January 2003 Toddlers! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 09-07-2004, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Goodness me Evergreen, your Dylan is a superstar! Counting to 10, saying ABC's and potty-trained!!! I'm not jealous or worried about my dd but I am constantly amazed at where your dd is at. I think you should start looking into schools for geniuses. Seriously.

DD's language has really exploded in the last month. Saying loads and loads of words..too many to count. Says lots of 3 and 4 syllable words including motorcycle and Kristiane (pronounced Kris-ti-ae-na in Danish). Often puts together 2 or 3 words although I'm not sure I can call it as sentence as she only uses verbs and nouns.

We just returned from 3 weeks in Denmark and she did great. However, because we were staying with relatives the whole time I nursed dd many,many times at night. I didn't want her to cry and wake anybody up. She has become quite used to the all-night boobie bar. Can someone please tell me a positive nightweaning story?

Nursing is wild these days. I exposed myself to more of dh's relatives than I care to remember. And to most of the airplane passengers. Anyone else in the same boat?

DD now consistently tells us when she has done a poo but refuses to have anything to do with the potty or tell us in advance. So much for 8 months of ECing!

Loves doing her Ravensburger puzzles, reading books and pushing around her baby stroller or shopping cart. Her doll is still her favorite toy by far though. And now she can even say Joanna, which is what dh named the doll.

FWIW, DH's cousin that we stayed with in Denmark has 2 girls. Both were only saying about 5 words each when they turned 2. Now they're both fluently bilingual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 113 Old 09-07-2004, 01:13 PM

Desmond is as active as ever. He continues to climb and jump and run nonstop. There are many more words in his vocabulary, but he tends to be quiet and serious around unfamiliar people. Balls, vehicles (cars, trucks, trains) and blocks (especially megablocks) are his favorite toys. He still loves collecting rocks, acorns and pinecones, and would pass up most any toy to be outside collecting.
We're nowhere near potty training. I decided to take the no training kind of approach. He's not interested and I'm not pushing it. If he showed any interest perhaps we'd be farther along.

He is 20 months old today. When I just see and spend time with him, he seems like the perfect 20 month old. But when I have other children to compare him to, he seems young for his age-small and not too talkative. He still nurses to sleep and when he wakes up, 4-5 times a day.

After all that, I guess I don't have too much new to say! Glad to hear that your little ones are all doing so well.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#93 of 113 Old 09-08-2004, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Mommy
Goodness me Evergreen, your Dylan is a superstar! Counting to 10, saying ABC's and potty-trained!!! I'm not jealous or worried about my dd but I am constantly amazed at where your dd is at. I think you should start looking into schools for geniuses. Seriously.
Thank you so much! I am blushing here! I know Dylan is very precocious, and I am worried that when we have another (Still no af) I willl campare him or her too much to Dyl. I have gone back to school. I am typing this in the computer lab! Dylan goes to a babysitter's 4 days a week. It is tough on me but she loves it. Somehow she manages to get all the toddlers singing and counting. So, even though I attempted to teach Dyl her ABCs and did teach her to count to 3, the babysitter takes the credit for the rest!

Quote:
Can someone please tell me a positive nightweaning story?
Dylan has soemwhat regressed, but here is one. When she was 18 mos I decided to go back to school , and I knew that would be impossiblw without a full nights sleep. Dh took her in the spare room the first two nights and parented her back to sleep. Then she came back to bed and when she woke up I told her "Nursies go night-night" She got it. and was nightweaned within a week. However, on her iown initiative she had begun to nap in the crib so we tried it at night, and that is when she really began to sleep without waking. I don't know if you want to break the cosleeping. I didn't but she did. however, Dyl woke up 2x last night,a nd I let her nurse the second time. So who knows what is going on there.

