January 2003 Toddlers! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 113 Old 03-09-2004, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So what's new with all the other January 2003 toddlers?

Lindy started walking as her main form of transportation (as opposed to just taking steps sometimes) at about 12 1/2 months. What she's NOT doing is talking! I was always sure (for no good reason) that she'd be an early talker, so it bugs me more than it ought to that she's not saying any definite words at all right now. A couple of months ago, she was saying at least half a dozen things that seemed like they were probably attempts at words, but then she stopped. I figured she was just concentrating on learning to walk and would get back to talking once she'd mastered that. I'm still waiting . . . oh, well, she understands a ton of stuff and is incredibly cute and fun. I love her more every day.

One of her favorite things to do right now is play hide-and-seek. Sometimes she "hides", and sometimes we do (in a very obvious way.) She also likes looking at a book that shows a toddler doing a different thing on each page (sitting, stomping, running, etc) and doing each thing herself. She likes having her teeth brushed, too!

We do EC, and she's been diaper-free since 8 months, but we started having way more misses around the time she was learning to walk (which everyone seems to say is normal.) Lately things are getting better - no accidents at all for the last three days.

Okay, here's a silly question for you all: Are your toddler's nostrils big enough for his/her fingers to fit into them? Lindy's aren't, and my sister says this is unusual. I haven't been around enough other babies myself to know if she's right.
#2 of 113 Old 03-09-2004, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for posting this thread, mama!

My dd is 14 months (1/5/03). She is emphatically walking everywhere and insists "walk!" if we're trying to carry her. She still likes the Ergo but the sling is not working very well anymore Obviously she's talking too, and says all kinds of words now. She does some sentences like "Bye bye dada" or "Hi, puppy!" but nothing more complicated than that. She does do lots of animal sounds which is soooo cute!

She definitely can fit her finger in her nose, lol!!! It's one of her main pasttimes. That, and screeching when I change her diaper or clothes or brush her hair, or anything having to do with grooming. She looks like a little ragamuffin most of the time.

She nurses about 5 times during the day and is nightweaned.

Do any of you brush your kids' teeth already? I haven't done it but she has a lot of teeth, so I guess it's time. What toothpastes do you use, if any??
Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing about your little ones.
#3 of 113 Old 03-09-2004, 12:43 PM

dd is 13.5 mo now. Dosn't it seem like the first year went by fast? I havent brushed dds teeth yet either. does anyone use those flouride drops? I have put them off. dd is running around like crazy. I cant set her down in the store, otherwise she'd be off like a monkey. She likes to hug dolls and even strange kids. At the mall one day, and I stopped at the kid play area to let her cout of the baby jogger. and dd just walks up to this little girl and huggs her. it was so sweet. they were inseperable for about 20 minuets. i am just blown away when i see her do things like that.
been thinkin latley about weaning. especially during the night. right now dd sleeps half the night in her crib. but then joins me when she wakes. im so tired of sleeping in one position at night. any advice?
#4 of 113 Old 03-09-2004, 01:01 PM

Glad to see a January thread going again!

I can't really say exactly when Desmond started walking. I guess somewhere around 13 months. He will still allow me to carry him in the sling or the ergo, but it depends on his mood. A lot of times he really just wants to walk. He isn't talking too much either. He says "uh oh" a lot, which is awfully cute. He also makes some animal noises and says "bu-bye" and such.

He loves to be outside. I'm looking forward to the true arrival of spring, so we can spend more time outside together. He also loves to be surprised and he still loves lift-the-flap books. His all-time favorite thing to do, though, is to pull and eat mama's hair every chance he gets.

He still nurses probably about six times a day, that includes once in the middle of the night. I've been thinking about night weaning, but haven't felt the need just yet. I still don't have af back and am wondering if his night nursing has something to do with that, even if it's only once a night.

He still only has three teeth! His second bottom tooth is just about to come in and it is rather crooked. I'm wondering if that will pose any problems. I recently bought him a tooth brush. I just wet it and let him play with it mostly. It keeps him busy while I change his diapers. I've brushed his teeth a couple of times while saying "brusha brusha" and smiling and he seems to like it. I'm afraid to use tooth paste just yet because he is big on swallowing (when we go to our swim classes he is always trying to drink the pool water- yuck!).

