How do you teach a toddler to blow his nose? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
DS is one of those kids whose nose is always runny. He'd be so much happier if he could blow it! He is 16.5 months old and increasingly annoyed by his bothersome nose (wipes at it with the back of his hand, has started to pick at it, etc) but can't do much about it. For a few weeks now, I've been endlessly demonstrating and trying to find tricks to get him to realize he can blow but nothing seems to work. He just laughs at me and doesn't seem to even understand that he could try.

Is he still too young to "get" nose blowing? Or are there tricks to teaching toddlers how?

Thanks for any advice you have!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#2 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our oldest could do it when she was smaller, maybe around 18 months. I'd put a kleenex to her nose & ask her to blow & she would just do it. Now that she's almost 29 months, she can't do it anymore, lol.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#3 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 10:23 PM

This is what I do, but my 26 month old son hasn't really learned yet!

I demonstrate blowing without a tissue, I'm a dragon breathing fire from my nose, or a snorting horse, and I make sure he can feel the breath on his skin. When I have a chance for some real nose blowing, I make a big production out of it, finding the perfect hanky, trying to blow my ear first, then my knee -- you know the thing.

I also talk alot about how getting the mucus out is like peeing - nobody wants to stop playing to do it, but we all feel better afterward, and can have more fun. He totally equates mucus with pee and poop and lately throw-up, all of which I have explained as things the body no longer needs and has to get rid of.

Lately, he's showing me the snorting routine, so I know he can sort of do it. He hates having anything put to his face, so I just hope we can graduate to snorting into a hanky soon - I change my shirt 10 times a day when he has a cold (or I don't, and I don't leave the house.)

Would love to know some more tricks.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#4 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 03:31 AM
Bea

Teaching a toddler to blow their nose is easy. Show them! Pantomime the act and get them to copy. Hold a tissue to their nose and say "BLOW" while blocking alternate nostrils. Make up a nose blowing song.

Unfortunately they NEVER want to actually blow their nose and will throw a wobbly any time you try, preferring to wander around with two snot streams, a slimy sleeve and wipe their nose on your shirt when your not looking.

On the upside, I hear snot is in this year.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#5 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 08:15 AM

I honestly don't remember how I 'taught' ds1 to blow his nose... I think I just started putting a kleenex infront of it and telling him to blow and he figured it out not sure when that was... 18 months or so is my guess...
#6 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 AM

No, he's not too young. Sometime after a year old, I don't remember exactly when but before or around 18 months, dd just started imitating me when I blew my nose.

Unlike Bea, though, dd never minded blowing her nose... in fact prefers to do so because she doesn't like being congested. She even went through a stage of wanting to carry dainty women's embroidered handkerchiefs when we went out.
#7 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 09:55 PM

It took forever for my older DS to figure it out, but what finally worked was to tell him to close his mouth and act like he was blowing candles out with his nose.
#8 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 11:24 PM

I've always told kiddos to pretend to blow their birthday candles out through their nose. Once they know what to do, I'll say, "Well, that was a wimpy blow - try again!" - that way, they don't get so frustrated with, "Blow again. Again. And again." My son learned shortly after he was a year old (granted, he prefers to "twisty" it, picking his nose with the tissue. I suppose it's better than a finger though!).
#9 of 11 Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 PM

We still use our nose frida but TG knows how to blow her nose when we hold the tissue to her nose.

It took alot of trial and error. It took a very bad sinus cold of mine for her to realize what she needed to do. I kept blowing my nose so much and showing her what I was doing. I took advantage of the cold and explained to her that I was blowing my nose like an elephant.

To this day she calls me an elephant when I blow my nose.

One day, it finally clicked.

Now when we put the tissue up to her nose, she blows like an elephant.

She sometimes even tells us know when she needs her nose blown.

Give it time. TG didn't really get it at 16 months but by 18 months, I think she understood the concept.

Now, if I can teach her how to blow bubbles. She keeps blowing air out through her teeth.

signcirc1.giffly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif

Proud mom of an inquisitive, breastfeeding, babywearing, cosleeping 9 month old boy and a talkative curious 4 year old girl.

#10 of 11 Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 PM

I was wondering this very thing last week! I tried and tried to show DS (18 months) who was sooo congested, how to blow his nose. But all he does is blow through his mouth and make raspberry noises!! LOL. No matter how many times we did it, I couldn't for the life of me get him to blow through his nose.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#11 of 11 Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFox05 View Post
Our oldest could do it when she was smaller, maybe around 18 months. I'd put a kleenex to her nose & ask her to blow & she would just do it. Now that she's almost 29 months, she can't do it anymore, lol.
Yeah my 17 mo just does it!

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page