Potty Learning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 11-19-2001, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Emily is about 21 months old. I wasn't really thinking about potty training but lately I'm seeing the signs that she might be ready. I've been popping around online reading info about it, but I really want advice from people doing it.

Should I get her a potty to "play" with? What kind of potty do I get? Do I put it in the bathroom (which she does NOT have access to) or do I put it in her room?

Should I put her on the potty occasionally? She knows what pee pee is because in the bathtub she'll standup and say, "Pee pee now?" And when I say "go ahead" she'll pee in the bathtub then sit down again.

Anyway, I need to know what to do first and do you guys have any good books I should read? I want to be ready when she's ready.

Thanks!
#2 of 82 Old 11-19-2001, 05:49 PM

Erin,
21 months is younger than my ds was when he got interested in potty training. In fact, he was three before I stopped diapering him. I've heard (and from my 2 nieces experience) that girls potty train earlier. So I say go for it! Get her a potty....maybe both kinds. I did the toilet seat one just because I didn't want to have to do the transition thing....or clean it out everytime! But my niece would only do the potty in the living room! When your dd says pee pee now take her to the potty. Even if she doesn't go it'll show her where she should be heading. It might only take her a few days to catch on or you might have to stop for weeks or months and then try again. You just have to read her and see how she feels about it and see how she progresses..if at all. I remember with my ds he would pee on the toilet a few times and then we would go months without him interested in doing it. But when he turned three I got serious! Probably b/c I also had a newborn and didn't want two kids in diapers.
Anyway...good luck and I'm here if you have anymore questions!
#3 of 82 Old 11-19-2001, 06:09 PM

Dear Erin -

Our daughter is just a couple of weeks shy of two years old and we have been gently introducing the potty for about 3 months, at her interest. There are days when she wants to use it all the time to pee in, other days when it holds no interest and we go with that. We also picked up two wonderful books on potty training by Alana Frankel, one about a little boy named Joshua and another about a little girl named Prudence. She loves to sit and read those when she is on the potty. Another thing that seemed to spark more interest was a sweet video called Wilson's Potty Adventure - we got it at the library and I swear, she must have watched it ten times in a row, the last five while sitting on the potty.

They work with potty training at her day care center, but again, only if they express an interest.

Hope this helps.

Lisa
#4 of 82 Old 11-19-2001, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

definitely helpful and a good start.

Emily never seems to like watching tv so I'm not sure she'll sit still for a video. She also doesn't sit still for reading too much, but I think if I show her physically what to do she'll get it.

Also, she can't quite pull down her pants. I wish I could watch somone do this so I could get a technique.

Do the videos show how mommies help their daughters potty train? maybe *I* need the video more than she!
#5 of 82 Old 11-19-2001, 08:50 PM

Well, one thing we do is have dd in the bathroom with us while we are on the toilet. she is very interested in whether we are peeing or pooping, bending down to see it come out and watch it go down the toilet.

Also, when she is getting her diaper changed, I ask her if she wants to sit on the potty - sometimes she will tell me before so that we can get her pants down and diaper off.

One more thing - she refuses to wear either her cotton diapers or disposable diapers with tabs. We have relunctantly given in to her wearing pull ups, which are not that great and do leak, but the upside is that it gives her a more immediate sense of when she has peed.

She still doesn't want to poop in the potty - did one time and it really scared her, hasn't tried again since.

As for a potty - we use one that has a little separate pot that she can dump in the toilet. it is a pretty simple item and she seems to like it alot. i opted to not get the one that can transfer to an adults toilet because she isn't ready for it and i wanted to keep it simple.

A piece of advice that was really helpful - when our dd does pee in the potty, we congratulate her, but don't make it a huge huge deal, which i read can be overwhelming.

This is a long process - i wish i had more resources like books or videos to offer - if i come across any, i will pass them on!

best of luck,

Lisa
#6 of 82 Old 11-20-2001, 12:16 AM

My almost 3 year old dd hasn't shown the slightest bit of interest in the potty. We bought one and it's in her bathroom. I always ask about peeing on the potty before baths, but she says no and proceeded to do it in the tub. I quess she will do it when she is ready. We shall see. I also have a 3 month old, could that have anything to do with it? Dd #1 is so busy doing everything else, she just doesn't want to stop and go potty. We shall see . . .

