Any tips for getting toddler to drink water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD could care less about water. She'll sip a bit from her sippy cup and then tries to pour the rest out. Any tips for getting her to drink it consistently? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 PM

Do you drink a lot of water? I've found my son doesn't have much interest in his sippy cups, but I carry around a bottle of water EVERYWHERE. So whenever I take a sip, I give him a sip, too. Plus I don't give him any other liquids (except breast milk and coconut milk sometimes now that my milk is drying up). So his only choice at meals is water. Good luck!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#3 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 10:07 PM

This might not be the most popular answer but when our DS did this we just add a small amount of juiced fruits or veggies to it. So 95% water, 5% juice. Sweetens it up, he drinks it all happily.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#4 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1. Big Boy water bottle just like Mom and Dad.

2. Lightly flavored water using herbal teas or things like cucumber or lemon.
#5 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughymama View Post
This might not be the most popular answer but when our DS did this we just add a small amount of juiced fruits or veggies to it. So 95% water, 5% juice. Sweetens it up, he drinks it all happily.
We do this sometimes. Some days DD will happily drink tons of water and other days she won't touch it unless it's almost half juice or decaf iced tea and lemon water.

obstruct livery vehicles

#6 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 AM

Getting a straw sippy cup (munchkin brand I think) made drinking more fun for DS and so he drinks more water now.
#7 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughymama View Post
We do this. Its the only way to get dd to drink enough fluids. She gets constipated easily so I cant risk her not drinking enough fluids. A straw cup helps too.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
#8 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 02:52 AM

DS is totally uninterested in water, unless I'm drinking it. He wants to drink out of a big person cup. So I'll put him on my lap and let him take gulps of my water. He sputters a bit sometimes, and he gets water all over his front usually... But it's just water, and he always gets so happy. Have you tried just giving sips out of a real glass or mug?

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#9 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everybody. I drink a ton of water usually out of the bottle. She pretends she's sipping laughs and hands it back. I'll try squeezing in some lemon to see if that helps and if it doesn't in a week or so I'll juice some fruit and mix some in.

She has a straw sippy but is totally uninterested in it...for now. LOL
#10 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 10:57 AM

I stopped using the sippy lids and started using the straw ones or sport bottle tops - made a big difference. I also add a small bit of juice sometimes, ice water popsicles are fun, and adding ice to the bottle (especially if she does it, and can see it) seems to help. Sometimes giving her odd drinking receptacles does the trick too -- she can pick whatever she wants out of the drawer and take it to the bathroom sink and drink: measuring cups, teaspoons, egg cups, muffin cups, ladle, etc.
#11 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
How old is your toddler? Is she still breastfeeding a lot?

My 17mo will drink at meals and out in the heat but she prefers the boob if she is thirsty and she will play with water if she isn't interested it. This seems to have been pretty normal with all five of the children.
#12 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

My 17mo will drink at meals and out in the heat but she prefers the boob if she is thirsty and she will play with water if she isn't interested it. This seems to have been pretty normal with all five of the children.
This is very similar to what we did. I didn't worry about how much DD drank as long as she was breast feeding. And I only offered water to drink. Once she weaned at 25 months, she was used to drinking water and it wasn't a problem.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#13 of 16 Old 06-02-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

She recently turned two and I unfortunately wasn't able to be breastfeed

I like the idea of the poster who said to make water popsicles.
#14 of 16 Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 AM

When water isn't cutting it for my kids I will ask them if they'd like rain juice or ocean juice instead. They happily choose one or the other. It's all water anyway, but they're happier about it if they think it's something cooler. I think they're in on the joke though cos they see me getting it from the same tap as "regular" water. Still... it works for us!

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#15 of 16 Old 06-03-2010, 02:49 AM

Maybe she isn't thirsty?

Or try an open cup?

Is she filling up on other things? Breastmilk? Formula? Cow's milk? Soft, liquidy foods?

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#16 of 16 Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 AM

Let her drink from your cup, or a neat bottle/jug/some other container. Or maybe get cute little containers to play water splash in and she can drink from that. DD will drink water from her cup, but she went through a spell where big people's glasses or the big water jug we take along with us in the car is wayyyy more appealing than her own cups to drink from.

signature currently in transition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page