Quote:
FWIW, DH's cousin that we stayed with in Denmark has 2 girls. Both were only saying about 5 words each when they turned 2. Now they're both fluently bilingual.
That is awesome! I wish I kenw another language to teach dd. My dad is from Germany, but he never even talked to me in his native language.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#94 of 113 Old 09-08-2004, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wow, Island Mommy, it wasn't long ago that our dds seemed to be at about the same stage with talking, but now all of a sudden yours is way ahead of Lindy! Lindy isn't even close to being able to say 3 or 4 syllable words. In fact, even one whole syllable seems to be more than she can manage a lot of the time. With a lot of the words she's been trying to say lately, all she does is make the initial consonant sound.

It's interesting to see how difficult the mechanics of speaking seem to be for her compared to a lot of other kids, but I'm not a bit worried about it now, since she understands so many "advanced" things. She knows colors, most capital letters, and lots of letter sounds. Today we found that she could correctly point to her left or right foot (hand, ear, arm, etc.) when we asked her to, but I don't know if that's an "advanced" thing or not; I really have no idea when kids typically learn left and right.

We do EC, so Lindy has been out of diapers since she was 8 months, but she's still not too close to being really potty trained, since she isn't very good about telling us when she needs to go. She's starting to let us know more often, though, especially with poop.

I've been able to cut back on nursing a little (but not enough to bring back AF.) Lindy almost never asks to nurse now when we're away from the house. The fewest times we've ever nursed in a day has been three, but that's only happened once or twice. She still wakes a lot at night, and nurses back to sleep every time. But she's starting to sleep for longer periods more often (once lately I think she even slept for 6 hours - either that, or I didn't remember waking up.) So I have this possibly unrealistic idea that she'll just gradually move toward sleeping through the night without deliberate nightweaning. We'll see.
#95 of 113 Old 09-09-2004, 01:31 AM

Well Daffodil, FWIW, my dd has no idea about colours or letters yet. She can only identify the 1 and 2 in numbers.

I was talking to my friend last night. Her dd is 7 days older than mine and so far all she says is Mama and Eh. I went to a LLL meeting today and there was a little boy who just turned 1 year who was running around everywhere. His mom said he started walking at 9 months. There was another boy who was 16 months old that seemed nowhere close to walking.

It's just so interesting how they all do things in their own time.
#96 of 113 Old 09-09-2004, 01:45 AM

Hi! I'm new and have a January '03 baby so just wanted to jump in and say 'hello'!!!
#97 of 113 Old 09-09-2004, 12:21 PM

I feel like I should move to BC...we could have an awesome Jan. 2003 playgroup!

An update on my girl: She is one of the talkers. And I mean, she is saying everything in more or less full sentences. She walked kind of late (13 months) but she makes up for it with her mouth. Her latest hilariousness is that when she wants something (salad dressing bottle, wrench, you name it) is to say, "I NEEDS that!" It cracks us up.

She just started school (see another thread) since I am working more, and she seems to be loving it. It's Montessori, three mornings a week, and the teacher brings her baby to school which dd loves. She is already singing the little songs!

We are heavy into tantrums though. She will sometimes not nap, and then it is explosive for the rest of the afternoon. I've just been trying to be calm and safe with her.

She nurses twice a day now, and I think she could go on for years like this! After I weaned her down to 5 times a day, she has cut out the other feedings herself. I still have Raynaud's and nursing is still painful, but not as bad.

Anyway, there's my novel. I'm glad this thread gets resurrected once in a while!
Peace.
#98 of 113 Old 09-09-2004, 12:47 PM

Onthemove, nice to see another BC girl. My sister and her family live in Kitimat so I've been up your way a few times.
#99 of 113 Old 09-09-2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil
It's interesting to see how difficult the mechanics of speaking seem to be for her compared to a lot of other kids, but I'm not a bit worried about it now, since she understands so many "advanced" things. She knows colors, most capital letters, and lots of letter sounds. Today we found that she could correctly point to her left or right foot (hand, ear, arm, etc.) when we asked her to, but I don't know if that's an "advanced" thing or not; I really have no idea when kids typically learn left and right.
Uhh, I think I was 6 YEARS old when I learned right and left, in fact i still mess it up, so yeah, I would say that is VERRRRRRY advanced!