Cheers!
#7 of 82 Old 11-20-2001, 11:59 AM

has anybody introduced a younger tot to the toilet? my son is 13 months old, and seems to be somewhat interested. sometimes when he's in the bath, he stands up, makes the sign for toilet, looks down, and pees. so i know that he is conscious of when he is peeing. we bought a little potty that sits on the toilet seat, and he seems to enjoy sitting there (mostly likes to unroll the toilet paper!) although he hasn't produced anything on the toilet yet. i'm not trying to push him, just want to give him the chance if he wants it. he seems to have fun with it so far.

am i crazy or just naive to introduce him early?
#8 of 82 Old 11-20-2001, 01:14 PM

what I did with my daughter was let her run around with no bottoms on and put the potty seat in whatever room we were in. I would give her lots to drink that then ask her every 15-20 minutes if she had to go. After a few successes and lots of positive reinforcement, she figured it out. She was trained by 28 months. Of course she has decided that she still wants diapers at night... so things aren't completely perfect.

A good friend of mine raise 5 kids in Thailand and had them all potty trained by 15-16 months! Everyone thinks that she must have been a tyrant, but she is the gentlest person I know. She just did the same thing - no bottoms on, potty in every room, hardwood floors.

So I have decided that in the Spring when my son is 18 months, I'm going to start trying with him. I would have thought it would be too early then, but after talking with my friend I'm really excited to try it.
#9 of 82 Old 11-20-2001, 10:38 PM

We bought a potty chair that you can either sit on or take of the seat and put it on the toilet seat. My ds likes it on the real toilet so he can flush the toilet. He started telling me after he went potty in his diaper around 18 months or so then when dd was born (20 month) he quit for a while. He is now 2 years old and is starting to tell me and he sits on the toilet a little. I have a girl friends who ds is 4 months younger then mine and he is already potty trained. He quit wearing his diapers..they had to no choice..she also let him run around naked. We don't have that luxioury. Oh well I guess all in due time.
#10 of 82 Old 11-21-2001, 07:37 PM

I am excited to see all the different experieces here and I want to share mine. My son is now 26 months old and he was very into the potty this past summer. We let him run around naked and he rarely peed (sp?) on the carpet. Usually he would dribble and run to the potty and go. But whenever he had a diaper one he always went in that. Now that the cold season is here and I feel compelled to keep clothes on him there is no interest in the potty. Sometimes I wonder if he just doesn't want to go to the trouble of going on the potty because the diaper is so conveinent. Anyways I'm in no hurry so I guess I will just wait until he shows interest again. I think the potty books really help them understand (Aidan talks about Joshua and Michael from his potty books a lot) Christine
#11 of 82 Old 11-30-2001, 10:33 AM

It's great to know others have the same questions I have. My ds, 33 months, shows some signs of readiness for potty training. What I can't figure out is if he knows ahead of time if he needs to go. He'll pee in the toilet (with training seat or with seat up) before bath time and other times as well, but not consistantly. Last week I gave it a honest effort. He's thrilled to wear big boy underwear and will ask to wear them, but has no concern about being wet or soiled. We are expecting child #2 in Dec., so I've decided to just let things go as they are. We did introduce the Once Upon a Potty video, which he loves, but will smetimes shout "No Potty" when he puts it on.
#12 of 82 Old 12-01-2001, 10:49 AM

We have a kiddie potty for 24 month ds. He likes to play potty on it and occasionally pee before bathtime. My daycare provider, who has been doing it for 30 years, says that she waits until they are dry through their 2 hour naptime before she recommends actively starting potty training. Then she says to bypass those pullups disposables and go straight to the very thick training pants. She feels that they need to feel the urine or poo in order to understand the concept. (She doesn't meant that as punishment. She'd clean them up right away and keep on as usual.) She is a very gentle but straightforward woman, so I'm going with her advice in this case.
#13 of 82 Old 12-06-2001, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

I want to buy Emily a potty, does anyone have a recommendation?

Also, are there books or videos that will help ME teach her to go to potty? I'm not so much interested (yet) in books that will help her, although I'll take those recommendations too. I want to see a video of someone training their kid so I know what to expect.

