Recommend a book for new big sister - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 04-21-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Big sister is 3 in a few months and having trouble adjusting to new baby who is 2 months old. Clingy, insecure, cries a lot, naughty....

Can you recommend a book to read with her? Or something else besides 'spend time with her together' and 'let her help with the baby and be involved.' I do those thing as much as I can and it doesn't help much.

How long will this last??????

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A baby sister for Frances by Russel Hoban
Who's That Baby?: New-Baby Songs by Sharon Creech
Shirley's Wonderful Baby by valiska gregory--I didn't love this one but my ds at 2-yrs-old did

There was another one I really liked that I can't remember the name...it had a pattern of presenting some kind of problem about the baby and then the toddler big brother finding something he could do to help. If I figure out the name I'll come back to post.

You could try doing searches (in a library catalog) about siblings rather than new babies so that it isn't just about the arrival of the baby but LIFE with the baby. Children's librarians are also extremely helpful about stuff like that.

About the length of time...it is so hard to say because children that age are difficult anyway. DS was already an extremely hyper, high need child and I didn't notice a huge jump in bad behavior with his new sister. DD1 had a really hard time with DD2 being born and was really quite difficult for a whole year but I don't know how large a factor the new baby was in that.

She would have days and weeks in which she would cry ALL THE TIME unless I was holding her and reading her a book. So you have my sympathy. She liked the baby though. And she liked the attention I gave her when she was holding the baby and being gentle. The other thing that helped a lot was when we had extended family around and an aunt or uncle or grandparent would be willing to sit with her one on one for an hour or more and read every single book she produced. She loved that.

#3 of 3 Old 04-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is not a big brother yet (still cooking the little brother) but we have been reading Baby on the Way and What Baby Needs from the Sears Library. He loves them.

What a Baby Needs has a really positive focus, and shows the siblings how to be involved with the baby care, and encourages them to think of the new baby as a friend instead of competition.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page