Happy April Fool's Sept '07! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2010, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No pranks on me yet today. I did yell at a lady in the grocery store parking lot because she wouldn't stop beeping at me while I was putting the kids in the car and she wanted my parking spot. That was kind of amusing. I even managed not to swear at her, how very un-NY of me

Hurray that April is finally here!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 06:23 PM

subbing in...

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Back to the chicken thing. Alice came home from school saying they learned you can dye a chick by dying its shell before it hatches. Do you think they will do this tomorrow with the eggs they are incubating?

Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 PM

Happy April everyone!

Yann has finally gotten over a nasty stomach bug - vomiting for a couple of days and diarrhea for a week. Thankfully he would run to the toilet whenever he needed to throw up or poop so there wasn't a lot of extra laundry and clean up. (Gotta look at the bright side). He's still not eating much, but at least he was able to BF the whole time. He lost so much weight though and it makes me sad. When my oldest ds was 16 months he had rotavirus and went from an already small 19lbs to just under 16lbs. He has been super-skinny ever since. I hope Yann can put the weight back on.

I just got over another cold. I never used to get sick but ever since we have been here in England I have been getting sick a lot. Maybe it's all the rain and damp? Stress?

None of my kids have had chicken pox, even though they have definitely been exposed. I'm hoping that somehow they have immunity or had a sub-clinical case. I really would like them to have it and get it over with though. The CP vaccine is not given routinely over here, so I thought they would have more chances of catching it but maybe our social circle is too limited.

Less than 2 weeks and I will be in sunny Texas!!!! Yeehaw!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 PM

Forgot it was April 1 today... no pranks to speak of. I preferred last years MDC April Fool's. Straight up thought I got myself my first DDDDC.

Worried about C. relating to I. I see photos of my friends with children of similar ages and their bigger kids are way into the little one. I know no one posts pictures of their children while crying or hitting, but still, I find little comfort in comparing myself or my children

I. does this thing where he brings his mouth off my breast to smile the sweetest, most contented, beautiful smile, then his eyes flutter, he coos, and he tucks back into his meal.

mJB - Thank you! I posted on FB but I don't know if you saw it I've been thinking about the quote since I read it and I hope to practice that soon

Laughed out loud at your chicken comment, Jeanine. I am so happy you found peace in the answer.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 AM

Happy April Fool's Day.
My day started out with a 6:10 am phone call from the security company saying there was motion in the hallway at the office and should they call the authorities. Then we got up, got dressed etc, went to the office and everything was fine. Then we went to a loooong meeting, picked up ds from jujitsu, and got home about 6:45 pm. It's been a looong day and it's past beer o'clock. I'm bummed I'm mostly missing April Fool's here. I managed to ban myself twice last year. Hope you all had a lovely day!

Mama to three  
Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Alicia - I think sibling relationships have stages. At first Liam didn't pay attention to Laine at all (an age thing, I think), then he was really interested in her and liked interacting with her (I think she became a novelty), and now he hits, pushes, etc. but they have their nice moments every once in a while. I think he does it because he feels threated by the fact that she's acting more like a kid and less like a baby, and he does it to get my attention. In any case, I think it's normal and ever-changing as children are.

Jeanine - Did they ever figure out what or who was causing it at the office?

I'm currently cleaning and re-organizing the house, also known as redeployment nesting. I got blackout curtains for the kids rooms to see if that will help with sleep, can't really tell if it makes a difference yet. I got a white noise machine for Liam as well, and used it for the first time tonight. Normally he's in and out of bed 50 times before staying there, but he actually went to bed on the first try tonight! We'll see if it makes a difference in the morning when Laine wakes up at 5:30 to nurse and he normally hears her.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 04-02-2010, 12:42 AM

The doors were never opened. When we got there, the windows were all fine, closed and locked. No clue. The alarm company detected motion in the hallway. I wonder if a spider could have crawled over the motion detector?

Mama to three  
Old 04-02-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *jeanine* View Post
The doors were never opened. When we got there, the windows were all fine, closed and locked. No clue. The alarm company detected motion in the hallway. I wonder if a spider could have crawled over the motion detector?
Weird, ghosts maybe?

Speaking of spiders, I killed a black widow in the kitchen today. She was pretty huge. I didn't see the orange on her back until I killed her but I don't take chances with any spiders around here. I wish there was a way to get them to stay away.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:23 AM

I'm a day late and a dollar short, but I figured out what postcards to send. "Time to make your dental appointment!" That would have been so freakin' funny if I mailed them to you and had them arrive yesterday.
But since I'm too late for April's Fool's postcards I'll have to figure out something else.

Mama to three  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:21 AM

black widow???!!!!! shudder

I had this great idea that I was going to paint a postcard for each of you. I got out the paints, got started, made a big mess - and I think I am going to have to rethink that idea. Maybe next time.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:02 PM

Oh my! Black widow; makes me glad that I live in NY.

