When to ditch the night time diaper? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 28 months old and is doing really well on the potty. She is still wearing a diaper at night, but hasn't peed in it for a few weeks. Two seems too young to be expected to not pee at night, but perhaps she really is ready to not wear a diaper at night. I feel bad about wasting a diaper each night, but I don't want my DD to feel bad if she does have a night time accident.

Should I just remove the diaper and see how it goes?

Carrie, Scientist and Mom to two DDs (11/13/07) and (8/31/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 12:43 PM

Yes, definitely. The worst that could happen is that she'll wet and you'll have to change some sheets. My son stopped wetting at night (for the most part, we had a few accidents through the years) at around 28 months.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I guess I was just worried about pushing her too much, but I guess if she's ready, I'll go with it!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:29 PM

I noticed a week into potty training with Micah that his diapers were either dry or only had a single morning pee in it. I stopped putting him in one and he had maybe 2 accidents in the next 6 months! (and that was mostly because we dawdled in bed...nursing, talking, waking up, etc.)

He was 25 months and hasn't worn a diaper since, which has been almost a year.

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
Old 04-05-2010, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd say if she's consistently dry then she's ready. An occassional wet bed is not a big deal imo.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 AM

I debate this too, except my DS1 is 37 months now and dry in the morning... But as I have DS2 still in diapers and we use cloth anyhow at this point I'm leaving him in one...
Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 PM

DD has been trained for almost a year now, but we still put her in a pull-op at night because she has maybe three accidents a month and I'm just too exhausted (new babe) to deal with the mess at night right now. Our plan is to stop using them once she can make it through a full package without an accident, which is about a month.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 PM

Don't worry about pushing her...her body (via her dry diaper) is letting you know that it's ready! Just make sure she pees right before bed (and doesn't drink too much before bed)! And then as soon as she wakes...go to the potty!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
Old 04-06-2010, 02:13 AM

Not at all! Just make sure you have a water proof pad for her (or your bed) and an extra just in case. If she fusses/ wakes at night, it may be her sign she has to go potty but doesn't want to wake to go. Put on undies before bed and praise her for being a big girl and having dry underwear. Do the same in the morning. If she has an accident, just remind her to tell you when she has to go potty, change the sheets/ clothes and move on. Just be positive and patient.

Some nights DD will sleep through the night and other times wake around 2am or 4am to go potty. She's 2.5
Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 PM

I think it would be fine to leave her without a diaper at night. Like a PP said she is letting you know she is ready via her dry diaper. You can always start putting her back in a diaper if it seems like it is stressing her out to be without one. FWIW my DD has not had a wet diaper at night (except during extreme teething moments) since she was about a year old. So I don't think it has as much to do with the age of the child, but more so if that particular child is ready.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM

I am almost there with DS too, who just turned three last weekend. He is dry about 6 mornings out of 7, and I have told him that if we can get through a month without a wet pull-up, he can try wearing underwear to bed.

Honestly, I re-use the pull-ups a few nights in a row, as they are dry, and he only has them on for about 8-10 hours without running around getting dirty/sweaty. If they start to look ragged, or get anything on them at all, I toss them. (And FTR, I do change his undies daily.)

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 PM

Sounds like she's ready!

I still get my 3.5 yo up once a night to pee. She practically sleeps right through it, but I'm not convinced she can hold it all night if I don't take her.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support on ditching the diaper! We went one night without a diaper. She woke up dry, no problem. However, the next night she requested a diaper (and has since). She is still waking up dry, though. Maybe she needs the security of a diaper? Maybe when she doesn't see the diapers in the house, she'll be okay not using them.

Thanks again!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned

Maybe try some thick training pants with no cover?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 PM

sounds like her body is ready, even if she's not sure she is.

i'd continue asking her each night. and... if the diaper is dry in the morning, you can TOTALLY reuse it!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 PM

Did she pick out her own underwear? When mine went diaperless, I took him to the store, and made a big deal of letting him pick out whatever he wanted. That gave him something to look forward to putting on instead of the diaper. Is she afraid she'll wet? I would just tell her accidents do happen and it's no big deal. I'm sure she'll let you know when she's ready, though, sounds like she's already there just maybe scared to take that final step.

eta: I agree with you about out of sight, out of mind, as far as diapers go. Get those suckers gone!

User Tag List