She can't pull her pants down yet but she talks about the potty all the time and sits down in her chair and said, "Go potty"

thanks!
#14 of 82 Old 12-06-2001, 06:53 PM

Here is my experience with pottys. The most important thing for me was that it was easy to clean. (I have a boy) I went through three pottys and the good one came in the mail after I got pissed off and through the other two in the trash. So I never did use it. Anyway, I researched this area a lot and decided that the best one was a baby bjorn. The one I've seen is red with a white pot where the handle to remove it is also the pee pee shield for boys. There are only the two parts, so it is easy to clean. I ordered it through the internet but I can't remember where. It was kind of expensive, like $30, but I think well worth it, seeings with that the two wal mart ones I threw out were $15 each. The reason I know how good it was without actually using it is that they have two of them at the child and parent center that I volunteer at sometimes, and they are so simple to use and clean. My ds liked to take apart the first potty we had, all 7 pieces to it! The only hint I can give you for teaching her is to let her run around nekkid, preferably outside.

jtsmom
#15 of 82 Old 12-06-2001, 08:57 PM

we found a little blue potty at IKEA for $1.95! I bought it to keep in the car, thinking that would be helpful , just in case. We had the Sesame Street potty from Kmart at home. When this one made it into the house it became the favorite and the $17 potty moved to the garage. it's only one piece and I bet it's not too comfy for long sits (maybe this is why my dd won't poop on it - but I don't think so). Anyway, I have a girl and a boy may pee into it and have it come out the otther side since the basin is a little small. Good luck! Lisa
#16 of 82 Old 12-07-2001, 11:03 PM

jtsmom - I bought that Bjorn potty too, but have been having a little trouble with it. My son is 19 months so we just leave it out when he's having naked time and sometimes he'll sit on it to pee and poop. The thing is, when he goes to sit on it, he inevitably sits on the shield thing that pokes up and it must really hurt his penis because he screams! So, we had to turn it around so that thing is in the back. Maybe he just doesn't have the hang of sitting on the potty yet?

What do ya think?
#17 of 82 Old 12-08-2001, 02:15 AM

What about the kind that goes on the actual toilet, so you don't have to clean up? Dd is not the age to potty train yet, but she will be soon. I just hate the idea of having to clean out a little potty. Does anyone have experience with the kind I mentioned?

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#18 of 82 Old 12-08-2001, 03:01 PM

Oh, I have one of those too. Sam likes to sit on it. I don't know, but it seems like it may be harder to train young ones on them because in addition to having to get undressed, they have to climb up on a stool or be put up there.

I have another related question, to boys learn to pee standing or sitting? We let ds sit, but I'm not sure. Again, he's only 19 months, so we aren't officially training, we just sit him on the potty to start getting used to it.
#19 of 82 Old 12-11-2001, 01:35 AM

The Baby Bjorn worked best for my older daughter (younger daughter still too young). We used the blue (there are probably other colors) one piece one that simply sits on the floor. It was easy for her to use and easy for me to clean. We tried a couple others prior to that one, but didn't like them as much (too hard to clean and too high off the ground).
As for potty "training" I can't really say I did a thing. She just started using the potty herself. Children are all about imitating what they see and she, of course, has always seen us use the potty. Also, her favorite outfit is her birthday suit. When we're at home she is most comfy naked as a jay bird---always has been and still is. I have heard that being naked makes a child more aware of when h/she is needs to use the bathroom, so that may have had something to do with it. She was 18 months old when she started using the potty which I know is relatively early.
#20 of 82 Old 12-11-2001, 02:01 AM

1)make sure your child can see you using the toilet .
2)let your child run around naked at home.
#21 of 82 Old 12-11-2001, 03:08 AM

I would not recommend this to anybody other than Motherin Magazine readers, but I started potty training my baby before she could sit up. Actually, she started potty training me! She slept with us and we never did disposable diapers so even before she was 6 months old she would first squirm alot, enough to wake me up. I would then go to the edge of the bed, put another cloth diaper under her, and then change her wet diaper and go back to sleep.

I know why the books started recommending potty training at later and later ages. Or, I think I know why. I think parents took potty training too seriously. Or maybe the disposable diaper had something to do with it. With a disposable diaper the baby doesn't know it is wet.

