How many words/phrases can your 18 month old say? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first child had many words at that point...,i have no clue how many, but a lot.

My current baby had none.....maybe 1 word, but essentially none....he hit his second birthday with maybe 4-5 singular words.....and right after that got his verbal explosion and now at 29 months has hundreds of words and is completely "normal" for language development. I am EXTREMELY glad i listened to my gut and did not put him in speech therapy last year (even though technically, he was delayed significantly in language) because he just needed to do it in his own time.

CPST
#32 of 37 Old 06-07-2010, 02:13 PM

Nigella has over a hundred words at this point, but a lot of them are very baby-talk ish and garbled (like shirt is "dirt," pants are "bats") or the animal noise instead of the word (so for bird she says "tweet" and sheep are "baaas")

She's recently started putting words together- more juice, all done, my cup, mommy's glasses, etc.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#33 of 37 Old 06-07-2010, 02:32 PM

My DS had I don't know how many words at that point. He was speaking in 5 word sentences by 17 months, although not always using pronouns, etc. One sentence I remember at about 18-19 months was "that lion man scared my Caden boy" telling us something on a movie had scared him. He was also very advanced in gross motor skills. Not so great with fine motor-maybe not behind, but definitely not ahead.

DD is 17 months now. I don't count the words, but she is really having a major language explosion the last couple of week. Mama, Dada, mine, all done, nose, batman, please, hi good girl (to any animal ), several more I can't think of. She is also average in gross motor. BUT her fine motor is a lot more advanced. So it's pretty interesting to see the differences between the 2 kids.

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#34 of 37 Old 06-07-2010, 02:47 PM

My son is 19 months old. His words are: mama, papa, bye-bye, and anana (banana). My older two were talking in sentences by this point, but I'm not worried. He'll talk when he's ready.
#35 of 37 Old 06-07-2010, 03:07 PM

DS just turned 16 months & has 150-200 words. He had some 2 or 3 word phrases but mostly just uses 1 word at a time... and many of the words sound very similar. My favorites are 'pup pup' (puppy) & 'pagun' (playground) The weirdest word he says is 'gnaacht' (stick) -- most of his words aren't so far off pronunciation-wise, so I have no clue where that one came from!! He also 'sings' (i.e. baa-baa black sheep & rock-a-bye baby) but it sounds more like "ba ba BA BA ba ba ba", he doesn't say all the words, only one or two.

I'm looking forward to seeing if he has another big explosion at 18 months, I love hearing him talk!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#36 of 37 Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 PM

Jack is 18 months plus 2 weeks. We just made a list of all we could thing of, he says 14 words, and 8 phrases like "bye bye" "all done" "want some" and "oh sh*t"

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#37 of 37 Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When he DS was 18mo he couldn't say anything. He didn't start saying Mama until just after his second birthday. We did do sign language, so he had at least 200 signs before he started talking (which helped A LOT!). His language has always been a bit delayed, but now at 6yo he's pretty much caught up. He fully learned to read when he was 5 and was in the top of his kindergarten class. I was never worried because he was so advanced in other areas. He could put 5 wooden puzzles together (from 1 pile) by the time he was 14mo old. It is amazing how each kid is so different.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page