February 09 mamas - they're not babies anymore! - Page 99 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#2941 of 2966 Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cindy that's such good news!!!!

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#2942 of 2966 Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Hi all ... I dropped the MDC ball there for a while, sorry. 

Wonderful news, Cindy!  I'm so thrilled that your little babe looks good and happy in there. 

Kate, I did see that thread ... thanks for the link to remind me to look at it every now and again.  It's true, labouring for so long and then having  c-section does stick with you in a unique way.  I'd get rid of the Barbie. 

Mal, congrats on the school!

Erin ... Has K forgotten his deluge of shots already?  I hope so.

Vax ... We do the traditional schedule here, with much inner conflict on my behalf.  I think it's one of the biggest going concerns as a parent. 

Ever ... We're waiting for swim lesson sign-up too!  Fun!  E swims all the time, but recently has not wanted to go under water anymore, for some unknown reason (nothing traumatic happened).  I kind of wonder if that's going to hold her back with lessons?

Courtney ... How's your wee C-girl?  Rolling and shoving and pushing?

Nilla ... I hope your family all feels better soon! 

Sue ... When is the allergy appointment?  Hope it goes as well as it can! 

I'll try to keep up from here.  Our computer is not aging gracefully, and I end up reading on my phone, but I don't like to post from it.

I turned 37 last week, with a lovely GF-pizza party with family and friends.  H started rolling.  We're all sick with cold #47, or so it feels. 

We've been trucking around to Science World, the aquarium, homelearners playgroups, parks, errands, etc.  Feels like I'm back in the groove after my H babymoon!  That means it's probably time to start writing again.  And going to the gym.  Got to get on that!  I don't fit into any of my spring or summer clothes!  It's rather depressing. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#2943 of 2966 Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 AM

Good to hear from you Starling, sounds like things are going well! 

Cindy, Great, great news!! And I hope all goes well with M.

Owyn's birthday is this Thursday. Leap Day is getting in the way of my reminiscing! Today is the day my water broke with her, but I have this pesky non-day in between today and her birthday. We should just celebrate her for two days, right? She isn't feeling well today. Last night she complained of her ear hurting. DH was with her while I was at book club with Greta, so he gave her some Tylenol and she went to bed fine, slept all night with no complaint. This morning, she woke up crabby and very quickly started running a fever. Normally, I'd wait it out for today and see if it just runs its course, but DH's vacation time is gone and I have to work tomorrow,  plus her birthday is this week so I really don't want her to be sick on her birthday. So, I went ahead and made her a doc appt for this afternoon. Poor girl has been laying around on the couch all day. She's sleeping a lot and asking for Wonder Pets when she's awake. She won't eat, so I've hesitated to give her anymore medicine. Her fever is hovering around 101.5, so as long as it doesn't get too high I'm okay with not giving her anything... Hopefully she's better by morning, we can't afford anymore time off! DH gets more vacation time next month, so we just have to make it until then.

If she's feeling better on her birthday, I had planned to make a trip into the city to get some last minute things for her party and let her pick a treat for her day. I was going to take her into a girly store and let her pick out some new hair stuff. She loooooves hair stuff-- bows, headbands, frilly ponytail holders, all of it. She is still asking for earrings, so yesterday we had a talk about that. I explained to her that it would be like getting a shot and they would put needles in her ears to make holes for the earrings. I told her it would hurt for a second and we looked at a youtube video. She still insisted she wanted to do it! I thought for sure that would steer her away. So, the store I was going to take her to does ear piercings. I'll see what she thinks about it once we're there and if she's still up for we'll do it. If not, we'll just do my original plan with the hair stuff and maybe get some stick on earrings.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#2944 of 2966 Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Cindy - Yay!  I'm so glad everything's going well.  That is a lot of shots!  So much work already for that tiny peanut of a babe.  :)

Mal - hope Owyn's feeling better for her birthday.  How do you think your parents would be to live with?  We have dh's mom as a next-door-neighbor, and my mom sometimes comes up and stays in her "grandma yurt" for months at a time.  And it's super awesome.  They're very easy-going people, and sharing childcare is wonderful.  We wouldn't have been able to afford to get all set up here w/o a loan if we hadn't bought in on my mother-in-law's land (she has 3 acres).  But I'm so glad it worked out this way, and now we never want to move.