So obviously she was not completely potty trained at 6 months. I just started putting her on the potty at around 7 or 8 months when she could sit up. At the beginnning, I got a 10% success rate, then it increased gradually slowly to 100%. Same thing with night training. Again, I would not recommend this method to parents who do not have the patience because this method takes months. Friends tell me this is crazy and that they don't have the patience and they don't want to work that hard. I tell them, I just didn't want to change so many diapers so the fewer I got the better.
#22 of 82 Old 12-11-2001, 05:55 AM

we started 'potty training' at 7 or 8 mos and at 13 mos we have days of mostly pottying, it has been so much fun and brought us closer

if you do a search on the net for infant potty training, elimination training/communication

or check out
http://boards2.parentsplace.com/mess...raining12.html
particularly look for the links to texts by laurie boucke

probably your friend in india did something like this, this is how the rest of the world does it.... i read about it here in the boards' previous incarnation

if the sites don't give you enough information do email me erathje@telus.net, we'd be happy to talk about our experience with e-t

ruth, it sounds like this is what you and your child figured out, that is wonderful. i think that it isn't any more work than changing diapers, and soon will be a lot less work! and we love it
#23 of 82 Old 12-11-2001, 04:14 PM
KFH

I also researched this one a lot. I also read up on it on www.epinions.com . I too was VERY big into the easy to clean feature. I was not about to get one with a pull-out-from-the-back-bowl that I would have to get in there and get pee and potentially, poop out of the cracks and crevices. Ick. I don't have time for that. I hardly have time to clean my own toilet.

From my research,I ultimately chose the 2pc. baby bjorn as well. I let my daughter choose the color. We love it. It is very simple and so easy to clean. It is about $30 (about 2x most others), but the fact that it is so easy to clean has saved me well over the added $15 in saved time. Oh, and we also turn the bowl around backwards so the sheild isn't a hindrance to sitting down. It's not made to do this, but it works just fine.

Ditto on the in-the-seat insert. I chose the baby-bjorn for that as well. It's also more expensive, but is guaranteed to fit all toilet seats, and is easy-to-clean hard plastic, with a nice, contoured hump in the front which catches most overshots (yes, even with a girl). I've never thought that those squishy toilet seats were very sanitary, whether they're for big people or little people. Ick. By the way, for what it's worth, I did read somewhere that it was healthier, muscle-wise to learn to poop by squatting with ones feet on a hard surface (the floor), rather than having them dangle (as from a big toilet). However, sometimes my dd wouldn't go on one, but would on the other, and for a while it was poop on one, and pee on the other. Now she's pretty much exclusively back to the potty. I know we'll eventually get years of use out of the insert though.

We've been happy with both.

I also want to put a plug in for "naked time." Or, as my dd calls it "nakey jakey!!!" She will, with very few exceptions, use her potty without reminding, if it's accessible, and she's (un)dressed for the occasion.
#24 of 82 Old 01-26-2002, 10:56 PM

my boy is only 14mnths, however, ive heard that boys just take longer on average. i dont know that going cold turkey will do much, except create more laundry
#25 of 82 Old 01-26-2002, 11:34 PM
Deb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It sounds like you're ready for them to be out of diapers, but they're not ready for it yet - frustrating, isn't it?.

Here's how it worked for us:
My son was 3.5 before he would finally agree to pee on the potty. Once he started, he never had an accident. He resisted pooping on the potty, however, and finally started doing that when he was 4.5. From the information I gathered (much of it here at mothering), many children will take their time and will do it when they're ready (especially boys for some reason). My son still wears a pull-up at night and has just recently started staying dry on occasional nights - he's 5.5 now. It was a process and he was in control. Especially with the pooping thing, the more I pushed, the more he resisted. I had to back off and let it go - then he decided when he was ready.
#26 of 82 Old 01-27-2002, 01:15 AM

My son was very anti-potty. He wouldn't even sit on his potty chair with his pants on. When he was 37 months I conveniently "ran out" of diapers one morning (I still had one left ) so I told him that I was going to let him run around naked until we had a chance to go to the store later that morning. I told him that if he felt like he had to go to let me know and I would show him what to do. He let me know and I showed him how to sit on the potty and pee. We have old carpet and I wasn't really worried about accidents. He went a couple times that morning before we headed to the store. I asked him before we went if he wanted to start using the potty all the time and wearing big boy underwear, or if he wanted to wear diapers again. He chose diapers. Unfortunately, when we got to the store their were virtually no diapers left in his size. The only ones in his size were Luvs, and I hate the way they smell. I told him that they were out of diapers and we would have to get pull ups instead. We got an off brand without the disappearing stars. I believe that whole trip was devine intervention. I still let him go naked at home because as long as he didn't have pants on he used the potty every time, but if I put a pull up on him he peed in it.