D. only knows A, B and D (but she calls it Dylan!) for letters, and is not interested in learning anymore. But she does love animals! I found a pack on animal flashcards and she knows them all (including armidillos, whales, dolphins, seals, pandas, koalas). I would have to say they are her favorite game in the whole world. She will point to the deck adn go "Monkey!" until I give them to her.

She knows pink, blue, and yellow (once again the babysitter taught her the colors, I wouldn't have ever thought to teach her this and expect her to catch on!) As much of a tomboy as I always was, her favorite color is "pink" and everymornign when I ask what she wants to wear she will usually say "My pink dress".

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#100 of 113 Old 09-10-2004, 05:25 AM

hi all!
oceano is definately a boy...has a word for every vehicle known to man. his only number is 2 (he points at different objects going 2 2 2 2) ok, he says 1 for 'give me one' and 5 when he wants to slap hands and 3 when he wants to be swung between papa and me. mostly i think he is clueless with numbers. he also doesn't know any colors or left and right. he is great with body parts, in english and spanish. his pronounciation of all words is horrible (as bad as my spelling!) i'm ecstatic that last month he changed from saying 'boobie' to 'nurse' on his own and within 2 days. 2 weeks ago he said 'park play' when he wanted to go play at the park, 'car ride' and 'why-yo see' when he wanted to see the caballo (horse), no word combos since. he does that sort of thing. took 3 steps at 10 months, then not again till he walked at 11.5 months.
i thought his ec'ing was going horribly due to his developmentally appropriate negetivism, but now he's doing great. when in diapers or anything on his botton half he just pees/poops away and sits in it forever with no word, but when naked around the house he tells me or doesn't resist being cajoled into sitting on his toilet. last week he went to go poop all by himself! only 1 wet/dirty diaper today, but usually 2-3. he is dry at night 90% of the time, even though we still nurse all night, and much of the day!
ok, i haven't posted in a while so i have run on too much...sorry!
love to all of you and yours
#101 of 113 Old 09-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Anna is on a roll. I love watching her play. She's all about moving her animals from one spot to another (her little wooden animals, care bears, and other assorted small figures). She loves to lay them down and tell them night night and then loudly yell wake up to them and stand them up. It's very silly. She's finally figured out those small peg puzzles and likes to do them... but she'd rather stand those small little pieces on their narrow bottoms and make them listen to the speakers of her music box??? They occassionally line up to watch tv too. She LOVES books, especially the kid-length ones like golden books (I'm so sick of the pokey little puppy), curious george, cordouroy, etc. She's obsessed with birthday parties and sings happy birthday (in her own way) to every body. Any object can become a party hat and she blows a lot to pretend blowing out the candles.

She's counting to 15 (!? - mostly when going up steps and also just out of the blue) and has associated the number with the word and learned how to point and count. I'm thoroughly impressed since it's not something we're "working" on. She knows her ABC letters through G (that's all the foam letters I can handle in the tub right now!). LOVES her foam bath numbers and letters from Target! Anna just started enjoying playing with her play kitchen and likes to cook. She helped me make muffins the other day and ate a handful of flour (ick!).. she liked it? Her eating is improved, but her weight has gone down. She's 21lbs 1oz (sadly, we own a baby scale to obsess over) and slowly gaining. We just returned her to her full reflux med (prevacid) dose and her eating is much much better.

