Taking walks with a toddler - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm feeling very motivated by the beautiful weather of late to be more active. DH and I are much more sedentary than we ought to be, and this is the summer when that will change.

My question is about including our two year old in our activity. For example how long (or how far) is it reasonable to expect DD to walk if we took a family walk? We don't have a stroller anymore. We passed it on recently because we so rarely used it once DD could walk. A jogging stroller would be great, but I don't see us buying one anytime soon.

Any tips for being more active as a family would be very much appreciated! Thanks, all!

Librarian, Blogger, Book Reviewer, Mama
#2 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 PM

We walk slowly and with a lot of flexibility in where we are headed at any given moment Lots of pit-stops for things like pine cones, rushing water, a leaf, someone walking their dog, etc. It is pretty hard to get our DD to go the way we want her to go so if I am really trying to burn some calories she goes in the stroller or Mei Tai. I tried walking the dogs with her and she is way to poky and can't go very far so that didn't work so well.

Adrienne~SAHM to DS1~9, DS2~7, and DD1~4/08, partner in crime to DH since 98~
#3 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a jogging stroller that I love. I'll usually take DD on a long walk in that, and then afterward if she wants to walk some we'll go once around the block.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 PM

DS (almost two) loves to play Hide and Seek around the trees in one of our local parks. I got a heck of a workout yesterday, running from tree to tree, then waiting for him to find me and chase me to the next one.

Walking in a straight line is about as interesting to him as walking on a treadmill would be to me.

Have a fun summer!

Married to Tony 6/07. Mommy to Jude 4/08 and Gemma 4/11.
#5 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 PM

My DS who just turned 2 the end of Jan can walk for a long time and loves to walk. A few weeks ago we walked just about 2 kms (it took us a good 1.5 hours with lots of stops and exploring)

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#6 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Our walks are pretty much follow-the-baby. LOL we just let him go where he wants for as long as he wants!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#7 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 PM

Keep an eye out at kid's consignment stores. I knew we'd probably never cough up the money for a rubber tired stroller either but there was one of these parked outside my favorite used kids' store last fall:
http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Limite.../dp/B001V7QUAU
They only wanted $80 for it, and I had enough credit from taking clothes in to them, that I only had to pay an extra eight bucks. I never packed something into my car so fast, lol!
It's a great stroller, and DS loves the steering wheel on it. Plus it has a couple of speakers towards the top, and a compartment on top where you can plug in an mp3 player and listen to music while you walk. We used to go out some in a regular stroller but the plastic wheels made it so unpleasant on the rough broken sidewalks that we have to navigate. With this thing I can go over all kinds of bumps and holes, through puddles and slush, you name it! I used to be too sedentary too, and now as long as it's over 40 degrees, we get out for at least an hour a day, and I can really get my heart rate up.
If something happened to this one, we would most definitely find a way to purchase a new one outright. Maybe you can ask for money towards an all terrain stroller for Mother's Day, Father's Day, or birthdays?

As far as just walking on foot, we do that too a fair bit, but it is definitely not to give ME exercise. It's great for DS though. He's not much of a stop and look kind of guy, he likes to trot along to get to wherever we're going. So I don't expect him to walk more than maybe 3 blocks, then a rest, then 3 back, tops.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#8 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I take ds for walks I bring then ergo. Then when he gets tired (or I get bored of stopping at every. single. puddle.) I throw him on my back to finish the distance.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#9 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 PM

DS, the pup, and I were out for about an hour the other day. I think we made it about a quarter of a block and back.

Going around in circles and up and down small hills is DS's most favorite thing to do in the world. The poor dog was like, "What the heck?!?!?!?!?"

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#10 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 12:28 PM

What about a wagon? He could walk, then, when tired, hop in the wagon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page