Starling - Happy birthday!  Sounds like you guys have been busy.  Science world and the aquarium sound like fun.  I'm a little jealous - I bet Katmai would love to see something like that. 

Sometimes I wonder about what effect (if any) all our very different lives will have on the kids.  Spending hours in the woods  vs. going to an aquarium, meeting new people all the time vs. rarely running across anyone who doesn't already know who you are, etc...  I don't think any of those ways is bad - I just wonder how it will shape the people they eventually grow up to be.

School - I'm torn about the whole idea of school, really.  Conceptually, I hate the standardization, busywork, mind-numbing aspects that I remember from school.  And I have no interest in giving up our expeditions or making them fit the school calendar.  But with 50 kids (total K-12), the school here will notice (funding wise and playmate wise) if my 2 kids go or not, and the smallness makes it much more personalized.  And it's a pillar of the community I'd like to support.  K is loving headstart right now, which he can do for 2 years after this, then it would be straight into a K-5 classroom.  I think we'll just play it by ear.

Speaking of school, I'm looking at the wind and snow outside and debating whether I should pick K up by bike today (much faster and more convenient, but biking uphill in fresh snow with 2 kids in the trailer can be nearly impossible if the plow doesn't get there before me), or walk in and pull a sled (which I can do in any conditions, but it's slower, and K might complain about the wind).  It's great exercise either way, but sometimes being car-free in the winter can be a bit inconvenient!

#2945 of 2966 Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM

Erin: Ahhh I feel so lazy after reading your post! :-) I need to get off my butt more lately. LOL.

Starling: Happy birthday! A pizza party sounds so fun. Happy to see you back.

Mal: I'm sorry Owyn is sick. I hope she's better in time for her birthday! This was the 1st yr M wasn't sick on her birthday. That is funny about the extra day in between. LOL. I'm surprised O still wants her ears pierced after your description - she must really want it done!

I forgot to mention that my crazy chicken is laying again. We're getting 4 eggs/day some days (we have 4 hens). I'm glad she is laying again - her eggs are super jumbo - way bigger than the rest. But now we have more eggs than we know what to do with! Time to start trading them for things from people's gardens.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#2946 of 2966 Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 AM

Hi guys! We are back from Anchorage. Fiona did awesome at the allergy appointment. She did cry a bit but it was over fast. Then we just had to distract her to keep her from trying to scratch her back. Turns out she is allergic to garlic and rye! Garlic is in so many things! So that was really interesting and not something I would have ever thought to take out of her diet on our own. Rye she hasn't had in years since going gluten free. Because of her symptoms and the fact that we have seen improvement in taking wheat out (and other gluten) and she's had reactions when I've eaten it while she was breastfeeding a lot he wants us to do a test for Celiac's as well. The plan is to see how she does garlic free for a few weeks and then introduce wheat back in. She needs to have it as part of her diet for a few weeks for us to get an accurate result from the Celiac test. We'll do a blood draw for that. Overall I feel good about having figured some things out but I'm still nervous about the Celiac thing. Honestly, I've suspected Celiac's for a very long time though.

Our friends were there staying at the same place as us which was awesome. They had there new baby Friday night and we arrived Sunday. This was her second VBAC- an hour and a half labor. The Dr didn't make it to the room and her DH caught the baby. Pretty cool! They are doing great. There older boys are 2.5 and 5 and F loved playing with them. She called them "my boys." We went to a carnival- nothing like riding carney rides int he snow! She loved the ferris wheel! She'd never done rides before. We also went to a bouncy house with them and it was a hit.

Unfortunely, she woke up with a fever this morning and threw up all over the couch and me and herself. Yuck. Poor baby. She's dozing on the couch now. Hoping this passes quickly and that M doesn't get it.

