Potty regressing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any advice or help welcomed here....my daughter who will be three on the 30th of may was fully potty trained for about two months prior to last week when she was stricken with a gastro virus. A few bouts of vomiting and then several days of diarrhea then suddenly she is completely refusing to use the toilet. I've tried putting underwear on her as well as letting her go arou nd naked but nothing seems to work. She gets to the full on miserable stage and just when i think she'll go I put her on the toilet and she just throws a wicked tantrum and jumps down and stamps her feet. Eventually what ends up happening is she will go on the floor. I don't want to get upset with her but honestly I'm at a loss...help please!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 PM

A couple months back, our DD had a few days/week of diarrhea, and she ended up really sore from it, so whenever she went potty it would hurt (and she would start fussing when she knew she had to go). Maybe your DD is anticipating pain when she goes now, and is maybe specifically associating it w/ the potty? That being said, DD is also in a potty regression right now (as in, she will be naked and ask for a diaper to pee in rather then just sit on the potty), and I don't think it's related to the mentioned illness (started just a couple weeks ago).

I think these regressions can be fairly common when kiddos are picking up new things, so maybe she's focused on something else now? Sorry I don't have anything concrete to offer - mostly wanted to offer support! It can be frustrating (we've already lost one upholstered chair she always sat in to the regression That was before she started asking for diapers, and I think why she started asking for them).
Old 05-26-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Having potty trained numerous children over the course of 20 years (worked in day care) you would think I had it all figured out. Just totally didn't see this one coming. I figured that she might just be going through a new stage of development or something. 3 always seems worse than 2 as far as I'm concerned. I think I will just continue to let this go until she reaches that perfect point of wanting it. No reason to have wars over this stuff and I KNOW where she gets her stubborn nature from so if we go head to head neither of us will win! Thanks again

User Tag List