What else...he's had three haircuts already. He has a lot of straight hair and it seems to grow awfully fast. I wish I could jsut let it go, but it hangs in his eyes when it gets too long. And, yes indeed, his finger does fit in his nose.

Looking forward to hearing what's going on with other January babies.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#5 of 113 Old 03-09-2004, 02:00 PM

Hi.

I've been posting in the Nov/Dec 2002 babes thread just because this one wasn't happening. Maybe I'll post in both! The other one is fun because I hear about what dd will be doing in the next month or 2.

Daffodil, I completely relate to the talking thing. DD understands so much that I was sure she'd talk early. She said Hi and Dada at 9 months and used them appropriately, but since then, nothing. She walked at 11 1/2 months (started Jan 1st which is nice and easy to remember) and is practically running now (also starting to climb which is rather nerve-wracking). No animal sounds either.

But she can identify almost everything in the books we read consistently and she follows instructions without gestures. I think one day she's just going to start talking in sentences! Maybe not until she's 2 though.

I am so envious when I hear about babes who wake once/night. DD still wakes approx. 5 times/night to nurse, although that is a huge improvement over the 10 times/night we were experiencing when she was 8 or 9 months old. She passes alot of gas at night so I guess she's waking because she's uncomfortable. I've learned to sleep pretty well even with all the nightwakings although I'm sure that when I actually get a full nights sleep I'll be amazed at how good I'll feel.

DD loves, loves, loves her dolly. A lovely plastic thing that is usually naked. She's rarely without it.

She's nursing alot these days. I don't see weaning in our future anytime soon.
#6 of 113 Old 03-09-2004, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Marieangela, three haircuts! Lindy is still a long way from needing a haircut, or having enough hair to look like a girl.

We've been brushing her teeth for about a month now, in the evening as part of getting ready for bed. No toothpaste, just a little water. I brush them, then let her hold the brush and stick it in her mouth while I take off her clothes and put her pajamas on.

We decided not to bother with fluoride drops, since it sounds like they most likely don't even do anything for the permanent teeth.

She's nursing about six times most days, not counting all the times she wakes and nurses at night. Last night she had what I consider an excellent sleep night - she fell asleep somewhere between 9:30 and 10:00 (a little late for her), and woke at 1:00, 2:00, 4:00, 6:00, and 6:30, then got up I think around 7:30. The night before last was also an excellent sleep night, and she's starting to occasionally be able to get back to sleep without nursing, so I'm optimistic about the future.
#7 of 113 Old 03-09-2004, 04:11 PM

Hey ladies! I've been posting in the Feb '03 thread since my ds was born 1/31... Glad to see this one, though!

Ian has started walking places more & more -- but still in a "look at me" kinda way. He stands for almost all his dipe changes -- my dh is entertained when I'm crawling around trying to chase Ian to get that last snap done up as he's running/crawling away. :LOL Don't worry about the nose thing, Daffodil -- my ds can't fit his finger in his nose either -- it fits just fine in mine, though. : He loves to demonstrate that particular fact at every opportunity. I'm guessing that once he loses a bit more of the baby fat on his lil fingers he'll find his own nose.

Ian "brushes" his teeth every morning with us -- mostly he chews on it and shakes his arm up & down trying to mimic us. Sometimes I put some baby toothpaste on his brush -- not even a pea sized amount, though. And I don't worry about flouride -- it's in the water here.