I've read to catch up on everyone. Hope you are all well! Cindy, so glad the 2nd U/S went well and you are almost done with shots!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#2947 of 2966 Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 AM

Sue - That's good you have some answers!  Garlic is such an odd allergy, kind of a pain too..  Maybe it's something she will grow out of as she gets older?  I hope she is feeling better!

Cindy - I'm glad everything is progressing as it should!  Yay!!  It will be nice to be done those shots I'm sure!

Erin - Wow!  You are one busy mama!  I also understand your concerns about school.  I have them too.  R will have to go to regular old public school but I will be one of those annoying moms complaining about too much homework to the teachers :P  I just feel that school work should be done at school and after school is time for family and other important life lessons :)  

Mal - I hope Owyn is feeling better so she can have an awesome day tomorrow :) 

Starling - Happy Belated Birthday!!!  Sounds like you're getting out and doing lots of fun stuff with the little ones!  I wish we had an aquarium somewhere, that would be fun!

AFM - 2 midterms tomorrow and then I'm done.  Can't wait!  And tonight I'm taking R and my cousin's 3 year old to see BUSYTOWN!  It's at our theatre here tonight.  Front row tickets!  I hope the two of them enjoy it and don't want to leave half way through..  It's just me taking the 2 of them so I'm a bit anxious about how it will go.  But it should be fun :)

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#2948 of 2966 Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 AM

Sue-- So glad you got some answers! Garlic will be an interesting one, it really is in a ton of things! Sounds like you guys made a fun trip out of it too. Hope F is feeling better very soon. When Owyn got sick, I was so worried about Greta getting it. She was *knock on wood* the only one in the house that stayed healthy though!

Owyn seems to be feeling better today. Last night was rough, but mostly because she slept so much during the day. She just wasn't that tired. I found her sleeping on her little Dora couch in her room this morning. I have no idea when that happened! DH has no more paid time off until next month and I have none, so her baby sitter was okay with taking her today. Lucky my kids are the only ones she has. I hated leaving her though and was prepared to leave work early if she was having a bad day. She hasn't had a fever anymore though and her sitter says she's been in good spirits all day. So excited she's feeling better so we can have a good day for her birthday! We have party shopping to do and when we get home I have to get treats ready to celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday with my preschoolers. We're making Lorax cupcakes and reading "Are You My Mother" then cutting out magazine pictures of mothers and their babies to make a collage.

Someone remind me that infant sleep does get better... This 4 month sleep regression is kicking my butt. I ordered a woombie for Greta yesterday and I'm really hoping it helps. Swaddling is useless anymore!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#2949 of 2966 Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 PM

Cindy, jumpers.gif  Yay for a healthy babe!  Are you anxious about stopping the progesterone?  I love to think that this will become a regular old pregnancy for you shortly!  And good news about your hen, too!  As for M, do you think they would try occupational therapy first?  Just thinking it might help, in addition to the stretches, in case its just a sort of habit for her.  So good that you have a pedi that you like.

Sue, glad the trip went well.  Who would have thought of garlic?!  I really hope that's all it is.  And I hope the two weeks back on gluten aren't too awful for either of you.  Love the VBAC story, too.  I want one exactly like that!

Mal, that would be weird to have an extra day thrown in there!  I hope Owyn has a wonderful birthday, and that all of the yuckiness disappears tonight.  I agree about the fever, she's probably fine without medicine.  Any time Aubs has a fever, DH wants to give her Tylenol right away.  If she's below 101ish I'd rather let her body do its own thing....but he doesn't like to see anyone "suffer."  So we usually compromise by waiting until later in the evening, so that the Tylenol will help her sleep better. 

Ever and Erin, I've got a bit of school anxiety too.  It seems like everyone in my life lately home schools, but I really don't think I'm up to it alone.  I don't know what we're going to do, because I will definitely have to go back to work for at least a few more years, and Aubs LOVES "school" right now, so I would hate to take her out of that setting entirely.  For now, I'm happy enough with the daycare she's in (convenience, price, care, flexibility) but I think we'll make a change if/when she goes full time when I go back to work.  Sometimes I'm not sure that there's really a "right" decision--we just do our best to choose among the options we have.

