One Year Old Pinches the Lazy, but Amazing Cat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually it's more like she grabs fists full of skin and twists. Or sometimes she tries to pick her up by the tail.

All of our pets have plenty of places to hide and most of them stay clear of DD (occasionally coming up to her to give her a "kiss" or rub on her), but this cat is older and likes to lie on the floor on a mat next to DD's play area, and for some reason she won't move.

If I turn away (even just for a second), DD will often zip over there and start harassing her. I've tried putting the cat to new places (like on the back of the couch where DD can't reach her and it's very comfy), but she always hops down and gets back on this large mat on the floor. I'm always in the same room (though sometimes I try to get other things done) and she only has 3 seconds max to torment the cat before I grab her, but it is still horrible! Relocating the mat is not an option. It's huge and we don't have much room for it elsewhere. The one thing I'll say is the cat is amazing because she hasn't swatted or bit DD, but I'm not one to tempt fate.

As for DD, I've tried teaching her "nice petting." She actually remembers this 1/2 the time, but often resorts to grabbing the cat because it hasn't totally sunk in yet, and I think she likes to hear the cat react (yowl). I've tried diversion, but you know how tenacious a toddler can get. Sometimes, I have to resort to wearing her or taking her outside to get her to stop, and this sometimes angers DD.

I really appreciate anyone's ideas on how to deal with this. If there aren't any (other than sticking with what I'm doing) please someone tell me kids outgrow this...because I can't help feeling like my sweet little baby is going to because some animal abusing thug when I catch her doing this. LOL!

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#2 of 6 Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 AM

You are doing all the right things! And if she is remembering to pet nicely half the time -- then that is AWESOME!

My daughter at 12 months I don't think ever petted nicely unless we were holding her hand and "helping" her to pet the cat or dog. Mostly she just pulled their tails or grabbed fur. Now, after 8 months or so of constant "we pet the cat/dog gently" and showing her how to do it and moving the cat/dog out of her reach or removing her altogether from the temptation and much reading of the book "Tails Are Not For Pulling" she is finally not pulling the dogs' and cat's tails! Or at least, not very frequently... So there is hope! Hang in there.

Daniela ~ Mami to Thalia Adelita (born 10/05/08)
#3 of 6 Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 PM

I'm in the same boat- so I'll be watching this thread, too. DS is 14 months and LOOOOVES our cats. But usually he loves them too much. Lots of smacking at them and pulling on them. We've been doing basically the same thing as you, saying "Gentle- we're gentle with the kittys" and then showing him how to pet gently. And he remembers half the time too (usually looking at us with a big grin). But I think he only pets gently to get a happy reaction from us- because after I say something like "Oh, that's such nice gentle petting!" it usually turns into smacking again. I think he just gets too excited. Luckily, my cats tend to just leave if they get too annoyed with him, though.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#4 of 6 Old 04-15-2010, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it is just continuing to do what you're doing. Ds is getting better now but it's been many, many months of showing him how to be gentle & telling him to be gentle - he can now stop mid-swat & switch to a gentle pat but still chooses rough over gentle if he's excited.

Unfortunately yesterday morning after being told a dozen times to be gentle the (overally dopey & compliant) cat finally had enough & ds ended up with a scratched hand. I'm hoping this isn't going to be a lesson he has to be taught often.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 6 Old 04-15-2010, 12:32 AM

You're doing the same things I did with my DD and now at 22mo. she has finally started to pet the cat nicely. Sorry I couldn't tell you it was sooner but at least you have some hope that it WILL get better! Good luck!

Married to my soul mate and totally devoted to DD (6/08) and enjoying our 2 cats and many fish. Wishing for a "green" house in the country where we can raise more children!
#6 of 6 Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Some hope for you - my 14 month old has mostly figured this out, after a long time of teaching "gentle touching". He basically never pulls fur anymore, but sometimes his gentle touches approach slapping when he gets too excited. This "gentle touching" reminder works when he's touching humans as well as pets, which is nice. It's a major improvement from a few months ago, but came gradually, so I don't exactly remember when it happened.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page