Recognizing alphabet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When did your LO recognize letters? DS just turned two and has been recognizing letters for about 3 months now. He will point to the letter and says its name or if you ask him to show you an "x" he will show it to you. Just curious. I don't know when his sister started doing the same thing.
#2 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 06:02 PM

my just two year old can point out a couple letters and can sing the whole song...(some letters only mommy can understand though lol)
#3 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 PM

This is one of my amazing DD's fortes

DD recognized her first letter, "G" at 18 months. By the time she turned 21 months I'd say she knew about all of them. "E" is "F" and "W" is "dub-dub".

She doesn't just let me quiz her, though. But, when she is in the mood, she just starts rattling them off and goes and gets her letter flashcards. ( I thought she would love them, and I was right.)

The cutest thing is she changes the "H" into an "I" and the "W" into an "M" by turning the cards around.

Now, at 22 months, she can say her ABCs (not sing, oh no, no, no. not my girl.) But she say, "ABCDEFG--ABCDEFG--QRSTUVWXYZ--Now i sing my ABCs."

I am thinking 30 months is the average, though. Everyone develops differently. Some kids just obsess over letters.
#4 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 PM

DS1 is 3 and started really being able to pick them out ~2.75-3 yrs old.
#5 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 PM

I think my oldest was 2 1/2, Aidan was 28-29 months and he may have known them before as he is a visual learner and at 34 mths knows and can sign them all. My 21 mth old points out a few every now and again but doesn't really know them yet.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#6 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 PM

Micah knew all of his letters by sight, plus some words associated with the letter (like apple begins with A) at about 26-27 months. He knew all of the sounds that the letters make by 32-33 months. He just turned 3, is now learning to sign them (has about 10ish that he can do, but can recognize more), and is attempting to write them (attempting...his A looks like a cross between a circle and a triangle with a line through it). He is *this* close to being able to read, but has not quite made the jump to understanding that a group of sounds make a word. He still cannot sing the song. He is getting closer, and can sing "Q R S T U V W X Y and Z" but everything before that is random.

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#7 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 PM

DD knew all her letters by sight before she was 2. and she is just now singing the song. I thought it was more important to know letters than song. She still gets a few mixed up every once in a while (like when she really doesn't want to do it).

Bigmomma
#8 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 PM

Oh, now I feel like the biggest slacker! My daughter doesn't know any letters! How are you guys doing this? We don't watch TV or have any alphabet books (mostly because as a child I thought alphabet books were incredibly dull). She won't sing anything, let alone the ABCs. She's 25 months.
Well, I can't get too hyped up about it. I am pretty laissez faire about all this stuff anyway, and I am sure she will learn it when she goes to pre-school.
#9 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 PM

Lina's recognized the alphabet for a few months now. She points at writing and cheerfully says letter names. She definitely knows that letters are letters.

Now, as for giving the letter name of the letter she's actually pointing at? Not so much. But she does "recognize the alphabet".

It's cool to see the range where kids pick that up.
#10 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 11:58 PM

My dd is 21 months and knows many of the letters, probably more than half of them. She calls W, "double." It's so funny. She does get some confused here and there if they look alike. She's just really interested in them. She has alphabet books and an alphabet leap pad but she like to point them out in books, too. It really took off when I got her those letters you can stick on the wall in the bathtub. She LOVES them. I've just been following her lead, if she's interested, I provide more exposure.
#11 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 AM

DS will be two on Thursday (!!!) and he knows... well, he knows them all sometimes. SOme he knows consistently. I'm not esactly sure how he learned them... DH brought back some ABC stickers for him when he went on a trip to the Lower 48 (they were on sale... he also got some sparkly dinoaur stickers that have been a big hit), and we've been playing with them. He also knows the song (though q-r-s comes out "skewer ess" ) but will only sing them wearing his "ABC hat," which is actually the detached hood from his winter coat. We're learning very quickly not to question his quirks .

I didn't want to be that overbearing parent who teaches kids things way too early, but... one day I wrote his name on a picture he had painted to send to Grandma, and told him it spelled "Isaac." After that, any string of letters or numbers said, "Isaac," according to him. He would point to them and say, "Iiiiiiiisaac" like he was reading. So... we showed him a few more words (Mama, Daddy, Loki <--the dog's name), and he just kind of learned them.

I'm really torn now (and maybe I should post separately), because I'm NOT "that" parent. We didn't set out to teach him words or letters... CERTAINLY not before his second birthday. And, while he hasn't ASKED in so many words, when he started pointing at words and "reading" them, I sort of followed his lead. But I feel almost embarrassed that he knows them.

I might be overthinking this a little bit .

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#12 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenope View Post
I am thinking 30 months is the average, though. Everyone develops differently. Some kids just obsess over letters.
30 mo (2.5yo) is still very early to recognize/name the entire written alphabet.

