January 2003 Toddlers! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 113 Old 06-02-2004, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow, a couple days ago it was like something just clicked for Lindy, and she really "got" colors. She has these plastic eggs that come apart and have different colors and shapes inside, and she now understands that the halves have to be the same color to fit together. She suddenly seems interested in having us tell her what color things are, and she recognizes red, yellow, green, and blue! Maybe some others, too. She's even saying blue ("boo") - her only B word at the moment.

I see she's not the only one who hasn't mastered puzzles and shape sorters. I was thinking a lot of kids were probably doing them easily by now, and that if Lindy couldn't, it probably meant she'd be as bad at spatial relationships as I am.

She loves books, and will sit and listen to one after the other for quite a while. She gets restless if there's too much text on one page, but will stay still for some fairly long (for a toddler) books, like The Cat in the Hat Comes Back. She's getting really picky about books, though. She may reject 10 or 20 books I offer before I hit on one she wants. She'll love a particular book for a week or so, then she'll get bored with it and push it away if I pick it up. We've been making regular trips to the library to keep her supplied with fresh books.

She loves being outside, too. Digging in the garden is a favorite activity. And she's really enthusiastic about picking and eating food from the garden, ever since I showed her how we could pull up radishes, then take them in and wash them, cut them up, and eat them. All we have that's ready to eat now is spinach and purslane, but she'll happily eat a bit if I tear it off for her, then ask for more. I always thought having a vegetable garden would help kids like eating vegetables, and it looks like I was right.
#62 of 113 Old 06-02-2004, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby girl, who is no longer a baby, was born 1.26.03

What she is doing is talking a lot, she was a late walker. She just started to walk like a month ago. She's lately been actually "telling" me what she wants...of course it takes me a while to catch on! Usually what she wants "out" of something she'll touch my arm, look me in the eye, and say "out". Imagine my suprize! She can stick her finger in her nose, which she does often. It's cute that your baby has a tiny little nose! She gets shy around strangers lately and even once hid her face in my leggs. She nurses between three and five times within 24 hours. She finally FINALLY stopped nursing in the middle of the night last week. She loves playing outside and the dirt, while we garden. I stay at home and we learn together. She loves books so we read a lot. We do flashcards (because she doesn't have siblings to play with her) and she loves flashcards. She is learning colors. Blue is the all purpose answer! Everything's blue! She can count to ten. She knows the actual numbers. We have those magnets on the fridge and i'll tell her to get a number and she'll bring it to me. She knows shapes as well. The ones she can't pronounce, she can point to when asked. She helps me clean. I learn so much from her as well. The most important thing I've learned is unconditional love. I never knew I could love someone so much. Being with her all day, when she goes to bed, I just miss her so much. I always get worried that I do a bad job raising her but DH tells me how beautiful of a person she is. That makes me feel better. She only eats certain foods...the same day in and day out. SHe likes strawberries, rice cereal, silk yogurt and cheese. That's pretty much it . I didn't realize there were so many babies born this month!!!
#63 of 113 Old 06-02-2004, 11:44 PM

wow! i haven't even read the person before my post until after i posted! My girl and her girl are just alike!!! They should get together and play
#64 of 113 Old 06-03-2004, 10:44 AM

Just wondering if anyone has a cat? My parents have a cat that frequently catches animals. Desmond gets really upset when the cat brings a dead animal back to their yard. I'm not sure if he knows (at this age) that they are dead and that's why he is upset or what. He is very sensitive about the cat catching chipmunks and birds and such even though in most other respects he's all rambunctious boy. Just curious to see if anyone else has any experience like this.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#65 of 113 Old 06-03-2004, 11:19 AM

My son doesn't like animals that eat other animals on animal planet. We watched a show called Animal Miracles yesterday for about 5 minutes, and there was a part where a dog attacks a cat (re-enacted) and my lincoln was really bothered by that. He kept signing doggie bite cat, nice cat.

i just attributed it to the fact that we are constantly emphasizing that we are nice to animals, and maybe in his innocent baby mind, all animals are nice to each other, too?

Harsh lessons for such little guys, right?
#66 of 113 Old 06-03-2004, 02:23 PM

Poor Lincoln! I don't think Dylan even grasps the mean vs nice concept. She does say "Niiiiiiice." when she touches an animal, but that is because I have taught her how to pet instead of pull fur! She has only seen dead bugs and crabs, but didn't get it that they were dead, she was so happy that they didn't run away from her.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#67 of 113 Old 06-10-2004, 12:36 PM

hi jan mommies!