I've been busy planning our first vegetable garden (anyone with tips is welcomed to share). Aili helped me to start some seeds the other day. We had such a fun and busy weekend, playing in the backyard, going on an Easter egg hunt, and we went to great grandma's house yesterday. She slept like a rock last night.

mommajb, could you send me a green and purple chick? I'm sure that it would be adorable. Kids' logic is funny. When my youngest sister was born, the children in my other sister's kindergarten class thought that the baby would look weird, like be spotted or striped or something b/c we were biracial kids . . . you know how a fawn has spots that disappear as he/she gets older, maybe that's what they were thinking.

All right, gotta work. Happy spring everyone!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 AM

this week, my baby is the size of an average rutabaga. WHAT? why the heck do the pregnancy email people keep comparing the size of my unborn child to vegetables and fruits? last week, in case you missed it, it was an ear of corn.

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanbh View Post
this week, my baby is the size of an average rutabaga. WHAT? why the heck do the pregnancy email people keep comparing the size of my unborn child to vegetables and fruits? last week, in case you missed it, it was an ear of corn.
I remember seeing that when I was pregnant with Laine. Is that in weight or length or what?

The white noise machine is proving very effective. That, or the later bedtime due to the sun going down later. We're not having 50 trips up and down the stairs because he doesn't want to go to sleep at least, more like one or two. I have to take him back to the orthopedic clinic tomorrow because part of his cast around his thumb pulled away and unraveled. Not enough to influence healing but I'm worried he'll start pulling on it so it's best just to get it fixed now.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 AM

Katie, I am so excited for you!

leanbh, I sure hope that babe you are carrying is smarter than your average vegetable.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 PM

This has basically been an awful week. DH left town for business. Within hours, the boys had nearly caused permanent injury to Judah. (Accidental, but would have been absolutely horrible, nonetheless.) Thankfully, Judah escaped with but a bloody scratch, and is fine now. The week hasn't improved all that much, though.

I'm feeling awful most of the time (yay for being pg). I know it means baby is doing well. It also means I'm getting little to no time for ME, to rest, recuperate, de-stress, etc. The boys have been pretty combative and argumentative the whole week. And did I mention I'm stressed? Über stressed about everything, and I feel so nauseous I can't take the supplements that typically help the anxiety.

DH is coming home tonight, but last night was a jerk about what a rough week it's been. I'm hoping he comes to his senses before he gets home in the middle of the night.

Tomorrow we're supposed to go work on a contract with a new home builder that should get us into a new house that would be awesome, and we'd be in in 6 months - so at 8 months pg. I'm okay with the timing, assuming everything (including selling this house) works out. But I also feel clueless as to the whole process - both selling and building. And I haven't gotten our taxes together to take to the CPA. I need to know how much we get back so we can apply that to the house, too. (And since I made some major mistakes last year, I'm also worried that we won't get as much back...)

Oh, and we came home yesterday to a notice about trash up by our garage (detached, away from the street)... The neighbor's dog keeps tearing up our trash and making a mess. Sunday they literally knocked over the whole trash can and strewed stuff everywhere. So I had the boys work on that - which took forEVER because they didn't actually do the work when I asked them to.

Anyway.... I am hoping for NO STRESS next week. I'm going to Philly for the Midwifery Today conference - just the two pre-conference days, actually, so I won't see the big names, but I should have a great time. Long days, but I'll sleep ALONE, so that should be good!

For now, I have to go get the house cleaned up somewhat... Someone's coming to bring boxes, and the realtor wants to drop off paperwork... And I need to try choking down more of my "happy pills."

/vent

I hope everyone else is doing VERY well!

Where's the "stressball" smilie?!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Heather. I hope the conference helps you to de-stress a bit and your weekend goes better.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Katie. I can't imagine! I don't suppose you can really say/do much when things go bad in a hierarchy like the army, either, can you? I hope he is home VERY soon and gets some clarity on what to do in the future.

I talked for a bit to my realtor, and she's confident we won't have a problem with getting the house listed and sold, even though I've had nay-sayers say it could be a problem, and I've had plenty of questions myself. Like, what we if we have to invest so much in this house to get it ready to sell that we don't have enough to pay closing costs on the new house? But, she doesn't seem concerned at all. Granted, she hasn't seen the house yet, but *most* of what needs to be done is cosmetic. Most. Not all.

Anyway, just took a boatload of fish oil, a mood supplement, and enjoying a vitamin D dot. Judah went to sleep while we waited for a friend to bring a BOATLOAD of boxes over. I'm totally laughing, too, 'cause they're all from Williams-Sonoma, so it's Cuisinart, All-Clad, Nespresso, other brands I've never even heard of. Everyone knows my DH is a coffee snob, and has high taste in pretty much everything including cooking gadgets. So when we move, it will be very funny to see their reactions to carrying all of these high-end kitchen boxes!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:45 PM

katie, i totally understand. my dad was dealt some despicable hands in his 22 years in the air force. it can be really rough on the family. you are in our thoughts to have your family reunited safely soon.

despite the rain on top of last week's floods (we're in rhode island, btw), we're doing ok. getting anywhere takes longer because there are some roads that are still closed. but roisin is enjoying a day of lounging and watching princess and the frog.

so, after a week of horrible sleep for all three of us, we need to start getting ro to sleep in her bed all night. any pointers? right now, she'll go to sleep in her bed and stay there for two to three hours. after that, she wants into our bed, and with my growing belly and trev's bad back and the new arrival in a few months... we can't have her in there all night. she kicks HARD. i need help! i don't even know where to start with this.

