Need ideas for things to put in an easter basket and in easter eggs besides chocolate! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to do an Easter basket and an Easter egg hunt (by hunt, I mean we will put some eggs out in the yard, plain sight her to "find") for DD, who is 16 months old...but I don't want to load her up with chocolate bunnies and peeps and the like. Does anyone have any ideas for fun things to put in Easter baskets--they could be food, but other things would be great too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 05:21 PM

Last year we did mostly stickers and raisins.
#3 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 PM

Inside eggs we're doing lots of stickers, fun socks, toy cars, crackers (Like Annie's bunnies), and some jelly beans. That makes up the bulk of what DS is getting but I'm going to get him a stuffed bunny as well. In her basket, My DD is getting a new pair of shoes, a pair of pajamas, a stuffed bunny, and a toy for the car. I also got her a little container of organic puffs in lieu of candy.

The natural candy store has a lot of really good stuff, I love their selection of dairy free treats.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#4 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 06:03 PM

We bought Spot's First Easter last year. It's still a fave this year so we did well.
#5 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 08:08 PM

at that age DS loved "Little People" so we got some of those for inside eggs. Other ideas would be those little packets of fruit snacks (except she might be too young for those), goldfish, or just leave them empty. The younger they are the less they care about what's "inside" the egg and more about the game of finding eggs and putting them in the basket.

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#6 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
you could put some homemade play dough into the plastic eggs. I just gave myself a good idea! Also, I'm sprouting wheatgrass in the Easter basket, instead of using Easter grass from the store. I hope it lives
#7 of 11 Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM

Oh! I wish I'd thought of the wheat grass idea! Too late now. At least they make paper grass now instead of only plastic. We usually do a book, a little doll, hard boiled eggs, bandaids (which all my kids were fascinated with when they were toddlers. I had to not let it bother me that all they wanted to do was unwrap them and stick them on stuff. Just look at it as cheap entertainment). This year my preteen is getting nail polish. Can your DD do fruit leather, yet? We have to have jelly beans because it is our tradition to leave a trail of jelly bean "bunny poops" leading the way to the baskets. Of course, the funny thing is explaining to the kids why we have Easter baskets when we are not religious and they don't really know what Easter is
#8 of 11 Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 AM

We are putting stickers and bunny shaped graham crackers (Annie's), and coins for the piggy banks.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#9 of 11 Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 AM

For the egg hunt, I was thinking of putting small pine cones, sand, a piece of yarn, a balloon to blow up, playdough, stickers, socks, tiny robert munsch book, raisins, bouncy ball etc inside the eggs.

My dd just turned 2 and I don't like giving her sugar either. She loves playing with bits and pieces of random things and would love the surprise of finding a pine cone or some sand or a piece of yarn just as much as anything else. She's not expecting sweets so she won't be insulted. And at that age, it's believable that a bunny might put those kinds of things inside an egg. It's the surprise and tactile nature of the game that will please this 2 year old!

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#10 of 11 Old 03-30-2010, 10:10 AM

We've done clementines, bubbles, colouring books, bucket and shovel, egg shaped chalk - I don't like to overload him on chocolate either, and it's just starting to be Spring here.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#11 of 11 Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 AM

DS is getting a felt basket with a froggie (his favorite) on it, a package of those sponge capsules that grow into farm animals, a package of freeze dried fruit, chocolate chip Z-bars and Annie's grahams for his sweet treats. I would like to pick up a new book, maybe some stickers and a stuffed rabbit.

He saw a stuffed rabbit he really wanted to Borders the other day. I waited to get it because I was going back the next day to get his birthday present there (with a coupon!) without him. I was so sad to see they were gone. I'm not a big fan of stuffed animals, but he really, really like it and it was only $5 with purchase. If I can find something as cute and reasonable I may get it. We'll see.

I like the band-aids. That is a nice different alternative to stickers. I do have a few childrens band-aids in the cupboard, maybe I'll stick a couple in there!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page