~* Feb '08 Mommies Staying Cool in the Summer June-September*~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 08-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat View Post
Man, it must be hard to not be able to afford your medication! I can't even imagine.

I'm cleaning today too, gotta get my office up and running again. You should see the mountain of stuff on my desk right now!
It really is. Especially because I started to feel soo normal on them. A social butterfly like I'd never been. And now I'm back to cringing when I have to make a phone call and panicking when I have to do things alone or with people I don't know.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#62 of 69 Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Dea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
It really is. Especially because I started to feel soo normal on them. A social butterfly like I'd never been. And now I'm back to cringing when I have to make a phone call and panicking when I have to do things alone or with people I don't know.
Do you have anxiety problems? I read this and though, whoa, it's me! I don't take anything for it, just force myself thought it (so not really all that bad) but I know what it's like. I was at a meeting and I was going to take my kids, but Adam ended up coming home early, and at the meeting I was so uncomfortable. I think I'm feeling better in groups of people I don't know because I have my children with me, they're like the great equalizers, it's easy to start a conversation, but without them, I'm all befuddled!

ANYHOW.
Hudson has had a fever all weekend, and now today. I'm starting to get a little freaked out. I'd like to say that I'm just letting it burn, but it's been to 104, generally around 103 and that's too high for me.
what would you do?

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#63 of 69 Old 08-17-2010, 12:40 AM

Just popping in to say I'm reading, lovin' on you all, and hoping for peace and joy all around!

Congrats Slgt on the new baby!!
#64 of 69 Old 08-17-2010, 01:56 AM

Fevers are great fun. My strategy varies by child. At 104: Bean would get motrin, water and rest; Boobah would go immediately to the doctor without passing go; Bella would get motrin, water and rest; Bear would vary depending on symptoms but probably see a doctor within 48 hours (less, if he was vomiting a lot/having diarrhea/covered in hives, etc). Bean & Bella are both very healthy and sturdy kids, and they don't get sick very often. Boobah has a congenital kidney disorder, so even without other [obvious] symptoms I'd be very concerned about any sustained fever over 102.5 and would take her in for blood work without hesitation. Bear, of course, is Bear.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#65 of 69 Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
Do you have anxiety problems? I read this and though, whoa, it's me! I don't take anything for it, just force myself thought it (so not really all that bad) but I know what it's like. I was at a meeting and I was going to take my kids, but Adam ended up coming home early, and at the meeting I was so uncomfortable. I think I'm feeling better in groups of people I don't know because I have my children with me, they're like the great equalizers, it's easy to start a conversation, but without them, I'm all befuddled!

ANYHOW.
Hudson has had a fever all weekend, and now today. I'm starting to get a little freaked out. I'd like to say that I'm just letting it burn, but it's been to 104, generally around 103 and that's too high for me.
what would you do?
I've had nasty anxiety issues since my mom died. I've had them to a lesser degree all my life (there, but still functional) but it's gotten to the point of having panic attacks randomly and with no rhyme or reason (not functional.) It can take me anywhere from a couple hours to a day to recover from one. And I can't stop them on my own. I've tried. Fighting it makes it last longer than if I just let it go (which I usually do if I'm in a place where I can i.e. not at work in front of prisoners) Of course anxiety and depression go hand in hand so the more anxiety I have, the more I become a recluse, the more depressed I get. Hopefully this new plan of working out with friends (we're starting a weight loss challenge) will help a little.

As for the fever, keep watching it...that's exactly what happened to Austin when he got Roseola. The only way to know (without dr.) is to wait for the rash. If he seems uncomfortable, I would do a luke warm bath, a little Motrin, and lots of snuggles.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#66 of 69 Old 08-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
Hopefully this new plan of working out with friends (we're starting a weight loss challenge) will help a little.
That sounds like fun!!! hope it helps.

My little Jackson has such the imagination! Today he is carrying around the silverware holder from the dishwasher getting my to put my "recycling" and "cigarette butts" (we don't smoke but for some reason he is obsessed with them) in it...

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#67 of 69 Old 08-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Sarah Lynne, my naturopath really helped me with my anxiety issues. She used non-drug techniques and I did not need to keep coming back, so it wound up being very inexpensive. It might be worth looking into, at least until you can afford your meds again.

:

I can only imagine how tough it must be for you.