Re. vaxes, Aubs is definitely behind.  And not even in an orderly scheduled way anymore. I haven't gotten her any since I've been pg because I'm afraid of shedding and its a good excuse not to deal with it.  She had a couple DTap, an IPV, and one MMR, but it's been nearly a year since she's had anything.  I worried a lot that it would aggravate some of her weird behaviors at the time, but now I've just been lazy.  Erin, don't feel bad.  K won't remember it. 

Starling, glad you had a good birthday.  Sounds like you're having lots of adventures with the littles!  I wish we were more adventurous. We definitely don't get out enough.

As for me, everything is mostly the same. I have an OB appt tomorrow (my first with an OB this pregnancy) to get official "approval" for my VBAC.  I'm somewhere around 34/35 weeks I think...I can't keep track because my "real" EDD and my EDD according to the health care providers are a few days apart.  Starting to nest hard and hoping that the energy will stick with me for the next few weeks.  This weekend we're going up near my parents for my cousin's kid's first birthday.  They live near my parents, so i should get a little free time.  The next weekend is free, the weekend after that is another trip up north for a friend's baby shower, and then I'm going to sit on my rear and wait for this baby to arrive.  Courtney, Nilla, Erin, Sue, Mal, Starling--were your second pregnancies about the same length as your first?  I don't want an early baby, but I can't help but think that 39 weeks instead of 40 would be fine!

#2950 of 2966 Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 PM

Kate: My pregnancies were very different from each other in general. But no, I went 4 days overdue with Owyn and Greta came 4 days before my due date. I was totally not expecting her to come before 40 weeks hit.

Well, I spoke too soon. Right after my last message, Owyn's fever spiked back up and she passed out for the night at 7:15, unheard of! Her sleep last night was really crappy so I know she was really tired today. I'm hoping passing out early and getting a good, long night of sleep will have her back to herself in the morning. When I changed her into her PJs (after falling asleep), I did manage to get some Tylenol in her just to help her get some good sleep. Here's hoping she's well by morning, I hate seeing her feel so crappy!

#2951 of 2966 Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Mal ... Has she got all her molars?  E has one coming in right now, and it's given her a fever and made an ordinary cold a Very Big Deal.  She keeps coughing until she barfs, poor thing.  I hope O feels better for her birthday! 

Kate ... E came two weeks early, and H came a week early (although thinking back on it, I don't think he was ready and when the MW stripped my membranes, I think that lead to the c-section, but that's a whole 'nother story).  I hope you don't end up waaaaay pregnant!  I think 38 sounds good. 

Sue ... GARLIC!  Ack, no!  A life without GARLIC?  What a sad, sad thing.  But I'm glad that the testing went well and that you all had a good time with friends!  Good luck with re-introducing gluten! 

Erin, Ever and Kate ... I think public schools need more mama bears like yourselves!  That way, perhaps there will be some change for all the kids, and not just your children, who are so blessed to have such powerful advocates at home. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#2952 of 2966 Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Kate: I was 10 days over with my first and 7 days over with my second. Both were cesareans but the second was a (quickly) planned cesarean due to baby distress. I went in and out of false labour for weeks. I think I would have gone earlier if she wasn't distressed. 

Mal My fingers are crossed Owyn wakes up with no fever and feels fabulous for her birthday. I hope the woombie helps you get some sleep. 

Ever I hope busytown was fun. 

Erin your life sounds amazing.

Kate - Everything's crossed for you to have a lovely healing VBAC. 

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#2953 of 2966 Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Kate - I'll be the odd one out here.  K came 4 days late, then L came 15 days late!  I was expecting that the second one would be earlier too, and those last 11 days were awful.  I hope you're luckier, but I think it's better to let go of expectations.  My second labor was also longer, and in many ways harder (though pushing was faster), and the baby was over 2.5 pounds heavier.

