What kind of milk do you give your LO and when did you start? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What kind of milk for your LO?
Whole store bought cow (WIC) 17 15.89%
Whole organic cow 21 19.63%
Raw cow 14 13.08%
Soy 10 9.35%
Goat 5 4.67%
Other 40 37.38%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whole cow, raw cow, organic, store bought, soy, goat, almond and everything in between! DS is almost a year, still nursing like a champ, so I am not looking to start an alternative milk very soon, but wondering what others do and the reasoning behind your choice.

DH and I drink soy BTW...

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 09:13 PM

We tried cow milk when DD was around a year old. She didn't like it and we suspected she also had a dairy reaction. I had recently cut out dairy anyway (it doesn't like me either). She nursed until she was 5+ so I wasn't too worried about it when the peds would ask.

Now she likes rice milk on her cereal and will occasionally drink the foam off of a chocolate soy milk hot chocolate. She really only likes milk on cereal though. She just drinks a lot of water and some juice once in awhile. I use rice milk in our cooking.

DD does like cheese a lot though which is frustrating because if she eats much of it, she seems sensitive to it.

Edited to add: we buy the rice milk at the store. I haven't tried making it on my own yet, because I buy the calcium fortified one.

She told me the other day she wants to try coconut milk, but that's because we saw some coconuts at the store. She used to eat tom ka, a Thai coconut soup, but no longer like it.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#3 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 09:18 PM

When DD was just past 1 I started giving her a little bit of goat's milk here and there. I stopped EP'ing at 21 months and gradually transitioned from goat to cow to raw cow and now we do sort of 50/50 raw/pasteurized cow's milk (age 4.5).

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#4 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM

My DD gets whole cow's milk - not from WIC though. We are Canadian. I used to have her on organic and wish I could keep it up, but it just isn't in the budget at this time. I have no idea where I could get raw milk.

I consider alternate milks, such as soy, rice, almond, etc. to be processed foods. We don't have issues with dairy in my house so we avoid the rest.

I started offering cow's milk shortly after her first birthday. She was on formula (she refused to nurse, sad story, no judgment please) and I didn't wean her off that entirely until 18 months.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#5 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 PM

dd and Ds have dairy sensitivities so we do Rice Milk for ds to drink. Dd uses rice milk on cereal. dd eats soy yogurt but absolutly no cheese. I cook with rice milk and coconut oil (to replace butter or margerine). Dd was started on cows milk at a year at about 3 yo we found the cause of behavior was do to a dairy allergy and cut out all cow milk and soy milk products. Ds would breal out in a rash from cows milk so we chose rice milk. I even like rice milk.

Yoga loving momma to DD Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08 , DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason .
Namaste
#6 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 PM

Older LO has multiple food allergies so we delayed any (cow) dairy.

Rice and Hemp after one year.
Cow after 15 months and a negative allergy test.

Now we rotate between rice, soy, and cow.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#7 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 PM

I have low milk supply so DD gets little milk from me now that I'm off my domperidone. I still supplement at the breast with formula - mostly bc we bought a bunch and haven't used it up. At meals she gets whole organic cow milk in her sippy. She drinks water or diluted juice outside of meals.

I am mostly vegan and don't drink cow milk myself. I had thought about doing soy or another vegan milk for DD but in the end I just don't feel comfortable enough with that idea since she isn't getting a ton of milk from me. I will probably phase out the cow milk once she is over 2 or 3. For myself, I prefer almond and hemp milk. I do use almond on her cereal sometimes and she likes it but I don't think it provides enough nutrients on its own.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#8 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 PM

Rice Milk here. At around 12 months.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#9 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 PM

Almond milk, and around 12 months. Just for flavor/fun, though! He mainly drinks water and breast milk.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#10 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 10:53 PM

With my ds I started 2% w/no hormones around 18 months, he was nursing but my milk was turning to colostrum. I ended up tandem but still offered him 2% about once a day. With dd I thought I would wait longer but she realized her brother was getting something different in his cup so it was around 13 months. Also 2% no/hormone since she was still nursing full time.
#11 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do Whole organic pasturized but NOT homogenized in glass half gallon bottles.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#12 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
None. My 14 month old just drinks water and nurses. I figure if he still needs milk, it might as well be mine, and water is less messy for him to drink/play with. The adults in this house don't drink milk of any kind straight either, though we use it in cooking and for making yogurt (also eat cheese and butter) - so my son does eat dairy.
#13 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 PM

none. my 27 mo old only drinks water and nurses.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#14 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 PM

Goats milk and I start around 10 months. Only because I can't pump and for the few short times I leave, by that age I feel comfortable using goats milk bottles instead.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#15 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 PM

DS still nurses whenever he wants (usually 2-4 times a day and to go to sleep and maybe 1-2 at night) So I have never actually replaced BM with anything but he does drink Chocolate milk, skim milk, almond milk, goat milk, 2% all occasionally just as another type of beverage and usually in pretty small amounts. He mostly drinks water with meals and during the day.

