Flying tomorrow.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
with our running 1-year old. Who has a head cold. And will be sitting on our laps.

Pray for me!

We've lots of snacks and 3 new books (one of which is a lift the flap) and movies/music on Daddy's laptop.

What am I forgetting?

#2 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 04:40 PM

With the laptop you should do very well. I have flown at least 20 flights with my now 21 month old alone. Never with a laptop. I am jealous.

Just have a good attitude. Make it fun and exciting for baby. Let her run around in the terminal. Try to get her to nap on the plane. Make sure you bring fave blankie/lovey. (duh)

With the head cold. uh... Be careful. A couple flights ago I had a minor sinus thing going on and on the way up I noticed i couldn't clear my ears. (I used to fly in the military, so I know all the tricks. And FWIW, we never ever were allowed to fly with a cold because of this.) No big deal. Until coming down. I had the most pearcing pain ever imaginable in my ears. One worse than the other. I thought for sure blood would start trickling down my ears. I was very close to getting the attendant.

Now, I survived. My right ear ended up clearing about 10 hours later. It was very painful, and for a couple days my ear wasn't right. But, now I am fine.

I don't know if this was a specific kind of cold or what, but after this experience I will thinkn twice about flying with a cold. I have heard of babies having issues with their ears when they fly. Mine naver has.

I don't want to scare you, but if your baby is turning red screaming on descent, that is what is probably going on, and God be with you.

Have fun on your trip!
#3 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Bring a sippy for water. My DD is sometimes too distracted to nurse at take off and landing so I give her the sippy in the hopes that the swallowing will help her ears. So far so good. Maybe wrapping the new books and a few little toys. Unwrapping can be fun and take some time! Will your lo color? How about some stickers?

question about the laptop. Do you just play the movie through the computer speakers? I'm asking because we have a long trip planned this summer and were thinking movies would help. DD wouldn't handle earphones too well. DH thinks it will bug other passengers, I say it won't bug them as much as a crying one year old!!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#4 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wrapping the new toys! What a BRILLIANT idea, Akislandgirl ... I can always count on you for the smarts! We're flying to Costa Rica in May and I will most DEFINITELY be doing that. Yeesh, you're one bright penny.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#5 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 PM

you make me laugh starling!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page