Too many Fevers/ Blood Work? Yikes - freaked out - help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry this is a little long, but I appreciate your comments.

So my pediatrician has me completely freaked out about my 14 month old son

Background: healthy until started daycare. One ear infection after another, accompanied by high fevers, the usual... eventually pulled him out.5 months he was there, he had 5 or 6 ear infections. Since end of Feb, he has been healthy, with one instance of about 101 fever, and Roseola the beginning of May (this has 3-5 days of very high fevers, then a rash breaks out and its over)

So, currently...
Sunday -DS throws up after milk, but seems fine afterwards.
Monday -starting to sound congested, has a 101.5 but seems ok. By 3pm getting warmer, throws up after milk, temp now at 104 (!) very cranky and then responds to medicine, and is happy.
Yesterday Morning- 100.2 fever, sleeps from 9-1pm, and then no medicine after 3pm with temps in the 98 range.
Today- 99.8 fever this morning but is happy, although not eating much, but is drinking. Had a semi-loose poop.

So - yesterday my Ped (and I appreciate that maybe he's just being very thorough and cautious) is concerned about this present episode, because symptoms are "too diffuse" and there is no clear cause for the present illness. (Tested negative for strep, no one at home appeared sick, etc) And he wonders about the past history of high fevers (my son does usually get high fevers when he has them)

He says if fever doesn't appear to be resolved in a couple of hours to bring him in again for blood work. Wow - I know he has had a bunch of fevers but is it THAT crazy to have had so many fevers - particularly since, in our minds, they all seem to be explained by stuff (multiple ear infections, roseola, random stomach viruses)??

We are both teachers at middle school and we have a 5 year old son...

How many fevers are too many? Would this make your ped think bloodwork? (my god - that could be so many bad things...) I'm just totally freaked out...

Thanks for reading - sorry this was so long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, nobody has any insight into this?
Old 05-26-2010, 04:46 PM

I'd probably just do the bloodwork because frankly, my DD doesn't care if you take her blood or not, it doesn't faze her. He probably just wants to check the white count, my ped does that if DD has been sick for several days. I'm not sure what the cause for alarm is, though. Sounds like a pretty typical virus.

I wonder, is your ped rather young? Most expereinced peds know that some kids just run high fevers. If my DD gets a fever, which she does several times a year, it almost always reaches 103 (and frequently 104 and slightly higher when she was younger). High fevers themselves are not concerning. We don't even medicate if she's comfortable. I guess I'd ask him what he's specifically worried about and what the blood work would be testing for.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 05-26-2010, 04:53 PM

I don't have any insight into your situation, but just wanted to share that when I was a toddler/young child I repeatedly had unexplained high fevers. I had tons of bloodwork done, no one ever found anything wrong, and I'm perfectly fine now at 28 years old.

I do still get unreasonably excited when I have to have blood drawn, though, from years of getting to visit the toy store after every blood test
Old 05-26-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I thought it sounded rather typical, too. And we haven't had many fevers since we stopped daycare and no longer get all the ear infections.

He's actually one of the older peds there, but I think just super cautious, which I like, except for now, when his bedside manner scares the hell out of me!!

Thanks Prothyraia - it didn't seem like too big a deal to me until now

I appreciate you mamas taking the time to respond!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Honestly, to me, it seems like your ped is being over-cautious. Those don't sound like unexplained fevers-- it just sounds like your LO has unfortunately run into a lot of illnesses this year, which tends to happen when kiddos first start group care. My DD1 was sick constantly (and thus her siblings were sick, too) the whole first year after she started preschool. It happens.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 05-26-2010, 08:59 PM

The only insight I have is that it sounds like a big dairy allergy/intolerance. There is a link somewhere in H&H (can't dig for it now, but you could post/search there) about recurring ear infections being related to dairy intolerances. Dairy produces excess mucous in the body (think excess mucous & little ears with poor drainage = infections)

Being sick from being in daycare is one thing, but that's a lot of ear infections it sounds like.

There is lot's of helpful mama's who know allergies/intolerances in the allergy forum if your looking for more clues

For the fevers I don't have any helpful insight there unfortunately - I hope all is well soon.

User Tag List