Bath Time Woes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-28-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some help. My 15 mo old dd has decided she hates baths. She starts crying as soon as we enter the bathroom. She arcs her back and screams when I try to lower her into the tub. If I lay her her down on the little bath thing that holds her up she rolls over and tries to climb out screaming at the top of her lungs. I've tried getting in with her. I've tried new toys in the tub. I've tried with and without her brother in the tub. She's a stubborn one. I need some suggestions. She doesn't like spongebathing either and screams through that as well. This is a very recent development from the end of April. Nothing traumatic happened to her in the bath and we haven't changed anything.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#2 of 5 Old 05-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Is it warm enough where you are to try bathing her outside in a kiddie pool while she's playing?

We went through this with my son, but getting in with him and getting some bath crayons, sponge letters, bubbles and bubble bath worked to distract him from his fears.

Good luck!

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#3 of 5 Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 PM

My LO did this too about that age. What worked for us was we filled the tub and let her stand next to it and play in the water to show her that it was ok. Someone told me that maybe she was scared of going down the drain, so when I pulled the plug, I tried stuffing different toys down the drain to show her that they wouldn't go down. And I talked to her about big vs. little and how only very little things could go down. After several days of that, she was fine again. HTH.

Mommy to (6-24-09)
Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.
#4 of 5 Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 PM

We are just now getting over this with out 22 month old. I feel like we tried everything! What is finally working for us (and mean working as in she only cries a little instead of flipping out) is singing a song that we also had to sing for a long time for brushing teeth. (Apparently hygiene is scary or bad to her.)
We sing, this is the way we wash our hair, wash our hair, wash our hair, just like (insert special person).

We change out the activity as needed and she gets to choose who we sing about. We usually go through a list of uncle (who is bald), grandma, cousins, her friends as needed.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#5 of 5 Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 AM

I feel your pain. My ds goes a few months hating baths, then wants two or three a day. No rhyme or reason. He is 30 months and currently hates them. He loves to play in the water, but he hates the be washed. He has no problem getting washed up at the sink (much more messy for me of course).

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page