Flavored water for toddlers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My son loves drinking flavored water, to the point of not drinking anything unless it's flavored water. There's no aspartame or anything like that in it, but is it ok for him to drink it a lot?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i would look into what exactly is used to flavor it.

Personally, I would rather see a toddler drinking plain water. I bet if you stopped offering the flavored water and only offered plain old water, he'd drink it. I know too many adults who think plain water is "gross", though, so I am very wary of this sort of thing!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:19 PM

chemicals are chemicals... we avoid them all. I agree that if all there was to drink was breastmilk and plain water, a thirsty human would be fine...

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
Old 04-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Will he drink water with a splash of lime or lemon juice? It's "flavored," after all...

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 PM

I too, was going to suggest just flavoring your own water with lemon or lime

DD will drink water, but loves when I make her a "special water" with funny shaped iced cubes, mint and some lemons.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
Old 04-24-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I felt weird about giving them to him all the time. I personally don't think plain water is gross, but it sits funny on my tummy and makes me feel sick for some reason. Which is why we keep the flavors around. I won't drink plain water (even before we started putting flavors in it) but I'll try some lemon or lime juice. Thanks!

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Old 04-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

My DS loves lemon or cucumber water. I find it very refreshing myself.

You can try ice cubes too. Sometimes that makes it fun.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:01 PM

I don't see any problem with flavoured water as long as it's not chemically flavored.

I do mint and cucumber, ginger and lime, and lemon and sweet basil, I find it helps me meet my water requirements, and the ginger lime in particular when I am feeling queasy (drank that one most of my last pregnancy).

basically just thinly slice the fruit/veg and juliane any herbs and fill the container with cold water and keep in the fridge. It looks pretty too.

Another idea might be to get some fun shaped ice cube trays and fill them with different fruit juices. Then fill the water glass with 2 or three juice ice cubes/shapes and they will flavor the water as they melt.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post
I don't see any problem with flavoured water as long as it's not chemically flavored.

I do mint and cucumber, ginger and lime, and lemon and sweet basil, I find it helps me meet my water requirements, and the ginger lime in particular when I am feeling queasy (drank that one most of my last pregnancy).

basically just thinly slice the fruit/veg and juliane any herbs and fill the container with cold water and keep in the fridge. It looks pretty too.

Another idea might be to get some fun shaped ice cube trays and fill them with different fruit juices. Then fill the water glass with 2 or three juice ice cubes/shapes and they will flavor the water as they melt.
That sounds yummy! I gotta try that.. thanks!

User Tag List