According to PBS.org, at age 2-3:
■May become familiar with the A-B-C song and sing it, but without knowing that the letter names recited label individual graphic designs. By the end of this year, some children (20%) recognize and label a few letters, especially the first letter in their own name, and perhaps other letters in their name. By the end of this year, many children (70%) do not know the names of any letters. Also by the end of this year, a few children (10%) know most uppercase letters.

So 10% by 36mo.

age 3-4 (so 36-48mo)
■By the end of this year, many children (40%) can name 5-10 letters, some children (30%) know more than half of the uppercase letters, a few children
(20%) can name virtually all uppercase letters, and a few children (10%) still know fewer than 5 letters. Many children confuse highly-similar letters, such as "M" and "W," or "E" and "F." Children often refer to numbers as "letters." Children often notice specific letters in environmental print (e.g. on road and shop signs).

So 20% by 48mo

age 4-5
■By the end of this year, many children (60%) know more than half of the uppercase alphabet letters and 5-10 lowercase letters, some children (30%) know all uppercase and many lowercase letters, and a few children (10%) still know fewer than half of the uppercase letters. Children notice letters in familiar words and the environment.

Still well under 50% knowing all letters.

It isn't until the end of age 5 (ie, kindergarten) that we get the majority of kids knowing the full alphabet.
■By the end of this year, almost all typical children know their uppercase letters and most lowercase letters. For many children, recognition and naming of uppercase is very rapid by the end of this year, as is the naming of many lowercase letters.
#13 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 AM

That makes me feel so much better--thank you! I guess I've got three years to get it together
And she does think every written word is her name, solipsistic little thing.
#14 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 AM

This is one of those threads where you get a skewed response because those people whose kids have learned their letters early are happy to respond and those who haven't don't feel any need to respond.

My son is 3 and is a bright, curious child. He doesn't even know that letters exist! We don't have any alphabet books or toys and I don't point them out to him. He knows about numbers but he doesn't recognise them. I will be quite happy if he doesn't learn his letters until grade one (waldorf) but realistically, he will probably pick them up sometime before then. OP, sounds like your son is quite advanced to me.
#15 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I didn't post to make anyone feel bad if their LO didn't recognize letters yet. DS seems to be very interested in them-so we go with it. I was simply just curious. Thank you for the input.
#16 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 08:51 AM

DS is also really interested in numbers and letters. He's 26 months now, and it started about 4-5 months ago. Without my even realizing it (I certainly don't drill him or do flashcards or anything) he picked up the alphabet and the Hebrew aleph bet. We talk about letters when he wants to, but I don't push it.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#17 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
This is one of those threads where you get a skewed response because those people whose kids have learned their letters early are happy to respond and those who haven't don't feel any need to respond.
Yup.

That said, I usually trust the PBS site, but I think kids of involved parents who read alphabet books and have alphabet toys or create other alphabet exposure usually know most letters by 4ish or certainly 5. Among kids I know, it's pretty unusual, though not unheard of, to enter K without knowing all the letters. 3 is a pretty common age to know some in this group. Two and below, still unusual.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#18 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Well, I'm one of those proud mama's whose child learned the alphabet early. By 17 months he could recognize the entire alphabet and find letters when asked. By 20 months he can sing the ABC song, although gets a little confused at the end "Now I know my ABC...d,e,f," and starts the song over. He also knows all the lower case letters too. He can say 1 to 10 in English and Spanish. Although we are still working on counting objects vs just saying the numbers.

We do work with him - lots of ABC books and toys. He just loved learning his ABCs and he would get excited (or we would) when he recognized his first letters. It was just infectious!
#19 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico'sAlice View Post
30 mo (2.5yo) is still very early to recognize/name the entire written alphabet.

age 3-4 (so 36-48mo)
■By the end of this year, many children (40%) can name 5-10 letters, some children (30%) know more than half of the uppercase letters, a few children
(20%) can name virtually all uppercase letters, and a few children (10%) still know fewer than 5 letters. Many children confuse highly-similar letters, such as "M" and "W," or "E" and "F." Children often refer to numbers as "letters." Children often notice specific letters in environmental print (e.g. on road and shop signs).

So 20% by 48mo
Still 50% know at least half of the uppercase letters by 48 months. But, really thanks for the facts. I have been to that site before. It is very comprehensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot View Post
This is one of those threads where you get a skewed response because those people whose kids have learned their letters early are happy to respond and those who haven't don't feel any need to respond. .
So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot View Post
My son is 3 and is a bright, curious child. He doesn't even know that letters exist! We don't have any alphabet books or toys and I don't point them out to him. He knows about numbers but he doesn't recognise them. I will be quite happy if he doesn't learn his letters until grade one (waldorf) but realistically, he will probably pick them up sometime before then. OP, sounds like your son is quite advanced to me.
I consider our family to be waldorf inspired. We don't do TV or electronic toys. We cherish simple open ended toys made from wood and natural fibers. I try to maintain a rhythm. We take nature walks, and I strive to not rush my child through life.