He isn't talking much -- he asks for "pa-pa" (what dh likes to be called ), and does mama as well. He also says "nigh-nigh" -- not always when he wants to go to sleep, but when he is at least a little bit tired and wants to lay in his bed and nurse. I also just noticed that he does our sign for "all done" -- so cute. He would be climbing more if he wasn't so short, I think -- he's about 28 inches -- his friend who is 5 1/2 weeks older is about 5 inches taller & is able to reach all the things Ian is still just attempting. Thank goodness! :LOL

He's nursing about 5 times a day -- wake up, nap time, dinner time, tired but dont want to go to bed time, and night-night time (6:30 - 8). Then he is up around 10 - 10:30 and 2 to nurse, and up around 6 - 7:30. If I'm not in bed with him at 2, though -- he will keep waking up every 10 - 45 minutes...he does that at 10pm sometimes just to make me crazy, lol. His first molar came in a few weeks ago -- I am NOT looking forward to any more of THAT! Ah well...

Lets see...oh, he has a wonderful (not) habit of having a screaming/whining fit whenever he doesn't get his way, or he gets scared, etc. Like if I dare to remove him from the the washer after 5 minutes of opening and closing the lid & playing with the knobs. It doesn't help when I mess up his naptime -- like putting it off 2-4 hours since I'm out shopping... ...still paying for that one!

He plays by himself more often now, but when he's clingy he's MORE clingy now, as well. He loves lift-the-flap books as well, and balls & slides! I bought him one of those little outside playskool climbing things with a little slide. He LOVES it -- I pull it outside with a piece of cardboard under it (it's on the driveway) and he can climb up & slide down -- then climb up the slide & slide back down. He can also crawl in the bottom -- in and out the holes. Although all the slide stuff may just be because he loves it outside so much.

I have been contemplating nightweaning -- but not until at least 18 months, and I'm not sure yet. I was at Dr. Jay Gordon's site & may eventually try that. I already have af back, but I'm not sure I'm fertile yet. I was 3 days late last month, and 6 days this month -- I'm getting tired of buying pregnancy test, lol! I'm ready for another one now, though. Anyone else with me?

We're going to Disney on Thursday (with my sis who has older kids) and I'm a bit nervous -- he isn't diggin' the sling so much anymore -- he wants to get down. We're going to get a stroller, and I'm hoping they have the "cool" ones like at the mall with steering wheels -- he had a blast with one of those once.

Well, if I want to shower I'd better hurry before he wakes from his nap -- otherwise I have to put him in his exersaucer & hope he doesn't have a fit & make me get out 1/2 way through!
#8 of 113 Old 03-10-2004, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, this is the first time I have joined in on this board, I read all the time, but rarely post because I am usually on the computer with someone sleeping on me! Anyway, dd's B-Bay is 1-7. She is walking and into everything, she loves to climb, especially on the dining room table. She is a mama's girl, very clingy. She doesn't talk either, she'll say dada, but doesn't really connect it with dh, she hasn't started signing either. DD still nurses frequently, especially throughout the night, she is getting over a cold right now, so she has been rejecting solids for the past week or so. She is a long and skinny baby, I have a hard time finding pants that won't fall off of her! Madelyn throws screaming fits constantly now, if she is on the ground then she will actaully roll around screaming, if I am holding her then she'll arch her back and throw herself around in my arms. Sometimes she'll try to slap me which really shocked me at first because she had never seen it modeled. She also bites my shoulder, when I tell her "no biting, it hurts mommy", she just laughs at me so I'm still trying to figure out what to do there.

Madelyn still HATES her car seat, so we only leave the house one or twice a week, and when I do it takes me 5 minutes to wrestle her in her car seat, with her kicking, twisting, and screaming the entire time. I don't go anywhere by myself because I have to sit next to her. Both dh and I have to lay down with her at bed time, if dh doesn't come, she will open the door, stand there, and scream until he comes : . She still always nurses to sleep, has to have her nippy, and god forbid I actaully have to get up to pee during the night, she'll cry the entire time I'm gone. Wow, I don't think that she is a needy baby at all!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 113 Old 03-10-2004, 01:01 PM

Dylan Juliet was born 1-20. She started walking just before she was 9 months, but didn't really become a 'toddler' till recently.

It seemed like it happened overnight. Tantrums, talking, pretending... its so cute

She says about 30 recognizable (by me, anyway!) words. SHe is doing a combo of early potty learning and late EC. When it is nice she is nakey so that helps some.