Talking has been fun. She did her first 3 word combo today (cracker please mama) and is slowly ramping up her intelligible language. She has full conversations with us, but I have no idea what they are about! She likes to pretend to sing too . She just learned "no" two weeks ago and thankfully hasn't abused it. She's a "thank you" monster and says it all the time. She'll surprise us with a "you're welcome" and we remind her about "please". We've a tv family (sad, but true) and she loves her Bear in the Big Blue House, Sesame Street, Hi-5, the movie Aristocrats, and occassionally the Wiggles. She adores being outside and taking walks and we're slowly working on how to be nice to our pets.. she constantly yells at them to "get down" (wonder where she got that? ). Anna just moved into her own room for the first time ever this week. She's finally taking a bath by herself (as in, without me in the tub too!) and is in her twin daybed and seems to be fine with it. We're still trying to adjust to her not being so close. She LOVES the big big slides at the park and insists on going down on her belly (which resulted in rug burn once... now I always remember a tuck in or snap shirt if we're heading to the park!). That's my girl!
#102 of 113 Old 09-18-2004, 12:18 AM

Anyone else's babe have a complete fit if you don't have your breast in their mouth within 3 seconds of them waking up? I can't believe my dd. If she wakes up and I try to pick her up or pat her back she just starts screaming and kicking. She won't let me hold her at all. There's nothing I can do to get her to stop crying besides nursing.

I'm not really asking for advice but I'm just curious if other breastfed babes this age do the same thing?

We are nowhere near nightweaning because
a. she is unconsolable if I don't nurse her
b. if I leave and let dh do the parenting I'm worried she'll feel that I've abandoned her and permanently psychologically scar her for life (sarcasm!) but somewhat true.

She has a bad cold and last night she was up coughing and spluttering for almost 4 hours. I'm exhausted...but then I'm always exhausted. Somebody please tell me I'm over the hump...surely she'll sleep through the night by the time she's 40 months old!
#103 of 113 Old 09-18-2004, 12:21 AM

I don't know about 40 months

But, I can assure you, it will be by 40 years!!! :LOL

#104 of 113 Old 09-18-2004, 07:27 PM

I am in the same boat!!! I am tired all the time, and my son WILL NOT be settled back down without his bah-boo. He's 20 months. Sigh.
I'm with you, though ...
#105 of 113 Old 09-19-2004, 04:21 PM

yah, same thing...but i don't find mornings that bad...oceano starts a long non-stop nursefest as morn approaches, but i just try to keep him from wiggling enough that i can get a few more winks, then when he's finally UP up we go get breakfast. Night is worse sometimes...the last 2 nights i spent over an hour nursing him to sleep and i wanted to get back up and hang out with papa, so i was none too patient...ah the guilt of expressed frustration...
#106 of 113 Old 09-22-2004, 01:03 PM

Oh dear, no night-nursing horror stories right now! We start nightweaning in a couple weeks! Ian usually does pretty well when there is nothing wierd going on (new bed, new tooth, people visiting, visiting people, too long nap, no nap, ....). On the good nights, he wakes up at 2am and nurses right back down, but I also co-sleep with him from that point, around 5:30 or 6am he nurses on and off until we get up for the morning. On other nights he will nurse most all night on & off (did I mention I have no milk -- just a little colostrum that came in about a week & a half ago?), but there is usually something wrong -- I'm starting to think it's his (cow)milk sensitivity -- I think it might give him tummy aches or indigestion or something.

He blows me away with how "grown-up" he is getting every day. At 6-10-12-14 months I worried sometimes as others talked about all the things their child did, while mine still clung to me much of the time. Now he wanders around the house playing in his different "areas," and has TONS of fun with the two kitties we brought home recently.

When he wants someone he will tug on their hand, or push on their legs & grunt as he tries to make them stand up, and he has successfully began to use his sign for "up" instead of whining and clinging to my legs when he wants to be picked up. He has a decent number of words...mama, papa, bubbles, ball, pei-pei (or pee-pee??) for pizza, out, "gol" (like gosh, but gol -- my dh was teaching him to say "gol mama!" when I did something), so he runs around saying it with the perfect inflection! :LOL I know there are a few more, but they all mix in with his signs and animal sounds, so I forget. He has 5 or 10 signs, and picks them up easily, but he has AT LEAST 20+ animal sounds -- rooster, chicken, cow, sheep, goat, duck, dog, cat, horse, bear, lion, tiger, monkey, snake, elephant...he also has signs for some he couldn't seem to "get" the sound for (or I didn't know the sound for!) -- frog, giraffe, camel, pig, squirrel, ladybug (my favorite!)...there are more, but I can't remember them all!

