Easy-to-use cloth diapering recommendations? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I'm new to this forum, first-time mom to a wonderful, very active 11-month old boy. I want to make the switch from disposables to cloth and have absolutely no experience with cloth diapering. I've been looking at all of the mothering articles and videos, but am feeling overwhelmed.

Anyone have any experience with Best Bottom or other similar systems? Recommendations on a good, relatively less expensive, easy-to-use system would be much appreciated!

Also, what other things do I need besides a pail and wet-bags for storage when we're out and about?

Thanks!!
#2 of 6 Old 06-09-2010, 12:46 PM

I use all kinds of diapers. I have fitteds and covers, aoi (all in ones) os (one sizes) and the new flip system. I like them all. I think trying one or two of a few kinds is the best way to find your favorite. I get some from cloth diaper swaps, and online sites like http://www.diaperswappers.com/

The one thing I can not live with out is the sprayer attached to my toliet. I use it to spray the poop off (that does not get caught by the rice paper liner also a great thing imo). and I use it to spray out the shower after I clean it!! Bonus!!!!!!!!!!
#3 of 6 Old 06-09-2010, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I felt overwhelmed too so started out with simple prefolds and covers. They're great! I've also tried g-diapers, and a lot of different pockets and AIOs. My stash is now huge and varied. In the end, my all time favourites are Coolababy AIOs from Ebay. They're a bit controversial because you order right from China but they have worked out the best for us and the shipping was no problem. They are a bit big so would never work for a newborn (even though they claim to be one size) but fit my big guy very well from about 6 months on. They will see him through to potty learning no problem. Because of the cost, I was able to buy a LOT of them too (40) so I don't have to do laundry very often.

You should post this in the Diapering forum and poke around a bit there. I have to warn you though - everyone has a different preference and recommendation so it might not make your decision any easier. Something to consider would be a starter trial kit. Many of the popular cloth diaper on-line stores provide them, as do baby boutique type stores. Many of the stores around me also offer information sessions to help out newbies with all the choices.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#4 of 6 Old 06-09-2010, 03:55 PM

I'm kind of obsessed with cloth diapers and have done a lot of research, and IMO this is one of the best trial deals out there:

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ.../tryclothfor10.

You get a sample of all of their most popular types of diapers, enough for 12 diaper changes, to use for 21 days. You pay an upfront deposit of $150, but they refund all but $10 when you return the diapers after 21 days. So basically you get 21 days with the diapers for $10. The package includes prefolds and covers, pockets, and all-in-ones. They're all pretty expensive brands, but they're really good too! Keep in mind when you're thinking about expense that you will save all the money you're spending on disposables right now...even the most expensive cloth diapers are still much cheaper than disposables. Also, you can sample to figure out what you like and then buy more of that brand cheap on diaperswappers.com.

(BTW, I don't work with them or anything--have never bought diapers from this site, actually. Just think it's a great deal.)

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#5 of 6 Old 06-10-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
I felt overwhelmed too so started out with simple prefolds and covers. They're great!
I've tried a lot of different kinds too, and the prefolds seem to be the simplest. They wash easily (no special soaps, no needing extra rinses), they don't hold stains and smells like some others, you can use diaper rash cream with them without worrying that you're ruining your diapers, they are far and away the cheapest option out there, and they'll last you through 2-3 kids (making them even cheaper in the long run).

That said, I haven't met anyone who switched to cloth and wasn't pretty pleased with the results, no matter what choice they made. Be they prefolds, pockets, all-in-ones, systems (like GroBaby or G-Diaper)... Everyone I know who has tried ANY kind of cloth has thought that it was livable. People around here get VERY excited about their diapers, but if you're feeling overwhelmed, remember that there isn't a wrong way to cloth diaper.

And for going out, you really just need the wet bag. Be sure that when you're putting the dirty one in there, if it's a pocket, to break it down before you put it in. Same with covers, make sure you put the laundry tabs where they should be. Then you don't have to go fishing in the wet bag for it later. Just dump the whole thing in the wash!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#6 of 6 Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 AM

I would look for a pocket diaper with snaps. I CAN NOT use a prefold on a toddler they just wiggle to much. I got a much of my pocket diapers off diaper swappers used. I much prefer snaps to velcro. Jack can take velcro diapers ( an posies) off himself

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page