She loves to say "Here you go" and hand people stuff! She also loves kitties (and knows they say "meow"). Any bird (from a cockatoo to a seagull/skyrat) is a "duCK!"

Her favorite game is to be chased. If she wants you to crawl after her she will squat down and bang her hands on the floor with a big smile on her face.

HI everyone! nice to see you here!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#10 of 113 Old 03-11-2004, 01:09 AM

I have two January 2003 toddlers and they are both so active I can hardly keep up with them anymore

Ella started walking at about 9.5 months but Izzy decided to take her time and didn't start walking until 12 months. They still are not saying too many words just hi, good (when they like a particular food), yeah, 'come (welcome). However, they seem to be able to talk to the dogs by barking and too each other in some language that I have not quite figured out. They are signing quite a bit for eat, more, sun, rain, toothbrush, and again.

It amazes me everyday how quickly they are able to learn things and catch on to what we are trying to communicate with them.

Just writing this makes me feel so lucky to have had two such wonderful human beings.

Thanks for letting me share!

Alisa, mama to Ella and Isabel (January 1, 2003)
#11 of 113 Old 03-11-2004, 12:18 PM

Twin talk, how cute! You are doubly blessed with two January 03 babes!!!!

Is anyone else's toddler obsessed with animals????

All birds are "du-CK"s and they all say 'WAWAWAWA-WAK!"

If it isn't a fish, dog, kitty (or Mow!), duck, or snake (actually 'ssss') it is a "KUHHHHHHHHLLLLL" (gutteral noise- I guess its the generic term for animal!)

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#12 of 113 Old 03-11-2004, 01:12 PM

Hi mamas! All of our babies sond so amazing! Aaron was born 1/26/03. Click on the link in my sig to see a birthday picture!

Aaron is not yet walking. He crawls like a speed demon, though! His favorite game is to get me to chase him through the downstairs of the house. He also enjoys crawling up the steps, and is just now learning how to get down them, too.

He's also learned about crying when he doesn't get his way! If, for example, I try and put his coat on, or change his diaper, or don't read a book for the third time through, or give him his nebulizer, a previously very mellow little guy throws himself on the floor and screams. He's also having a bit of separation anxiety, although it's strange - I drop him off at daycare, adn he screams when I leave - but I stand outside the door and listen, and he starts laughing again within about 30 seconds.

He is saying quite a few words - mama, dada, pop-pop, bubbles, Max, MOO, BAA, and QUACK. I think that the talking is SO much fun!

He still only has his 2 bottom teeth. The top ones seem like they are going to come any day! We brush teeth before bed, with a non-flouridated toothpaste.

Aaron nurses at morning, when I get home from work, and at bedtime. He drinks cow's milk during the day when I'm gone (the pump got hung up at a year!) and eats solids very well. He's learning to use a spoon by himself, and can usually do about half a container of yogurt or bowl or cereal!

Thanks for letting me brag on my little sweetie!
#13 of 113 Old 03-11-2004, 05:31 PM

Wow! Aaron sounds quite coordinated. Dylan is also learnig to spoon, but it is VERY messy! She has 9 teeth with a molar on the way!

#14 of 113 Old 03-15-2004, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gr8flmom
Wow! Aaron sounds quite coordinated. Dylan is also learnig to spoon, but it is VERY messy! She has 9 teeth with a molar on the way!
Well, maybe I'm exaggerating its impressiveness...it is definately a messy endeavor! I just think it is so cool that a year ago these little babies were just learning to breastfeed - and now they are feeding themselves yogurt with a spoon! If I could learn as much new stuff in a year as these little ones, I'd be a nuclear physicist or something.
#15 of 113 Old 03-15-2004, 01:54 AM

Ooooh....a place to brag!

I loved hearing all about the other Jan babies.

Raven is also eating yogurt with a spoon. I stirp her naked ahead of time, because it is very very messy, but she is getting pretty good at it.

Odd, but she WILL NOT drinnk out of any sort of cup, regular or sippy cup especially. She will drink if I hold it for her, but she won't do it herself. I finally got rid of the sippies altogether, and today she drank a little bit from a regular cup, but she needed lots of help.