I'm finally running out of clothes for him -- my sister gave me most everything I "needed" from 0 - 18 months, and gifts filled in anything missing. I'm trying to get into the habit of picking up cheap 24 month & up clothing now (my sister bought her daughter's entire wardrobe for next summer at target for $40!), so I don't have to pay full price later, kwim?

There's so much more, but I haven't even started my post-vacation catch-up, so I'd better get something done!
#107 of 113 Old 09-23-2004, 06:13 PM

Tried to assess whether dd was ready for nightweaning last night. I slept in the spare room and asked dh to console her at her first nightwaking.

I gave it 10 minutes then went in. DD was sobbing and screaming even though DH was curled up right beside her, holding her and rubbing her belly. I can not stand the sound of my DD crying when I know there's something I can do.

I guess she is not ready.

Evergreen, what was your experience on the 2 nights your dh slept with your dd?

She looked so big today sitting at her little chair and table drawing circles on the paper. She told me to put my seatbelt on in the car yesterday! I took her to "Gym and Swim" yesterday. I thought she'd be hanging back because she's usually somewhat shy around other kids but she was in there like a trooper. Loved running under the big parachute and going down the slide. Did really well in the pool too, wanting to float on her tummy and jump off the edge into my arms. And that was only her 3rd time ever in a swimming pool. (I am nervous about all the chlorine!)

At the Gym and Swim there was one other women nursing her toddler in the pool. The babe was around 2 I think.

Is everyone here still nursing?
#108 of 113 Old 09-23-2004, 10:19 PM

No, she never cried for more than 5 minutes, and it was whiney crying, not screaming.

She also decided she was going to start sleeping in her crib at that time, so I think she was ready. It doesn't sound like your dd is. She is now nightwaking once (which I can handle) and cosleeping about 40 percent of the time (again I can handle it as long as my partner isn't in bed as well.!)

#109 of 113 Old 09-23-2004, 10:21 PM

We are nursing strong. We beleive in CLW, so we will probably be nursing for a long time to come. I haven't gottten my period back yet, though, ans it would be a good time to ttc!

#110 of 113 Old 09-23-2004, 10:57 PM

No AF for me either and I have been thinking about another child. However, not a possibility and probably won't with this one nursing as much as she is!
#111 of 113 Old 09-24-2004, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It's interesting that there are at least three of us who still haven't gotten AF back after 20 months. I never imagined it could take this long. I'm glad I'm not the only one, or I'd be worried I was starting menopause or something.

Lindy's starting to say a lot more words - except they're not really words, they're mostly just consonant sounds. It's kind of funny. "Sss" for sandal, "ttt" for tail or table or toilet, "ccc" for car or carrot or carry. She doesn't even try to include a vowel sound most of the time, and if she does, it's usually just "uh", like "guh" for green or gray. Seems like a peculiar way of learning to talk, but I figure as long as she's making some attempt to say the words, she's on the right track.
#112 of 113 Old 09-24-2004, 04:02 PM

Dylan sometimes lieaves out the vowels on words, sometimes says them.

I think I may have ovulated this month and there is a small chance of a I am waiting til October to find out.

#113 of 113 Old 09-25-2004, 04:50 AM

I'm new--sort of--I haven't been on line much for a long time. My darling Jackie was born 1/31/03. I'm envious of all of you who still have nusing toddlers--Jackie decided back in June that she didn't want to nurse anymore--what a difference from my almost 6 year old who would probably still be nursing if she had her way!! She amazes me everyday with everything she does and how she helps me to understand what she wants. She wants to be independent and do everything herself and she is picking up new words everyday--the most surprising was a few weeks ago in the car it sounded like she was saying "die, die" which had us puzzled--I finally realized she was saying "sky" It is wonderful isn't it!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page