Toddler yoga? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-18-2010, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am the mom of a VERY active and rather "high-strung" toddler. I would like to try some simple yoga poses with him-I think he would enjoy it, and it would give us a specific activity together-also nice since we get less one-on-one time now. Anybody else done yoga with a toddler-what did you do and how did it go? (I plan on just doing it in our home, not going to classes).

Sarah-Wife to Kelly, mostly organic crafty SAHMama to my angel, Canaan (11/01/07-03/15/2013) and Ezra (05-12-09).

#2 of 8 Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
dd learned tree pose and downward dog first-and also did cat/cow and triangle early on as well. I think anything with a name they recognize is fun for them! We've done some videos together, which she loves (if you do tv)-We got her the YogaKid's video (by Gaiam) for Christmas and we really like it-very laid back. We have the ABC one. Actually, we haven't been doing much yoga since I finished the prenatal class (seh came with me), so I'm glad I read this, it is something I have been wanting to start doing with her again Oh, and fwiw, she does a lot more when watching the video versus watching me, although she also did a lot watching the teacher in class-I guess I am not exciting enough, lol

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#3 of 8 Old 04-18-2010, 06:04 PM

We got a book called "what I see I can be". It has a CD with it too. It helps kids imagine they are the things in the poses, like trees or mountains. My DD loves it and she's 2.5.
she can't do all of them, but it gets her trying anyways. She naturally does some of the poses anyways.
We also try to get her to focus on her breath, that seems to calm her down.
Good luck momma!
#4 of 8 Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 PM

We got the yoga kids videos from the library and my twins who prefer volume 1 to the other volumes. They still sit looking at each other doing "lion pose" and take turns roaring at each other. Of course they are giggling the whole time.
#5 of 8 Old 04-18-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenemami View Post
We got her the YogaKid's video (by Gaiam) for Christmas and we really like it-very laid back. We have the ABC one.
I just ordered this one (with Silly to Calm bundled in) from Amazon after borrowing it from the library.

Both kids loved it (4 and 2).
#6 of 8 Old 04-20-2010, 01:18 AM

At two years old, DS is still pretty young in my opinion when it comes to yoga, but he has the triangle down. Once in triangle, I ask him to lift his leg, then the other. I pretty much got him to go through sun salutations once by just asking to raise his arms, put them on the floor, do triangle, etc. Pretty fun. Sometimes, he does breath of fire (fast breathing) and then I join in and we take turns. My friend who taught 3-5 yo's told them stories such as: 'and now we are walking through the mountains and we see a tree (tree pose)'. This worked really well for these children. The kundalini yoga tradition also has some great literature for children's yoga.
#7 of 8 Old 04-21-2010, 05:31 PM

we also love the yoga kids videos. my kids ask for it. we have vol 1 - 3.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#8 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 01:02 PM

This site features a new yoga pose/activity for kids every other week. They are really fun!

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page