So glad to see you all again! I have been so busy and havent really had time to come here lots. Making transatlantic move not easy...even back to your former hometown! So many paperworks...finding jobs etc.

My second one is such a sweety. He is sooo calm compared to my first who is a spirited one. But he is hitting a lot. ( my mom says of course he hits...hes a boy!) I dont believe in that! She didnt offer suggestion how to stop it though...been trying endlessly for two months...its getting worse and first child dd is getting frustrated and now wants to hit him back.

otherwise...he been going through Popcorn teething phase. He had 8 teeth and the last two months been painful as 8 more teeth came in! Poor guy... I had no sleep! It was hard! Whew. Now they are all in. (again different as my dd two teeth would come at a time)...nothing like what ds went through.

He loves to walk everywhere...dd (4.5) rather take stroller and my youngest 18 mos is walking everywhere! so funny. (well dd didnt walk till 18 mos).

Also he is a big eater...he is so slim and small and eats like a horse! Eating all the time. Goes to fridge...sign 'eat'...I open fridge he knows what he wants and points to it or sign for the food he wants. With big grin on his face takes food to dining area. Wow. but a messy eater too!

(again different from dd who didnt eat till 14 mos or so...and she was so big like budha and people told me to stop feeding her so much haha...it was just breastmilk).

My ds nursing pattern varies. depends what we do, his teething, colds, etc. He is still strong nurser though. Whew...at 10 month thought he was going to wean...he was refusing to nurse in public at that time...now at 18 mos still strong nurser. one never knows.

he is so much into imagination play. Learns from his big sis. Loves to cook at the lil homemade stove, puts blocks and wooden playfood into the pots and gives to me and say 'hum hum' haha. He loves to play hide go seek with us and sis. Loves to find anything he can ride on (big sis trike and tries to push it). Pushes big sis in doll stroller. Playing at beach, in water, in garden (loves to eat the dirt). Loves to play with rocks and throw them. His favourite!! Loves slides.

He wants to learn how to go down the stairs forwards...like us. Not backward anymore (having mastered learning how to go up and down stairs just before his first birthday)

So that is our update.

stephanie former tandem nurser
#68 of 113 Old 07-16-2004, 11:54 PM

hows everyone doing?

now 18 months old the lil ones??

mine is now starting to run, climb, and do very much toddler stuff. Playing with wooden puzzles inside forms, throwing balls, colouring, painting, swimming etc.

Never a dull moment here.

He is also signing and talking new words daily.

So different from my first who just started walking at 16-18months.

stephanie
#69 of 113 Old 07-17-2004, 12:39 AM

Well, the first thing that comes to mind at the moment is the fact that Ian has perfected the screech...my ears are still ringing... :LOL

On a happier note, he is running and laughing all the time, eating lots, dancing, signing more, DONE teething (til the 2 year molars), learning a few words, and lots of animal signs, and just becoming a little boy.
#70 of 113 Old 07-17-2004, 01:37 AM

Darn..just lost a whole post.

DD's busy busy. Playing with her stacking blocks alot. She can build quite a tower. Says "big, big" as she's doing it. Loves to play in the car, climbing around and pretending to drive, fiddling with the radio buttons, trying to do up her carseat, etc.

Nursing all the time still although she's quite happy to spend 5 hours with dh without nursing or getting any breastmilk. When I'm around though, it's nurse, nurse, nurse. Still up quite a few times in the night to nurse. I'm toying with the idea of nightweaning, but it will be hell so I'm putting it off. The few times I've tried to restrict her nursing at night she's cried for long periods. She's crying in the bedroom with dh now. She seems to need to cry before she falls asleep lately. It doesn't usually last too long though. I hope this stage will soon pass though. Maybe when her teeth are finally through. She's cutting the last 2.

She understands long complicated sentences with multiple instructions. I'm constantly amazed at what she understands. Still now talking much, though. I figure she's storing it all up until the day she starts talking in sentences!

She's started walking down stairs holding on to the railing. Quite proud of herself too. What a big girl!!
#71 of 113 Old 07-17-2004, 01:45 AM

Island mama: my ds started the crying before bed too, so we started more of a bedtime routine. Within 3-5 days he stopped his fits before bed (mostly).
#72 of 113 Old 07-17-2004, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

New things Lindy is doing lately:

-- insisting on walking down the stairs frontwards, holding our hands, instead of backing down the safe way. (Her legs are barely long enough to allow her to step down.)
-- rejecting foods she used to like - carrots, oatmeal, yogurt, cheddar cheese, bananas
-- asking to have the same book read several times in a row
-- climbing! I'm sure a lot of you have been dealing with this one for a while, but she's just recently started climbing up on furniture, and suddenly the house has a lot more potential dangers.

