Mothering Forum banner

I'm looking for a mythical cracker

931 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  crunchy_mommy 
#1 ·
I'm not sure this is quite the right spot for this question so, mods, please feel free to move this if you need to.

My DD is obsessed with my crackers and hummus right now but she is dairy intolerant and can't have the crackers I'm eating. I know crackers are hardly the world's most nutritious food but I would would be thrilled for her to eat more hummus so I've been trying -- and failing -- to find DD a cracker that is dairy free and crumbles sort of like a graham cracker. Before I throw away seven more varieties of sharp, dairy-less crackers, does anyone know if a cracker fitting my description even exists?

#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CassnBeth View Post
I'm not sure this is quite the right spot for this question so, mods, please feel free to move this if you need to.

My DD is obsessed with my crackers and hummus right now but she is dairy intolerant and can't have the crackers I'm eating. I know crackers are hardly the world's most nutritious food but I would would be thrilled for her to eat more hummus so I've been trying -- and failing -- to find DD a cracker that is dairy free and crumbles sort of like a graham cracker. Before I throw away seven more varieties of sharp, dairy-less crackers, does anyone know if a cracker fitting my description even exists?
you could make your own. on allrecipies.com you can search for recipes w/o certain ingredients.

maybe this one? http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lavash-...ad/Detail.aspx

eta: or this one http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oatmeal...rs/Detail.aspx

#3 ·
Look at a health food store, they have lots of choices!

We usually get gluten free ones (ds isnt allergic to gluten, but is allergic to dairy and oats), and they seem to never have dairy in them.

We also get flax crackers from our veggie store, and onion 'bread' which is really good (both are raw vegan!)

#4 ·
We make crackers....
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 egg
1 tbsp oil
garlic powder and salt to taste

Mix together until crumbly, then add small amounts of water, 1 tsp at a time, until it forms dough that is able to be rolled out. Roll it out and cut it into 1 inch diamonds or use your favorite small cookie cutters, or cut them like graham crackers. You can add any other spices you want. We've even added puree'd veggies and more flour to get the right consistency. They are yummy!

#5 ·
Trader Joe's has several crackers like that, the ones we get are in an orange box and look kind of like Ritz crackers (but smaller) -- oh I think they are called Multigrain or 12 Grain or something? (Yes, crackers are not the healthiest thing in the world, oh well, he loves them and I could think of much worse!
)

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Robin* View Post
We make crackers....
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 egg
1 tbsp oil
garlic powder and salt to taste

Mix together until crumbly, then add small amounts of water, 1 tsp at a time, until it forms dough that is able to be rolled out. Roll it out and cut it into 1 inch diamonds or use your favorite small cookie cutters, or cut them like graham crackers. You can add any other spices you want. We've even added puree'd veggies and more flour to get the right consistency. They are yummy!
Great recipe. Do you bake them in the oven?

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
That cracker recipe sounds good, I would love to make my own, I wonder if they would come out OK without the egg? Maybe with flax seed instead??
I've made the egg free and flax does work well with these.

#12 ·
I made the homemade crackers last night (with flax instead of egg) and they were surprisingly good!
I'll admit I had my doubts! I want to make them again with dehydrated veggies. They were a little denser than I'd like, I was thinking maybe rolling out the dough thinner & then folding it into layers before cutting? To make it flakier?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.