What "junk food" does your toddler eat? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 62 Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a limited food budget so it is not possible for us to eat the way I want us to...I am well aware of the healthier alternatives to super processed junk food like newman's chocolate for example, annie's mac n cheese and so forth. When I catch those things on sale or special I stock up. For example, we found snack size bags of craisins (just dried fruit sweetened with sugar) on sale. I bought a bunch of them and dole them occasionally as "dessert" or a special treat for ds. For popsicles, we make our own, or (again, when on sale) I will buy the Edy's whole fruit bars. Ds is limited to three snacks a day (and he can't have three bags of craisins in one day!)

For cookies I usually bake our own and I am going to start making our own crackers as well. Our actual meals are mostly from scratch, but we can't afford to use raw milk, organic local meat/veggies and so forth. Store-bought processed foods that ds eats regularly (as in, once or twice a week)
cheez its or pringles or whatever cracker/chip is on sale
something off the ice cream truck once a week (usually saturday) I think the whole ice cream truck thing has gotten ridiculously expensive and the stuff is garbage, but I let ds buy off it once a week or so with his own money.
hot dogs--we aim for the perfect balance of low price and low preservatives
canned fruit in 100% juice, which I don't really consider a processed food, but not as good as fresh either.

On crazy days with tons of errand running ds is sometimes allowed to get a "7-11 lunch" which consists of half a cup of slurpee (only the white because he can't have the food coloring) and a lunchable. blech. He loves it however, and I save the lunchable containers and reuse them to make him homemade, healthy "lunchables" at home.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#62 of 62 Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was very strict until my ds was about the same age as yours. I am a little more linient now, with him and my 16 mo dd. I let them have chips, cookies, cake, ice cream. Pretty much everything, but it is almost always organic and as healthy as I can get. Cookies are usually kashi, type thing.
But my in-laws are almost all... kinda crazy with junk food. They put it on a pedestal for some weird reason (or several). And I don't want my kids to ever feel like I deny them things. I just try really hard to encourage healthy eating as much as possible, and then let them get the experience of both the healthy junk I offer, and the crap filled junk offered otherwise, so they can compare how each thing makes them feel.
Hope that makes sense...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page