked up too many new signs lately...not sure who's fault that is. Probably mine. But she is saying more and more each day.

Cindy

#81 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 PM

I haven't bought anything for Royce for Easter, we will be spending the weekend with my Mom and that side of the family. I wanted to put together a basket for Royce but I just can't think of anything for it (that he actually needs rather than just stuff). Maybe I'll find something this week.

As for 'No'. Royce will sometimes listen, but it depends on his mood. And it depends on how serious it is (and therefore how serious I am with my 'NO'). Sometimes he just laughs and keeps going other times he will start to cry (and sometimes it's a fake cry for just a second before he finds something else to get into ). He has recently learned to shake his head for no which is really handy! I am also trying to rephrase things so I'm not saying 'no' all the time

We have no signing or talking here! He points to things and can communicate his needs for the most part. But I wish he would start to sign!

Royce can definitely be clingy. He likes to be held and carried. At playgroup he stays by me for quite a while before he will venture off and then he will have to check back in with me all the time. But he isn't really shy, he loves to smile at people and meet new people - just all from the safety of my arms

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#82 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 01:55 PM

We're sort of using signing as a bridge to talking, I think. Aubs doesn't say much, so it's either read her mind or wait for her to have a meltdown. So "food" and "more" and "boobies" and "up" have become a way for us to teach her that she can show us what she wants instead of losing it. Talking would be much better though!

ETA: easter basket will have new spoons it. That's all that I've gotten so far.

#83 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM

yes, we've dealt with biting here though we seem to be over it for now. I very firmly said no biting, put her down and walked away. One day I was so frustrated that I cried. She hasn't bit since then. DH pointed out how sad she made me and she came up to give me hugs and kisses. So far so good since then though I'm still a bit on guard since then. It seems to come with intense teething and she has her canines coming soon so we'll see how it goes.

Fiona cries with corrections and "no" also. It's like her heart is broken when we tell her she can't play with the outlet. Poor girl. I too try to rephrase to the positive as much as possible.

She wants to walk around a lot. I tried to take her to church yesterday. She spent the entire mass trying to run up to the alter. Not much praying happening for me so I just left. We are having fun tromping around the yard and "hiking" on the trails. She starts out walking and then ends up in the ergo. We are loving that!

We are doing a pretty good mix of signing and talking. She's starting to put words together like more turkey and nu-nu please. Sometimes its a sign and a word or just words.

Her Easter basket will have a few egg shakers, a board book about spring, and a wooden cell phone.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#84 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 PM

easter baskets ... I'm hoping to find some play silks (if not, then I'll hit the thrift store for some old scarves, which she loves). And maybe I'll put my old bunny dish in there from when I was a babe. It's at my mom's. We're having dinner at our house, so that should be fun for her.

#85 of 2966 Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 PM

starling You can check this site out. http://www.dharmatrading.com/
You can buy undyed silks for really cheap and find all kinds of ways to dye them online. A friend of mine dyed some for us with Kool-Aid and they came out gorgeous. May not be able to do it by Easter, but could be a fun project in the future.

#86 of 2966 Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 AM

easter baskets- spring baskets anyways. My older girls are getting chocolate bunnies and peeps and malt eggs, Junes is just getting a small chcolate bunny.
Then i need/want to get them each a small toy. There isn't time to ship what i wanted to get them, but dh thinks we shouldn't celebrate spring b/c it's a hallmark holiday so he was dragging his feet on getting the money to me. which i am annoyed about b/c i wanted to expose Christmas and he wouldn't let me. I plan on heading to the craft store and getting the oldest a crochet book w/ needles, the 4 year old an easy sewing book and supplies, and for the baby?? I have no freaking clue.

so Junie has decided sheis big enough to climb the ladder that curves at the playground. I am going to bring a friend to video it for me. it's insane. fearless kids are exhausting and I have 3 of them.

for those of you w/ kids that laugh at no, that is my oldest, have fun w/ it. I just remind myself that these personality traits while hard to parent will serve them well as adults. Therefor you don't want to crush the behavior just help them learn to work w/ it and w/ other people

#87 of 2966 Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post
for those of you w/ kids that laugh at no, that is my oldest, have fun w/ it. I just remind myself that these personality traits while hard to parent will serve them well as adults. Therefor you don't want to crush the behavior just help them learn to work w/ it and w/ other people
This is great and so true! Thanks!

So Starling... can you share a 101 of what you are doing with EC/potty learning. I just don't know where to begin but would love to get a potty, introduce it, etc...

#88 of 2966 Old 03-30-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
This is great and so true! Thanks!

So Starling... can you share a 101 of what you are doing with EC/potty learning. I just don't know where to begin but would love to get a potty, introduce it, etc...
We're super low key about it ... before we took the potty out, we would let her know when she was peeing, or pooping whenever we 'caught' her at it (whenever she was nakey bum for pee, or when she was obviously pooping) and gave her words for it. (We also do a 'cue' for pee ... kind of a "Sssss" sound.)
After a while, she started to tell us when she was doing either. Poop, fairly consistently, pee only when she was nakey bum.
So then we took out the potty and placed it in front of the loo and would model for her. That might not suit everyone, but it works for us.
The first day, she put the potty on her head, stuck her foot in it, tucked her socks in there, all of which I ignored. When she sat on it, I made a big deal of it.
Then at diaper changes, I'd ask if she wanted to go potty. She'd sit on it, but not for long, so we introduced books.
Now she sits for a few minutes while we read a story book, and I invite her to pee or poo, and sometimes she does and sometimes she doesn't.
About fifty-fifty right now.
I'd like to put her in training pants when we're home, but I don't know where to get little ones. I don't want to let her go nakey bum all the time being that we do have some carpet.
We're in NO hurry whatsoever, but it's nice to get started. I figure we'll be in diapers for a looooong while still.

For those of you who CD ... we're going to Costa Rica for two weeks in May. Have any of you travelled with CD? We'll be staying at my Auntie and Uncles and they have laundry, but we will be doing a few overnights away while we're there. Not sure if we should do CD while we're away or go 'sposie.

#89 of 2966 Old 03-30-2010, 03:28 PM

Starling: 2 weeks in costa rica? Awesome! I have only ever done sposies when traveling. Mostly it's a space issue. You have to haul so much stuff for a baby as it is, I couldn't imagine bringing my whole stash. Plus it ends up being nice to have a break from the extra laundry. You may consider just bringing some diapers for a night since those stay on the longest. That is what my SIL does.

Cindy

#90 of 2966 Old 03-30-2010, 03:59 PM

Thanks for that info Starling! I'm thinking of getting al little potty now. Trying to decide between the big and little versions of the baby bjorn. I'm guessing if you searched around on hyena cart you could find some small trainers. Also if you post on diaper swappers you could probably get a lot of suggestions for WAHM trainers.

As for traveling with diapers. I've done it. While we were camping I used sposies and hated them but have used our cloth for trips with handy laundry. It can be a bit bulky in the carryon for sure though. Now that we are out of the runny poop phase the sposies might not be so bad but when we used them before they didn't hold a single poop. I would hate to deal with that on a plane. For me its worth it to travel with cloth.

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page