She achieved a minor milestone just last night: She can now deliberately close her eyes. Up till now, she hasn't seemed to understand how to make that happen, but last night DP asked her, "Can you close your eyes?" and she did it!

One of her favorite things these days is picking and eating berries. She's also enthusiastic about checking for eggs in my sister's chicken house. Oh, and hiding under sheets and blankets, or having us run off and hide. "Hide" is one of her most frequently used words.

She's still not a big talker. She has maybe 30 words, and hasn't started putting two words together yet. She also hasn't ever said more than one syllable of a word, until the last few days, when she's started to say "mama" sometimes instead of "mom."

She still nurses about half a dozen times a day, and a bunch of times at night. One night not too long ago, she slept for 5 hours straight, but hasn't come anywhere near that record since. I get plenty of sleep even with all the night waking, but sometimes I wonder if she's still going to be waking every couple of hours when she's five. And what will I do if she is?
#73 of 113 Old 07-17-2004, 07:30 PM

Dylan is a toddler! I don't know how else to discribe her! :LOL
She is so curious and so fun. She loves the pool, and is so fearless in it. She likes to jump off the steps and tread her way back to the surface. Sometimes I feel like I can not keep up!

Has anyone gotten their period back yet? No sign of mine.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#74 of 113 Old 07-17-2004, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

No sign of my period yet, either. My skin is starting to get really oily again, though, like it used to be before I got pregnant. I wonder if that means I'll start ovulating again soon. I've been trying to gently encourage Lindy to nurse less, but without much success.
#75 of 113 Old 07-17-2004, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8flmom
Has anyone gotten their period back yet? No sign of mine.
Ahem...yea, mine showed up a few months ago...

it's gone now.

:LOL
#76 of 113 Old 07-18-2004, 08:05 PM

Oh! Congratulations!

My toddler is sick. she has a high fever and had a febrile seizure the other morning. I am hoping she feels better soon, and that it is not a UTI.

#77 of 113 Old 07-18-2004, 10:23 PM

Thanks! s to your little one!
#78 of 113 Old 07-19-2004, 04:34 PM

Thank you. She is slowly and surely getting better. the fever was down to 100 today.

#79 of 113 Old 07-19-2004, 10:35 PM

Wow, I haven't seen a Jan. 2003 thread in forever!

My dd sounds very similar to the other toddlers. She is very opinionated and verbal and says "big" words now like guacamole (one of her favorite foods) and helicopter. But she is way into tantrums and that is hard to take. It's mostly when she is hungry or tired, but she will lay down and scream and all that. I'm just trying to stay calm when it happens, especially in public, and just sort of ride it out.

She's nursing twice a day, after I sort of weaned her down to 4-5 times several months ago. Every little bit she would cut out a nursing, and I am sad but okay with it. I have Raynauds so every single nursing is still painful, so I'm glad to be this far. She is sleeping a lot lately which is a nice break...we'll see how long it lasts.

does anybody else "nurse" stuffed animals and such? DD has recently been bringing her bears to bed or her animals, and when she wakes up in the morning she wants me to nurse her bears first. It's pretty hilarious. I've now nursed a Care Bear, a build-a-bear, a hippo, and a horse. gotta love these toddlers!
Peace.
#80 of 113 Old 07-19-2004, 11:32 PM

Beth -- :LOL about the nursing bears -- I think I'm to blame for starting that at my house. When I got , I bought him a little doll at a garage sale & occasionally started "nursing" it. Now every so often, he will bring me the doll (swinging by a foot or head) and point to my breast while making the "nursie" sign. Soo cute -- he makes sure he sees bare breast & nipple too -- none of this just over/under the shirt business! I'm just glad he doesn't look close enough to see it doesn't latch on!
#81 of 113 Old 07-19-2004, 11:42 PM

island mommy...I tried to send you a pm. Not sure if you got it. I wonder if are living on same island.

Hugs
stephanie
#82 of 113 Old 07-20-2004, 02:21 PM

I'm sort of to "blame" for the nursing animals too. DD stays in our church nursery and there are baby bottles for the dolls in there, and she really got into giving the dolls a bottle. I was sort of shocked as she never got any bottles, so I started telling her to give the baby "ma" instead. But she only wants me to give it to them as of yet.
#83 of 113 Old 07-20-2004, 04:25 PM

I have "nursed" dolls, stuffed animals, fairie statues, shoes, drill bits...

Any thing and everything.

