My 16 MO Used the Potty Right Away. Beginners Luck? Now What?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know NOTHING about potty training and have done nothing to start it or plan for it. I did buy a potty yesterday because it was cute and I decided we'd need it soon. So, this morning I took off her diaper, and sat her down on the potty next to me while I peed. And she peed in it. Right away. I was really excited. I cleaned it out and then she wanted to get back on it. She sat on it and pooped. Seriously?!

So, then I let her run around the living room naked for a little bit. Not twenty minutes later she started peeing again (this time on our carpet) and saying "Uh oh! Uh oh!" and I picked her and up ran her over to the potty and said "Pee on the Potty." Now she's back in her diaper.

What have I gotten myself into?
#2 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Update -- she went and sat on it again, with her diaper on, when she was peeing....
I seriously don't want pee and poop all over my carpets, but I don't want to hinder her learning to use the potty either, if she is ready and wants to. HELP!
#3 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 AM

My DS began doing this a few months ago, so I just offer him to sit on the potty a couple times a day. He pees everytime. If i know he is going to poop I will sit him on too. And any time he asks I sit him on. I'm not rushing/pushing it at all with him, and he doesn't seem ready to be full-time potty trained. But he is having fun with it! Just make it something fun for now, and follow her lead.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#4 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 AM

Sorry to hijack, but what kind of potty did you get? I want a cute potty for my DS!
#5 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow! Is she ever on the right track! Grab the book "Diaper Free Before Three." It's a really quick read and has all sorts of great tips.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#6 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

NOTHING has ever been easy with her so far, so I don't think I'm going to get a "free pass" with potty training. I will check out that book, JessieBird!

thyra, it's the Baby Bjorn potty. I got her the pink one. She's really proud of it and it cracks me up.
#7 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 PM

wow your LO is on the right track...but my little one was like that too when i first bought her potty until i actually tried to potty train and she wasn't having any part of it...she goes when it suits her...I will let her run around bare bummed too (she loves it) but we do end up with some accidents...she loves wearing "big girl panties" but doesn't care if they get wet, same as pull-up...So i'm not rushing it or pushing her when she asks to go i gladly help her!!
#8 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 PM

She's already telling you when she needs to go?? Get some padded undies so she won't spray pee everywhere, but you can get her to the potty fast when she asks. And OMG lucky!!

Seems to me like she likes doing stuff at her own pace and by her own idea. Lucky lucky lucky you that using the potty is one of her ideas!
#9 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, she hasn't actually told me when she needs to go. I just took off her diaper and sat her down on the potty and she peed in it (3 times today now!). I'm trying to teach her the sign for potty today.

Padded underwear is a great idea. I'll see how the week plays out and then maybe order them if it continues to go this well.

She's been going around the house singing "pee-pee pee-pee..."
#10 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 PM

Sounds like she gets it so I would go with it. My dd just turned 2 and trained herself over the weekend. I've been noticing signs of readiness for about 4 months but I had such a difficult time with ds that I put it off. It really just depends on the kid! We use gerber training pants and undies as I could not find any thing else that fit, it is all too big. Then if a little pee gets out I can just change her to a new pair.
#11 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacMama View Post
Thanks everyone!

NOTHING has ever been easy with her so far, so I don't think I'm going to get a "free pass" with potty training. I will check out that book, JessieBird!

thyra, it's the Baby Bjorn potty. I got her the pink one. She's really proud of it and it cracks me up.
We have two baby bjorns, a bigger one, with a removable cup to wash, and a smaller one, that's one piece. They're shaped in a very inviting way, so DS wants to sit on it all the time!!

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#12 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 PM

I'd run with it, personally. My DS was only 4 months older when he PL'd. Definitely get some padded undies or cloth trainers & then you don't have to worry about your floors, but she'll still know when she's wet.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#13 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 10:39 PM

This is sort of how my dd got out of diapers. I would say, though, to not stress on pee and poo getting places. If you really want her to be able to use the potty at her age, you need to remove obstacles - and a naked bottom and a potty in the room you spend the most time is the easiest way to do it.
#14 of 17 Old 05-06-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
I'd run with it, personally. My DS was only 4 months older when he PL'd. Definitely get some padded undies or cloth trainers & then you don't have to worry about your floors, but she'll still know when she's wet.
Where do you get padded undies? Wal-mart?

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#15 of 17 Old 05-06-2010, 12:19 AM

NAK

My DD was PL'd by 20 months we started just like you are, putting her on and "going with the flow". We kinda tried at 14 months, but by 16 it was most of the time. She still wore a pull-up at night until age 3, but then informed us she didn't want to be a baby and wear a diaper like her brother.

We did also do a LOT of nakey-butt, but we have wood floors, so iyt wasn't a big deal if she missed.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#16 of 17 Old 05-06-2010, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Well, now she's peed in the potty like 6 times with almost no effort on my part. At the times I would normally change her diaper, I just sat her on the potty before I put the new one on. She peed within seconds each time.

Off to order the padded undies....
#17 of 17 Old 05-06-2010, 02:24 AM

Not to be negative, BUT, my dd did this around that age and I thought she would potty train early. But then she lost interest. I didn't want to force her so I just let it go. She still goes on the potty sometimes, but not much. I'm hoping to pick it back up in a month or so, right before her 2nd b-day.

You LO may keep interest and stick with it. That would be awesome.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page