Mal - hope Owyn feels better soon

Sue - I hope garlic is all it is.  I'd hate to give up garlic, though!  (though K hates it, so I use less than I used to)

As for school, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who worries about it.  But these kids are still so young.  I should probably just be happy he loves Headstart and not try to get too far ahead of myself.

#2954 of 2966 Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 AM

You're definitely not the only one, Erin. I have major concerns about putting Owyn into the public school system. There are good public schools out there but I know my local one is not one of them. I see what goes on over there and it's clear there are very few teachers who actually care about the students. It's a sad thing really. I know why it is... a small school system that can't afford to pay good teachers what they deserve so they end up leaving to teach in better school districts. I also think the way the public school system is set up it caters to kids who are competitive by nature. If you have a kid that's interested in learning but doesn't have a competitive drive to get the best grades, they'll likely get lost in the system. I've been watching my nephew this year, a 4h grader. A smart kid with no drive and he's just falling through the cracks. 

I mean, it is possible for kids to thrive in that system. It's just hard to know if your kid is one of them until they're there. As of now, I intend to enroll Owyn in public school but if I see her struggling I will do something about it. Still trying to figure out how to afford keeping her in Montessori! As of now, she could go there through middle school. I sure hope they expand even more...

#2955 of 2966 Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 AM

Mal: Happy birthday Owyn!! I hope she wakes up feeling better.

Sue: I'm glad you have some answers and a plan. Good luck with the changes! Have you noticed any sensitivities in M?

Kate: It's odd but a ton of my friends from M's playgroup have had 2nd babies over the last yr. And every single one of them went WAY overdue. Like at least a week late. And most of them were NOT that late with their 1st. I had always thought 2nd babies came earlier. M was 2 weeks early so I will have no idea what to expect this time around. 

RE: public schools. The schools are pretty decent where we are. That was important when we bought our house. They are definitely great through elementary and middle. The highschool has mixxed test scores, but that is bc it is the biggest in the state (4,000 kids!!!) and has a very diverse population. We pay insanely high property taxes in our community and a lot of that goes to funding any state/county budget shortfalls for our schools. So the class sizes are kept smaller and the schools offer tons of fantastic programs. So you can be wildly successful at the high school or  get in tons of trouble. We may move before highschool. Or I'll likely be working then so we could afford private school. 

I took M to a kids drop in art lab yesterday. There was an older girl there (7) who told me how she is home schooled. She went on and on about how it's the best school ever and she loves it. But then she told me she can't read yet and that she should probably be able to by her age - like she felt bad about it. And I felt bad for her too. I know some parents who homeschool/unschool don't push the reading - but it sounded like she really wanted to be able to - and I thought that was the cue to work on it? 

Anyway, I still toss around the homeschool idea. But mostly I think I might like to go back to work at least part time when the kids are both school age. For my sanity and so that we can afford to retire. We live in a very high cost area of the country and we are scraping by on 1 income - but not putting anything away. I used to make more than DH - not sure that would be the case after being out of the work force for so long. 

Can I just say - M nearly drove me insane yesterday! I was beyond tired and she just would not listen to anything I asked her to do/not do. UGH! I so hope today is a better day!

Oh and one last thing - M has slept in her own bed, in her own room for the last few nights. She doesn't ask to sleep in our bed. She does wake up like 3x/night and one of us goes in there and lays with her for a bit, I ask her if she wants to come into my bed and she says she wants to stay in her bed like a grown up! LOL. My back has felt so much better, having space to move around. It's wierd though bc we didn't push it or even really try to get her to. Not sure why she started sleeping in there all the sudden? 

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#2956 of 2966 Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 AM

Kate: F was born the day before her due date and M was born 3 days before.

School: We are facing some major budget cuts for our schools here. They are either going to close one of the elementary schools which will crowd the others even more or cut specialty programs like art, math specialists, reading specialists. It does not look good and we don't plan to send the girls here. We still talk about homeschooling a lot but sometimes I do wonder if F and I would benefit from some time away from each other. She said she wants to go to school so she can pack a lunch! She wants me to come with her... :) If we move somewhere with better schools we will think about it. I do think that F would thrive in a Montessori setting and there are a lot of things about Waldorf that really appeal to me. Some parts of both bug me though.