Dylan occasionally nurses her stuffed animals, but more often than not she wants me to do it instead.

Cinnamonmom, I am excited you are having a HBAC!!!! A good friend of mine had one 5 days before Dylan was born and says it was the most wonderful experiance despite being 72 hours long!

#84 of 113 Old 07-20-2004, 10:56 PM

Thanks, Evergreen (took me a while to get the new name!) -- I'm really excited too.

:LOL about the nursing drill bits!
#85 of 113 Old 07-21-2004, 11:04 AM

So many new posts in this thread since I've been here! Let me see...I haven't gotten my period back yet either. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Ds nurses about 4-5 times a day. That includes his possible one nursing session during the night. He's not big on stuffed animals and I've yet to nurse one!

He's definitely on his way to becoming a typical toddler and it really wears me out sometimes. He is quite the little climber, runs everywhere and just basically is always on the move. He seems to pick up a new word everyday, but certainly isn't as advanced as some of your little ones when it comes to talking. He has a grand total of eight teeth, still only two on the bottom. I guess it will be a while until they all come in unless they plan on breaking through at once (and I hope not!).

I took him to the ped for his 18 month check up a couple of weeks ago and found that he is down to the 5% in weight. He was 21lbs 12 oz. and almost 33 inches long. I guess the charts are different for boys than girls and it seems like a lot of the Jan babes are girls, but does that sound too small to people? My dh and my mil have got me a bit paranoid about it now (the ped didn't seem too worried). Dh is 6'4" and skinny, and I'm 5'7" and skinny. I think that and the fact that ds was sick for the first two times in the months before his check-up have something to do with his low weight. Sorry to ramble on, I guess this has gotten under my skin more that I thought!

#86 of 113 Old 07-21-2004, 12:17 PM

I wouldn't worry about it at all -- my ds is about 23 lbs, and only maybe 30 inches (at most). My dh is 5'7" and almost "stocky" and I'm 5'0" and could be considered quite "curvy" when not pg. Remember that those charts were made during a few year time period in one small area of the country where almost everyone was formula fed, lived in similar socio-economic conditions & were pretty much all "white." As long as he looks healthy & is acting healthy, I wouldn't worry AT ALL!! Someone has to be in the lower & higher percentiles!
#87 of 113 Old 07-21-2004, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the reassurance, Carolynn. I've been telling people about the charts, too, when I defend my son's size. He is definitely healthy and energetic. I don't look forward to hearing all the comments when the cousins get together at mil's house in Sept, though. He has a cousin who is not quite a year old. She is ff and weighs more than him. I certainly don't think that makes her healthier than him, but mil will surely compare them to no end.

#88 of 113 Old 07-22-2004, 01:48 PM

Dylan is 21 lbs.

She is skinny, but chubby, it is hard to explain! :LOL

She is certainly active and healthy so that is all I am worried about!
<---------------- Someone catch her!!!

#89 of 113 Old 08-30-2004, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Lindy said her first two-word phrase today: "Blue bowl." Woohoo! She's just recently become willing to try to imitate the initial sound of a word if I encourage her, and she has gone on to say some of those words again on her own, so her spoken vocabulary is increasing, but she's still not a big talker.

The collection of words she says regularly strikes me as a bit quirky: Mom, Dad, more, on, in, dry, hot, blue, book, bread, bowl, hat, foot, O (as in O cereal), dig, cut, hide, roll, cuff (as in "cuff up my pants"), and hang. Plus the names of some letters.

Her favorite toys right now are some shoelaces that came in a basket of beads for stringing. She's not quite ready to string beads, but she likes to run around in circles while holding the laces, or drape and wrap them around various parts of her body, or use the ends to poke things, or hang them carefully over the edge of a milk crate while saying "hang, hang." She also likes to pull herself up onto the arm of the sofa or the edge of a chair and hang there with her feet off the ground, saying "hang, hang." She's fascinated by the concept of hanging.

She's starting to get a couple of eyeteeth, but they don't seem to be bothering her in the least. I thought those were supposed to be the worst teeth of all.

So what's new with the other kids?
#90 of 113 Old 08-31-2004, 09:48 PM

WooHOO!!

Dylan talks non stop. She counts to 10 and says ABCs with help. She likes stringing activities. She has regained her appitite and eats constantly! I night weaned her last month and she moved into her own bed then.

I hav also gone back to school and she goes to a babysitter 4 days a week. SOmedays are good, others we both break down when I leave her.

She is fully finished pottylearning at home but wears a dipe at the sitter's and when out. I keep forgetting to put the potty in the car, and she gets upset if she has to go in her dipe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page