SPF swim shirt/rash guard - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you know if it contains chemicals? Do any? Do they all? Or is it the actual fabric that is the sun protectant? If it contains chemicals would it say so on the label?

DS received swim shirt/trunks as a gift. I want to be able to use the swim shirt, as I think it would help prevent sunburn without having to use so much sunblock. (I'd still put sunblock on his exposed skin.) Just wondering about what gives them an SPF. I don't want to use it if it has chemicals in the fabric.

Thanks for any input!

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#2 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 01:32 PM

It is the way the fabric is woven. It's a fine thread, woven tightly together. It has no more chemicals in it than your average synthetic fabric does.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#3 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 01:55 PM

They can be chemically treated as well. I just purchased a uv protective suit from mamabargains yesterday. Today when I emailed I was told by the manufacturer that it was a combination of the tightly woven material and a chemical treatment. I'm waiting to hear back about what chemicals they use, if they'll tell me.

I believe there are some that do not contain any chemicals though, so I'd email the company you are wanting to buy from and ask.
#4 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
some have zinc or something like that woven in. i love coolibar and the rashguard shirt company.

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 02:30 PM

The company I purchased from got back to me and have said that the chemicals they use are proprietary so I'll be ditching the sun suit I bought yesterday and looking for something else. The brand I bought was made by SunSmarty.
#6 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 04:57 PM

Wow, my apologies. I had read an industry article on them, so I though I had a pretty trustworthy source.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#7 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE View Post
Wow, my apologies. I had read an industry article on them, so I though I had a pretty trustworthy source.
I'm actually super glad the OP started this thread because until I saw it I also thought it was just the way the material was made that made it UV protective. I had no idea some companies added chemicals. I'd be fine with added zinc like a pp posted, but i'm not ok with a proprietary chemical blend. I mean, who knows what's in it or if it could be absorbed at all. Now at least I can purchase one without chemicals included, though I'm a little bummed about the one I already bought.
#8 of 12 Old 04-19-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

OP here - Thanks for the helpful input!
I went ahead & contacted the store (Younkers) where the swim set was purchased. I tried to contact the clothing company (Ruff Hewn) themselves, but there wasn't any contact info on their website. Younkers told me that there are no chemicals applied to the fabric, that the fabric itself is made to reflect UV rays. So, their stuff is chem-free!! It is polyester/spandex fabric, but I think most swim stuff is.

I wish they'd all leave off the chemicals, or use zinc. That is too bad, ElaynesMom, that you have to get a new suit. I wonder if there is a way to tell from the label whether or not they have applied chemicals.

#9 of 12 Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 AM

Curious - do you think the chemicals on clothing are worse than sunblock? Putting on sunblock, which absorbed into the skin by nature seems to be worse than a fabric placed against the skin. I guess you would have to know what the chemicals are to make that determination, but it does have me thinking...

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#10 of 12 Old 04-19-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDaisi View Post
Curious - do you think the chemicals on clothing are worse than sunblock? Putting on sunblock, which absorbed into the skin by nature seems to be worse than a fabric placed against the skin. I guess you would have to know what the chemicals are to make that determination, but it does have me thinking...
I use zinc oxide sunscreen, not chemical sunscreens, so chemicals applied to fabric definietly worry me more then zinc sunscreen. If it was a choice between chemical sunscreens or chemically treated clothes I guess I'd have to look at what chemicals were used.

Ok, now I'll stop monopolizing this thread
#11 of 12 Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaynesMom View Post
I use zinc oxide sunscreen, not chemical sunscreens, so chemicals applied to fabric definietly worry me more then zinc sunscreen. If it was a choice between chemical sunscreens or chemically treated clothes I guess I'd have to look at what chemicals were used.

I appreciate your response!

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#12 of 12 Old 04-20-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaynesMom View Post
Doesn't bother me - your input has been very helpful!

We also use barrier sunblock, very few chemicals, if any. If the clothing did have chemicals, I'd like to know what they were so I could compare them to the ones in the sunblock.

I did think about this more . . . if the chemicals applied to the clothing were made to stay on the fabric, even in chlorinated pools, hot sun, machine washing & drying, etc, maybe they aren't so terrible. I mean, if they're not going to come off the fabric, they're no worse than the chemicals in the fabric itself (polyester). OR, if they can come off onto the skin, they would be extra bad because they'd be mixing with chlorine, hot sun, etc!

Idk, I'm just glad some do not have chemicals!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page