She's not calling me mama. She makes the sign for "more" and says "moo" while she does it. She makes the sign for "nurse" and says "noo." She says book when she wants to read, but I'm the only one who recognizes it ("boo"). She waves bye-bye and says "da-da" for bye bye. She's pretty much naming concepts, but not objects/people. Hmm.

Her favirotie thing is to read herslef books. She turns the pages and babbles to herself and points at the pictures. She loves to read my books as much as hers, even though she's only looking at print and no pictures. Go figure.

Also haven't been brushing her teeth. Better start!

She walked at 10 mo.s and since then I can't contain her. When we're out somewhere, she couldn't care less if I'm around, because she's so busy exploring, but when we're at home she is attached to my leg or whatever body part.

She likes to stack stuff and play with her fisher price people. She likes to push toy cars and stuff and goes "brrrrr, brrrrr" while she does it.

She nurses all the time when we are at home together, not much at all when we are out, and wakes up 0-1 times during the night to nurse.

She loves to go down the slide at the park and play on the big play thingie with bridges and stuff to climb. Loves the swing.

Can't wait to hear about more babes!
#16 of 113 Old 03-15-2004, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cinnamonamon
my ds can't fit his finger in his nose either
As of March 12, 2004, 2pm est this statement is no longer accurate...
#17 of 113 Old 03-15-2004, 01:05 PM

:LOL Congrats, Ian, for finding your nose!!!

:LOL :LOL :LOL

BTW, I thought I'd add that my dd is also obsessed with animals and animal sounds...we live near a pond and she starts freaking out anytime we go near it... "Duck!!! Duck!!! Wack!!! Duck!!!" and she also loooooves any kind of dog.
Peace.
#18 of 113 Old 03-15-2004, 01:16 PM

:LOL Mamabeth -- my ds has 3 books with animals in them and I made the mistake of making the sounds of each animal -- now I am forced to read & re-read those books over & over & over again daily!

Oh, and Ian got his 2nd molar a few days ago! He was grinding them together yesterday -- that's how my dh discovered them -- it sounded awful!
#19 of 113 Old 03-15-2004, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, I guess Lindy really does have unusually small nostrils. Oh well, as my sister says, at least I won't have to worry about her picking her nose. There's no way she could fit even the tip of her pinky inside one of her cute little nostrils.

She's been learning to use a spoon and fork, with some success, but I don't think she could feed herself yogurt without it all falling off the spoon. Maybe the kind of yogurt we get just isn't thick enough. Do your kids all turn their spoons upside down when they put them in their mouths? At what age are they able to move the spoon to their mouth without doing that?

Lindy loves animals, too. We have a dog, and she loves to pant like the dog, or find the tail of a toy animal or a picture of an animal, then go over and find our dog's tail. She doesn't make animal noises (except panting), and doesn't say the names of any animals (or anything at all), but she can identify lots of animals in pictures (by pointing to the one we name.)

I'm feeling a little better about her not talking after looking at the baby book my mom kept for me. According to that, I had very few recognizable words when I was 12-15 months old - but by the time I was 22 months, I was using 5 or 6 word sentences, and by two I was talking constantly and very well. So maybe being slow to start talking just runs in the family.

I'm not inclined to worry too much, anyway, because she's obviously a very bright kid who understands a lot. She can respond appropriately to requests (without gestures) like, "Can you pick up the magnet and put it on the refrigerator?" She knows words like stomp, sniff, grab, lick, and squat. She can even identify half a dozen letters.

I'm still really, really looking forward to hearing her talk, though.
#20 of 113 Old 03-15-2004, 02:48 PM

Wow, I thought my dd was a genius because she could pick out the "1" from the fridge magnets...and now I hear that Lindy can recognize 6 letters already!!

We think dd is saying duck. It sounds awfully like da but we know it's really du.

Her grannie brought her a toy stroller this weekend and she loves to push it around with her dolly or teddy bear in it. It's also great outside. DD LOVES going outside. She's happy for hours out there. She's very steady on her feet now and knows to go down the stairs backwards so we're letting her have a little more freedom.