But, when DD started pointing to letters, there was nothing I could do. Her first letter was "G". (There was a huge "G" on a pair of her gap jeans) Then she started pointing to other letters and calling them "G". We'd correct. Bang! She knew most of the letters.

So this puts us off-track the waldorf style education.

But, I cannot take letters away from her. Books are the most important things in her life besides mommy and daddy. She can be read to nonstop and has been doing so since she was 6 months old. We are reading early reader chapter books with barely any pictures to her now.

This is just her temperament. She is not high energy. She is not a climber. She is not mischievous. She is not outgoing. She is an introvert, a watcher, cautious, calm, unbelievably imaginative, and ridiculously verbal.

(I can hear her in the playroom right now doing all the voices of her people family, a baby crying, the mommy saying "I love you", etc. It is adorable.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
I'm really torn now (and maybe I should post separately), because I'm NOT "that" parent. We didn't set out to teach him words or letters... CERTAINLY not before his second birthday. And, while he hasn't ASKED in so many words, when he started pointing at words and "reading" them, I sort of followed his lead. But I feel almost embarrassed that he knows them.
Interesting. I personally would follow his lead. But, I would draw the line at sitting him down and doing formal lessons (really, any kind of lessons, formal or informal.) Answer his questions. Keep it light. Change the subject.

I wouldn't fret. Reading a couple of sight-words is far from reading. Just try to maintain his love of print until that age where he has all the skills needed to learn how to read.
#20 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 PM

DD is 34 months and has been able to identify most uppercase letters for a couple months. Thank you Dr. Seuss . Her favorite book a couple months ago was Dr. Seuss's ABC book. She sings the ABC song, but LMNOP is really mumbled.
#21 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenope View Post
But, when DD started pointing to letters, there was nothing I could do. Her first letter was "G". (There was a huge "G" on a pair of her gap jeans) Then she started pointing to other letters and calling them "G". We'd correct. Bang! She knew most of the letters.
This is how DS has been. He sort of half-figures things out on his own and then we're stuck in a weird place... correct him and be "teaching him stuff before he's ready," or just let him keep thinking every printed word says, "Isaac," (side note: I wish I could be that joyfully self-centered )

Quote:
I wouldn't fret. Reading a couple of sight-words is far from reading. Just try to maintain his love of print until that age where he has all the skills needed to learn how to read.
That's kind of our plan. It's kind of exciting that he's putting two and two together (kind of a mixed metaphor since we're talking about letters, not numbers ), and I guess I'm following his lead, even if he got the original inspiration from seeing me write his name and then telling him that it SAID his name, and even if he's not old enough to outright ask for instruction.

*shrugs* Complicated stuff, this parenting .

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#22 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 01:55 PM

My DS is 21 months and when he sees any writing he says it's the "BCD's" (as opposed to the "ABC's"). He can name just a couple letters - the ones that are most significant to him - e.g. "D, Daddy." WE were getting out of the car at the library last week and he noticed that across the street there was an entry gate to a park and the top of the gate was a semi-circle, looking like a D flat on its back. He pointed and said "D Daddy!" Other significant letters he can give an associated word, but not necessarily name the letter - e.g. when he sees the letter G he says "GaGa" which is his word for Grandmom, says "mommy" for M, "Pop Pop" for P, "Harmony" (his cousin) for H, etc.

Yesterday he kept saying "Read that book" over and over so I would keep reading stories. I had his magnadoodle next to me and i picked it up and wrote "READ THAT BOOK." As I was writing BOOK he said "B-O-O." I was surprised and still am not sure that he really said it.

When I was teaching Kg most kids entering Kg knew the names of all uppercase and lowercase letters and many of their sounds. Some kids knew most uppercase and perhaps a few fewer lowercase and a handful of sounds. I should say that this was at a private school where most students had well-educated involved parents.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#23 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 02:34 PM

My daughter is now 27 months and has been interested in letters since about 18 months. She's always been big into books and reading, and then someone gave us a set of those fridge magnet letters. When I put them up and told her that we could spell ANY WORD WE WANTED TO (!!!!!) she was literally vibrating and squealing with excitement. You could just see her making the connection in her brain that letters make up words. And so it began.

She recognizes on sight many words, knows the sounds that most letters make and picks them out on the fridge (and vice versa), and picks out letters she knows when she sees them on signs, in books, etc. Sitting on the floor drinking hot chocolate and spelling words is one of her favourite activities. She has memorized a number of her books and likes to "read" them to us, and just this week has been asking what particular words say. We've yet to make the leap to sounding out words and putting letter sounds together (I don't know how to make that leap), but she's so into it I have no qualms about teaching her before she's ready, as she's clearly ready for it at some level.