We were out of town one day and I ran out of fake pull ups. I stopped at Kmart and all they had were the real thing with the dissappearing stars. I always swore that I would never use those, but by golly, they worked like a charm. He LOVED them. We went through 3 packages of Pull Ups and then we were able to move him to real underwear with Pull Ups at night for a few more months. I'm not saying that he never had an accident, he had many and I had to start carrying extra underwear and pants for him when we went out, but he used the potty most of the time unless he was really involved in something and forgot. I pretty much let him go at his own speed and didn't push him to do anything he didn't want to do. He liked the pull ups and chose to continue to use them after we started. He liked that he could pull them up and down. I did make the commitment that once he decided he liked them that I wasn't going back to diapers. We would only move forward from there.

Of all of my friends children (I am talking more than a couple dozen children) I only know of one who was fully potty trained before their third birthday, but I know of several who have just potty trained and are well into the middle of their fourth year. My neice just potty trained when she started a new day care a month ago, and she will be four in May.

My advice is not to worry. If you wait until they are ready, you will save yourself a lot fo headaches. Look for the signs and let them run naked when you can, and the rest will come.

Good luck!
#27 of 82 Old 01-27-2002, 01:32 AM

Not a problem, Dana. I thought it was much easier just waiting until he was ready. A step sister started training her daughter (my neice I mentioned) shortly after she turned two (our children are five days apart). My son was trained six months before her daugher. I saved myself a year and a half of frustration by waiting. I'll give you a couple more tips if you want them. My son was urine trained in a month, but it took three months to be poopy trained because of what we call the "poopy incident." Those darn potty chairs are designed so that boys have to sit so far back on the seat to pee, that if they are pooping and sitting like they do to pee, the poop goes straight on the seat rather than in the hole. He was pretty regular so I usually knew when he was going to poop and tried to stay home, but I kept him in underwear and changed him after he would poop in them. I was afraid to confuse him by putting him in a diaper to poop. He did learn that it was uncomfortable and would want it changed right away. I did make him help me with the laundry (just putting it in and adding detergent.) Those potty chairs are great for girls, but they need a design change for boys. After about a month my son decided he liked to pee standing up. He was great at it and it made it so much easier for him.

FYI, about 75% of my friends kids have had a relapse in their urine training after we thought they had been trained for about a month. It lasts for about two weeks, and ends as soon as it started. My MIL has nannied for several families in her retirement and potty trained all the kids, and said that all of them did the same thing. It's pretty bizarre. If it doesn't happen, great, but if it does, don't worry, it's temporary.

If you ever need any helpful hints, or want to vent frustration let me know.
#28 of 82 Old 01-30-2002, 06:16 PM

Actually, I'm trying to decide if I should get a potty chair, or one of those seat things that goes on the big toilet. We have a tiny bathroom, so I would rather get the seat thing, but I read somewhere that they need to have their feet on the floor rather than dangling (?). Would a stepstool in front of the toilet work?

Ds is 21 mos and has started telling me when he needs to pee/poop, and I wasn't prepared for him to start this soon. I've tried sitting him on the toilet a couple of times, but he protests. Should I take this as a sign that he might prefer a potty?

Help!
#29 of 82 Old 01-30-2002, 08:06 PM

For my ds and several other toddlers we know, the flip-up seat that fits onto the potty is what they prefer. We have a little molded plastic Baby Bjorn one that he has never actually used. As you said, we just keep a step stool right next to the toilet and move it in front when he's using the potty. Good luck!
#30 of 82 Old 01-31-2002, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am feet firmly planted on the floor kinda girl. Baby bjorn makes a potty that is really low to the ground and only one piece. I refer to it as the squatty potty because they just sorta squat over it, which is thier natural position anyway. I figure learning to get your pants down and find the potty when you have to go is one skill and pooping in an unatural positon is another. One thing at a time. Of course I can't find one of those potties for my girly where I live and even on the potty we have her little feet don't touch the ground completely.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page