Dea, I've had something similar happen in social situations. I don't have a partner to leave Terran with, but suddenly I'm not shy any more and I seem to have tons of friendly conversations wherever I go. People recognize me and stop to compliment me on Terran's hair and eyes or the fact that I still wear him or that I've been making an effort to take him to festivals, concerts, and other community events. I expected all the attention to be short lived, but it's still happening and I am slowly getting over my defensiveness and losing my expectation that a friendly comment will become thinly veiled barbed criticism because it usually doesn't. When I'm having a rough day, the best thing to do is to get out of the house because something invariably happens that makes me marvel at how NICE the human race is.
#68 of 69 Old 08-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Dea

Sarah Lynn, I hope you don't think I was implying that you should suck it up. I don't believe that at all. I used to think that with anxiety/ depression and such that you could just suck it up, but then I watched my brother spiral into a horrible depression, anyhow I've learned a lot. I hope you can get the help you need!

So Hudson's fever broke, he had it for 3 days! There is no rash, and no other symptoms that we can tell. he might have a headache or a sore throat, he's a little more clingy than normal. I talked to an advise nurse and she advised acetaminophen and I told her that he gags and pukes when we gave it to him, so she said that she's okay with us not giving him any, since the fever isn't going to hurt him. So yay I agree with her. But weird how she worded it, that she's okay with it. I love allopathy! heh.

I hosted a blessingway for a friend and it was fun! I can't remember the right way to word it so that it's not offensive, can anyone speak to that?

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#69 of 69 Old 08-20-2010, 04:25 AM

Birth Blessing or Baby Blessing Ceremony/Gathering/Party works. Really anything that isn't "Blessingway", from what I remember of that ridiculously long thread.

I had an incredibly long day yesterday... but the kids were all fantastic. First Bear woke up with dry pants and when I went to put him on the potty Bella came out of Mike's room. After our usual morning exchanges she said, "I think Bear will miss me today. Can I go to the doctor's too?" She was very sweet and helpful. Bear was very cooperative for the doctor, who said that his left tube looks like it might be working it's way out. If that happens, there's an excellent chance (given family history and Bear's Bearianism) that he'll have to have them replaced. Hopefully they won't come out for another six months or so.

I took them to see my mom & nieces afterward. Bella inspired C.Wobbles (my youngest sister's youngest, who turned three in May) to ask politely when she wanted things and to play nicely. My mom watched Bear use the toilet all afternoon and became disgusted by the fact that C.Wobbles is content to wear the same diaper all day long; She insisted that C.Wobbles wear underpants (she's got *tons*) for the rest of the day. I don't know how that went, I'll find out when I call in the morning. In any case, my little ones were both fabulous-- sweet, polite, cooperative, impressive little people. When I thanked Bella for being so helpful she said, "I'm proud of you, Mama!" and kissed my cheek. *melt*

Chibi talked about how she's going to get her s*** in gear for the coming school year-- she's an eighth grader, so these things are important for the first time.

I asked my mom and Chibi to keep me in mind when they were going through clothing that doesn't fit anymore; I'm collecting sturdy fabric to make things for the kids, who will otherwise be rather scantily clad once the weather cools. I also told them that I'll happily make some things for them, provided that if they buy fabric they buy extra so that I can use it for the kiddos. I've already made a few things for the girls; This weekend I'll make my first attempt at jeans for Bean and Bear. Thus far my experiments have gone fairly well. It's like riding a bike, I guess, it all just comes back. One of my friends linked me to a blog posted by a woman who is transforming "dollar dresses" into new, wearable items for herself. That's pretty much what I'm doing, only for the kiddos.

Being poor blows, but I've got more of a grip than ever on necessity being the mother of invention.

When I got home, I had to spend two hours cleaning up with Mike; The landlord is trying to sell this place and he and the realtor needed to do a walk-through. Bean and Boobah were both incredibly cooperative and helpful, and both did a fair amount of work. They were so pleased to be useful, and I was very impressed with them. Despite the fact that the whole business of putting this place on the market is likely to prove absolutely wretched for us, the kids' super helpful behavior meant that the experience was a decent one over all.

Not only did they behave excellently toward me, but they were sweet with one another as well. When we got home, for example, Bella was extremely uncomfortable and Bear had the headache/stomachache he frequently has after car travel. Boobah made sandwiches for both of them all by herself (no mean feat considering that Bear's bread is a) kept in the fridge and b) not terribly easy to spread things on even after it's been toasted-- it requires finesse) and got each of them a cup of water. Bean was very patient with Bella while she cried her car miseries out of her system, and with Bear while he got back up to speed.

Anyhow, an incredibly long day but the kids were fabulous. I didn't sleep at all last night, and that alone could have meant the day would be disastrous. I've managed to sleep a bit tonight, but not for more than an hour and fifteen minutes at a time. I had four or five hours the night before, so I'm not exactly running on full. Anyhow, I'm going to try to sleep again now. Wish me luck & lullabies!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page