Mal: Happy Birthday to Owyn! Sure hope she is feeling better today. I hate sick babies! Fiona had a pretty high fever yesterday for most of the day. (103.5) It would come down for a bit with tylenol and then creep back up a couple of hours later. She still feels sick this morning though her fever is quite a bit lower.

Starling: Sounds like you guys are up to lots of fun! Happy belated birthday to you! I'm really ready for Spring and getting back to 2 cars so that getting out of the house to kid events are less of a juggle. Snowing hard right now so it won't be any time soon!

Cindy: Awesome about M sleeping in her own bed! Maybe someday... F won't have anything to do with DH at bedtime or if she wakes in the night though so it would be all me getting up to deal with wake ups. Its so much easier with her in our room. I do look forward to the day we have our room back though!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#2957 of 2966 Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Happy Birthday to Owyn!!!

Mal - I hope she's feeling better today, poor girl!  I agree with your thoughts on public schools.  I really don't like all the grading and rewarding.  

AK - That's too bad your schools are having all those cuts.  It's not fair for the kids :(  Do you still have your plan to move south?

Cindy - Wow, that's a nice change for you!  I wonder if this will be permanent??  (For me I would be so sad if R wanted to sleep in his own bed.. But that's because I'd be left alone in a giant king-size.. And I like the snuggles :P) 

Oh, and R often drives me insane.. He NEVER listens to me :/

Kate - Ooooh it's going to be so SOON!  I hope your appt went well today :D  

AFM - Busytown was lots of fun!  The boys had a great time!  At one point they called for volunteers to go on stage and R wanted to go up so badly but they didn't see us putting our hands up (we were front and centre but they were looking over our heads into the rest of the audience).  R was really upset about that.  But other than that minor set back we had a great time!

AND, I had my last two midterms today so I'm DONE!  Now I just have 3 assignments to finish, and then exams in April.  It's all flying by!

#2958 of 2966 Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 AM

Well, Owyn woke up feeling much better for her birthday! A little sleepier than normal and she ended up napping which is rare, but no more fever and was in good spirits all day! So, we made our shopping trip and got everything for her party, then I took her out to lunch for pizza. We made it to the ear piercing place and on the way there she decided she didn't want earrings. So, I told her we'd just go pick out some new bows for her hair and she was happy with that. But once we got there, she changed her mind again and decided she did want earrings. She was climbing in the chair waiting for her earrings before I could even discuss it with her. And she was so excited. She sat up there so big and let the girl get her ears ready just giddy with excitement. Once she did it though, she did cry and I felt so bad for her! I could tell it really surprised her how much it hurt. But once it was over, she got a sucker and got to pick out some hair clips and a new necklace and she seemed to get over it pretty quickly. Now she tells me how pretty her earrings are, but she doesn't want to discuss getting them pierced! Now, to get ready for her party tomorrow!!

#2959 of 2966 Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM

Mal: Awww, Owyn was so brave! I'm sure she had no concept of how much it would hurt. But she handled it like a champ! I want pics of her with earrings!! Sounds like a lovely day! :-)

Everr: Yay for midterms being done! This really is flying by! Remind me - is this a 2 or 3 yr program? I'm glad enjoyed the show. I wonder if M would be overwhelmed in one. 

Well I definitely jinxed myself on the bed. Last night she wanted to sleep with us again. She said she only sleeps in her bed on Mondays. LOL! 

I think we may take M to see the Lorax movie this weekend. She has been seeing the huge billboards of the Lorax and getting excited. So I got the book from the library and we've read it a million time. It's actually a great story for talking about why we don't waste paper, etc. So we've had some good chats from it. And thankfully there is this great little independant theater I love that will be playing it. It's smaller and they have couches and tables with normal chairs for half the theater. They also serve food and drinks like pizza, nachos, beer, wine, etc. So we can go to a matinee and sit on a couch together. It's pretty short too - only an hour and 20 minutes. I think she's very excited to go to a movie in a theater.