She's been so highly verbal right from the start that this has become normal to me. She's the kind of kid who knows, and uses, words like 'vermiculite' and 'garam masala' in a conversation. I hope her love of words and language carries on in her life.
#24 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 03:29 PM

My daughter will be 3 in a few days and can recognize about 10 letters. She is only interested in learning words and not letters. So she recognizes Everly, Mommy, Daddy etc... but when she sees and E, M or D, she will say it is Mommy, Daddy, Everly. At the same time if you ask her to point to an S she will do it and then say the word she associates with it. She can recognize Mommy and Madelyn and few other words that start with the same letter.

If I try to "teach" her the alphabet she has no interest. I don't blame her, I guess for her it is more fun to learn words that have meaning to her then abstract letters.

She recognizes what words are and asks what they say too. I think kids learn in all different ways and that perhaps DD is learning a little backwards but it works for her.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#25 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 PM

Knowing letters and words are skills we tend to place a high value on, and my dd was interested enough in letters and numbers to learn them all by 20 months or so (truly obsessed, she was), but she JUST in the last couple of months learned shapes, and she still slips up at times, and colors still really stump her. She is 30 months old. A coworker's son just turned 3 and doesn't know many letters, but he can name any car they see on the road -- can tell you if it's a coupe, a hatchback, an SUV, a truck, etc, and whether it's Ford, Toyota, Honda, and so forth. I'm learning that interests are what drive these precocities, and one isn't really much more meaningful than another, but it is fun to brag on the one your particular child is blessed with.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#26 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 07:09 PM

DD could name all of them before 18 months. She was verbally fluent quite early though (full sentences before then as well) but she didn't start to sing the song until around 2 years. In fact at almost four she still can't remember it all. She can read simple sentences and pointed out to me that the alphabet is sung to the same tune as twinkle twinkle little star so I don't see why she needs to memorise the song

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#27 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My son had dev. delays. He wasn't that interested in letters, but could say the alphabet clearly by about 4. Just before kindergarten at age 5, he still didn't recognize some letters when they were upper/lower case. He struggled a bit in kindergarten, and handwriting was extremely difficult due to his delays, sensory stuff and fine motor issues. I drilled him hard to learn the sight words in kindergarten and by the very end of the year, he got it. I was so worried about 1st grade so I signed him up for reading camp at the local college. First day of camp, he read a 50 page chapter book to me out loud, cover to cover. I had no idea he could read because he shows no interest in books or anything academic! Now, at the end of 1st grade, reading and reading comp is his best subject! Writing doesn't come as easily, but I think it will, eventually. We have a tutor for that, and everything else! So, even with all his delays and issues, he is a strong reader! Every kid learns at his own pace.

We used SOUNS for my daughter and it worked very well. The key is to start very young. She was reading before she crawled or said her first word! She was speech delayed, but I would hand her an O and she would say "AH". I would hand her an S and she would say "SSS"! It is pretty amazing. She knew like 6 or 7 letter sounds. Wish I stuck with it! Now she is learning the real names for letters instead! UGGH!
#28 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 PM

All three of my kids have been able to recognize letters from a very young age. I would say all three by two had most of them down. My youngest was around 18 months or so when I realized he knew them - he knew them all by sound rather than letter name, though. He wasn't really talking at all, but he knew the letters.
#29 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 PM

DS has known what letters are for some time now, and if he sees words will say "C, O, D.." etc. He is very active but also loves to be read to. He has an alphabet book that was DH's when he was little, and that has been a favorite book since he was about a year old. He also has letters on the fridge. He just started pointing out "Q" yesterday (Q!?) and saying "Q!" which is the first letter he has recognized consistently. He does know that "D is for Daddy" but sometimes he says "B" is for Daddy. He is 20 months.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#30 of 31 Old 05-04-2010, 09:11 PM

I've been following my 2 year old DS's lead on this one and he's only now just showing interest in letters (maybe the last month or so) He sees signs or words and calls them all "abc's". He's pointing to letters and sings the entire abc song at this point so I'm sure letter recognition is just around the corner.

He's been able to sing the song for about a month (but was speaking sentences before 18 months)

He doesn't watch t.v or have electronic gadgets teaching him. Just genuine interest in whatever books or toys have the abc's, so if he's into it, great, if not, that's okay too.

I think for him he's taken more interest in numbers & colours. He can almost count to 20 and loves pointing out colours. Our little ones are all so very different.

I agree that a wide range of normal, like with anything, is what we will see. By the time they leave elementary school, no one can tell who knew the alphabet first

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page