Let's see...what else. She still wakes many, many times per night. I think she's trying to kill me. Either that or she wants to remain an only child and she knows that I'll never consider getting pregnant when I'm so exhausted. The 9 month old in our mom's group is now sleeping 11 - 12 hours/night without a wake-up. GRRRRRR.

She's switching back and forth between 2 and 1 naps per day. It just depends when she gets up.

Nursing...all the time. Eating...not much. Although she loves chicken strips and french fries at the local bar and grill. Fried tofu is her other favorite.
#21 of 113 Old 03-15-2004, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daffodil
Do your kids all turn their spoons upside down when they put them in their mouths? At what age are they able to move the spoon to their mouth without doing that?
Practice, Practice, Practice! Raven at first turned the spoon up-side-down, but it only took her a couple of times before she figured it out. I helped her along, holding her hand so she wouldn't tip it, so that she could feel the contrast between twisting her hand and keeping it straight.
#22 of 113 Old 03-15-2004, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daffodil
Do your kids all turn their spoons upside down when they put them in their mouths? At what age are they able to move the spoon to their mouth without doing that?
You're giving your dc silverware & they're using it?! Never even occured to me! :LOL He will yank the spoon out of my hand occasionally and lead it to his mouth, but then he just bangs it or SMACK!s it in the bowl to splash the yogurt or whatever. I actually started to give him drinkable yo-baby yogurt cause I was too lazy, lol.
#23 of 113 Old 03-15-2004, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

See, this is why it's great to hear other people's experiences. I had been assuming that holding the spoon right-side-up while moving it to the mouth was probably an advanced skill that there was no point even trying to teach until Lindy was quite a bit older. But I guess I was wrong.

I was also assuming till recently that using a fork was an advanced skill compared to using a spoon. But then I got the idea one night to let Lindy give it a try and realized (duh!) that using a fork is actually easier than using a spoon.
#24 of 113 Old 03-16-2004, 03:33 AM

Er, maybe I'm making the spoon-feeding thing sound a lot smoother than it really is.

Mind you, when she is done eating, there is yogurt in her hair, on her arms, on her body, on the table, and on the chair!!!!

She knows how to scoop it out, and she knows how to get it in her mouth relatively straight. She does tip it at a 45-90 degree angle a lot.

I just go with the Montessori principle of letting kids figure out how to do things for themselves. I try to let her feed herself as much as possible. Tonight we had watery soup, however, and I took control, because it was just too liquidy and I knew that most of the soup was goign to wind up everywhere but her mouth.

Just because one kid is doing something, does not mean that every kid that age should be doing it. For example, I posted earlier that Raven does not yet want to drink out of a cup by herself.

Daffodil!!! I never thought of using a fork, either!!!! Duh....I suppose that will be our next project.
#25 of 113 Old 03-16-2004, 02:40 PM

Well, we use a fork but we spear the food and then give dd the fork. It works great...the food actually has a chance of making it into her mouth. DD does the "flip the spoon upside down just as it gets close to your mouth" thing too.

If we give her a bowl of food and a spoon she just plays. She makes no attempt to get the food actually into her mouth. So, we still spoon feed her for the most part.

As for sippy cups, we gave up on the no-spill one. She just couldn't suck hard enough to get anything out. Now we use ones that have an open spout. More mess as she usually wants to turn the cup upside down, but when she's thirsty she can now drink out of it.

As for teeth brushing, well we try. DD loves to suck on her toothbrush herself but hates it when we try to brush her teeth. Also hates having the toothbrush taken away from her but I am not comfortable letting her run around with it in her mouth. So, she's not allowed out of the bathroom with it. One of my biggest worries is that dd will get dental carries because of all the nursing she does at night. I freak out about it every couple of days and really try to brush her teeth, then I get complacent again and give it a rest for awhile.
#26 of 113 Old 03-16-2004, 11:49 PM

I got irritated wth the sippy cups as well -- what's the difference between those & bottles -- I mean geez! So I switched mostly to those cups with the straws in them -- they still minimize spills/leaks, and he enjoys them. My friend actually took their special straw out and just put a regular one in to make it even easier to suck.

