16 Month Old and Outdoor Music Festival - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister asked me to go to a music festival with her this summer. DH said I could go and he would stay with our DS. It is a two day festival and I would be able to come home overnight. The more we talked we wondered about taking DS with us and all going. DH offered to drive a different car so if DS was not happy he could leave. The festival says all ages and that you can bring blankets and strollers. So we would use the Ergo but have the stroller if he needed to lay down or be in the shade. I don't know what I think, DS would be 16 months old. Any advice?

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We went to the folk fest last year with our DD when she was about seven months old and will go again this year as it's an annual tradition for our family, and all the kids go every year, no matter their age.
DD will be about 18 months. We'll probably borrow a wagon to get around with as the grounds are huge. And she'll likely be in the ergo a lot on my back. We hang out in the shade during the day and drink lots of water. We sit further back during the mainstage evening concert as it's loud. The babes tend to fall asleep even with the loud music. I'm hoping she'll curl up in the wagon, as her cousins have done when they were littles.
You'll have a great time! Enjoy!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 AM

We're taking DD to a weekend long music outdoor music festival next month. She'll be 15 months old. It's about 5 hours from where we live, so we'll be camping out. I think it's great for kids to go to something like that, especially since it's outdoors. You can be in more control of how loud it is for your little one that way, just depends on how close to the action you want to be.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#4 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 10:54 AM

I've never done a music festival with DS, but as I was reading it I thought to myself. Never! Unfortunately, DS is on. the. go. and there is no way I would want to keep up with him in a crowd of people like that. It's just too dangerous and I would be exhausted from trying to keep up with him. He would also be throwing fits if he couldn't go where he wants to go and that would be exhausting too.

Sounds like fun...but not for me and a toddler.
#5 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 PM

We've brought our kids to many festivals since birth. It's always gone really well and I think it's good for the kids to get that exposure. In fact, we're going to one this week - an outdoor stage w/ music, food, etc..

We do tend to "hang back" and stay in the less crowded areas and might leave a little bit earlier than we would if we were grown ups only. Also, most festivals (not sure about the one you're going to...) often have activities for children, too. Facepainters, kids booths, etc.

I say go for it!
#6 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 PM

Too funny that you ask this now, I was thinking about asking for a "must brings" list for this, since I'm taking 15 mo old dd next week to a 3-day outdoor music festival... in the desert!

It's Coachella, which is a mostly rock festival I've been to before, but never with a baby. Good news is there's lots of planned shade, plus it's usually not hotter than 80s in the day and they also have "Misting tents" and air conditioned tents for just these reasons (people needing relief from the heat). And I've seen lots of babes there before, and babes at other music fests who looked like they were doing fine.

Actually my main concern isn't about dd because I think she'll be fine - it's about ME and CARRYING HER back and forth across a big field all day for 3 days. When I went on my own my feet were killing me by day 3, so I can only imagine how they'll feel when I've got her in the ergo for a lot of it! Like someone else said, we'll probably just hang back for most of the sets and sit down, unlike my "youthful days" (3 years ago) when I'd be up front rocking out.

Thankfully I'm going with a friend who is excited to basically be co-childcare for the whole thing, so between her, the stroller, the ergo, and hopefully lots of shade and water... I think we'll make it. DH would love to go but I can take the time off, he can't.

***IMPORTANT***

One thing I think is REALLY important though is ear protection for your toddler. My friend turned me on to Peltor, I think they make something called "ear muffs" but they're like mini versions of those ear protectors the guys at the airport wear when they're directing planes. I took dd to a show when she was 4 months and it was much louder than I expected, but those things work wonders - she slept through the whole show and really didn't seem to hear much at all. We got hot pink ones and they work well (Peltor also makes them in blue).

Festivals can be loud, especially big ones, so make sure your babe is protected because baby/child ear drums are more sensitive and easier to damage than adults. Just cuz you can tolerate it doesn't mean it's not hurting your lo.

Go, have fun, enjoy, and report back!
#7 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 02:54 PM

We are doing many festivals with DS this summer, he is 15 months now. We'll be camping next month for one, going to an all day fest at the end of this month, and a 3 day fest in July. We went to all of them last summer with him as an infant as well. I'll put him in the ergo or in the stroller, and we will hang back behind the crowd as much as possible. Many festivals have kid stuff to do, too.

I see you are in Ft. Collins, what festival are you going to? We used to go to RockyGrass before we moved to NC. We intend to go with the boys next year if everything works out.
#8 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone! We may take him or my mom has talked about coming into town to watch him. We are thinking of going to Mile High Music Festival.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#9 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 PM

I've been to a ton of outdoor music festivals/events with my son. He's 26mo now and has been going to this stuff all his life. We just make sure we have an escape plan (sounds like you do) and pack light but smart for the day. We never brought a stroller because we figured it'd be hard to maneuver in the crowds and my son never liked them anyway. The Beco was fine.

Oh, and we got these to protect his ears--he's worn them since babyhood and they still fit:

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-90554-J...0593393&sr=1-2

Good luck! I think it's wonderful to expose little ones to music from when they are small. We have a lot of fun when we go as a family.

Have you seen the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yet?
#10 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 PM

we've done a bunch of ourdoor shows & fests with dd1 & have more planned this spring/summer too. babywearing def makes things easier.

we usually find spots with other families too & it helps the loudness issue since families tend to stay toward the back of the crowds.

fav toys to bring:
bubbles
music instruments
a ball or 2
balloons
spray bottle filled w/ water

and snacks...lots of snacks & water!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#11 of 12 Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 AM

Thanks for that list, that's VERY helpful! I hadn't even thought of things like bubbles, and the website said no spraybottles with water but your list made me realize i can bring it in empty and just beg them to be reasonable, having the little one and all... I think spray bottles are key in that much sun.

Very helpful, thanks!
#12 of 12 Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 PM

cool! glad the ideas helped!

one thing i realized in bringing kids to shows is that no one ever seems to care what we are bringing in with us at all. normally, the no cooler, outside food/bev rule is pretty strictly enforced (i have been doing shows & fests for years without kids) but with kids, they let us bring in a small, soft cooler bag with treats, sippy cups etc everywhere we go. I have never had a problem with the spray bottle-I think we did bring it empty now that you mention it.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page