Cindy

#2960 of 2966 Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Cindy: Mondays are a good start! LOL! Your theater sounds awesome. I wonder if that movie will come here- I'll have to check. It would be fun to take her I think.

Mal: I want pictures too! What a brave girl! I fainted when I got my ears pierced when I was around 8 or 9! When do you guys hope to move?

Courtney and Kate: Can't believe those babies will be here so soon! Kate, do you have a name yet? I am so glad that we picked Maeve but I still think about the name Hazel and think we'll need another little girl so I can use that name!

Fiona is better and we are detoxing from all the TV she watched while lying on the couch for the last 2 days.

Moving: Yes! It's still the plan. DH kept saying he wanted to have some long term projects done here before leaving. His boss is sort of an ass and things have gotten worse so now he really wants to find a job right away!!!! He also doesn't want to spend another winter here. Our new goal is fall and I'm thrilled. We've rally been thinking pacific northwest but I'm trying to be open to other places too. We can probably get more land if we do that but I'm also trying to be realistic with my self. I've always lived near the ocean. We had 2 years in Idaho and Utah and it drove me crazy. I want to be open to new ideas and the adventure of it all though. I'm feeling desperate to get out of here and don't want that to cloud my judgement about where we would be truly happy. Any suggestions on awesome places to live ladies?

I just realized last night we have an entire bed of garlic planted in the garden waiting for the snow to melt to come up. Poor Fiona!

#2961 of 2966 Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 PM

I'll have to take a pic. I have one on my phone but can't figure out how to load it on here from my phone. I'll take one with my camera when I get home later today. She does look really cute with them in! She woke up crying this morning and when I got to her room I asked her what was wrong. She said "My flowers fell out!" Her earrings are flowers and she really thought they fell out and were on the floor. She kept peeking over the edge of the bed trying to find them. I had to take her hands and make her feel her ears to realize they were still in. Weird. I think it was a dream because she wasn't totally awake during all this.

Sue-- How exciting to be talking about moving so soon! I'd love to put our house on the market this spring, but realistically we will have a better chance of selling it for what we want if we wait and get these projects done. That's our goal for this summer. I'm hoping to put it on the market this fall before it gets too cold. DH says he'd like one more Christmas in our house, so we'll see. For sure by the end of the year, it's going up for sale. Then, it's just a matter of waiting until it sells. Hopefully that won't take too long, but you never know in this market. Our house is a small bungalow style which seems to be selling pretty well in our area. They're cheap and ours is well taken care of. DH and I just worked out a schedule of him getting regular time in the garage to get these things done. Hopefully that will make these projects go by faster. Although, this week didn't really work out with Owyn getting sick and her birthday being yesterday and her party this weekend... Starting next week!

I'd love to take Owyn to see The Lorax. If it were playing in town I might this weekend. Not sure if it is. I read The Lorax to my preschoolers today and brought in cupcakes that looked like Truffala trees. They had a lot of fun celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday today!

#2962 of 2966 Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post

Oh and one last thing - M has slept in her own bed, in her own room for the last few nights. She doesn't ask to sleep in our bed. She does wake up like 3x/night and one of us goes in there and lays with her for a bit, I ask her if she wants to come into my bed and she says she wants to stay in her bed like a grown up! LOL. My back has felt so much better, having space to move around. It's wierd though bc we didn't push it or even really try to get her to. Not sure why she started sleeping in there all the sudden?

That's exciting, even if she doesn't stay 100% of the time!  We told Aubs that once she was 3 she would sleep in her big girl bed (in our room) and if she wakes up she can say "mommy I need cuddles" and I'd go to her.  So after 3 weeks of trying to cram my big self into her toddler bed, we decided it would be better if she stayed in her bed until the sun comes up, and then she wakes mommy.  She feels very grown up waiting for the sun to come up.  Can't wait for the time to change so that I get an extra hour of darkness every morning!