Ian has started throwing finger food on the floor, but he will eat it if you spoon (or fork) it into him?? It took an unfortunate episode with fruit cocktail & later on one with (smooshed) peas to figure this out.... : :LOL
#27 of 113 Old 03-17-2004, 12:38 AM

Island Mommy, I did a search about breastfeeding at night and its connection to cavities, and there really wasn't one! For instance, skulls of children from many years ago show no sign of caries in the baby teeth. It didn't start happening till bottles came around. A bottle will drip in the mouth after the child is done sucking (called 'pooling') a breast doesn't. Dylan does the same with the toothbrush, sucks it and won't give it up!

She had Four new words today
keys
mouth
ear
hi

She can point out eye, nose, ear, and mouth and say them all, except 'nose' which she insists is a "DaaaaDaa" and then cracks up laughing:

#28 of 113 Old 03-24-2004, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well, what do you know? Lindy CAN stick her finger in her nose! She did it yesterday. Looking at the size of her fingers and the size of her nostrils, I was sure it was impossible, but I guess noses are pretty stretchy. It was a tight fit, though, and it didn't go in very far.

She'll be 14 months old tomorrow, and still isn't using any definite words. (Except "hey," which she says all the time, but I don't think that really counts.) She might have been trying to say "water" the other night, but she might have just been babbling. I read last night that a 14 month old typically can say about 10 words and understand about 100. I tried writing down and counting all the words I could think of off the top of my head that she knows, and got about 145, not including animals, or people's names, or letters and numbers. I know there are plenty more that I didn't think of. So I guess she's doing fine there. I just wish she'd decide to actually SAY one of those words.

So how are all you moms feeling these days, compared to a year ago? Getting back to normal mentally? Or am I the only one who stopped being my normal self after having a baby? Toward the end of Lindy's first year, I started noticing that I was feeling more like my old, pre-baby self - less irritable, able to think better. Nowadays I'm feeling quite a bit like my old self - though I found recently that I couldn't remember the formula for the area of a circle, so I guess I'm still not quite there. I'm still more irritable than before the baby, too, but it's much better than it was.
#29 of 113 Old 03-24-2004, 02:12 PM

Hi Daffodil,

I was just going to look for this thread when your post popped up. I'm much less irritable than I was before...I don't snap at dh nearly as much and can handle dd's nightwaking alot better. Of course, I take an anti-depressant so that could have something: to do with it.

We've got a few words

Du (duck)
Ha (hand)
Pi (ping...the noise the toaster oven makes when the toast is done)

I'm sure she understands far more than 100 words now though. She seems to understand everything we say to her.

Lots of weaning going on around me. In my moms group, the 12 month old is down to just 2 nursings at night, the 10 month old is down to 1 nursing in the morning and the 8 month old is going to Norway with her aunt in May so she'll be weaned by then. I'm feeling like I'm sort of getting left behind. I don't have any plans to wean dd anytime soon but once in a while I do feel a bit ambivalent about the whole nursing thing. It's usually when dd is up to her normal acrobatics or if she starts screaming when I don't get the boob in her mouth within 2.6 seconds of her waking up.

DH has just taken dd down to the neighbour's to feed their fish. She was clutching hard to the sides of her little white wagon. So cute.
#30 of 113 Old 03-24-2004, 02:34 PM

Don't feel left behind! My daughter nurses all the time. Seriously. Though she was recently nightweaned, about 2 weeks ago she had diarrheah (I can't spell) and wouldn't eat anything, so I encouraged her to nurse as much as possible. Well, the bug passed, but she is still nursing 4 times at night (most of it between2 and 6 am).

She seems to have a new word everyday. The latest is "no" which I don't know where she gets it. We try not to tell her "no", but correct offending behavior in other ways, but with a young toddler it is difficult. Anyway, she says it whenever she doesn't get her way (like when she has to get her hair washed, or when I take something dangerous away!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page