Non-messy, portable snacks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS lately has been too distractable to nurse well in public so I was thinking of bringing some snacks along on our outings (Bonus: I can share in them, as I'm always starving!!) However, I can't seem to think of anything that won't cause a mess except dry cereal. He is 14 mos & only has 6 teeth & has a tendency to chew food & spit out the parts he can't chew (like the skin on fruit, the shells on peas, etc.)... What snacks do you usually bring with you?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 PM

String cheese or other cheese? Not sure if that would be too hard for him to chew.

Cereal bars, energy balls (I have a recipe around here somewhere...they have oatmeal and a little peanut butter in them, and are great for nursing moms, too), or something similar. For fruit (or even some veggies)...have you tried one of those mesh feeders? When DS was around that age, I would load one with fresh fruit (pears, watermelon) and let him suck and munch away. Maybe not always the least messy option, though, depending on how juicy the fruit!

Mama to DS (5)

#3 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 12:37 PM

grapes
string cheese
pretzels
rice cakes
dry cereal
cold cooked veggies (corn, carrot slices, green peas)
#4 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 02:14 PM

pretzels (ds's long standing favorite), cheese crackers (Annie's Cheddar Bunnies or something similar), grapes, an apple, a cup of water, a cheese stick, maybe animal crackers of some sort.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#5 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 02:17 PM

DD eats dried fruit - apples, dates and apricot leather.
#6 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Around that time our portable snacks were goldfish, mum-mums or rice like cracker, happy baby veggie puffs, bananas, pears, cherrios, freeze dried yogurt, freeze dried fruit.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#7 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas!!! I also noticed today he prefers to have bite-size pieces (and makes less mess that way) when I've usually been giving him "sticks" of food. I thought it would've been easier to hold but he seems to like the little pieces better. So we'll try some cut-up fruits & veggies etc.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 PM

I put pieces of toast, french toast, pancakes, grilled cheese, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, or peas in one of those trap food holders. If I don't want any to get on the floor, like in a store, I hand her single pieces or pop them in her mouth, or we eat outside. Whole bananas are great to share (our usual on the go snack), or a peanut butter sandwich. Avacados are great too if your ds will tolerate being spoon fed. Take a disposable butter knife to cut the end off.

mom to DD 3/09
#9 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Freeze-dried fruit rules.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#10 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Alive View Post
Freeze-dried fruit rules.

We discovered the Brothers All Natural apples at Subway one day and my ds LOVES them! The problem is he can chow down a whole bag in .2 seconds, so they can get expensive. For the younger ones, I'm sure it isn't too bad though because they probably don't go through them as fast! We get them for occasional treats now, or car rides. I wish I knew about them when he was younger!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#11 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 PM

I just made some vegan oat bars as snack for my toddler - they are simple to make and very yummy! Recipe here: http://onelovelivity.com/childofnatureblog/?p=808

onelove

momsling.GIFfamilybed2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifwaterbirth.jpgcd.gif   treehugger.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   namaste.gif
Mama to DD 11th July 2008 & DS 5th October 2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page