I guess he was about 16 mons or so that he first had any other type of milk besides breast milk (he had tried cow milk earlier as a sip form my glass and didn't like it) at first I would only give him maybe an once or two but now he will half about half a glass (unless chocolate milk, then he can drain a small container)

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#16 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 11:31 PM

I voted goat milk because that's what he has now - 1-2 glasses per day. When he was littler I rotated rice, almond and goat milk at the advice of our naturopath. She says to keep him of cow milk altogether because he will be sensitive and I believe her as I was sensitive as a child and still don't drink milk. I think I started at around a year.
#17 of 57 Old 04-16-2010, 11:54 PM

I chose other because my DD really doesn't drink milk of any kind. She is 22mo. and still nurses and usually only drinks water. Very rarely she will have some juice or some rice milk.

Married to my soul mate and totally devoted to DD (6/08) and enjoying our 2 cats and many fish. Wishing for a "green" house in the country where we can raise more children!
#18 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 01:14 AM

Human milk and water for us. I've been trying to get him on any other kind cow milk (whole or skim) or soy milk, but so far he just refuses. We're cutting down on nursing bigtime now. He loves cheese, so maybe he'll be okay for a while yet.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#19 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
My daughter started getting goat milk around a year. Somewhere around 15ish months I switched her to raw cow milk. She is currently 23 months and she still nurses like a champ. She doesn't have cow milk daily but she asks for it occasionally and I don't see a reason to deny her. I *love* cow milk so I, of course, am happy to share it.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#20 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 10:59 AM

We tried goat's milk and almond milk at around 14 months and Thalia did not much like either at all. It became too much of an effort to try to get her to drink it so we stopped. She is breastfeeding quite frequently so she's getting plenty that way. Now- at 18 months- she goes to day care two days a week, where she gets organic whole cow's milk. She drinks between 2 and 4 ounces with her lunch. And that's it. I suppose I could offer some at home too, one of these days, when I'd like her to start weaning...

Daniela ~ Mami to Thalia Adelita (born 10/05/08)
#21 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 12:06 PM

just mama milk and water here. and i'd never give my child soy...you may want to do some research on that
#22 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 01:39 PM

I voted organic whole cows milk, but maybe I should have put "other". Our milk isn't certified organic, but it's from a local farm and they say they're not certified because if one of their cows gets sick, they do give it antibiotics, but just don't use the milk from that cow until the meds are out of the cow's body. I'm ok with that because the cows are grass-fed, and even though the milk is pasteurized, it's not ultra pasteurized, and it's non-homogenized. And I can buy it at my normal grocery store, which is handy.

Oh, and we started giving it to DS around 12 months. We started giving it to him on days I worked, instead of pumped breastmilk in his bottle. He was only getting one bottle during my work hours at that point anyway. But after awhile, I started putting it in his cup and giving it to him around that time of day everyday. He still nurses 3-4 times a day, too.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#23 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Other.

The only milk my DD drinks is breastmilk. I do cook with whole store bought cows milk though. DD also eats limited amounts of cultured dairy (yogurt or cheese) She's not a big fan.

ETA DD is 25 months. I briefly played w introducing cow's milk to drink around 12 months when the ped wasn't happy w/ DD's weight gain, but it exacerbated the eczema that had been nearly gone. Oh and according to the WHO's breastfed baby chart her weight was fine.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#24 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 04:19 PM

i got pregnant when DS was 8 months and my milk only lasted until DS was 10 months (i EP) and we had a months supply frozen...so he got BM for 11 months, he had a reaction to goats milk, completely refused any formula, didnt entirely like whole milk (too thick, i think) and now at 12 months is only 2%. it was a thickness thing, i think ...

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#25 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 04:52 PM

I voted other. DD1 is just about four, nurses, and drinks skim organic cows milk once in awhile. But, we never switched or bothered introducing anything in particular at any age. She wasn't even interested in it until well after two? Our littlest is almost a year and has never had it or any of the other things listed in the poll.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#26 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanApplesauce View Post
none. my 27 mo old only drinks water and nurses.
Same here~ my LO is 26 months and just drinks water or from me
And occasionally tomato juice, which she loves
#27 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Whole organic cow, starting at 12 months. At that point, it was mostly tastes here and there, as she was still nursing, but once she weaned she started drinking a lot more cow's milk.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#28 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 05:40 PM

We don't drink soy b/c it isn't fermented and I (personally) think it is not healthy. We don't drink cow milk b/c we don't have access to raw (same for goat milk.) We tried almond milk and DS *hates* it. We have had limited success with a blend of coconut milk and vanilla coconut milk kefir (so delicious brand). He has only accepted it once though. It is very frustrating!! Right now he only wants his "booby milk" but I am not producing as much now that he turned 2, so I need to supplement.

ETA - I also made some hemp milk. My DH said he drank it - I thought it smelled gross. We have only tried supplementing in the last few weeks. DS just turned 2. He does also get filtered water and the occasional blend of fruit/veggie juice and water.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#29 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas, so I am thinking when the times is right we might try a little bit of organic cow, almond, and goat- no telling when this is going to be, he loves his Na Na and I love nursing.

So does anyone have links to creditable sites about the issues surrounding soy? As I said in the OP DH and I drink organic soy milk now and again (I'm not crazy about it, so maybe a glass every other day for me and some on cereal every day for DH) We also eat tofu maybe once a week. I know I read a mothering article about it not to long ago...

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#30 of 57 Old 04-17-2010, 07:15 PM

DD didn't start drinking milk until she was at least 2 years old. Before that, she only drank breast milk and water. She started drinking 1% milk about a month or two after she weaned at 25 months.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page