Demanding 2.5 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is probably an oft-mentioned problem. We have a loving, curious, articulate, and demanding 2.5 year old son. We have worked on "please" and "thank you" with him since before he could talk. "Thank you" gets a lot of play. "Please", only after being reminded. Always. I suppose this will come in time.

My real complaint however has to do with the interruptions that occur any time my partner and I try to have a conversation, or anyone else whom DS is very comfortable around, such as Grandma or our family friends. It's clear that he just wants to be involved in the conversation, as his statements usually sound like: "Um, um, remember that time when...?" etc. Much like myself as a child, he would rather be around adults than anything else. At our ECFE (early childhood family education) class, I observe him constantly trying to monopolize the adults (the caregivers who attend to the kids while the parents talk) attention by getting in front of them and saying their name repeatedly. Or, "I wanna show you something, I wanna show you something!".

He's not an only child, in fact his big sister has serious special needs and he's had to learn that he can't always get what he wants immediately right from the start. I make time to play 1-1 with him every day, and I engage him in all of the household work, which he LOVES. But still, any time I get on the phone, or the computer, and especially when my partner comes home from work, he is relentless about vying for attention.

We went to the park with our friend and her daughter of the same age yesterday. I was amazed at how little conversation we were able to have due to the never-ending "Watch this!' "Look at me!" "Push me REAL fast!". And if I did manage to start a conversation, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy!", just to divert the attention back to him. I try to tell him to wait, but he doesn't. He just carries on. Sigh. I am personally very sensitive to the rules of polite conversation, and this drives me batty!

Ideas?

SAHM to my beautiful, joyful, silent D (9/90) and exuberant, charismatic, not-so-silent S (11/07) and our precious little chickpea DD born 3/11 ,+7 animals. Partner to my lovely "M.O". Trying to live with intention.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 02:02 AM

He sounds like a normal extroverted 2.5 year old to me. My DD is 3.5 and wants to dominate everything, it's her personality. She was born into a family with big personalities and wants everything to be about her. Today at the park she's trying to herd the other kids and be the boss. She's the same way "look at me", do this, hey listen to what I'm saying. We do tell her please not interrupt, but she's still young her impulse control still gets the best of her.

I think you may have to ease up on your expectations of what a 2.5 year old can handle with regards to proper conversation, I'm not saying give up but realize it may take awhile for him to understand what you are wanting from him.

And having any amount of conversation with a toddler, is an amazing feat.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 04-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Moved to Toddlers

Old 04-17-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess you're right. After re-reading my post, it does appear that I'm having unrealistic expectations for him. He's SO inquisitive and talkative that sometimes I think I forget that he's only two. Thanks for the wake-up call.

SAHM to my beautiful, joyful, silent D (9/90) and exuberant, charismatic, not-so-silent S (11/07) and our precious little chickpea DD born 3/11 ,+7 animals. Partner to my lovely "M.O". Trying to live with intention.

User Tag List