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
Old 04-09-2010, 05:52 PM

Lindsay, have you read the No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers? It might have some tips. With my boys, though, it was a similar progression. Once they started going to sleep in their own bed, they'd come to our bed after a few hours. As they got older, that stretched out further, and so there are nights like last night where the only one who was in my bed was Judah (who fell asleep nursing on the couch and came in at 4:30am).

One idea that might or might not work at this age would be some sort of reward for staying in her bed until whatever point you desire. Some parents will say, until the sun is up, or until the clock starts with a "3" or "5" or whatever. Probably starting incrementally is better than expecting her to stay there ALL night, but you can work up to having her there longer by the time baby arrives. Then, perhaps she gets a sticker, or ... whatever works in your family. We also use the Accountable Kids system, which would work for that (they have a particular thing for those extra accomplishments) - but I don't use it with Judah.

Judah actually went to sleep with Iain for the first time the other night! They were all exhausted, should have been asleep hours before, but weren't cooperating. Eventually, Judah got his pacifier, a string (he likes to finger yarn, especially a certain kind), and sauntered off to the boys' room. They were both tired enough that they actually slept instead of playing! He stayed in there a good while, too. I also hope that by the time this baby comes, he'll be ready to stay in there more!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. It's just incredibly frustrating right now to not have any answers and no real guidance in this. I just feel really depressed about it, it's hard to even feel excited anymore. There's nothing I can do and nobody cares what I think anyway, I'm pretty much left to suck it and and deal.

Heather - Hopefully the house is pretty straight forward, do you know people who have also built houses in the area who can tell you about the process?

Lindsay - I'm kind of a meany, but if Liam gets out of bed I just lead him back to his bed and kiss him good night and leave. And then repeat as necessary. He very rarely ever gets out of bed at night, if he wakes up he doesn't usually get out of bed and just needs a drink or he's hot or something. He'll still get in bed with me in the morning and ask me to cuddle him which I don't mind.

My middle brother called me this afternoon asking me for advice in regards to something going on with my parents. If you all remember, I haven't actually spoken to my mom in two years. She and my dad ended up remarrying the day before Laine was born. From reports that my oldest brother and SIL have given me, they're right back in the cycle of abuse and he's isolated her from everyone. Not a surprise to me at all. My mom has enabled my middle brother to be really irresponsible his whole life, and apparently she finally put her foot down about something and my brother was insulted. He called me looking for support in what he did, but I pretty much gave it to him straight and told him he needed to come up with a plan and be responsible about his priorities. He seemed receptive about it, who knows. He hasn't called me in months until now, so apparently he thinks I'm good for advice at least.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM

I'm tired of being the freakiest person in the room. *sigh*

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 04-12-2010, 05:04 PM

what's up, Alicia?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM

Come to my house and you won't be

Mama to three  
Old 04-13-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *jeanine* View Post
Come to my house and you won't be
I was thinking along these lines. You are not freaky, just misunderstood by the uninformed.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 AM

Check out MrsB's FB!

Mama to three  
Old 04-13-2010, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

I just saw, congratulations mama!

Alicia. You are not a freak by any means, I wish we were all IRL friends. It would make life so much easier.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:33 AM

Congrats, MrsB!!

Katie, so very glad things are *literally* moving along!

I am packing up, and throwing up... Ugh. Heading to Philly for the Midwifery Today conference. So excited to be going, especially now that our house will be officially on the market. Whew. I can relax now! When I get home, we have TONS of work to do to actually get it show-ready, but that sounds possible... whereas getting some of the things we thought we'd have to do done before I leave is NOT.

So I will be away for the rest of the week. I'll try to keep up via phone but have decided not to go to the trouble to take a computer with me. Can't wait to hear all about Anderson and about Andrew's home-coming!!

OH! And I thought this was neat... Went to WF tonight to stock up for the family and get snacks to take with me. Saw a very pg lady, and ran into her for a second time. Asked her when she's due (she's 33wks), and told her how great she looked. She was seriously floored by that! I told her I'm pg, again, and never get the beautiful round belly she has... she really looked great! So we ended up talking about birth places, it's her first, she's not got a great OB - they missed major infections! - and all that kind of stuff. We stopped chatting only because the store was closing. She's new to the area, and I'm excited to have, perhaps, made a new friend. Also, perhaps, to have encouraged her to keep seeking out options since she's not happy with her current provider. That, on top of two friends having HBACs in the last 10 days (one was scheduling a c/s, one was going for an OB VBAC but got bait-and-switched), is just pretty cool.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 AM

YAY!!! COngratulations Jessica!

Heather - glad things are moving along with your house.

Katie - I hope Andrew is home soon.

Off to Texas tomorrow! Have to go pick up the passports in London today.

User Tag List