Still no name for baby to be.  I think I'm going to make a list of 5 or 6 and let DH pick.  Forgot the library might have name books, so I'm going to check that out next week too.  My appt with the OB went surprisingly well--told me that they were cool with intermittent fetal monitoring in labor rather than continuous, which is better even than I expected.  Also commented that I haven't gained any weight for 4 weeks, but I think that's wrong--according to my scale it's been a pretty stead increase of ~1lb./week like they suggest.  So maybe their scales are just off.  Whatever, I'm eating, which is what matters.

Nilla, I somehow forgot you had a c-section.  Not that i would wish it on anyone, but it is good to be reminded that I wasn't the only one, if that makes sense.

The OB did mention that they weren't comfortable inducing a VBAC, but would do it.  She said I need to decide how overdue I would be comfortable going before doing "something" as these things need to be "scheduled" in the hospital.  I'm going to avoid thinking about that until 40 weeks, I think.    I can see doing a mild induction at 41+ if my cervix is favorable, but maybe planning a c-section for 42 weeks if its completely unfavorable.... I can always cancel, of course.  But I really am not going to think about that until I hit 40!

#2963 of 2966 Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 AM

Kate-- So glad to hear your plans for a VBAC are going well! 

I think Owyn is the last in the group to turn 3, right? Does this really mean we move onto the childhood years? That's just nuts! Although, I look at my big 3 year old and she is turning into a real kid right before my eyes!

Her bowling party is today and I should be making my grocery list to get stuff for her cakes and get to baking, but I'm procrastinating. I'm trying a new recipe and beginning to think I should have practiced it before today. Oh well, if it doesn't turn out I always have cupcakes to fall back on! 

#2964 of 2966 Old 03-04-2012, 07:02 AM

February '09 Mamas ~ Childhood Chat :)  

Our new thread is at the link below!  Woohoo!!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1346927/february-09-mamas-childhood-chat#post_16900014

#2965 of 2966 Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 AM

Catching up is overwhelming, I'm about 30 posts behind, but I am going to try.

Starling- Coraline is doing well, I had my mother blessing yesterday and they henna'd my belly and she just loved all the attention, she was rolling and kicking and just in general making the henna process a bit herder for those decorating my belly. LOL

418177_10150717858957518_671497517_11298771_1029028213_n.jpg

419220_10150718022307518_671497517_11299381_172244437_n.jpg

as for old computers, do they ever die gracefully?   I simply love seeing th pics you post of E and H. And Happy Birthday to you, sounds like a nice day.

Erin- i read my husband the debate of bike over walking in the snow and he once again reiterated why he likes Florida so much. As for school, I struggle with this question often.  Florida has some of the worst public schools in the nation. There are a few decent options you can possibly get into via lottery but none of them are even close to as good as the private school we have them in. It does make it tough because we trade work for their schooling and Hubs often doesn't make it home for dinner with us because of that. Every once in a while we tour a public school and we are reminded why it is worth it. The kids are so far beyond what they are doing in public school and we don't think they would properly accomadate them, their private school has different teachers for each class, their is a lot of outside time and they teach them to learn not to take some test. It's like homeschooling in a very small school environment.  Your public school sounds pretty nice though and if we lived somehwere else I might be more willing to consider public school.

Cindy- so happy for a nice healthy babe and for laying chickens!! Your movie theater sounds awesome.  I have hear dpeopel say the Lorax is good but I have hated the other dr.suess books made into full length movies, although I almost want to go anyway because of the repubs saying it's a brainwashing movie put out by liberals. Haha, alas we can not afford to go to the movies.

Sue _ I saw the garlic thing on facebook, totally a strange allergy. as for moving my dream is the pacific northwest, too bad that my husband will probably stay in florida forever,

Everr- yeah for midterms finished!!

Mal sorry she's feeling crappy..and yes sleeps get better!! Oh and happy birthday to owyn, very cool she did so well with the ear piercing.

Kate- My kids vax schedules are all crazy too.

as for baby timing-

Jewel-40 w 2 days

Josie-41 w 3 days

Junie-40 w 1 day

(okay now to respond to the next page of stuff.)

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#2966 of 2966 Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Courtney: So close!! Your tummy turned out absolutely beautiful! :-) How fun! 

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page