Does anyone else do this? Generic names to licensed toys? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 03-18-2010, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't do television, or any branded characters from TV or movies or the like, which is not uncommon where I live (San Francisco). But what I find amusing and a little baffling is the extent to which people make this a Sacred Rule and are then sniffy about how "oh I thought you didn't do CHARACTERS" when my daughter knows character names from BOOKS. I loathe Disney's Pooh, but we read the original books and love Pooh bear from there. I didn't know there WAS a Maisy television show, my daughter knows Maisy from reading Maisy books. I just find it funny that, at least where I live, it seems to have become an orthodoxy. Someone above said that Cinderella was a brand, and that really surprised me. Upon reflection, I understand what the poster meant with regard to Disney branded Cinderella merchandise, but since we never run into that stuff in my life, I was taken aback for a second -- in my life, Cinderella is a fairy tale, one we read in a book!
#32 of 34 Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 PM

It's been my experience that when a kid is really "into" a particular character and has all the accessories, it's because either the parents or grandparents have been supporting it. They think things like, "let's have a Disney Princess birthday party, dd LOVES Disney Princesses." They make a big deal about it and buy them the stuff, so naturally the kid makes a big deal about it too. Also, sometimes a grandparent will visit twice a year, and during that visit the kid may say they like Elmo. As a result, the grandparent proceeds to send the kid Elmo stuff for the next year, when in reality, it was the kid just liking Elmo that one day. Sure, kids like characters, but for the most part, I think it's the parents who are the driving force. Most really young kids I see would be completely content to play with a normal teddy bear just as much as a Winnie the Pooh.

Also, I hate Dora the Explorer. Bugs me to death. Just thought I'd mention it.
#33 of 34 Old 03-19-2010, 08:20 PM

DS has a Thomas Train (well, I think it's one of the other characters; I'm really not sure) and ADORES it. It has wheels, a face, and magnets. What more could a little boy want ? We're also a TV-free household; he got it from his cousin who is not TV-free and is a HUGE HUGE HUGE Thomas fan.

He knows its name is Thomas because his cousin told him. He has no clue what it means. It might as well be named Frederick Train or Juanita Train or Field General McPoopypants Train. I'm not overly worried about him calling it by its licensed name because... it's just a name to him. Without the TV show context, it doesn't bother me. I guess we could have called it his "blue choo-choo train," but we just never bothered. The actual names don't really bother me because, at least as of right now, they're just random assemblages of syllables to DS. Perhaps once he's older and there's more peer influence, I'll feel differently, but as of right now, a name is just a name, licensed or not.

I'm pretty middle-of-the-road on most everything, though, so take my "meh" answer with a grain of salt .

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#34 of 34 Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 PM

One thing that bugs me is going to borders and seeing brands becoming -categories- for shelving childrens' books. Here's the shape and color books, here's the bedtime books, then it's the Nickeldean shelf, the Disney shelf etc...

Nana bought DD a Dora blanket but I don't think she had any idea who it was. She just liked that it said "Hola" and such. Then she got a couple of those electronic books where the kid ends up pushing buttons instead of so much as opening the cover, because the sound effects are more intriguing than reading.

I have conflicted feelings about gifts from family that I would never have bought for my toddler (things that light up, branding, PVC bath toys)... So far I just shelve the things that I really can't stand, but I'm wondering how to put my foot down because it wastes effort and money for everyone. Maybe take them all to Grandma's house as a "treat?" But doesn't that sort of fetishize the stuff even more?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page